AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   07 TL-S CEL flashing at high RPM @ WOT (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/07-tl-s-cel-flashing-high-rpm-%40-wot-978760/)

Myles C 12-03-2018 08:04 AM

Buying a TL-S 6MT with intermittent misfires

Hey everyone, I’m new to this forum. I’m looking into buying an Acura TL Type-S (A-Spec) with a 6 speed manual. The car has about 210k KM on it, runs and drives great. However, when I went to check the car out and my buddy plugged his OBD II Scanner in, we discovered a code for random misfires in cyl 3, and 6. Other than that, there’s one bubble of rust starting in rear wheel well (minor) and it will need new hood struts. The buyer is asking 8500 (CDN) certified. I’m thinking new spark plugs and coil packs should fix the issue, but I wanted a second opinion from those who have owned one of these cars. Engine light was off but turned on once we scanned the car. It was not noticeable, no excessive shaking at idle, no major “tractor noises” from the exaust.
Thanks to anyone who can give any advice!

horseshoez 12-03-2018 08:09 AM

Welcome to AZ!

The price sounds pretty good for a 2007-2008 Type-S 6MT; almost too good, even with the misfire. Plugs and coil packs may fix the issue but are by no means guaranteed to fix it.

Jackass 12-03-2018 08:57 AM

Coils, plugs, bent valves, dirty/stuck EGR....I think those are the main culprits I remember reading about on here over the years for random misfires.

nfnsquared 12-03-2018 09:03 AM

Run Forest, Run!!! If the owner hid this fact from you, he knows it's bad and I would assume he knows he over revved the engine...

losiglow 12-03-2018 09:13 AM

I'd still consider it as long as it's not internal damage. If you're willing to do it, or pay a mechanic to do it, I'd consider a leak down and compression test. If it's due to valve damage, those tests will show it. If they come back good, then it's probably something more minor that would be worth the fix.

Myles C 12-03-2018 12:23 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm trying to get the owner to fix the issue and sell the car certified for 8500 but he seems hesitant as if it's too much of a bother to him. He also doesn't want to move from 8700 to 8500 so i may have to move on.

90foxnotch 12-03-2018 02:56 PM

From what Ive read this is a pretty common issue with the J-series. If he will look into the issue more I would buy the car, do not let $200 make or break your decision, the type s 6mt is worth it.

horseshoez 12-03-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch (Post 16342887)
From what Ive read this is a pretty common issue with the J-series. If he will look into the issue more I would buy the car, do not let $200 make or break your decision, the type s 6mt is worth it.

What is a common issue for the J-Series? Misfires? Well yes, sort of. The point you're missing is with a 6MT model there is what is known as a "money shift"; basically downshift from say 5th to 2nd while at high RPMs and kiss the contents of your wallet goodbye. When such things happen (and they can happen even to automatic models if the timing belt breaks), then things get bent and money gets spent.

So, while the car in question may only require new plugs and coils, there is also a good likelihood the issue is bent valves, and that ain't no $200 job.

90foxnotch 12-03-2018 04:14 PM

Don’t worry I’m plenty familiar with the money shift, thankfully not personally though. What I am saying is that misfires are common on jseries due to wrong spark plugs and coills. Hopefully the seller will have it diagnosed further and it’s something minor. OP ask about the maintenance history. Plugs, timing belt etc

horseshoez 12-03-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch (Post 16342938)
Don’t worry I’m plenty familiar with the money shift, thankfully not personally though. What I am saying is that misfires are common on jseries due to wrong spark plugs and coills. Hopefully the seller will have it diagnosed further and it’s something minor. OP ask about the maintenance history. Plugs, timing belt etc

Hmmm, I have nearly 150,000 miles of J-Series experience and to date, I've had a single misfire event which ended up being an easily diagnosed coil failure. Most folks I know with J-Series engines have never had a misfire event; so while misfires are certainly not unheard of, I wouldn't go so far as to say they are "common".

