AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Photograph Gallery (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/)
-   -   Pho The Nguyen's 2007 NHBP Type-S progress (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/pho-nguyens-2007-nhbp-type-s-progress-977556/)

Pho The Nguyen 02-27-2019 07:51 PM

Pho The Nguyen's 2007 NHBP Type-S progress

16 Attachment(s)
Sup y'all! I've been lurking on here for a while, figured I would introduce myself properly. Story time!

The car that started it all. 1993 Acura Integra GS. We all have to start somewhere.
Attachment 98397
Attachment 98398

She then died @ 298K miles. R.I.P.
Attachment 98399

Had to take the next day off to find a car to go to work. I originally wanted an Integra, but they were hard to find in decent condition and my credit union wouldn't finance me for a car that old. Found this at a dealership with really low miles so I bought it. 2003 Acura RSX Base.
Attachment 98400

The oil and gas industry was booming and it brought me out to California. I started feeling a little cramped in my little 2 door so I decided to get a 4 door.
Attachment 98401

I was really getting tired of my 2 door, so I decided to trade it in for a 4 door. I told the salesman that I would buy it if I didn't have to put down any money down, and I trade in my RSX. He agreed so I went home with it. In the middle of the week he calls me and says that he's going to need a down payment, so I told him that I was just going to return it and take my RSX back. I never had a good feeling about it anyways. The Type S wheels were chrome, the interior was taupe, and it had dings in the front and back from LA parking.
Attachment 98402

My contracted ended so it was time to move back to Texas.
Attachment 98403

Started my new job. Waited a few months. Found a TL Type S with high miles, but in decent condition. Finally traded in my RSX. I was a little sad, because I hit 100K miles in my RSX in California.
Attachment 98404
Attachment 98405

Texas weather has always been crazy. I was stuck at work, because the bridge by my office flooded over and I was in my TL while my Tundra was high and dry at home.
Attachment 98406

I worked overtime for a month to save up for a lift kit, wheels, and tires. My hard work finally paid off. I was never going to get stuck again because of flooding.
Attachment 98407
Attachment 98408

A few years pass. I've been looking at A-Spec kits for a while, but never pulled the trigger. I get a Christmas bonus so I decided to look for A-Spec kits again. Saw some websites say they're discontinued so I had to pull the trigger soon. The A-Spec kit for the RSX was discontinued and I didn't want the same thing to happen to my TL. I fell in love with the TL Type S with the A-Spec kit after lurking on here for years. I bought the TL Type S specifically for this kit.
Attachment 98409
Attachment 98410
Attachment 98411
Attachment 98412

I hope to make some friends on here and see some of y'all at meets!

24boosted 02-27-2019 07:55 PM

Awesome Tundra, the TL looks like its coming along nicely.

Pho The Nguyen 02-27-2019 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 24boosted (Post 16390404)
Awesome Tundra, the TL looks like its coming along nicely.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

90foxnotch 02-28-2019 08:15 AM

Good looking type s, Auto or manual? Truck looks great also

sockr1 02-28-2019 10:47 AM

great progress, the kit looks best on black IMO.
keep posting updates here would love to see more as this forum has really died down in the last 4-5 years (i've been on here since 2008 and still have my type s)

Pho The Nguyen 02-28-2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch (Post 16390567)
Good looking type s, Auto or manual? Truck looks great also

Thanks! It’s an AT, but I like having the paddle shifters haha

Pho The Nguyen 02-28-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16390686)
great progress, the kit looks best on black IMO.
keep posting updates here would love to see more as this forum has really died down in the last 4-5 years (i've been on here since 2008 and still have my type s)

I agree with you on the black. Some people thought I bought a new car, when I was driving the same car last week. I’ve neglected my TL-S when I lifted my truck. I was starting to get bored of my TL-S and even thought about trading it in. Taking on another big car payment isn’t what I want. My TL-S will be paid off in August so that means more money for parts. I just had to buy the A-Spec kit before they discontinued it.

truonghthe 02-28-2019 07:25 PM

welcome lurker, and from the picture looks like you are from Htown. Honk whenever you see me in one of these TL lmao.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...61b68051d.jpeg

Pho The Nguyen 02-28-2019 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16391002)
welcome lurker, and from the picture looks like you are from Htown. Honk whenever you see me in one of these TL lmao.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...61b68051d.jpeg

Goals! Will do! You make me want a WDP TL-S now haha

mb.3g 03-02-2019 09:25 AM

Welcome. Nice Type S, any plans for it? I must say I find your Tundra rather dashing as well... used to have one for work and it had the 5.7. That thing moved out.

Hope to see more posts!

