08 TL Type S is not blowing hot air until set to 31degrees

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 TL Type S is not blowing hot air until set to 31degrees

Hi all,

I posted this earlier about my heater not working until I set the temperature in my car to 31degrees. Initially when I got the car 15000 km ago (car is now ow hot air when I set the temperature to 25 degrees Celsius. Over time, it has gotten worse progressively, as I drove the car that minimum temperature increased first to 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 and now its 31 degrees.

The coolant level is fine, the water pump has been replaced, I believe there is no air in the system as the car cools fine, the temperature gauge e don't bounce around. The car does take really long to cool down after it is turned off but I'm pretty sure that's unrelated.

Last time I posted this, people suggested either the HVAC mixer or the heater control valve. Today, I took the cable off the heater control valve and manually adjusted the opening. I set the temperature to 31 degrees and manually opened and closed the valve. When the valve was open, it blew hot air and when it was closed, it blew room temperature/cold When I decreased the temperature below 31, no matter whether I opened or closed the valve, it blew the room temperature/cold air. When I was doing the diagnosis, I also noticed, the vent on top of the navi screen on the drivers side wasn't blowing any air.

This makes me think it's not the heater control valve itself as I manually opened and closed it and nothing changed at the lower temperatures (below 31 degrees Celsius). This makes me think its the HVAC mixer.

What is everyone's thoughts on this and can anyone point me in the right direction? How do I go about replacing the HVAC mixer?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
So why not continue the discussion in the original thread?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was a while back and I thought I'd get some new input but I'll try that.