Long story short, the car in question may have a simple coil failure (unless Bosch plugs are in the engine I rather doubt it is a plug issue), but there is an extremely good likelihood the problem is far more expensive than $200.

losiglow 12-03-2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16342945)
(unless Bosch plugs are in the engine I rather doubt it is a plug issue)

Didn't think of that. It's worth checking. If an indy mechanic did the timing belt service, they may have replaced the plugs with Bosch, Autolite, Champion, etc. which don't play nice with Honda engines. All Honda/Acura motors I've ever worked with specifically use NGK spark plugs. There's a few instances of folks going to replace plugs on these where they found the wrong brand.

Pair of TLs 12-03-2018 09:16 PM

Did you drive it?

Or just listen to it idle?

Myles C 03-08-2019 12:05 PM

07 TL Type-S 6MT P0302-305 Multiple Random Misfire

I recently bought a 2007 TL Type-S 6speed with 178,000km. I’ve driving it for about two weeks and put about 800km on it. A few days ago I started my car and as I pulled out of the parking lot and got into 3rd gear, I accelerated at 40% throttle. around 3500RPM the car began to shake and engine light started flashing as well as a noticeable smell of gas at stoplights (window down) and a noticeable loss of power. After scanning the car I got P0300, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305. When the car is cold the engine light stays solid. When the car warms up it begins flashing while driving and at idle. Any advice would be appreciated!

thoiboi 03-08-2019 12:07 PM

if you do a a search on those codes here, you'll see that it's typically a bad coil that can cause that or bad gas or a clogged cat.

Myles C 03-08-2019 12:10 PM

It seems unlikely that 4/6 coil packs went bad at once which is why I’m sceptical. Makes a clogged cat seem more realistic.

thoiboi 03-08-2019 12:12 PM

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that there have been reports of of if a single coil pack went bad, then the car would throw a random misfire code symptomatically.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Myles C 03-08-2019 12:13 PM

I did fill up the day prior to my misfire... could it be as simple as burning off the rest of my fuel and clearing the code + a new tank of gas?

justnspace 03-08-2019 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Myles C (Post 16395052)
I did fill up the day prior to my misfire... could it be as simple as burning off the rest of my fuel and clearing the code + a new tank of gas?

well, test your theory.

then test the coil pack theory...

then if either of those test come back negative, have compression and leak down test done.

NOONE knows what is exactly wrong until YOU test it

xSunnyy 03-08-2019 01:32 PM

Check your cylinder 5, that's the front middle one. Also if you have navigation system which you should go into messages and see which code came first that's usually the bad plug or coil. I had my 5th cylinder come loose and had multiple misfires til I got to a mechanic and got it changed.

Myles C 03-08-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by xSunnyy (Post 16395131)
Check your cylinder 5, that's the front middle one. Also if you have navigation system which you should go into messages and see which code came first that's usually the bad plug or coil. I had my 5th cylinder come loose and had multiple misfires til I got to a mechanic and got it changed.

thankyou but how do I find the messages? I tried going into the diagnostics screen and couldn’t find them

xSunnyy 03-08-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Myles C (Post 16395169)

thankyou but how do I find the messages? I tried going into the diagnostics screen and couldn’t find them

Just select the information button and then messages..

Myles C 03-08-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by xSunnyy (Post 16395174)
Just select the information button and then messages..

theres no message option on my screen under info.

xSunnyy 03-08-2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Myles C (Post 16395191)

theres no message option on my screen under info.

Nothing in any of your menu screens? They should have one

Myles C 03-10-2019 10:28 AM

So this is where I’m at: I swapped out my spark plugs since I already had the spare parts and most of the old plugs looks like they were still in pretty good shape but after testing the coil packs, I discovered one of them was dead after pulling them one by one to see if the idle sound changed. Ordered all 6 to rule that out of the equation, hoping this will turn the CEL off or at least get it to stop flashing. Throttle body wasn’t very dirty but sprayed some intake cleaner down there to make sure.

vpasla1 03-10-2019 11:20 AM

You probably just needed one coil. But no harm in replacing all six I guess.

