Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do opt. for getting the custom grill this is how its going to look.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
Is that trim piece above the license plate black chrome?
Nope- it's NBP!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
^^nice grill by rondog, best i've seen yet!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
^^nice grill by rondog, best i've seen yet!
Are you talking about the photochop Sandie did to Rondog's grill, the old concept Rondog grill, or the Kinetic blue original Rondog posted?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:38 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by rondog
bad news for those who want a floating "A" symbol, the grille and bumper are one piece and to get rid of the horizontal bar, you have to cut the bumper, there is no replacement piece. Besides, the horizontal bar compiments the two lower vents and adds to the car's appeal. So that becomes a custom thing. I was planning on making a grille trim replacement that looks a little more muscular with 2 planes...

PPLAPW has a few pics of what it looks like with just a mesh grill and no bar is in there. I guess I am going to have to ask him what he did to get that look. Probably what you said. Meanwhile, I'm going to hunt for someone that can do that stuff locally and ask what they think. I really want that bar out of there. A runner-up for me to that look is the body color grill.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
i meant post #39
Old 03-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonlord
Here is my contribution!

Sorry it's not so clean. Mesh is going in for re-powdercoating. A$$hole painted the mesh instead of powdercoat!
Where can I get the eyebrows?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Drifting

Mine are the CF from RockBlocker. He also had paintable ones. But I don't know if he carries them anymore.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been recieving quite a few PM's in regards of my grill... here are some pics...

Before...

And After...

And on the freeway when I use to have my Aspec emblem mounted...

Basicaly what I did was...

- Remove front bumper, then triangle silver accent and the bar that [holds the A symbol] runs across.
- This exposed a support bar that is integrated into the bumper. With a dremel I cut that off.
- Then sanded down around the cuts so its nice and flush, and then filed the holes with body filler/bondo.
- Then wrapped the gray part in carbon fiber using sheets of carbon fiber.
- I mounted the grill to the bumper using a wing nut and washer.

In a nut shell thats basically the process. A couple things to add though. Once you cut that bar, theres no going back! If I could go back I would paint the carbon fibered part the Aspec gray, unless I had 10+ years of working with carbonfiber. The results weren't horrible, I just wished it was cleaner...

I decided to keep my car instead of selling it, was going to get a 335 but decided to hold on to my TL for a little bit longer. At that, I will probably powdercoat the mesh and have the carbonfibered part painted profesionaly at a paint shop, along with the triangle accents.... to match the Aspec gray of my wheels and the front lip....

Any Q's feel free to ask...
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
I've been recieving quite a few PM's in regards of my grill... here are some pics...

Before...

And After...

Well, we've now seen a real pic of the mesh grill and I love the look.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:23 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I have a question: How about swapping bumpers with me since I have an A-spec kit and then you can "go back" as you said? Then, I would have my look I wanted!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm in

^Haha

Add 1,000,000 and you have a deal...
Old 03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

In a nut shell thats basically the process. A couple things to add though. Once you cut that bar, theres no going back! If I could go back I would paint the carbon fibered part the Aspec gray, unless I had 10+ years of working with carbonfiber. The results weren't horrible, I just wished it was cleaner...
Did you mean you WOULDN'T paint it gray unless you had ten years experience? Hey, what do you think PPLAPW of CF'ing that whole part other than the mesh (traingular trim and strip on hood, plus part you already CF'ed)? How do you think that will look? Basically, everything in there except the mesh is CF'ed! Or do you think it is better to keep the inside part solely CF'ed, and to NBP the trimming? Either way, dammit...this is hot!

See Rondog man...it can be done...and you even have customers man...
Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^Haha

Add 1,000,000 and you have a deal...
LOL! Just checking...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
PPLAPW, question for you. The cross support bar you said you removed. Do you think that it could have been painted black and then have the mesh angle down in front of it?

How obtrusive was that cross support bar? Do you have a pic of it before you cut it off?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1

See Rondog man...it can be done...and you even have customers man...
Of course, but he didn't buy that housing, some of you fail to realize that the grey colored plastic grille and the bumper are the same piece painted two different colors. Remove your "V" shaped trim and look at the seam. To get it like that is totally custom, which requires CUTTING the grille / bumper which can never be put back unless you get a whole new bumper. Personally, I don't like permanent mods, just in case the owner decided to revert to stock and sell the car.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
wdp skyhawk

Not my bag, but I respect the originality.
i will buy one asap
Old 03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
wdp skyhawk

Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
Ok you said photoshops too. So here are some I was showing to RonJon, but what do you guys think? Mesh?

If you make I will buy.
i want one
Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rondog
Of course, but he didn't buy that housing, some of you fail to realize that the grey colored plastic grille and the bumper are the same piece painted two different colors. Remove your "V" shaped trim and look at the seam. To get it like that is totally custom, which requires CUTTING the grille / bumper which can never be put back unless you get a whole new bumper. Personally, I don't like permanent mods, just in case the owner decided to revert to stock and sell the car.

