'05 with Nav 6spd manual - Maint Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 with Nav 6spd manual - Maint Issues?

Before we get started thanks in advance for any help and advice!

I am looking at an 05 TL 6spd man with Nav. I have read through a few searches. And I wanted to see if there are any known problems with these years or the manuals specifically.

Again I appreciate any help!

Jordan S.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Hi Jordan,
To be honest with you, there are a few issues with the 05 TL:

1. Rattles, some of the interior trim pieces may rattle, a little bit of felt and they'll be gone in a few seconds.

2. The transmission, the 6MT's have an issue of 3rd gear being hard to engage when cold, the issue is with the transmission fluid. Changing it out to GM's Friction Modified Synchromesh MTF will solve it and make the car shift buttery smooth!

3. Tickets, with the 6MT trying not to get a speeding ticket is tough!

Good luck on the car search!
Old 09-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
Hi Jordan,
To be honest with you, there are a few issues with the 05 TL:

1. Rattles, some of the interior trim pieces may rattle, a little bit of felt and they'll be gone in a few seconds.

2. The transmission, the 6MT's have an issue of 3rd gear being hard to engage when cold, the issue is with the transmission fluid. Changing it out to GM's Friction Modified Synchromesh MTF will solve it and make the car shift buttery smooth!

3. Tickets, with the 6MT trying not to get a speeding ticket is tough!

Good luck on the car search!
Thank you for the quick reply, all of those issues sound quite manageable, and a good excuse to get into the new car (or at least new to me).

PS. Ive been reading all of the lists you put together detailing the difference between the years, and they have been extremely helpful!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have an '04 manual (mine) and an '05 automatic (the wifes'), both with Nav. Her '05 has been flawless with no rattles at all. Yes, it is an automatic but the body is sound, solid, and tight.

The primary complaints about the manual have centered around the 3rd gear "gear set"; specifically problems with difficulty in completing the shift, popping out of gear, and grinding. There is a TBS out on this and Acura will correct the problem at no cost to you. It seems that the primary offending part is the synchronizer set (the first four gears use multi-cone synchos). Most have drained and filled with GM's Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid (part number 12377916) as csmeance said, and have not had a re-occurrence of the problem. I have never had this problem at all, or any other problems with my '04's transmission or clutch assembly.

There have also been a few complaints about the clutch hydraulic control actuation system. Acura uses a clutch engagement delay valve in the hydraulic system instead of the far more common, and proven, torque dissipation springs in the friction disk hug. Sometimes this valve fails and of course, this adversely affects clutch engagement, causing premature wear. Be cognizant of your clutch and its characteristics.

Finally the clutch has a few anomalies somewhat different than what many are used to with other manual transmissions. The pedal has a relatively short travel with an even shorter take-up. In addition, most are setup to have the clutch begin to engage when the pedal is rather close to the pedal stop on the firewall. Couple this with a very short pedal travel from the point of initial engagement to that where enough pressure is exerted to move the car and you get people who find themselves causing the car to stall or buck when first driving it. Personally, I really like the clutch action and its engagement characteristics.. it fits me fine.

The TL was meant to have a manual in it. In the sales brochures for the '04 and the '05, every one of the interior pictures showed a manual transmission.. not one showed the automatic. And this is also true for the outside shots as well. Also, the TV ads at the time all hi-lighted the manual in this car. Not only does it look good (the shifter and its surrounds), but the gear ratios are well suited for the engine. You will enjoy this car.

PM me if you have more questions.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Advanced

SouthernBoy, thanks for the input! Again all sounds like easy fixes or something to watch out for and have the dealer resolve before taking the keys.

I'm ok with the clutch, I had a Miata for years, with a very low engagement with a firm bite (I actually prefer that then then having a high engagement point with a soft bite).

How can you tell the car is a manual from the outside?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear

Hi,

I have a '05 TL Manual. I had to replace the clutch because I pretty much beat it up. It's a weird clutch in that it sticks half way down while pressing on the peddle.

According to the dealer, Acura designs it so that it catches at the same place every time. I finally figured it out and works like a charm.

Also, I'm a short guy and I was sitting too far back. Once I moved the seat up a bit, I was able to get the clutch perfectly.

Good Luck, it's a blast!!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Loki047
SouthernBoy, thanks for the input! Again all sounds like easy fixes or something to watch out for and have the dealer resolve before taking the keys.

I'm ok with the clutch, I had a Miata for years, with a very low engagement with a firm bite (I actually prefer that then then having a high engagement point with a soft bite).

How can you tell the car is a manual from the outside?
The front brake calipers. They're Brembos, and with the TL that means they are painted black with the "ACURA" logo in white on them.

With the manual, you also get a firmer suspension, larger sway bars, and an LSD* as well as the Brembos.

* Limited Slip Differential
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

"Acura uses a clutch engagement delay valve in the hydraulic system instead of the far more common, and proven, torque dissipation springs in the friction disk hug."

Oh boy, do y'all believe I wrote "hug" instead of "hub"? Good Lord, what next?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
The front brake calipers. They're Brembos, and with the TL that means they are painted black with the "ACURA" logo in white on them.

With the manual, you also get a firmer suspension, larger sway bars, and an LSD* as well as the Brembos.

* Limited Slip Differential
I forgot about the brakes, and the remaining features just make me more set on the manual with Nav if only dealerships were open on Sunday.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Loki047
I forgot about the brakes, and the remaining features just make me more set on the manual with Nav if only dealerships were open on Sunday.
Ahh, the Nav. That's a whole different can of goodies.

When I was looking for my '04, I didn't want the Nav. Not before of the $2000 extra in the list price, but because I felt I never needed one for the years I have been owning and driving cars. Well let me tell you, the Nav is definitely worth having for a host of reasons, most of which I never knew about or considered.

Most of the time I use it for route anticipation. What road is coming up or how far is it? And similar uses. But it's much more than that. It's hooked up to your HVAC, your sound system, and your on-board Bluetooth system. For example, say you're driving north on I-95 on a hot summer afternoon and using the A/C. The Nav knows where you are, what time of day it is, and which direction you are heading. I will divert a little more cooling to the driver than the passenger when heading north on such a day at such a time. It will also do the reverse when heading south.

If you have an incident on a "lonely" two lane road and call for assistance, how would you tell the dispatcher where you are? Just press the talk button and say, "Display current location" and you'll get the map coordinates and the feet above sea level, plus any address it can give.

When using the Bluetooth and your Nav, if you locate a business (say a restaurant), you can say "send" or press the send button which will be activated and the system will make the call for you.

There is so much more, but this gets you started. The Nav is worth it.