'05 Auto Trans warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '05 Auto Trans warranty issue

Well gentlemen, I have owned this vehicle approximately one month, and really like it, but am wondering if I might have gotten stiffed by the ebay used car dealer from whom I purchased it. It is a 2005 that was bought and serviced at Acura of Memphis, and the records seem to reflect that it was being maintained in accordance with the minimum requirements. ATF changed at 72k miles. I bought it from a used car dealer in Tennessee after it was repossessed and dealer auctioned by Acura Financing Corp for non payment. I THINK the dealer who sold it to me didn't understand the need to use proper spec fluids and just changed the fluid before he sold it at about 94k miles. I drive it 800 miles and the shifting just starts to go crazy. Highway driving was OK, but once in town with stop & go and the ATF heated up, it would do crazy harsh downshifts and I noticed that there were times Reverse would be very delayed and then engage with a big "clunk". I've had Mercedes of the 80's and 90's vintage, where the first sign of A/T problems was delay engaging reverse. Anyway, I find this amazing discussion group and inform myself, do a 3x3 drain & fill with ATF-Z1, change the 3 & 4 gear pressure solenoids, and notice a very, very big improvement overall. HOWEVER, after about 50 miles in town driving, I'm noticing when the fluid heats up, there are some serious rpm flares at the 3-4 shift ending with a harsh engagement. My question is should I put more effort into rehabilitating the tranny, such as Mobil ATF Synthetic, etc., and try to go gently with my throttle and shifts, or should I really try to pursue a advocate type dealer to fight with Acura for a remanufactured A/T and warranty. The new car warranty as I understand from the service bulletins is only 4 years or 50k miles (October this year, but I'm way over on miles) and then there might have been some unofficial extensions or possible Goodwill Consideration, but if you guys think I could limp another 50k highway miles out of this one, I'd sooner keep what I've got there now, as I'm always leary of reman components. Any and all comments greatly appreciated, and if you have any suggestions for approaching a dealer on this, I would greatly welcome that as well. I am presently scheduled for a "diagnostic" test later this week at Ray Laks Acura in Buffalo, NY as I am now living close to the Memphis area, although they have been very helpful in providing me with info. Thx in advance!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
8th Gear

Just a couple quick edits, I am NOT living close to Memphis, and reverse is still very delayed. The harsh downshifts before replacing the solenoids were "bone-jarring" and without any apparent reason except me letting up on the throttle. I thought for sure it would break some internal parts, because this is not a light car and the decleration was almost equivalent to a full slam on the brakes. Can this trans take that kind of abuse. I only about 8-10 of those harsh slamming downshifts, but I'm wondering if the damage is too far gone.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I guess you didn't have the car inspected prior to the purchase, or that no warranty was offered by the dealer. You'll know after they drive the car whether the trans needs a minor tweaking, or a major overhaul. After the drive, and if they feel the trans is a goner, and then see what assistance is available. Have them contact Acura to get determination.
If they feel the trans needs a rebuild, certainly the replacement is going to be much better than what you now have, regardless of your feelings about remanufactured components.
If they won't give any assistance, the price will be out of sight for a replacement from the dealer, so you might want to check an independent rebuilder, or even look for a used trans, as there are some for $600/700 with warranties, but labor to install is not cheap.
Good luck
Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing I would do is get the car to an Acura dealer that you are comfortable with, and there are differences believe me as I used to work for one for about 2 years. I would do the 3X3 drain and fill as much as you want as it will not hurt anything. I would do the 3rd and 4th pressure switches as I've also been reading the posts from different members about the shifting not being as sloppy afterwards. There is also a small filter in the top of the transmission that should be replaced. You will have to let the dealer know that you know about it otherwise they wont change it. One of those things thats been looked over for years while Acura replaced trans after trans under warranty. The click sound your hearing is characteristic for these cars, and most if not all newer Honda products on the road today. Obviously if the trans clunks hard enough to jult you in the seat when you put the car into gear than you have a problem. Good luck and I hope this helps. If the dealer argues with you about replacing any of the parts mentioned, remind them that its YOUR CAR and your $5000 for a transmission should it fail and that they are to do what you ask them to do.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
8th Gear

I already did the 3x3 once, but am considering doing it again, this time with Mobil 1 Synthetic, but is is quite pricey at about $11 / litre. I think I can do the fluid myself, as I have already done the pressure switches myself and yes, that made a HUGE difference. I recommend it to those who haven't done it and have more than 50k miles of mostly city driving. I guess what I want to know is whether any of you have have any experience dealing with "Goodwill Consideration" claims, to find out their criteria to cover a full replacement when the mileage is over warranty, but the time limit isn't? Seems to me powertrain issues, if proper maintenance records can be produced in accordance with manufacturer's service recommendations, are fundamental to the Goodwill of the manufacturer, as I can't think of too many consumers who would expect or accept such failure after distance warranty expires but time period still valid. In the face of misuse / abuse, I would hope they cover, but I'm seeking your experience(s) if any. Thx.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wasnt a manager when I worked at the dealer, but I did deal with the Acura Rep in my area that handled Goodwill claims. They want to see basically that you serviced the vehicle properly. Keep reciepts for anything you did yourself, and that the car is well taken care of. I know the Rep for the area where I worked was big on customers doing service at the dealer. Obviously, if your a good service customer and your car has 101,000 miles, they might be willing to goodwill a trans for you if yours is bad. Obviously you'd be on your own if the car had 199,000 miles.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM
8th Gear

Thx Dave. I'm at just under 95K miles, but Acura tells me that the new car warranty was only to 50K miles. My understanding from combing through this site is that they found that these odometers are generally high (5%??) so they increased the mileage coverage accordingly, but then when they had the avalanche of transmission failures on the earlier models, they "unofficially" extended coverage to transmissions to 100K miles on a case by case basis after analysis of the problem as well as the maintenance records, in order to re-build credibility and confidence in their product. If the car was maintained by the book, and yet the failure was similar to a known repeating failure (such as the pressure switches going bad slowly and not being shown as a r & r maintenance item?) they might give it consideration I hope. In any event, I have an appointment with a dealer for a diagnostic of the transmission (about $100) and they told me that they would be able to tell quite definitely whether the trans is gone. They quoted a remanufacture install of about $3,800 USD with a 3 year 36K mile warranty on parts & labour. Pretty steep investment for me. They told me that Acura Corporate might help out a little bit depending on the records / issues, but are not usually eager to hand out freebies. Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.