'04 Acura TL stalled while stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Acura TL stalled while stopped

Hey Everyone -

Just bought an '04 TL with 87k miles on it a few weeks back. Was at the DC inspection station this morning, waiting in a long line, when the car stalled. I restarted it, and it ran smooth for a while (in Drive, while just waiting in place), the RPMs dipped down (rough idle), and then it stalled again (and then it happened a third time).

This problem has happened once before at a traffic light - i stopped at the light for maybe a minute, then it got rough for a second and just stalled out. I started it back up and drove away no problem. I have been using premium gas - and I was on a different tank of gas this morning at the inspection place than i was when i stalled at the light...

I was able to get a video of it the second time it stalled this morning -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczXdENwFJY

Any thoughts? Also, I have a one month, 1000 mile powertrain warranty from the dealer - do you think that this would be covered by that?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 PM
7th Gear

having the same problem

I am currently having the same problem right now and it would stall but not produce a CEL (check engine light). Eventually I caught it and brought it to the mechanic to check on the light and it says there was something going on with the throttle body error p2101.

Things to note the idle at a stop should be around 800 rpm and right now it looks like your idling is like mine is consistently 750 and below. *****

What I had gotten done so far, after some research I brought the car in for a throttle body clean out and especially the IACV. Since there is most likely regular carbon build up on the Idle Air Control Valve. With that having been cleaned it will cause the idle management more responsive to the engine bouncing below 500 rpm to its death. However, the final step to temporarily correct the problem is that you will have to unhook the battery for 30min and make sure you have your 6 digit acura car code BEFORE you attempt this. Otherwise you wont be able to use your radio. ----- If it is an acura dealership they will be able to retrieve that for you, if you dont then check in the forums on how to retrieve it (you basically have to do some investigative calling)-----

After the 20 min hook the battery backup and let the car idle for 20 min. DO NOT BE A DUMBASS AND START ACCELERATING. With the battery off it clears the ecu unit and letting it idle for 20 min will allow the ecu to relearn its idle. After this just take the car for a spin. This is what I have done so far and I have not had a problem with the car stalling at a stop or stalling when slowing down the low rpms.

However, this will not fix the underlying problem of idle being lower than normal which should be 800rpm. What I am currently doing is I have bought a a used throttle body off of ebay and will see if that will address my low idle rpm problem when it comes through the mail. I will be seafoaming the engine the intake and gas tank this weekend to see what that does. Otherwise I will have to double check on leaks and pressure of all hoses.

Final note let me know if you are having a problem with the power steering, noting serious but does it seem heavier and clunkier when using the steering at low speeds. Namely maneuvering into park and out of park. Respond and let me know.

This seems to be an infrequent issue but known none of the less. Usually this shouldnt be a problem but I seeing more posts about it now.

*****It will only get worse unless something is done, and it will become dangerous since this problem of engine stall is completely unpredictable, therefore dangerous. Since you can be approaching a right hand turn slow down and the engine will die, causing the power steering to die and you will have to wrestle the steering to keep the car in the proper lane. While the car is still moving while slamming on the brakes all the while the momentum will carry you into the on coming traffic lane. That is what happened to me and was I ever fucken pissed and lose confidence in ACURA all at once. It was intense. Otherwise when everything is running as it should its a great car, but that can be said about any car working behaving properly. This problem shouldnt be something you hold off later to address, cause safety is more important than saving money.

Last edited by TLrubout; 06-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
7th Gear

Did some research and conversing with an Acura technicians and found out. Engine valves play a big part in the idle control on these engines. Due to low engine vacuum when they get tight .We see this all the time in these engines. I have never replaced a defective throttle body on one of these. But we see low idle ,stalling and even miss fire codes from tight valves on these, So I would adjust the valves first before replacing any parts.