'04 no crank - alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013 | 12:10 PM
6th Gear

'04 no crank - alternator?

Last Thursday my 04 wouldn't start. It started in the driveway fine, but 10 minutes later when getting back in after a 5 minute stop on the way to work it wouldn't, initially... What I mean is that when I got back in and turned the key, the dash when about 95% dark. I could only see the red 'brake' light on the dash very faintly. After a few turn-the-key-off/turn-the-key-on times, the dash came back up normal and started fine. I went to work (10 minute drive) without incident. Upon getting to work and turning the car off, it did the same thing when I tried to start it again. Same thing at lunchtime. Both times it eventually started back. Of course at the end of the day to come home, it wouldn't start at all. No dash lights, no horn, nothing but the occasional faint dash. Even with a co-worker connecting jumper cables, it wouldn't do anything but make what sounded like the starter spinning, but nothing on the motor.

I got the car towed home Saturday. I don't know if it sitting at work for two days put enough charge back in the battery or not, but my 8 year old pushed the horn and it worked when the tow driver was under the front end unhooking the winch cable. I took the battery to have it load tested Monday. It came back fine they said. I shot a quick video Sunday (after the car had sat without touching it at all for a few days) and this is what it did then.

In the interest of full disclosure, I just replaced the starter about 3-4 weeks ago with a boneyard unit.

Any ideas? I've seen that apparently you can't test the alternator without the car running unless you take it out and take it to a shop. I did the starter myself without any hesitation, but the belt on the alternator has me apprehensive for whatever reason.

Thanks for any and all help on this one.
Old 09-25-2013 | 02:13 PM
Team Owner

I would start with the battery connections and the ground near the battery. It's very unlikely it's the alternator, I've run my car for 2 days off of battery power with no alternator. If it's starts sometimes and sometimes it doesn't but requires no charging in between starts, it's a connection somewhere. The only exception would be if the battery has an internal open or short.

I've never had to do a starter on a TL but many cars use the starter as a sort of junction between the battery and accessories. Since you just replaced the starter, I would make sure all connections are good.
Old 10-02-2013 | 01:23 PM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem. Did you find out what it is?