04 TL- any tricks to replacing front wheel studs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TL- any tricks to replacing front wheel studs??

Between the shop that installed my bent rims and the shop that did the alignment, someone stripped two of my left front wheel studs. No one will own up to doing it so I am stuck with the problem.

I've purchased the replacements. Question is- do I need to remove the knuckle to replace the studs or can I just hammer them out and pop new ones in?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidLunch
Between the shop that installed my bent rims and the shop that did the alignment, someone stripped two of my left front wheel studs. No one will own up to doing it so I am stuck with the problem.

I've purchased the replacements. Question is- do I need to remove the knuckle to replace the studs or can I just hammer them out and pop new ones in?
well, you would have to remove the rotor and then press the old ones out and press the new ones in. you need a press.

how bad are they stripped? why not just get a die and rethread them? check irwin for the size you need.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by surlynkid
well, you would have to remove the rotor and then press the old ones out and press the new ones in. you need a press.

how bad are they stripped? why not just get a die and rethread them? check irwin for the size you need.

They are definetly stripped beyond a thread repair.

You don't think I will be able to take a hammer and pound them in gently? I don't have access to a press.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidLunch
They are definetly stripped beyond a thread repair.

You don't think I will be able to take a hammer and pound them in gently? I don't have access to a press.

i did that method once and swore i would never do it again. it will not be gentle. use plenty of never-sieze to lube them at the splines, a big steel drift and a BFH (preferrably small sledge). i wore my shooting muffs, because it was so loud and annoying to keep hammering away. find someone with a press and pay them a few bucks. i'd do it if you lived close. it takes just a couple of minutes with a press.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the help. I think I may just take it to a shop to do it since I really want it done right and it seems like a press is in order.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
HAS A GHOST IN

I got the same problem to. I was going to take off the front right to clean the inside of the rim and BAMM!! WTF, one lug nut is stripped. Although I didn't fully try to get it off as off yet. I thought I would take to back to Discount Tire and let them balance the tires again here soon and see. They are the only ones that have touched them. I wonder what the will say or will they just try and put it on and not say anything.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im goin through this same problem right now...i cudnt get off 2 of the lug nuts because the stud got pushed back and kept spinning so i had to drill out the lug nut and part of the stud to get my wheel off..i thought taking them off was hard but getting them back on was another task
bought the replacements from auto zone began installing them today...got em done somewhat but they are not seated fully...i used a c clamp and a socket to try to pull the stud thru but thats not even the best method..like another member mentioned a press is the way to go...i might take off the hub and have a shop just press the bolts fully in for me....but trying to hammer it in i think u might be there for days

i also cut the dust cover in the middle to get the stud through otherwise it wont line up properly and will damage the threads
Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Well.. I took the TL to a friends shop this morning and he replaced two studs for me. All he ended up doing was separating the knuckle from the lower control arm to give him enough room to sneak in a small tool that pressed in the stud with the use of an air gun. Took him about 30 minutes. Cost= free. Lucky me.

He was also able to diagnose the cracking noise coming from my front left- I have an axle going bad. Looks like I have another project to work on.