'04 TL 5AT power steering whine!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same problem here. 04TL with 90k miles. Noise started last winter and went away in the warmer months. Came back this year but louder. Went in and got the recall done. Noise is the same or worse. Only when cold. Today I started getting prices on pumps and service.

Acura dealer wants $470.36 for the pump alone from the parts department . I didn't bother asking for a installation price. It would probably be $750, same as ping05TL was charged.

Found refurbished pumps online in the $100-150 range. And, a new pump from oemacuraparts.com for $273.46.

My questions are:
Should I try to replace the o ring or just replace the entire pump?
Should I pay the extra for the oem pump or go with the cheaper refurb?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
replacing the o-ring is super super easy. Nothing hard at all. I just went to acura and bought the o-ring for about 68 cents. Went home and let my car cooled for a bit. Took off the engine cover and the left cover where the windshield washer fluid is. Put a shop rag under the powersteering inlet hose. I think I used a 10mm to take that bolt off, twist it a little and pulled it off and aimed the hose up to limit loss fluid. I didn't see the o-ring at the end of it (the part that those hose is connected to) so I felt for it on the ps pump and pulled it out. Replaced it.

If you don't put powersteering fluid on the new o-ring, you will get the whine but it'll die off eventually, less than a day for me. I don't have any whine ever since.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So yeah, I took my '04 TL MT in for an oil change the other day. They asked if I would leave my car with them to perform the power steering recall and the wiper motor recall. My dumb a$$ said okay and now I suddenly have this whine. Taking it back today.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Banned

replaced the O ring with my cousin yesterday night this morning no more whine. awesome.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so just buy the "O ring" and replace it? So the part is "O ring"?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Advanced

I had this same exact problem w/ the power steering noise when it's cold out. I just recently (last week) brought my 04' TL - AT - to Island Acura in Wantaugh, NY (long island) for the power steering hose/fittings and wiper motor recalls. NO MORE NOISE!!!! The noise is gone and its a miracle, and the service there was incredible. Anyone who has this noise, make sure to bring your car in for the recall, now wether or not the power steering pump is going to be good for X amount of miles I do not know, but as of now I see no issues and no noises so that = f'in A man. I also had to replace a master key for the car and daym those keys r expensive.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Team NBP

Originally Posted by melvin2816
They probably did not replace the O ring when they did the recall.
Tell them that the noise started after they did the recall. It work for me .
EXACTLY. This is what happened to me. All fixed now and no more noise!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Advanced

need more info about the O ring, please. Some pics will be good.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Herro

Just picture a really small rubber band. That's an o-ring. It'll either be around the part you take off or fitted inside ps pump.

new o-rings are orange. when you pull out the original one, it'll probably be black. i don't know why. that's how mine was
Old 12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Herro

it should be part 13 i believe. correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:46 AM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr04
EXACTLY. This is what happened to me. All fixed now and no more noise!
I am glad you fix your problem.
Is so rediculous that a small piece a rubber creates so much problems.
Folks if you did the recall and noice got worse Take it back to the dealership and tell them to check your system.
They might tell you need of new pump but a simple 'O' ring will fix the problem.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

does anyone the exact part number for that o ring?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear

91345-paa-a01
Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

thanks dude. couldn't find that anywhere
Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

I just installed the O-Ring and I'm still getting the whining noise. This leads me to believe that I might have installed it incorrectly. Do you just slip it around the first section of the Inlet Joint or do you actually push it in all the way to the bigger diameter?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Yesterday, Took my TL in to the dealership ( ED MARTIN ACURA, Carmel, IN) for TYPE B maintenance service. I informed the service rep. of the noise coming from my power steering and showed him the paperwork showing I had the power steering recall work done last summer. I specificed having the "O ring" replaced, which they performed. This morning ( it was about 19 decrees) when I went out and started my car, no whining noise. Service Rep. says O ring wasn't changed when recall work was done.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Originally Posted by Vegas TL
Yesterday, Took my TL in to the dealership ( ED MARTIN ACURA, Carmel, IN) for TYPE B maintenance service. I informed the service rep. of the noise coming from my power steering and showed him the paperwork showing I had the power steering recall work done last summer. I specificed having the "O ring" replaced, which they performed. This morning ( it was about 19 decrees) when I went out and started my car, no whining noise. Service Rep. says O ring wasn't changed when recall work was done.
amazing
The dealership's are not doing their jobs and leaving little details out
a simple piece of rubber fixes the problem. I am glad they fix your problem
and like a state before if they have performe the recall and you still have the noice, take your car back to them they should provide you with a loner and tell them to replace the "O" Ring is part of the recall.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

Angry Par for the course...