Pho The Nguyen 03-03-2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mdnborg (Post 16391687)
Welcome. Nice Type S, any plans for it? I must say I find your Tundra rather dashing as well... used to have one for work and it had the 5.7. That thing moved out.

Hope to see more posts!

Thanks! I eventually want to get Tein coilovers and ATLP exhaust. I also want to get a supercharger for some spirited driving fun. I love my Tundra, but I don’t think it’s high enough. I won’t be happy until I get a 12” lift on 40” tires.

Pho The Nguyen 03-06-2019 04:17 PM

Just ordered some Tein S.Techs!

MyGuti 03-08-2019 02:05 PM

If all your looking for is spirited driving, ditch the idea of a supercharger and go with a ecu tune! That's my next mod
Good looking NBP!

Pho The Nguyen 03-12-2019 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MyGuti (Post 16395156)
If all your looking for is spirited driving, ditch the idea of a supercharger and go with a ecu tune! That's my next mod
Good looking NBP!

I don’t see that much hp gains from just an ECU tune. Since I missed the chance to have Toyota install a TRD supercharger on my Tundra by a few months, I figured would do it to my TL-S instead. Doesn’t look like you can turbo a TL without modifying the bumper. I like the look of my A-Spec bumper and I can supercharge it without modifying the bumper.

sockr1 03-12-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pho The Nguyen (Post 16396663)

I don’t see that much hp gains from just an ECU tune. Since I missed the chance to have Toyota install a TRD supercharger on my Tundra by a few months, I figured would do it to my TL-S instead. Doesn’t look like you can turbo a TL without modifying the bumper. I like the look of my A-Spec bumper and I can supercharge it without modifying the bumper.

ECU tune only adds about 10 hp but you gain much more in other aspects! you lose the vtec dip, better driveability, better response, and overall car feels great! but you're right it won't give the 60 hp gains that audis get on tunes haha

MyGuti 03-13-2019 02:00 PM

I've never understood the thinking behind adding a supercharger or turbo kit to these cars...sure it will be fast and put down serious power, but look at how much you pay and what your driving.....unless your planning on tracking the car....I don't understand how one can justify the money needed for such a mod.
I would rather wait, save and then use that money to pull the trigger on a more powerful car (preferably not a luxury sedan like the TL) that comes with 300+ horses stock (with a manual gearbox of course)

truonghthe 03-13-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by MyGuti (Post 16397467)
I've never understood the thinking behind adding a supercharger or turbo kit to these cars...sure it will be fast and put down serious power, but look at how much you pay and what your driving.....unless your planning on tracking the car....I don't understand how one can justify the money needed for such a mod.
I would rather wait, save and then use that money to pull the trigger on a more powerful car (preferably not a luxury sedan like the TL) that comes with 300+ horses stock (with a manual gearbox of course)

CTS-V Wagon with 6spd MT is your best friend then... boost from the factory and have enough room for small furniture, luxury interior and yet it haul ass.

Pho The Nguyen 03-14-2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16396788)
ECU tune only adds about 10 hp but you gain much more in other aspects! you lose the vtec dip, better driveability, better response, and overall car feels great! but you're right it won't give the 60 hp gains that audis get on tunes haha

I just want to be able to keep up with the newer vehicles out there haha

Originally Posted by MyGuti (Post 16397467)

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16397540)
CTS-V Wagon with 6spd MT is your best friend then... boost from the factory and have enough room for small furniture, luxury interior and yet it haul ass.

Also thought about picking up a Lexus GS350 F-Sport, BMW M3, and even a GT-R, but I really don’t like having a car note and a truck note. I’ll pay off my car this year and I have a few more years left on my truck to pay, then I’ll be looking for another project car.

truonghthe 03-14-2019 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pho The Nguyen (Post 16398021)
Also thought about picking up a Lexus GS350 F-Sport, BMW M3, and even a GT-R, but I really don’t like having a car note and a truck note. I’ll pay off my car this year and I have a few more years left on my truck to pay, then I’ll be looking for another project car.

Nah I am all good, I would rather pay off the house rather getting myself into $700+ car payment. Beside after 5 years most vehicle depreciate like 60% from the original price, meanwhile housing price in Htown is steady going up. Thank god I have no car payments lol.

Pho The Nguyen 03-18-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16398294)
Nah I am all good, I would rather pay off the house rather getting myself into $700+ car payment. Beside after 5 years most vehicle depreciate like 60% from the original price, meanwhile housing price in Htown is steady going up. Thank god I have no car payments lol.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. I want to buy some land outside of the city so I can have a lot big enough to build a garage to expand my car collection.