We'll I wouldn't mind cutting my bumper to get a look like this at all. That photoshop without the floating symbol I made is how I would love to have it. The floating symbol, I must admit looks good too, would be nice also.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm in

I mean't if I had 10+ years experience working with carbon fiber, I would go ahead and carbon fiber it. I have none what so ever. The results aren't as clean as I would like them to be. Therefore UNLESS your a professional in the carbon fiber industry lol, go ahead. If not have a paint shop or yourself paint it.

I plan on powdercoating the mesh to prevent chipping and painting the 'V' shaped accent and the bar on the hood the Aspec gray. As well as where the carbon fiber is sitting.

And Buda, you could paint the bar black and mount the mesh in front but IMO, it would look akward. You would have to mount the mesh with cable ties of something......

Here's a picture from when I smoked my headlights... the red circles are where you cut and sand down, then fill with body filler...

Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paz840
here's the grill i like...it's a concept from the ronjon website
[IMG][/IMG]
Will the grills fit on the stock bumper? I really would like to see how that would look.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Is that a real prototype grille in the RJ pic? I don't think he ever made an actual grille. I think that is photoshopped.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:51 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Buda
Do you think that it could have been painted black and then have the mesh angle down in front of it?

I think that could be done. By mounting the mesh flush with the grille opening you can save your crossbar from being permanently cut. But as PPLAPW said I think it would look weird. Having that mesh set back like a "mouth" looks aggresive and sporty.

When I get my bumper off in a few weeks I'm gonna do a few experiments as to what way will look best; mesh in front/bar painted vs. mesh behind with a floating A....We'll see how it turns out.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I think that could be done. By mounting the mesh flush with the grille opening you can save your crossbar from being permanently cut. But as PPLAPW said I think it would look weird. Having that mesh set back like a "mouth" looks aggresive and sporty.

When I get my bumper off in a few weeks I'm gonna do a few experiments as to what way will look best; mesh in front/bar painted vs. mesh behind with a floating A....We'll see how it turns out.
Whaddup Rocky!

I'm thinking more of getting the floating A man. I may try just the empty look, and then add the A later, but I dunno...what do you think?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
As for the hood trim, if I can get the parts at cost, I'm considering ordering both the '06 and TL-S versions. That way if the '06 plating doesn't take the '07 will have a better shot. Also would be interested to see if it impacts the coloring of the Black chrome.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:11 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Buda
As for the hood trim, if I can get the parts at cost, I'm considering ordering both the '06 and TL-S versions. That way if the '06 plating doesn't take the '07 will have a better shot. Also would be interested to see if it impacts the coloring of the Black chrome.
If you can get a license plate assy cheap let me know!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
darksom1, I dont know anyone locally who does custom work. I never modded any of my cars to the point ( visually) where I needed custom fabrication on it. I wonder why they made the bumper all one piece. All of my previous hondas have had removable grills...hmm...I think the overlay from the first RJ Concept grill would be best. You wouldn't have to cut the bar, just remove the "A" and the grill should be able to be placed over it with some type of adhesive/ mounting bracket
Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Meek32v6
darksom1, I dont know anyone locally who does custom work. I never modded any of my cars to the point ( visually) where I needed custom fabrication on it. I wonder why they made the bumper all one piece. All of my previous hondas have had removable grills...hmm...I think the overlay from the first RJ Concept grill would be best. You wouldn't have to cut the bar, just remove the "A" and the grill should be able to be placed over it with some type of adhesive/ mounting bracket
I think the overlay of the RJ concept is just more of the same look with the bar. I don't want the bar. I think it makes the car look very aggressive without the bar and I will definitely be unique! (East Coast at least! PPLAPW is on the West!) I guess the most that can go wrong is I need a new bumper to trade it in right? And we have plenty of junk yards in PG (Save-More, Brandywine, etc).

So yes, I am going for it and I may have found someone that will do it locally called Trick Trucks. Heard of them? They have more than one shop so they may know what they are doing. (j/k) They have one in Frederick which is where I am going to check it out. I described it on the phone and I have my pics ready! Thanks PPLAPW!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
I like to whistle in my

I think the overlay of the RJ concept is just more of the same look with the bar. I don't want the bar. I think it makes the car look very aggressive without the bar and I will definitely be unique! (East Coast at least! PPLAPW is on the West!) I guess the most that can go wrong is I need a new bumper to trade it in right? And we have plenty of junk yards in PG (Save-More, Brandywine, etc).