So yeah, a few days after complaining here, I woke up very early on a morning that was going to be surely cold to take my car back in. That enabled me to get to the dealership quickly and, since the noise was the worst when it was cold, so they could actually hear what I was complaining about. After a minute with the car idling and the hood up, the guy looked at me and said, "Yeah, there is definitely air in the line." I mentioned the O-ring bit and they assured me that it was part of the work they had done. They asked that I wait while they bled out the air. An hour and a half later, it was good to go.

I'm happy that it's fixed, but it's a bunch of crap that they would not have just done the work correctly in the first place and wasted a good chunk of a morning. The fact that so many of you have also had this problem, along with the countless number of folks not on Acurazine that have likely encountered the same thing reaffirms that I will search beyond Acura for my next vehicle, regardless of how much I like my TL and want the MDX or RL. If I wind up getting another Acura, it is going to be things like this forum existing (like some little rehab support group) that keep me from "crossing over".

Last edited by ohiosux; 01-02-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Stickr Mstr

* I hope people aren't paying for these repairs, its a recall..The dealer is obligated to repair it at no cost what so ever. I had this recall done 4 months ago, however I got the same noise last week and I called my local dealer and they repaired it at no cost. Apparently they either didn't install the o-ring or it worn out. Either way, it was repaired at no cost. It doesnt even matter if your out of warranty, because this isn't a warranty issue. I am a former employee at American Honda, so I got the inside scoop.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 PM
05 TL 6MT

I'm glad I found this thread. I am having the identical problem. According to owners.acura.com my car has had this recall done in February. I am going to bring this to their attention and make sure they don't try to sell me any crap.

Too bad I can't do the same thing for my bunk CV boot.

Kudos to all who helped with this thread.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM
05 TL 6MT

Originally Posted by NBPacuraTL
new o-rings are orange. when you pull out the original one, it'll probably be black. i don't know why. that's how mine was
Can anybody confirm this? I just got back from dropping my car off at Acura and the service manager was a total a$$hole to me when I brought up this. Wanting to charge me $100 to "look at it" because my car wasn't under warranty.

He then proceeded to tell me that the recall was "just a hose" and not the complete kit, o-rings and all. So, either he lied to my face, or is completely misinformed.

I would like some hard evidence that the o-ring wasn't replaced to bring to him as well as the complete 08-016 print out showing clearly that the o-ring should have been replaced.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Originally Posted by tabularasa
Can anybody confirm this? I just got back from dropping my car off at Acura and the service manager was a total a$$hole to me when I brought up this. Wanting to charge me $100 to "look at it" because my car wasn't under warranty.

He then proceeded to tell me that the recall was "just a hose" and not the complete kit, o-rings and all. So, either he lied to my face, or is completely misinformed.

I would like some hard evidence that the o-ring wasn't replaced to bring to him as well as the complete 08-016 print out showing clearly that the o-ring should have been replaced.

Tell them that the problem started after they did the recall on your car.
and If they asked you how come you have not brought your car before. Tell them you been out of the country deployed, or make something up.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
05 TL 6MT

The problem is they didn't do my recall. The recall was done in GA where I bought the car.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Advanced

I went to Acura dealer and told them what happened to my car in the morning when it's cold. He said that he will fix it in 30 minutes with no charge. So i waited and got my car back in 30 minutes. Cool right
Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Stickr Mstr

The recall is a complete kit, which does include the o ring. I believe most dealers...didn't install the o-ring.
I just got my car back, and they installed the o-ring.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Stickr Mstr

I hope this helps. Other wise call American Honda...and have them pay for it. If you bitch at them, they should offer good will of some sort (no guarantees, give it a try)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
05 TL 6MT

Apparently I'm mis-informed with my "facts". I really pissed off the Service manager with my "attitude" about the situation.

I'm pretty much fuming mad now. I'm going to be composing a letter the the GM of the dealership for how I was treated. The Service Manager even went so far as to blurt out "Starting early this morning, aren't we" (Basically calling me an asshole) to the entire service area.

That and the fact that they mis-represented the prices of a couple of items I got fixed. I ended up paying about $200 more than I was expecting to.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Apparently I'm mis-informed with my "facts". I really pissed off the Service manager with my "attitude" about the situation.

I'm pretty much fuming mad now. I'm going to be composing a letter the the GM of the dealership for how I was treated. The Service Manager even went so far as to blurt out "Starting early this morning, aren't we" (Basically calling me an asshole) to the entire service area.

