'06 Acura TL Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Acura TL Won't Start

I have a stock 06 Acura TL 3.2 with 56,000 kms on it. It was idling today and suddenly died. The lights, radio, etc work, but it will not start, it just clicks. I tried boosting it and it still will not start. Now , when I turn the lights on, they flash alternately?? It has been working fine until now, except my wife says she smelled something burning briefly the other day, but it worked fine afterwards - until now.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
When the booster was used, did the car turn over and not start, or was there just a click sound?
When the booster was tried were all the accessories still on, eg heater, lights, etc?
Although a booster should have started the car, I would first check the battery connections to make certain they are cleaned then tightened properly.
Put a MM (multimeter) on the battery to check the condition, should be @ 12.5. You can also turn on the lights and have someone try and start the car and watch the lights, should dim considerably or go out if bad battery. If so have the battery charged then tested.
It's a start.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yikes..hope you find out the problem. seems to be a pretty serious issue. I'm pretty sure you still have your Acura warranty right?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I had the SAME thing happen to my 06 this summer, and even with a car hooked up to mine it would not start. had it towed to the dealer, turned out it was just a battery. i guess in 06 they had and issue with the batteries they used and the plates would break loose and fuse together grounding the system. Get a battery and that should fix it!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Today a sort of similar thing happened... First, about a week ago, I noticed a burning smell and checked out the fluid levels. My coolant was below the low mark..oops..so added coolant and all was good for the past 4 days.

All of a sudden this morning when I went to start the car, it just clicked and the engine didn't even turn. When I opened the door, the lights and all came on as usual in the overhead and dash, but after the attempt to start, everything went out. I tried twice to start, but same result. I popped open the hood and made sure the battery connections were good, which they were, tried again and the car started fine.

My battery is an autocraft purchase from autozone just about a year and a couple months ago.

I hope the alternator isn't going out...or maybe some kinda relay for the starter??? I have a 06 TL as well. If it happens again, I'll go to autozone and have the battery tested.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Question

The various components need to be checked, battery and alternator to start with and go from there.

Dec. 24th, my daughter called and her Maxima didn't start, just a click, she put the battery pack on and it started. When she got home I had already thought it to be the battery that is only 1 year old, but to my surprise when I checked the battery it was fine, but tried to start and just a click. Checked voltage at starter 12 volts, jumped the starter, lots of sparks but no action, starter shorted. Ordered a starter and did an install and it's been fine, battery up to snuff and alternator charging properly. It was just a coincidence that the starter didn't short out when she used the booster. Electrical systems at times are tricky.

As the battery in the TL resides under a cover, most don't pay it much attention, but got to make certain termials/connections are clean and tight.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the help. I checked the battery voltage and it was only 8.3. I removed and cleaned the battery posts and tried boosting it and it started this time. I must have had a bad ground when I tried boosting it before. Looks like the battery just went dead. I load tested the battery and it was ok and it seems to be charging fine now. I got some more info out of my wife and kids and I think that my kids must have shut the car off and were listening to the radio for about a half hour. Is it normal for the battery to go dead in half an hour with the radio on and probably the heater running and lights on.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

I would say that it is dependent upon the age, condition and reserve capacity of the battery.

Last edited by Turbonut; 01-07-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972bone
Thanks for the help. I checked the battery voltage and it was only 8.3. I removed and cleaned the battery posts and tried boosting it and it started this time. I must have had a bad ground when I tried boosting it before. Looks like the battery just went dead. I load tested the battery and it was ok and it seems to be charging fine now. I got some more info out of my wife and kids and I think that my kids must have shut the car off and were listening to the radio for about a half hour. Is it normal for the battery to go dead in half an hour with the radio on and probably the heater running and lights on.
Plus if there was a cell phone linked to the HFL and the cell phone never got more than 30 ft from the car, then the HFL was also draining the battery this whole time...

You'd be surprised how many incidents we've seen of bad terminal connections, especially with aftermarket batteries on the 3G TL. The cable clamps just don't seem to fit very well on the aftermarket batteries.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I hadn't check the battery connections well enough in the morning yesterday since the negative was loose...this was the cause of my problems. Last night the same issue, so decided to check the battery cables and again and it basically slid off when i pulled up a little. Tightened it down and now all is good.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

I'm having to get a boost (or get jumped) like every two days? the battery has checked ok. does any1 know what the problem might be?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by emp2322
I'm having to get a boost (or get jumped) like every two days? the battery has checked ok. does any1 know what the problem might be?

You alternator is dead or on it's way dying. Good way to check is when the car is running, unplug the battery. If the car dies, then it is your alternator

To the OP

Our TL didn't start one day but it would crank but not turn over. I had to let it sit for a while, open the throttle and started the car. Blew out a lot of black smoke but the car started. I guess it flooded the engine with fuel due to a weak battery. (that's what the acura service advisor told me. I got a new battery for the TL and that has never happened. BTW, our TL is a 2006 with 58k on it.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 1972bone
I was always told to NEVER have the navi on with car off. Radio is ok, but the Navi system is a huge drain on the battery. Uses a lot of juice. Unfortunately, I don't know how to turn Navi off with car off and power on without completely turning car off and turning key back to on and not pressing OK for Navi.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 PM
7th Gear

05 base w/navi--95,XXX miles, gf went to start the car, no start no noise. tested the battery, it was fine. tested the starter at AZ and it spun but did not extend. Threw a reman on there for $110, all good now.