The **OFFICIAL** Power Steering Hose RECALL Thread 08-016

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008 | 07:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by narnia
I just received the recall for the Power Steering Fluid Leak and the Windshield Wipers. For anyone who's had this done - how long should it take them to repair both if they do need to be done? I can't be without a car right now, is it typical that you get a loaner car for recall repairs?
it really depends on how busy the dealership is. most of the waiting is from the car sit waiting for them to work on. if yours is the only car that day, it can probabaly be done in 1/2 hour, but that would be impossible.
loaners r also depends on each dealer. they go according to how many loaners they have. thats y some dealers boost how many loaners they have to attract customers.
Old 05-18-2008 | 12:41 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Goldenboy -

You may or may not be ok, depending upon your entire VIN. As I said in the original post, they still don't seem to have the VINs accurate to take into account 07 - 08 S's. That said, at this time, currently all 07s, base or S, get the recall, UNLESS you have an M/T. 08s are the same thing, but only up to a certain VIN. See the first post of this thread for the breakdown.

Tech7427 and Acura Fixer -

Yah I've got a nice collection of bags of extra parts going. I'll never have to worry about not having any extra exhaust gaskets and nuts for the rest of my life! Now Acura Fixer, did I read your post correctly that you can do these TL hoses in 20 mins?! If so, I would really love to know how exactly you're doing them. With the RL, I agree, I had it down to about 30-35 mins. But with the TL, and this is of course skipping half the crap that you def don't need to do, I've only got my times down to about 1.1 hours. So I would def like to know your tricks so I can reduce my times even more. Not too bad even at 1.1 though considering it pays 1.9 or 1.7, depending on year.

I'm getting about 3-4 of these a day, paired with the wiper motor inspection as well of course. Keeps me busy, makes me money, so I'm not complaining...but my back sure is. Oh well.
Old 05-20-2008 | 07:43 PM
Another DESI Acurziner

Originally Posted by GIXXERDK
Would people who bought a used TL at a nonacura dealership get this notice? My friend bought his at some used car lot.
yes I got it in the mail. I bought one at used lot
Old 05-20-2008 | 09:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acuratech239
Goldenboy -

You may or may not be ok, depending upon your entire VIN. As I said in the original post, they still don't seem to have the VINs accurate to take into account 07 - 08 S's. That said, at this time, currently all 07s, base or S, get the recall, UNLESS you have an M/T. 08s are the same thing, but only up to a certain VIN. See the first post of this thread for the breakdown.

Tech7427 and Acura Fixer -

Yah I've got a nice collection of bags of extra parts going. I'll never have to worry about not having any extra exhaust gaskets and nuts for the rest of my life! Now Acura Fixer, did I read your post correctly that you can do these TL hoses in 20 mins?! If so, I would really love to know how exactly you're doing them. With the RL, I agree, I had it down to about 30-35 mins. But with the TL, and this is of course skipping half the crap that you def don't need to do, I've only got my times down to about 1.1 hours. So I would def like to know your tricks so I can reduce my times even more. Not too bad even at 1.1 though considering it pays 1.9 or 1.7, depending on year.

I'm getting about 3-4 of these a day, paired with the wiper motor inspection as well of course. Keeps me busy, makes me money, so I'm not complaining...but my back sure is. Oh well.
Okay, this is my procedure. pull the car in and take off the strut bar of course, I also put the hood into the service position by taking the passenger side hood strut ball joint out and moving it into the service position. It holds the hood up in a 90 degree position for better light and more room to move.

Next I get an oil absorbant mat and put it under the hose fitting that screws into the rack so when I take the hose off it gets most of the fluid. Take the flare nut loose and the clamp for the low pressure return line off. Take off the bracket that holds the low and high pressure lines together. Pull the return line through the rear mount and prop it up out of your way. Depending on year the 05 auto and up you have to take that damper out and the 06 the extra bracket that holds another clamp for the low pressure line.

Next on the passenger side I take off the hose from the pump and blow air through it to get most of the fluid out so it doesnt leak all over the place when your moving the line around. I then take the 10mm bolt holding the heatshield to the rack mounting bracket off and bend the heatshield forward out of my way. Next take the two 14mm bolts holding the steering rack mount bracket and undo the clamp for the low pressure line. Take the entire bracket out of your way as this will give you so much more room.

Now take the P.S. pressure switch off (if its an 04 or 05 M/T you can leave it on till you take the line out but all others I take it out while the line is still in the car. ) Okay this part is optional and up to you. Since our parts dept stopped asking for the old line back and said we can trash them, I cut the line in half at the 90 degree bend with my cut off tool to make removing the line a breeze. If you dont cut it it will take you an extra 2 minutes to get the old one out.

On 04 and 05 M/T you pull the line out the passenger side. On 05 Auto and up you pull the line out the drivers side. The lines are shaped different so thats why the variation. First one will take you some time to figure out just the right way to twist and push the line through but it does go through pretty smooth both ways once you get used to them.

Once through put everything back together and fill it up, clean up any spilled fluid and have a beer. I know it sounds like a lot but really its not once you do it this way a couple times. I dont even have to raise the car up in the air at all this way. Hope this helps and hope you know what Im trying to describe.
Old 05-21-2008 | 08:41 AM
Team SSM Queen

I called Rallye Acura today and they don't have parts yet, expecting them in mid-June. They said the power steering hose must be changed (takes about 2 hours) and the wiper motor housing is inspected to see if it does need to be changes (1 hour to fix if necessary). Either way they'll give me a loaner for the day.
Old 05-21-2008 | 08:13 PM
Advanced

i think paragon has the parts. call them
Old 05-21-2008 | 08:47 PM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by ACURAFANANTIC
i think paragon has the parts. call them
Paragon is the reason I bought at Rallye.

Paragon = poison, do a search of them on this forum.
Old 05-22-2008 | 08:50 AM
I need more money

I just received the recall for the Power Steering Fluid Leak and the Windshield Wipers. For anyone who's had this done - how long should it take them to repair both if they do need to be done? I can't be without a car right now, is it typical that you get a loaner car for recall repairs?
As I've posted before I had those two recalls completed last week and it took 3 hours. They gave me a MDX Loaner.
Old 05-22-2008 | 11:57 AM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by wneichorn
As I've posted before I had those two recalls completed last week and it took 3 hours. They gave me a MDX Loaner.
What did you think of the MDX, how did it handle compared to the TL?
Old 05-22-2008 | 02:17 PM
9th Gear

getting my done tomorrow morning..made the appointment last week...
Old 05-23-2008 | 02:15 PM
NTMD8

I guess I will make an appt to get this done...but i didn't get the notice since I just picked up the TL 2 days ago....
Old 05-23-2008 | 03:55 PM
Another DESI Acurziner

My TL has been sitting at the stealer for the past 35 hrs (for the two recall jobs). Still waiting for the call from the "service adviser". Got the loaner car though.
Old 05-23-2008 | 09:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuratech239
I'de also like to add that I've done a few of these on certified units that we couldn't sell until a new hose was installed, even though at that time the new hoses weren't available, and we were just putting on new, but old style, hoses.

These def take longer then the RLs. The RL paid 1.3 hours, I averaged around .6 to .7 hours, so I made money. These, on the other hand, pay 1.9 hours for 2004-2006 and 1.7 hours for 2007-2008. I've only done about five of these, on 04-05s, and it's taken me about 1.7 each time. This is annoying since the bulletin tells you to remove a bunch of extra stuff that you don't need to, but still only pays that low amount. If you actually removed all the stuff they told you to, I can't see how you could get it done in that time.

But as most Acura/Honda techs will tell you, warranty never pays enough time on jobs!

Good news for me though is that according to the bulletin, and vehicles affected, I don't have to get my hose replaced! (I drive an 07 Type S 6 speed). I hope that stays true because ever since I did my first TL hose, I was hesitant to want to do it my own car....

I want to quickly add that I do not want to start a "panic". As I understand this, they are doing the older TLs first, as they would be the ones with higher mileage, etc, that would be more prone to be damaged. So be patient and wait to get your notice in the mail. Don't flood the dealerships with phone calls and questions!!!

Like I said, I'll try and update this thread if/when changes/updates are made to the bulletin.
you can do them in less than an hour. they are so much easier than the rl. take the strut bar and cruise control out. you do everything from up top and dont even have to raise the car. you will just have to slightly bend the line when you slide it under the mount and unbend it once you get it in to position. i have done 5 of them and they are so easy. you can do the ps and wiper recalls in less than an hour and a half.
Old 05-24-2008 | 01:27 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 4thof5
getting my done tomorrow morning..made the appointment last week...
The job took about 3 hours...however they had the car the whole day...got a TSX loaner (2008)..nice car....Precision Acura only gives loaners to customers who brought cars from them...good luck to everyone..
Old 05-24-2008 | 01:50 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Originally Posted by 4thof5
The job took about 3 hours...however they had the car the whole day...got a TSX loaner (2008)..nice car....Precision Acura only gives loaners to customers who brought cars from them...good luck to everyone..
I want to get the recall done but they said that they won't give me a loaner because i am under 25. Why would they sell a car to a person under 25 but will not give me loaner car. Its their fault for having things for recall...they want go rent a car from else where and leave the car their for the day..
Old 05-24-2008 | 07:24 PM
Advanced

loaners r up to each dealer. they can say they dont give loaner to any1 that walks funny. lol!
my guess is that they think under 25 is a bad risk driver or the insurance poily restrictions.
Old 05-24-2008 | 07:42 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

nick04tl - That post about the hose recall taking about 1.7 hours is an old post, having only done a few. As my later posts say, I have them down to right around an hour or so now. If I actually feel like busting my butt, I've done them in about .8 hours.

Acura Fixer - I tried your way....and failed miserably lol. I also made one hell of a mess. But I really appreciate the fact that you took all the time to write up those instructions for me! I may try it again at some point, but for the time being I'm just going to stick with my way. I figure getting them done in an hour or less still isn't bad, and I'm raking in tons of money doing a bunch of these a day. The bonus checks are even higher now for me So thanks again for trying to help out a fellow tech.

Oh and we got the kits in for the 05-06s A/Ts this past week. (the 306 kits as opposed to the 305 kits). So now I'm sure we'll be getting even more TLs in for the recalls. Def not complaining!
Old 05-29-2008 | 11:38 AM
Intermediate

i got mine changed yesterday . they gave me renter (2008 type-s w/ navi) coz i still needed to go to work..

anyways after a few hours i get a call and they say i have to change my power steering pump and filter/tank. seriously i told them 2 months ago during my regular oil change i was hearing my power steering whinning everytime i turn or more the steering wheel just a bit. they said oh its just cold in the morning so it should be fine. i mean yeah thats the only time i heard the whinning but damn why wait that f-ing long to check it while they do the recall and tell me this shit.. now i gotta fix it and it costs $487.

any advice on what i should do? my warranty is out the door already and i didnt get an extention coz if i did it would just end by the following year since i use this as a daily driver and rack miles on like its no joke.

also whos actually techs at acura.. i have some problems i would like to ask about my car. PM me please.
Old 05-30-2008 | 09:47 AM
Another DESI Acurziner

Hey if you can prove that you complained about the same problem while under warranty they should take care of it for free now. Good luck

Originally Posted by 619creepin
i got mine changed yesterday . they gave me renter (2008 type-s w/ navi) coz i still needed to go to work..

anyways after a few hours i get a call and they say i have to change my power steering pump and filter/tank. seriously i told them 2 months ago during my regular oil change i was hearing my power steering whinning everytime i turn or more the steering wheel just a bit. they said oh its just cold in the morning so it should be fine. i mean yeah thats the only time i heard the whinning but damn why wait that f-ing long to check it while they do the recall and tell me this shit.. now i gotta fix it and it costs $487.

any advice on what i should do? my warranty is out the door already and i didnt get an extention coz if i did it would just end by the following year since i use this as a daily driver and rack miles on like its no joke.

also whos actually techs at acura.. i have some problems i would like to ask about my car. PM me please.
Old 05-31-2008 | 08:20 AM
Instructor

They took about 6 hours on mine. If you need a loaner car you have to call them 2 weeks in advance (this is paragon acura hate that dealership).
Old 06-10-2008 | 01:15 AM
Instructor

My 07 TL since new, has had a slight left turn chattering noise from the power steering similar to when you have the wheel at full lock turn. I now have about 9k miles and its getting slightly more audible. I never noticed it much when first driving thanks to the radio. I wonder if this hose replacement will take care of it. Anyone else experience this gurgling chatter noise? It's not a squeel though.
Old 06-10-2008 | 01:30 AM
Racer

Mine is an 05 and i picked up new from the dealer, but i haven't gotten any recall mails, should i be worried? If this was coverd sorry i didn't read all the posts in this thread. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008 | 03:22 PM
3rd Gear

As of this date - 6-10-08- I have not received a letter - the acura ownerlink...which is now myacura says my vehicle is on the recall list for the power steering hose...wodner why I never received a letter by snailmail...only reason i went to the MyAcura site was because of the info you guys have provided...thanks - no adress change since purchase here
Old 06-10-2008 | 11:47 PM
I drive a Subata.

Called in this morning to ask them about the recall. (never gotten any notifications) Got an appointment @ 3:30PM. Went there @ 3. Picked it up at 4:30.

Weir Canyon Acura is great.
Old 06-10-2008 | 11:50 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by T-Bonne
As of this date - 6-10-08- I have not received a letter - the acura ownerlink...which is now myacura says my vehicle is on the recall list for the power steering hose...wodner why I never received a letter by snailmail...only reason i went to the MyAcura site was because of the info you guys have provided...thanks - no adress change since purchase here
just contact the nearest Acura dealership and get it done. you don't need to be notified. recall has been publicly announced already. correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 06-11-2008 | 08:40 AM
No Limitz!

Question

OK! Does anyone have a COMPLETE list of recalls on the 3rd generation TL's? I know the powersteering & windshield wipers. Are there any other recalls? I want to take my car in and have them all addressed at once...
Old 06-11-2008 | 09:29 AM
AZ Community Team

^^

When you go in for the PS Hose/Wiper Motor, make sure the service writer runs a VIN check on your car. Any other outstanding recalls should pop right up.

You can also register at http://owners.acura.com/landing.aspx for an account. After your VIN is in go to SERVICE & MAINTENANCE then RECALLS. It *should* list all recalls for your VIN.
Old 06-11-2008 | 02:46 PM
No Limitz!

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
^^

When you go in for the PS Hose/Wiper Motor, make sure the service writer runs a VIN check on your car. Any other outstanding recalls should pop right up.

You can also register at http://owners.acura.com/landing.aspx for an account. After your VIN is in go to SERVICE & MAINTENANCE then RECALLS. It *should* list all recalls for your VIN.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2008 | 03:13 PM
I (don't) whine.

i took in my car today for the recall and they wanted to charge me cuz they it was going to be a lot more work cuz of my mods - s/c, cats, n jpipe. i asked the tech to show me exactly why it was going to be alot more work so he jacked up my car looked around and said it was going to be hard to get the jpipe off or some BS. i was like its the exact same as getting the stock jpipe off, same hardware etc...
i did get a brand new tsx loaner with navi w/ traffic, backup camera...its nice!
Old 06-11-2008 | 04:08 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

dude the guys over at St. Louis Acura tried the same shit with me! and i have less mods than you!
Old 06-11-2008 | 05:59 PM
4th Gear

Just had the power steering recall done on my 06. It might just be my imagination (and driving an RDX all day) but the steering feels stiffer.

Anyone else notice a difference after? No other parts but the hose and fluid on the work order.
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by bumforaliving
Just had the power steering recall done on my 06. It might just be my imagination (and driving an RDX all day) but the steering feels stiffer.

Anyone else notice a difference after? No other parts but the hose and fluid on the work order.

i didnt relaly notice anything different. I DO notice that the RDX, old gen TSX, new TSX, and new MDX all feel like their steering wheel IS stiffer and more rigid compared to ours.

but yea i had both power steering and windshield stuff done today.
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:09 PM
No Limitz!

Originally Posted by JCL622
i didnt relaly notice anything different. I DO notice that the RDX, old gen TSX, new TSX, and new MDX all feel like their steering wheel IS stiffer and more rigid compared to ours.

but yea i had both power steering and windshield stuff done today.

How long did it take? Did you end up getting a loaner vehicle?
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:14 PM

not over 25 so i'm not eligible for a loaner

whole thing took about 3-4 hours. and they were short staffed too
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:16 PM
No Limitz!

Unhappy

not over 25 so i'm not eligible for a loaner

whole thing took about 3-4 hours. and they were short staffed too

Oh, great...i'm only 23....GEESH!
Old 06-11-2008 | 11:17 PM

it's not so bad, go to a nice Acura dealership and bring your laptop. I had alot of fun sitting there reading AZ stuff the entire time.

some of the tech guys on break actually came by and we were looking at modified TLs in the photo gallery.
Old 06-12-2008 | 01:51 AM
I drive a Subata.

it's not so bad, go to a nice Acura dealership and bring your laptop. I had alot of fun sitting there reading AZ stuff the entire time.

some of the tech guys on break actually came by and we were looking at modified TLs in the photo gallery.
You should have showed those tech guys how Acura enthusiasts really think about the new TSX's front grill.
Old 06-12-2008 | 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by JS + TL
You should have showed those tech guys how Acura enthusiasts really think about the new TSX's front grill.

actually the service reps and techs were talking about the new TSX right when i arrived...lol seems the service managers are split and think the new TSX contains all the necessary changes and updates is definitely alot better. then i hear the tech guys and they basically sound like us. LOL ~

i like haphazardly made fun of the TSX styling to my service manager and he was very serious and told me he thought the new design was GOOD...then he told me that the full A-spec look of the new TSX will definitely turn heads.... lol

then some tech guy on his 15min break in the waiting room watching TV with me; i turn to him and say, man the new TSX looks like an overeager shark...and he just looks at me and rolls his eyes "not like we can dump it back to pre production" - and then he made some allusion about how even if the baby is born ugly, it's not like you can stuff it back in the womb or something like that. god it sure as hell made me nervous about the 4G TL

anyway, if you have the TSB for this, just call in ahead of time, and make sure they tell you CLEARLY, yes we have the parts; no we do not have the parts. then make your appointment accordingly.
Old 06-12-2008 | 05:30 PM
never stops!

I got my APP sensor busted on my 04 TL yesterday so took in and they applied hose TSB on it as well. Got an RDX as a loaner to drive.
Old 06-12-2008 | 06:38 PM
I (don't) whine.

in case anyone cares they replace:
Power steering feed hose
Power steering pressure switch
Wiper motor
Breather tube

Total cost was like $377, obviously you don't pay a dime.

Make sure if u have any exhaust mod they don't try to squeeze anything out of you. The acura mechanic I talked to said it was going to cost a grip cuz of all the mods i've done and how he has to lift the engine etc and won't be able to. I simply said show me, and he started with 'oh the headers are in the way' then 'oh i cant get to the motor mounts' then 'all ur exhaust piping is aftermarket and i cant remove it' then 'oh the jpipe bolts are too close to the subframe i cant remove it', and after each excuse was shot down they took care of it. Of course the service rep had no idea the the mechanic was even talking abt but kept agreeing with him lol. It was funny to see the mechanic try to call the shots and not the service rep..i have no idea why.

Quick Reply: The **OFFICIAL** Power Steering Hose RECALL Thread 08-016