That and the fact that they mis-represented the prices of a couple of items I got fixed. I ended up paying about $200 more than I was expecting to.

didnt want to deal with the BS at the dealer. As such, had my mechanic fix this for some money. and it fixed the problem, whohooo!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced

i just started having this exact same problem the last few days. went to my service rep and they assured me the o-ring was replaced b/c its part of the hose assembly and the work was done by the master tech. anyway i can confirm this?

the rep also stated that i'd be leaking ps fluid if there were any problems with this o-ring. any of you guys had leaks too or just the whine? i'm not entirely sure he knows what he's talking about. couldn't talk to the tech himself.

thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
dude this power steering problem is pissing me off!! the dealer changed the entire pump for me, under warranty, but the noise came back a couple days later!! my warranty runs out march 30th and it's making me frurstrared!!

sorry had to vent guys...going back to the dealer and hopefully they will do something to stop this annoying whine....
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 05tl*6-speed*
dude this power steering problem is pissing me off!! The dealer changed the entire pump for me, under warranty, but the noise came back a couple days later!! My warranty runs out march 30th and it's making me frurstrared!!

Sorry had to vent guys...going back to the dealer and hopefully they will do something to stop this annoying whine....
at least you're under warranty!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Got this fixed last weekend at McGrath Acura of Westmont. I told the Service Rep the problem, that they already did the recall, and he said it was probably the O-ring. He said he already had a few people with this problem. Took care of it with no charge. Took a little longer then I expected, but they seemed pretty busy.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM
05 TL 6MT

Did the o-ring myself. The next morning (42F) no noise! Success! Don't let the dealer give you any shit. I'm a car moron and I fixed this by myself.

I can also confirm that the "bad" o-ring was black, and the new o-ring was orange.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by xcb5
at least you're under warranty!!!

yeah thank god for that
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Herro

Did the o-ring myself. The next morning (42F) no noise! Success! Don't let the dealer give you any shit. I'm a car moron and I fixed this by myself.

I can also confirm that the "bad" o-ring was black, and the new o-ring was orange.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

Does anybody have a clicking noise in the PS pump when the car is cold and the temperature is 30 degrees or less? The sound disappears after it warms up.

The dealer changed the hose on my 2005 TL (60,000 miles) under the recall during the summer and when the temperature dived below 30 degrees the whining sound appeared. I took it back after reading this thread. They replaced the o-ring and the whining noise disappeared. However, a clicking noise in the PS pump is present when starting at or under 30 degrees. The dealer first agreed that the pump was bad and was going to change it free of charge, and then the next day changed his mind and said that the pump is OK.

My questions are, does a clicking noise means the pump is staring to fail and does air in the pump could have caused damage to the pump? My pump was fine before the dealer changed the hose and improperly installed the o-ring.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Study

Well my car is in for the 2 recalls, I too have the whine on cold starts in the morning. I hope it fixes the problem. In the mean time i will be enjoying the 09 TL loaner car
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

I'm having the same problem. Took the car to my mechanic and he told me the P/S line was leaking. So we ordered one from Acura for $120. Now that I found out so many of AZ members with the same problem, I canceled the order from Acura and made an appointment with them for a recall for next week. Hope they will cover everything since I don't want to pay $200+ to get that annoying sound fixed.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Originally Posted by cangbang
I'm having the same problem. Took the car to my mechanic and he told me the P/S line was leaking. So we ordered one from Acura for $120. Now that I found out so many of AZ members with the same problem, I canceled the order from Acura and made an appointment with them for a recall for next week. Hope they will cover everything since I don't want to pay $200+ to get that annoying sound fixed.
Hello
Dont tell them whats wrong with your car
Take your car to the dealership have them do the recall
If you still have the problem after the recall tell them that all your problems started after the recall was done on your car put the blame of them since they are the one who last touch and work under your hood
They should be providing you with a lonner for the time your car is out of commision

Try it
work for me
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a TSB for this (click below):

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf

This was posted in a thread i started about the same issue a month ago:

Originally Posted by dianac1210
Disregard. Should have done a little more research on the forums. I'm such and idiot! Anyways try this:
This is what found in another post!

Acura TSB: Air bubbles due to a leaky inlet O Ring Gasket
There is a recent Acura TSB, that describes the cause and repair for loud noises arising from the power steering pump.

It appears that bubbles form in the power steering fluid reservoir during cold mornings because of a leaking inlet housing O Ring. This can be changed (and you do not have to shell out $360 for a new pump) with the pump in the car.

The .pdf file for the TSB (including the steps to replace the O Ring) is:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf
Just print this out and hand it to your Acura Service.

Quick Reply: '04 TL 5AT power steering whine!!!!!!