05 TL 6MT Hole in tranny housing from loose bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010 | 11:05 AM
4th Gear

Angry 05 TL 6MT Hole in tranny housing from loose bearing

83K and a thrust bearing came loose & punched a hole in the bottom the tranny housing causing all the tranny fluid leak out.

Has anyone heard of this?

My Acura dealer (David McDavid Austin, TX) claims that this happens & I'm supposed to fork over $3,000 to have it fixed. The thing is, they can "weld" the hole & replace the bearings. But if I want the housing replaced, that's another $1,000 for the housing itself.

This same dealership replaced the housing 2 years ago when I hit an extremely large pothole & cracked this very same housing (in a totally different place). They basically took all of the guts out & replaced the housing. I also had the 2-3 gear issue in which they "fixed".

Something sounds fishy. I asked the dealer to ask Acura/Honda to help with this because I have never heard of this. Of course they said no.

So I have an excellent condition 05 TL w 83k miles & have to replace these bearings & weld a housing for over $3,000???? WTF????
Old 06-16-2010 | 12:17 PM
10th Gear

im currently having a trans issue. i had the car towed to my house but have yet to look at it. Your trans should still be under warentee. they told me that transmissions are covered to 110,000 miles. Keep me posted. I have no idea whats wrong with my car. the fluid just leaked out while on the highway.

heres the entire story:
any ideas?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/trans-opinion-needed-help-780245/
Old 06-16-2010 | 01:04 PM
4th Gear

What year & type of transmission do you have? I just spoke w service manager here in Austin & he says I have 6yr/70k mile powertrain warranty.
Old 06-16-2010 | 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by docmccarty
83K and a thrust bearing came loose & punched a hole in the bottom the tranny housing causing all the tranny fluid leak out.

Has anyone heard of this?

My Acura dealer (David McDavid Austin, TX) claims that this happens & I'm supposed to fork over $3,000 to have it fixed. The thing is, they can "weld" the hole & replace the bearings. But if I want the housing replaced, that's another $1,000 for the housing itself.

This same dealership replaced the housing 2 years ago when I hit an extremely large pothole & cracked this very same housing (in a totally different place). They basically took all of the guts out & replaced the housing. I also had the 2-3 gear issue in which they "fixed".

Something sounds fishy. I asked the dealer to ask Acura/Honda to help with this because I have never heard of this. Of course they said no.

So I have an excellent condition 05 TL w 83k miles & have to replace these bearings & weld a housing for over $3,000???? WTF????

based on your description it would sound like they believe you bottomed out.