Myles C 03-12-2019 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by vpasla1 (Post 16395757)
You probably just needed one coil. But no harm in replacing all six I guess.

so I bought all 6, only replaced the 1 and I haven’t had anymore codes and misfire seems to be completely gone... I’ve yet to scan it. I would’ve thought it was more complicated since 4 cylinders were detecting misfires

Myles C 03-12-2019 11:21 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1b1eb5417.jpeg
Also, with the CEL on still, this is all that was on my information screen. No messages

thoiboi 03-13-2019 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Myles C (Post 16397174)

so I bought all 6, only replaced the 1 and I haven’t had anymore codes and misfire seems to be completely gone... I’ve yet to scan it. I would’ve thought it was more complicated since 4 cylinders were detecting misfires

Huh who would've known.. :dunno:

:whistle:

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16395051)
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that there have been reports of of if a single coil pack went bad, then the car would throw a random misfire code symptomatically.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Myles C 03-13-2019 12:18 AM

Won’t hurt to have the extras. Knowing my luck the other 5 will go lol

xSunnyy 03-13-2019 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Myles C (Post 16397177)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1b1eb5417.jpeg
Also, with the CEL on still, this is all that was on my information screen. No messages

Is that the information screen or the menu screen? There should be an option to select messages.

thoiboi 03-13-2019 10:27 AM

I just hope you bought OEM ones, or else you're going to be in for a surprise when the code pops up again :tongue:

truonghthe 03-15-2019 07:59 AM

if one cylinder is misfiring it will throw a multiple firing code as well, it seem in your case you had solved the problem by replacing coil pack.

Myles C 03-26-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16397310)
I just hope you bought OEM ones, or else you're going to be in for a surprise when the code pops up again :tongue:

Car ran fine up until yesterday did a pull from 2nd to 4th, once I hit 4th engine light starts flashing. As i start slowing down the light went off completely... Changing the other 5 packs today, i didn't get a cheap quality brand of coils however they aren't Acura/Honda brand... I didn't think it would make a huge difference

Myles C 03-26-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by xSunnyy (Post 16397208)
Is that the information screen or the menu screen? There should be an option to select messages.

Info, 3rd button from the left. Menu button brings me to address book, previous destinations etc.

Myles C 03-26-2019 11:22 AM

04-08 TL coils on a 07 Type S?

I'm looking into lowering my 07 TL Type S, and I'm wondering if springs/coilovers are interchangeable between the base model and the Type-S. I know it may be a dumb question but I want to make sure i don't end up with parts that don't fit. Thanks to anyone who can help out!
Also, if anyone wants to put their 2cents in about putting lowering springs on factory suspension feel free. If I'm going to destroy my struts then I'll just spend the extra money on coils but if the car will ride nice then I may just go with springs.

EvilVirus 03-26-2019 11:26 AM

Interchangeable YES
Go with coilovers. Check out our vendors and read the threads in the suspension section

justnspace 03-26-2019 11:33 AM

I thought I was saving money by going with just springs..but in the end, i ended up buying coilovers any way.
start with coils to begin with!

thoiboi 03-26-2019 11:59 AM

Don't say I didn't warn you :whistle:

Denso/Hitachi or you'll be revisiting this problem relatively soon

Myles C 03-26-2019 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16403591)
Don't say I didn't warn you :whistle:

Denso/Hitachi or you'll be revisiting this problem relatively soon

I used Intermotor Genuine Import Parts coils. Made in Poland. I’ll be sure to get Denso or Hitachi in the future if your hunch turns out to be right, thanks for the heads up!

Myles C 03-26-2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by EvilVirus (Post 16403576)
Interchangeable YES
Go with coilovers. Check out our vendors and read the threads in the suspension section

Great! That gives me lots of options. I think I’ll end up going with coils, I’ll check it out. Thanks for the reply :thumbsup: