The **OFFICIAL** Power Steering Hose RECALL Thread 08-016

Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
The **OFFICIAL** Power Steering Hose RECALL Thread 08-016

Ok guys. Well the day Acura emailed the techs about the upcoming P/S hose recall, I let everyone know on here in this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/how-long-do-you-stay-site-175430/

But because the recall is officially out, I've decided it should have a new thread (sorry mods, hope you don't mind. Just trying to help as usual )

Ok so here goes. This is service bulletin 08-016, entitled "Safety Recall: 2004 - 2008 TL Power Steering Feed Hose Leak" It was released yesterday, 04/22/08. I'm just writing it up today, 04/23/08. If anything changes (supercedes), I will try and post that up when it happens. Here are the details:

Vehicles affected:
2004 - 2006 TL - ALL
2007 TL - ALL except Type S with M/T
2008 TL - From VIN 19UUA66...8A00001 thru 19UUA66...8A05506 (except Type S with M/T)

Now after reading this, the 2008 info seems incorrect because first off, there should be six digits after the "A", not five. And yes, I've triple checked the document, it's right here infront of me. Second, Type S VINs are 19UUA7....

Again though, this is exactly what the document says, therefore I am writing it up as it has been presented to us. I even double checked it right before I left to make sure it hadn't been changed or updated.

Background: Prolonged high under-hood temperatures may cause the power steering hose to deteriorate prematurely and may cause the hose to crack and leak power steering fluid. Power steering fluid leaking onto a hot catalytic converter will generate smoke and could lead to an under-hood fire.

Client Notificition: Owners of affected vehicles will begin receiving notifications of this campaign the last week of April 2008.

Corrective Action: Install a power steering feed hose kit.

Parts Information:
Power steering feed hose kit:
2004 TLs: P/N 06535-SEP-305
2005-06 TLs with M/T: 06535-SEP-305
2005-06 TLs with A/T: 06535-SEP-306
2007-08 TLs with A/T: 06535-SEP-307
(Contains P/S feed hose, P/S pressure switch O-ring, P/S pump inlet O-ring, and all bolts, nuts, and gaskets needed for the repair.)

The rest of the info on there doesn't really pertain to customers, etc. It's just tech info. Hopefully someone will post a link up to the PDF at some point so anyone can actually read the whole thing for themselves if they are interested.

I just like to keep you all informed, especially when major things like this happen.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

I'de also like to add that I've done a few of these on certified units that we couldn't sell until a new hose was installed, even though at that time the new hoses weren't available, and we were just putting on new, but old style, hoses.

These def take longer then the RLs. The RL paid 1.3 hours, I averaged around .6 to .7 hours, so I made money. These, on the other hand, pay 1.9 hours for 2004-2006 and 1.7 hours for 2007-2008. I've only done about five of these, on 04-05s, and it's taken me about 1.7 each time. This is annoying since the bulletin tells you to remove a bunch of extra stuff that you don't need to, but still only pays that low amount. If you actually removed all the stuff they told you to, I can't see how you could get it done in that time.

But as most Acura/Honda techs will tell you, warranty never pays enough time on jobs!

Good news for me though is that according to the bulletin, and vehicles affected, I don't have to get my hose replaced! (I drive an 07 Type S 6 speed). I hope that stays true because ever since I did my first TL hose, I was hesitant to want to do it my own car....

I want to quickly add that I do not want to start a "panic". As I understand this, they are doing the older TLs first, as they would be the ones with higher mileage, etc, that would be more prone to be damaged. So be patient and wait to get your notice in the mail. Don't flood the dealerships with phone calls and questions!!!

Like I said, I'll try and update this thread if/when changes/updates are made to the bulletin.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Study

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would people who bought a used TL at a nonacura dealership get this notice? My friend bought his at some used car lot.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:46 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
AT239, thanks for keeping us up to date with info.
My car went in to the service department yesterday, unrelated. The service tech did mention the recall but stated that the parts will not arrive until next week.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by GIXXERDK
Would people who bought a used TL at a nonacura dealership get this notice? My friend bought his at some used car lot.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends if the seller(s) kept adequate records regarding the buyer(s) as the car moved from person-to-person and place-to-place.

In theory you should be notified. In reality, you are covered if your car is part of the recall, regardless of whether you are notified.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Instructor

If you bought an Acura from a non-Acura dealership, just call Acura and "register" your vehicle with them. That's what I did.

I talked to a Service Manager at Acura of Brookfield in Wisconsin and he claimed they wouldn't have the parts for this recall possibly until fall. Something to do with climate regions and who gets priority on the recall parts.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 PM
PaKn-A-mAk-N-bAc-Of-Da-Ac

i went to an acura dealer today and mentioned this recall and the guy said they havent heard of a fix yet for it. is this possible..
Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Instructor

the only way he would not know is if he does not read his correspondance from Acura, this was released 4/22. He has his head up his ars.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Originally Posted by MIZZ900
i went to an acura dealer today and mentioned this recall and the guy said they havent heard of a fix yet for it. is this possible..
Prime Acura of Walpole knew about this on the 7th. My friend who is a tech there stated that I would get a letter in the mail and would need to bring it back in for them to do the work...

What dealer did you go to?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:51 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hey Kevin,

As you know, I have an '07 Type-S 6MT as well, and I'm wondering...Why are our hoses ok, while everyone else's aren't?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Scott -

Good question, and I've wondered that too. Looking at the hose on my 07 S 6 speed, there appears to be no difference compared to the hoses of, say, an 07 S auto. So I'm not sure what the design difference is. The next time I'm on the phone with tech line at work, I may ask as I am curious as well! If I get any answers or find anything out, I'll be sure to post it up on here.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:06 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I just called my dealership and they say they won't get the parts to fix it til next month. Anyone in the DFW got this fix at their dealership?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Under your Acura...

at our dealership, we do NOT have the hoses in stock yet..

the RL's lines were a piece of cake, out the top and back in the top.. i had them down..if you really took the line out the side you're nuts!

these TL's are a tad harder, nothing to fret upon though.. ill take them anyday.. sure it doesnt pay enough, but i still make time on it. besides, youll make your time back during the day somewhere anyway..

and as said above, please be a patient acura customer.. dont call the dealerships constantly and bug the staff..
Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Ok they finally revised the bulletin to reflect a few changes, one of which is the correct VIN range for 08 TLs. It should read:

2008 TL - From VIN 19UUA66...8A000001 thru 19UUA66...8A005506 (except Type S with M/T).

They just simply forgot a zero after each "A". Nothing big, but it's finally correct. Though I still question the 19UUA6 vs. 19UUA7, but oh well. We get the point of the VIN range breakdown.

Currently our dealership only has the kits to do all 04s, and 05/06s with MANUAL trans only. Still glad mine isn't affected

I'm still just waiting for the onslaught of TLs coming in for this repair though. At least it'll keep us busy without a doubt.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:32 PM
XpressoBeans

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question BloomingTon ACura

Hello, Had my 05 TL in the BloomingTon Acura and asked about the recall, The Service Manager said they wont have the parts in until August????
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Originally Posted by xpressobeans
Hello, Had my 05 TL in the BloomingTon Acura and asked about the recall, The Service Manager said they wont have the parts in until August????
wow! i'm gonna call my local Acura dealership this weekend to set up an appointment possibly for the following weekend. i have a 2004 w/manual transmission.

any techs on here know if this would be a long fix? our hose recall here at Mercedes on our 203 C-Class takes about 4 hours.

any info would be great, thanks guys!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^ I called yesterday and was told it'll be roughly 2 weeks for the new revised parts to be in stock. August doesn't seem right at all.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I went to my Acura dealer and asked . They said that they were getting a few parts every week but that they were out right now. They said thay would call me when they got more. Also they said there was another recall on the car. It was for the windshield wiper motor. Thought you guys should know.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

To those asking about about part availibility and/or scheduling, the only hose kits we have in stock are the 06535-SEP-305s. These will only fit (should only be used for) ALL 04s, and 05/06s with MANUAL trans only.

I have not heard a release date for the other kits for the other years. As I stated in my beginning posts, they are doing the oldest TLs first, i.e. the 04s. We've had some 05/06s try and schedule, but since we don't have the kits, we have to turn them down. Basically we only do the customers who have actually received the notice in the mail.

This is because we are only alloted xxx amount of hose kits. So even if, say, an 06 TL 6MT comes in, if they don't have the letter, we pretty much won't do it. This again is simply because there are 04s out there who have the letter and need the repair, and we can't turn them down under any circumstance.

sol_da_man - Most techs (should) have this down to under two hours, easily. I average about 1.6 - 1.7 hours on these, not even rushing or anything. They really aren't difficult, you just have to remove a few things to actually remove the hose. Most places will try and get you to drop the car off for at least half a day though, so that it can cool down. Just like the RL hoses, you spend some time over the rear cat, and around the downpipe. So someone who, say, just pulled in and expects to wait on it...probably not going to happen.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

^thanks for the help acuratech
Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Drifting

I have a late build '07 TL Type S auto. I've called Acura's customer line 3 times and each time they've told me that my car is NOT on the power steering hose recall list.

So despite what the master list says, there are apparently some exceptions to it.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Advanced

go to places like www.ahm-ownerlink.com n find out if your in the recall yourself.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ACURAFANANTIC
go to places like www.ahm-ownerlink.com n find out if your in the recall yourself.
All they do is send me spam when I access that link, so I don't access it.

They also kept sending me irritating messages through my car's "Acuralink" and NAV system. I got the "use your set buckle" one like 5 times - read back to me by some 80's sounding male computer voice. I finally called them and told them I'd never buy another Acura unless they stopped sending me those silly messages. I tried disabling the messages on the Acuralink site and it didn't work.

Thankfully, I never got another message.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

harddrivin1le -

I can only speculate as to why they keep telling you you're not in the recall campaign, but here is my guess. As stated before, they are sending out the notices by year, etc. And I have a feeling that since yours is indeed an 07, that it's "technically" not up for the recall...yet.

What I'll do tomorrow to test my guess is get the VIN of an 07 S that I know will need the recall (i.e. an auto, like my friends), and check it on our network. Then I can see if it actually comes up as being needed done, or not. If my S was in the recall status (but it's not because it's an MT), I'de just check it right now to see.

Since they have now refreshed the applicable VINs, I do still believe that what is posted is the truth, in terms of which cars need the recall and which cars don't. That said, I still hope mine never falls into the catagory of needing it!

Oh and trust me, I hated those stupid daily messages too. After a the first few days of owning my car, I created an account with AHM to turn those damn things off. Thankfully, it listened to me and the only message(s) I ever get are service reminders (which of course is a waste since I work at Acura and already know what they mean and can do it myself lol).
Old 05-09-2008, 12:49 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I'm screwed if they require a "letter in hand" because for some reason they have my old address.. I bet the letter went to my old address...
Old 05-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I was in at my dealer, they performed the windshield wiper recall, but said that they have not heard of the PS one. Any canucks have this performed yet?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acuratech239
harddrivin1le -

I can only speculate as to why they keep telling you you're not in the recall campaign, but here is my guess. As stated before, they are sending out the notices by year, etc. And I have a feeling that since yours is indeed an 07, that it's "technically" not up for the recall...yet.

What I'll do tomorrow to test my guess is get the VIN of an 07 S that I know will need the recall (i.e. an auto, like my friends), and check it on our network. Then I can see if it actually comes up as being needed done, or not. If my S was in the recall status (but it's not because it's an MT), I'de just check it right now to see.

Since they have now refreshed the applicable VINs, I do still believe that what is posted is the truth, in terms of which cars need the recall and which cars don't. That said, I still hope mine never falls into the catagory of needing it!

Oh and trust me, I hated those stupid daily messages too. After a the first few days of owning my car, I created an account with AHM to turn those damn things off. Thankfully, it listened to me and the only message(s) I ever get are service reminders (which of course is a waste since I work at Acura and already know what they mean and can do it myself lol).
Mine's a TL-S automatic...Late build.

I suspect you're right and that it will ultimately get recalled.

Acura needs to seriously reconsider those various in car "reminders" and the barrage of marketing e-mails they send to people after they buy Acuras. Why would I want a new MDX, for example, days after I bought this car?

I change the oi/filter when the MM is around the "20%" figure and I'll swap out the air filter every 3rd oil change.

The cabin air filter job looks like a pain in the a**. My '06 Accord was so simple that it literally took two minutes. All I had to do was press in the two glove box retainers and let the glovebox door drop to its fully open position. The filter element was RIGHT THERE. There were no screws or dash panels to remove. It was literally a two minute job.

I plan on doing that once (around the 25K mile mark). I'll trade/sell the car before the 50K mile mark rolls around.

I'll have the front pads changed and the entire system bled/replaced when those pads are shot.

I don't plan on doing any other service to this car, other than having the OEM rubber replaced when it's shot.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Under your Acura...

so, how many bags of bolts and gaskets do you have saved up so far??

another out the top back in the top job. biggest pita in this job is the strut tower bar. besides that everything is a cake walk.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Talking

For those wondering if dealers have the parts yet, my 04' got the hose recall done last friday 5/9/2008 in conjunction with a transmission repair. There's parts in Atlanta.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tech7427
so, how many bags of bolts and gaskets do you have saved up so far??

another out the top back in the top job. biggest pita in this job is the strut tower bar. besides that everything is a cake walk.
LOL, talk about extra parts. I think these are much easier than the RL. I do RL's in about 30 minutes and these are about 20. I remember I replaced one way back when before the recall came out and the SM tells you nothing but to remove the old one and install the new one. If you follow the bulletin it will take you some time. But your right, the strut bar is the longest part of the job. These are becoming like the tensioner recalls, good pay if you know the short way.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
according to my local dealer that they are doing only 04's and this is ed voyles acura...if anyone in GA hears different about this dealer, please post, thx...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
On the letter it says we legally have to forward a copy to the lessee within 10 days. Which one is the lessee's address on the letter?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Advanced

did mines last week.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Instructor

had the wiper motor and power steering hose recalls addressed this monday.
04 6MT
Old 05-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Recall done yesterday

I had the hose and wipers motor done yesterday in atlanta on my 04. Just for conversation, I had a flare up under the hood a few months ago, scared the shit out of me...it's not natural to see flames in the engine compartment. Even though I was out of warranty they replaced the hose no charge; nice of them...
Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jessedog
I had the hose and wipers motor done yesterday in atlanta on my 04. Just for conversation, I had a flare up under the hood a few months ago, scared the shit out of me...it's not natural to see flames in the engine compartment. Even though I was out of warranty they replaced the hose no charge; nice of them...
they have to it's a recall by law. even if your car is 35 years old and a recall comes out they have to fix it.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
I just received the recall for the Power Steering Fluid Leak and the Windshield Wipers. For anyone who's had this done - how long should it take them to repair both if they do need to be done? I can't be without a car right now, is it typical that you get a loaner car for recall repairs?
Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

Got mine in the mail today..
Old 05-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acura911
they have to it's a recall by law. even if your car is 35 years old and a recall comes out they have to fix it.
I meant, they fixed it a couple of months ago before the recall was issued at no charge. Clearly they knew this was a problem
Old 05-17-2008, 05:39 PM
I caught the mod flu

I'm 19UUA7, so i'm good, correct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The **OFFICIAL** Power Steering Hose RECALL Thread 08-016