So yes, I am going for it and I may have found someone that will do it locally called Trick Trucks. Heard of them? They have more than one shop so they may know what they are doing. (j/k) They have one in Frederick which is where I am going to check it out. I described it on the phone and I have my pics ready! Thanks PPLAPW!!!
Yeh there's one down by me in Waldorf and one up in Bladensburg. One thing I thought about about the bar is that it would weaken the bumper meaning I think it will warp easier...but yeh,I've seen front bumpers on ebay for like 50+ shipping. I would rather buy one of those and experiment with it..for the fog light replacement too
Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Meek32v6
Yeh there's one down by me in Waldorf and one up in Bladensburg. One thing I thought about about the bar is that it would weaken the bumper meaning I think it will warp easier...
Now that would definitely dissuade me from doing this mod! I have to call Acura on that. Maybe I might just go back up there tomorrow and ask them.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm in

Till this day cutting the bar has not posed any problems for me as far as weaking the bumper. The only thing I noticed was it was easier to flex the center. I've also removed my bumper a couple times after modding my grill and didn't have any problems.

ACCURATEin had his bumper just like mine for about 2 years and no problems...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:08 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Till this day cutting the bar has not posed any problems for me as far as weaking the bumper. The only thing I noticed was it was easier to flex the center. I've also removed my bumper a couple times after modding my grill and didn't have any problems.

ACCURATEin had his bumper just like mine for about 2 years and no problems...
That sounds good enough to me! Thanks for all your help man!

One of the things that I have found to be crazy about this mod, is the people that work at body shops reactions when I tell them what I want done. They are like it can't be done or wow I would like to see that! So...you da man PPLAPW!!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm in

Old 03-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Spent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i saw some dude in boca with a billet grille
Old 03-16-2007, 05:23 AM
Back after 1 Year!

OH yeah I'm going to make my photoshop from page 10 or 11 come true!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

What do you guys think?...I think it's awesome!!!

Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
OH yeah I'm going to make my photoshop from page 10 or 11 come true!
You know those emblems that Trancemission did that you said you liked?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=1&pp=25

Well, I've been checking up on them and waiting for the guy to give me a price. I was thinking of either:

1) Making the whole front grill w/trim (hood strip, molding, and bar/emblem) look like that black-chrome color. What do you think of the whole grill like that, and the rear (debadged - so only "A" and strip above lic plate) pieces as well?

-VS-

2) The grill we are talking about with the floating "A"? (Sandie post #17 & PPLAPW post # 48 in this thread) Even if I do this grill, my rear will look like color of emblem in option #1 above, and my floating "A" will be this color! (so that I still have the floating "A", but it will be basically blacked out grill without that chrome emblem standing out!)

I put that link in there for Trance's thread so anybody who sees this can weigh in on it. What do you guys think? I think #2 option is the best of both worlds, and not only that it will look friggin' A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
You know those emblems that Trancemission did that you said you liked?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=1&pp=25

Well, I've been checking up on them and waiting for the guy to give me a price. I was thinking of either:

1) Making the whole front grill w/trim (hood strip, molding, and bar/emblem) look like that black-chrome color. What do you think of the whole grill like that, and the rear (debadged - so only "A" and strip above lic plate) pieces as well?

-VS-

2) The grill we are talking about with the floating "A"? (Sandie post #17 & PPLAPW post # 48 in this thread) Even if I do this grill, my rear will look like color of emblem in option #1 above, and my floating "A" will be this color! (so that I still have the floating "A", but it will be basically blacked out grill without that chrome emblem standing out!)

I put that link in there for Trance's thread so anybody who sees this can weigh in on it. What do you guys think? I think #2 option is the best of both worlds, and not only that it will look friggin' A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!
Tough call. I think I personally like the first option. Both will look sweet and give you completely different looks. All I know is I want to see whatever you're going to do actually come to life. These threads are starting to get long!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:58 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Tough call. I think I personally like the first option. Both will look sweet and give you completely different looks. All I know is I want to see whatever you're going to do actually come to life. These threads are starting to get long!
Unfortunately, this isn't a DIY'er. Well, at least not for me. Because if it was, I'm so amped up I probably would have taken a couple days off just to do it with the weather so nice! But, since I have to wait on the Alex guy and find the right place to duplicate Accuratein and PPLAPW's grill, and yeah, Sandie's photochop which actually is the ideal look except for the changes I mentioned, it's a little out of my hands.

But one thing's for sure, and two things for certain - my grill will be modified soon...and I mean real soon!! Believe that!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Unfortunately, this isn't a DIY'er. Well, at least not for me. Because if it was, I'm so amped up I probably would have taken a couple days off just to do it with the weather so nice! But, since I have to wait on the Alex guy and find the right place to duplicate Accuratein and PPLAPW's grill, and yeah, Sandie's photochop which actually is the ideal look except for the changes I mentioned, it's a little out of my hands.

But one thing's for sure, and two things for certain - my grill will be modified soon...and I mean real soon!! Believe that!
You are definitely taking this whole front end modification thing to a whole new level, and I can certainly appreciate that. Only about four more days for me until my front end is done, then I can finally finish my: grill mod page
Old 03-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron's prototype is still the sickest grill Was there any reason this did not go into production?

I've painted my grill and I like it, but, still not aggressive enough. I want something like ron's prototype.

Quick Reply: Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!