04 Tl Base Model AV6 Swap- Trans Warmer Coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Tl Base Model AV6 Swap- Trans Warmer Coolant leak?

I just completed the AV6 swap on my Tl,(06 Accord with 66k miles) and I had noticed there was a very small but consistent coolant leak dripping onto the ground. I checked all of the hoses, from the water pump to the radiatior, and the other lines that run to the top of the transmission warmer. This leak wasn't there prior to the swap and I think it might be leaking from the trans warmer. So, i pulled the warmer thinking that there might be something wrong with it and found nothing. O-rings looked good, So I went back to replace it, and I noticed that the very far bolt in the back would run all the way down but wouldnt tighten, and suddenly the head of the bolt snapped off. I'm not really sure what happened, but is this a possible source of my leak(Prior to my mistake)? I used the search bar and couldn't find any threads relating to this issue, My only thought is to put a new filter on the old assembly I have and just transplant the hold thing over considering I cant really get and EZ-out in on the area that I broke. Maybe there is a place im not seeing correctly? Maybe I put the warmer lines on backwards? The leak is obviously on the transmission side and there is coolant on top of the trans. Any thought/suggestion would be helpful.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Xios
I just completed the AV6 swap on my Tl,(06 Accord with 66k miles) and I had noticed there was a very small but consistent coolant leak dripping onto the ground. I checked all of the hoses, from the water pump to the radiatior, and the other lines that run to the top of the transmission warmer. This leak wasn't there prior to the swap and I think it might be leaking from the trans warmer. So, i pulled the warmer thinking that there might be something wrong with it and found nothing. O-rings looked good, So I went back to replace it, and I noticed that the very far bolt in the back would run all the way down but wouldnt tighten, and suddenly the head of the bolt snapped off. I'm not really sure what happened, but is this a possible source of my leak(Prior to my mistake)? I used the search bar and couldn't find any threads relating to this issue, My only thought is to put a new filter on the old assembly I have and just transplant the hold thing over considering I cant really get and EZ-out in on the area that I broke. Maybe there is a place im not seeing correctly? Maybe I put the warmer lines on backwards? The leak is obviously on the transmission side and there is coolant on top of the trans. Any thought/suggestion would be helpful.
Well i just tried a few google searches and a skim through the service manual and I couldn't find any information about the flow/location of the coolant lines, honestly i would get a buddy to quickly crank the engine over and watch both lines to see which one squirts coolant then figure out the flow of the trans warmer. Once you're all done with the repair's i'd recommend to perform a cooling system pressure check by pumping it up with the tool in place of the radiator cap up to 16psi and waiting about a half an hour making sure the pressure holds and you have no leaks.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Waffeey
Well i just tried a few google searches and a skim through the service manual and I couldn't find any information about the flow/location of the coolant lines, honestly i would get a buddy to quickly crank the engine over and watch both lines to see which one squirts coolant then figure out the flow of the trans warmer. Once you're all done with the repair's i'd recommend to perform a cooling system pressure check by pumping it up with the tool in place of the radiator cap up to 16psi and waiting about a half an hour making sure the pressure holds and you have no leaks.
Well atm it dosent seem to matter if the system holds pressure or not it just seems to leak out at a consistent rate reguardless if the system is pressurized or not. I'm about to start on my repair I'll give and update once i've completed my repair.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 PM
3rd Gear

Problem solved! The warmer had a bad seal on it and i just replaced the whole assembly and added a new trans filter to it. Slapped that baby on, she's good to go hopefully.