Pho The Nguyen 03-19-2019 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just lowered it last Friday. Ordered the wrong Ichiba V2 wheel spacers (they were for a Mitsubishi), so I returned them. I ordered them from a different website and they told me my estimated shipping date was 5/6/19, so I canceled that order. Read some horror stories about Ichiba wheel spacers having weak wheel studs so I decided on H&R. Found them on sale on ECS Tuning's website so I ordered them. I'll take more pictures once I install them.
Attachment 98328

Pho The Nguyen 09-09-2019 06:35 PM

Wow, it's been a while. Just a quick update. Purchased a set of JNC 005 19x8.5 ET 30 a few weeks ago. Wrapped in Nitto Motivo 235/35R19. I put 5mm spacers in the front to clear the Brembos and 5mm spacers in the rear to match. The rear fenders are rolled so there's no rubbing.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...b4959402ad.jpg

truonghthe 09-10-2019 12:29 PM

beautiful stance, too bad I don't get to see many clean TL here in Htown.

Pho The Nguyen 09-11-2019 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16478124)
beautiful stance, too bad I don't get to see many clean TL here in Htown.

Thanks. I definitely prefer functionality. Not slamming my car with these Houston roads. I was thinking about getting a camber kit for my TL, but I think I will run into fitment issues.

truonghthe 09-12-2019 12:43 PM

how low did you drop compare to stock height?

Pho The Nguyen 09-13-2019 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16479087)
how low did you drop compare to stock height?

It’s lowered on Tein S Tech springs and they said it’s about a 1.5” drop. The rears have about a finger gap and the fronts have less than that.

truonghthe 09-19-2019 01:06 PM

You will be ok without the camber kit for the TL, your setting will be the lowest end of adjustment tho. I had S Tech before on my accord.

Pho The Nguyen 09-23-2019 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16481914)
You will be ok without the camber kit for the TL, your setting will be the lowest end of adjustment tho. I had S Tech before on my accord.

I just want my tires to wear evenly, or is that too much to ask for? Haha

truonghthe 09-26-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pho The Nguyen (Post 16483277)
I just want my tires to wear evenly, or is that too much to ask for? Haha

make sure your toe is on point, chamber won't cause the tire wear, I had the toe zero out on my Accord and the chamber is like - 2.5 or -2.75 in the rear and yet no abnormal tire wear.

If you need a place that does good Alignment, PM me for the point of contact.

Yumcha 09-26-2019 04:43 PM

Looks good!

Pho The Nguyen 10-01-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16485130)
make sure your toe is on point, chamber won't cause the tire wear, I had the toe zero out on my Accord and the chamber is like - 2.5 or -2.75 in the rear and yet no abnormal tire wear.

If you need a place that does good Alignment, PM me for the point of contact.

I had my alignment done shortly after I lowered my car. They told me they couldn’t fix the camber, only the toe and I told them it was fine. I read the article written by HeelToe Automotive so that put me at ease. My car has a good balance of stance and functionality for DD so I don’t want to mess with that too much. I kind of miss having a 2 door, so I might pick up an Integra down the road.

Pho The Nguyen 10-01-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16485221)
Looks good!

Thanks, homie!

truonghthe 10-02-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pho The Nguyen (Post 16487088)
I had my alignment done shortly after I lowered my car. They told me they couldn’t fix the camber, only the toe and I told them it was fine. I read the article written by HeelToe Automotive so that put me at ease. My car has a good balance of stance and functionality for DD so I don’t want to mess with that too much. I kind of miss having a 2 door, so I might pick up an Integra down the road.

looks like you starting to be a car hoarder like me lmao.

Pho The Nguyen 10-03-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16487565)
looks like you starting to be a car hoarder like me lmao.

I’m getting there haha! I’m probably going to end up building a big garage just so I can have more room to collect cars.

CLtotheTL32 10-09-2019 01:52 PM

Those wheels look phenomenal on the TL :thumbsup: Bad ass Tundra too!

Pho The Nguyen 11-03-2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32 (Post 16490844)

Thanks, homie! I had some good motivation from all the fellow TL owners on here including yours!

CLtotheTL32 11-05-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Pho The Nguyen (Post 16500395)
Thanks, homie! I had some good motivation from all the fellow TL owners on here including yours!

:blush:

Pho The Nguyen 11-12-2019 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32 (Post 16490844)

Also, I think it’s funny that I’m watching your YouTube videos on your ATLP exhaust. Contemplating on getting it, but I don’t know if I need the j-pipe or not. Any thoughts?

Pho The Nguyen 01-26-2020 11:42 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...bbbeb12be7.jpg
No real updates. Waiting for my ATLP exhaust to come in. Should have called ahead to make sure they have it in stock before ordering.

Yumcha 01-27-2020 03:39 PM

Nice pic and looks great!