'04 TL 3G Headliner falling. Need info on the DIY process

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
'04 TL 3G Headliner falling. Need info on the DIY process

Looking to change the headliner to black material instead of the grey look. I been holding the headliner up with "Saggy stoppers", but I really need to just change it out already. Its sagging in more areas now.

I was wondering what material people use, just like go to the local fabric store? Or is there a better quality to use? I'm not looking to do the suede. Best adhesive to use also and how much I would need would be great.

Also needed anyone's opinion for the rear part of the car. The cover that goes over the speakers will be grey if I don't change that also. Does the material on that come apart? When I took it off the last time I didn't see that coming apart. Would I just use adhesive and put the material over that whole part? Will that come apart after a while? Seems like its made like the pillar so maybe just making sure the new material sticks on the grey material? Please correct me if im wrong lol

Also did anyone else do the mirrors? I seen pics of people just leaving it grey, is it because that would be too hard to mod?

The handles I could probably live with because I tried to look at that. Looks a little harder then just spray adhesive and glue material on.

Ok I know there is more then 4 threads on this issue, I scanned through them and got this so far for instructions. Please include any tips to make the process easier etc.. Seen threads saying take it to a dealer, but my car is too old for that.

"Everything is very straightforward. Just take out the screws for the handles and light housings, pop off all 6 pillars by hand. The rest of the headliner is held in place by velcro (believe it or not).

The only thing that will give you some trouble is the B-Pillars. You have to unbolt the anchor for the seat belts from the bottom on the driver side and the seat on the passenger side so you can get the seat belt out of the pillar.

Also the sunroof slide... You will have to push up on the front so the bump raises over the stop and then it will slide all the way back and out. Take out the sunroof slide after you get the headliner out of the car. It will be easier that way."
From member:Threw

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/suede-headliner-731261/

Seen this one also by TBone2004
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/another-way-fix-your-headliner-555186/
But pictures died I cant see it

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Do you have the Acura TL service manual? walks you through it pretty well. I cant walk you through it off the top of my head, but i can tell you what I remember

A pillar is simple; Large square clip needs to be popped outward towards you. Then you can remove the pillar (There are a few other clips holding, but the large square one is the only important one

C pillar is the same as A. Pop out the the large square clip and then you can pretty much pull out the panel.

Roof handles are simple. Pop off the covers on both side of the handle, and remove the screws. Be careful to keep everything in the correct order.

Brake light cover. just pops off...

Rear reading light. Remove the light covers with a microscrew driver, which unveils 2 screws.

Visor. The visor end holder (the little part that looks like a C), just simply twists off. Twist it, turn it 90 degrees and it should be free. The visor requires you to remove a little cover which unviels 2 screws I think. They are torx screws as well. One its free, you have to undo a connector in the headliner. you might have to wiggle it around to get it in a managable position.

Visor lights. There are little metal brackets built into the headliner into which the lights clip into. You need a small screwdriver and to dig into the side (i forget which side) and pop the clip. This i think was the scariest part since it seemed like i most the most likely to break something here. Once i did the first one, the second came out in 5 seconds..

Center roof console/HFL. id search for a diy for how to get to the HFL box. one has go to exist. But essentially, you pop off the cover for the lights, and then start removing screws and undoing clips.

B pillar. I read something that said the whole b pillar had to be removed, which involved removing the seatbelt. You dont need to remove the seatbelt. You can pop off the top portion of the B-pillar, and the bottom portion a bit as well. This gives you plenty of room to remove the headliner.

You also need to remove the weather stripping from around the doors. I just peeled back what I needed, so that parts that covered the pillar panels, and the roof liner.

I forget how I got it out. The headliner was so nasty, that we didnt plan on salvaging it so we just bent and twisted it all we need. Getting the new one is was a challenge. I forget how we did it, but I might recommend taking out the passenger seat.

My suggestion. Find the Acura Service manual. Its floating around the internet somewhere. Its all I used to take off my headliner and it went fine. The whole job took about 3 hrs.

Edit: I saw that I said there that its only held on by velcro. False. There are 2 crucial clips in the back of the headliner, which I managed to break (luckily i bought a new headliner from a wrecked 08 TL so I had extra clips). Lining up these holes were a bit tricky. I also believe there are a few clips towards the front

Last edited by Sutitan; 04-09-2013 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
6for2 (08-30-2020)
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Mine just started too, love us 04's being the pioneers for all the issues the car ends up having, huh?!?!

Mine is only doing it in the back corner for now...so I used some pins to hold up.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Racer

I blame myself completely for mine failing. A few years back I went on a road trip out west with some friends. It was cold outside, so I figured id use the sunroof tilt feature, where the back of the sunroof just rises up, while the rest says shut. In order to restrict the airflow a bit, we kept the sunroof slide closed. the passangers in the backseat felt cold air blowing by there necks coming from the C pillar area. Basically, moist air was flowing through my headliner. Also, the lack of tinted windows in florida for about 7 years probably didnt help.

When I peeled back the fabric from the headliner (once it was out the car of course), you could actually see little beads of water. The foam was physically wet. Im honestly surprised my car didnt stink. the foam was a dark brownish color. the new headliners foam was white.

Also as a heads up, for anyone looking to keep there car completely stock, and is fine with using parts from junk cars, the base 07-08 headliner is the exact same as the 04-06 base color. I believe even the part number is identical. there were a few minor differences, such as the actual headliner backing material (04 headliner felt alot stiffer. 07 felt a bit more cloth like and was more flexable). Also, the 04 headliner had a metal bracket for the visor light. The 07 light did not have the metal bracket, but fits in just fine.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Nice, thanks!
Actually, that makes a lot of sense cause when it's hot, I tilt but don't open the slide since I want to let the air suck through but not have the sun beating on my head. I guess that practice is going to stop today. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sutitan
Do you have the Acura TL service manual? walks you through it pretty well. I cant walk you through it off the top of my head, but i can tell you what I remember

A pillar is simple; Large square clip needs to be popped outward towards you. Then you can remove the pillar (There are a few other clips holding, but the large square one is the only important one

C pillar is the same as A. Pop out the the large square clip and then you can pretty much pull out the panel.

Roof handles are simple. Pop off the covers on both side of the handle, and remove the screws. Be careful to keep everything in the correct order.

Brake light cover. just pops off...

Rear reading light. Remove the light covers with a microscrew driver, which unveils 2 screws.

Visor. The visor end holder (the little part that looks like a C), just simply twists off. Twist it, turn it 90 degrees and it should be free. The visor requires you to remove a little cover which unviels 2 screws I think. They are torx screws as well. One its free, you have to undo a connector in the headliner. you might have to wiggle it around to get it in a managable position.

Visor lights. There are little metal brackets built into the headliner into which the lights clip into. You need a small screwdriver and to dig into the side (i forget which side) and pop the clip. This i think was the scariest part since it seemed like i most the most likely to break something here. Once i did the first one, the second came out in 5 seconds..

Center roof console/HFL. id search for a diy for how to get to the HFL box. one has go to exist. But essentially, you pop off the cover for the lights, and then start removing screws and undoing clips.

B pillar. I read something that said the whole b pillar had to be removed, which involved removing the seatbelt. You dont need to remove the seatbelt. You can pop off the top portion of the B-pillar, and the bottom portion a bit as well. This gives you plenty of room to remove the headliner.

You also need to remove the weather stripping from around the doors. I just peeled back what I needed, so that parts that covered the pillar panels, and the roof liner.

I forget how I got it out. The headliner was so nasty, that we didnt plan on salvaging it so we just bent and twisted it all we need. Getting the new one is was a challenge. I forget how we did it, but I might recommend taking out the passenger seat.

My suggestion. Find the Acura Service manual. Its floating around the internet somewhere. Its all I used to take off my headliner and it went fine. The whole job took about 3 hrs.

Edit: I saw that I said there that its only held on by velcro. False. There are 2 crucial clips in the back of the headliner, which I managed to break (luckily i bought a new headliner from a wrecked 08 TL so I had extra clips). Lining up these holes were a bit tricky. I also believe there are a few clips towards the front
Originally Posted by Sutitan
I blame myself completely for mine failing. A few years back I went on a road trip out west with some friends. It was cold outside, so I figured id use the sunroof tilt feature, where the back of the sunroof just rises up, while the rest says shut. In order to restrict the airflow a bit, we kept the sunroof slide closed. the passangers in the backseat felt cold air blowing by there necks coming from the C pillar area. Basically, moist air was flowing through my headliner. Also, the lack of tinted windows in florida for about 7 years probably didnt help.

When I peeled back the fabric from the headliner (once it was out the car of course), you could actually see little beads of water. The foam was physically wet. Im honestly surprised my car didnt stink. the foam was a dark brownish color. the new headliners foam was white.

Also as a heads up, for anyone looking to keep there car completely stock, and is fine with using parts from junk cars, the base 07-08 headliner is the exact same as the 04-06 base color. I believe even the part number is identical. there were a few minor differences, such as the actual headliner backing material (04 headliner felt alot stiffer. 07 felt a bit more cloth like and was more flexable). Also, the 04 headliner had a metal bracket for the visor light. The 07 light did not have the metal bracket, but fits in just fine.
Right on thank you!!! I will be using this in my process.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Racer

Anyone know any good materials to use for the headliner? Or just regular fabric type material is good? I don't want it to look cheep like tshirt material.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Racer

I remember looking at http://www.miamicorp.com/ and www.bry-tech.com/ when trying to source OEM fabric. Their websites are both miserable to navigate. the part you want could be hidden in the most random place (IE bry-tech had Acura headliners under Chrysler/Dodge -> Nissan -> Honda. If you dont understand that, its because you shouldn't). I remember speaking to both, and I think both were fine with just dealing with me as an individual (vs companies that have large accounts open with them).

Make sure to look for foam backed material as well. They exist on both sites.

Edit: My advice when looking on Miamicorp. when browsing OEM fabrics, Start here. Ever year is random with them. They have acura for 04, 05, but fabrics vary. Take a look at honda as well since the fabric is usually very similar. Again, check several years, since it varies greatly by year on there website. Also, they do a poor job of letting you know whats 1/8" backed. I believe items starting with PHX are, but I cant guarantee that. Some items say it, others done.

Last edited by Sutitan; 04-09-2013 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
teeeejaay (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Mine just started too, love us 04's being the pioneers for all the issues the car ends up having, huh?!?!

Mine is only doing it in the back corner for now...so I used some pins to hold up.
lol mine was only back corner too now its all over ahh!!!

Ill update my progress thread as soon as this is finished. cant wait
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Racer

So no more using the sun roof with the back tilted? What if I open the slide part?

I been riding with the sun roof totally open and the slide open, also I like to ride with the back of it tilted like you guys said. But I open the slide part either way. Will that affect my new headliner?

Last edited by teeeejaay; 04-09-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone have video on how to take headliner out? The explanation is great, I just need to see how to take the front two lights out. I spent half the day trying to pry them out with no luck.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:01 PM
Instructor

bump
Old 08-30-2020, 06:57 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
man, my head liner is sucking some big donkey balls right now too.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:44 PM
Instructor

my entire car sucks
Old 08-30-2020, 07:44 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
mine too, I want another car, but not really.

which front lights, did you need help with>?