New Wheels, Same Old Crappy Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
New Wheels, Same Old Crappy Pics

So, I did a thing... a naughty thing my bank account and responsible other self currently doesn't like me for... But I have a shit eating grin ear to ear nonetheless.

Advan RS-Ds in 18x10 +25. Weight is (a not so svelte) 20.8 lbs. Granted this is still lighter than my XXR 530s which sit at 21.5 lbs, while being more than an inch wider.

Bought them used off a Kijiji ad (that's Canada's infinitely superior version of craigslist for you 'Muricans) for 1000$ Canadian, which considering 1 of these wheels RETAILS for 800$ USD... is downright laughable. I basically paid the cost of 1 wheel for all 4 wheels.

Now they ARE used, and are going to need some TLC... probably a fresh powdercoat and definitely a polish of the lips which are oxidized. Nonetheless I am suuuuuuuuper stoked - They have both concave and lip to them which makes me very happy. Oh and they have 2.5 inch lips if anyone is curious about lip size.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:03 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Congrats, man...
you could NOT turn down a deal like that. Saw a set of those on a GT-R near me, turns out the guy that PC'd mine did his too...fantastic wheel!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:11 PM
Confusing Name Guy

I am ridiculously excited, albeit this is somewhat tempered by knowing that 1) I won't be able to put them on for months to come as I intend them to be my summer setup (and my 530s will be a respectable winter set) and 2) I do still need to spend at least a good 400$ on powder-coating them.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:17 PM

YEAH, but anticipation is half the fun!

What color you thinkin?
Old 11-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Confusing Name Guy

I've been really really into the combination of black and copper, so I was thinking either black barrels and copper faces or the reverse.

I don't really want to do black faces though because I ended up (re)painting my calipers gloss black after the copper (the one I hounded you for lol, not that my experience is your fault but more my inexperience with the paint) actually ended up proving a little less resistant to marring / chipping than I was comfortable with, even with several coats of VHT caliper clear over it and VHT caliper primer as base.

Crappy quick photo of end product:

EDIT: I should add the car is currently FILTHY from the weather we're having *shudders*

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 11-21-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:53 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Perfect color combo. I think this might actually be what I'll go with...
Old 11-22-2015, 10:42 AM

Don't go too dark or it looks like you're on fuckin doughnuts from a distance...do black chrome on the face and copper lips...that does look great.

Hmmm...resistant to chipping? Why would it chip so quickly? I mean, if you hit it with something metal, mine will chip too...but I try not to
Old 11-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Where did us buy the Acura brake caliper?

Your new rims are sweeeeet what tire size you gonna put on?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by N1h1l1ty

Perfect color combo. I think this might actually be what I'll go with...
if you can get this exact same finish on your Advans, holy hell

hows the ride looking?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sweet-they look great.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
if you can get this exact same finish on your Advans, holy hell

hows the ride looking?
Its looking great Thanh, I`m going to have to come back up (or you can come down here this time ) for another shoot come the spring. I actually plan on trading or selling my Teins for BCs so I can go lower all around for the spring time too.

Other than that, she`s looking good - Put in 6k Philips D2S and swapped my fog bulbs to iJDMToy ones to match my DRLs and I think I`m done with the lighting - Only serious mods planned at this point is HFPC at some point (lower on the priority list now that I bought an AEM V2), and a CSL spoiler from Heeltoe which might be my Christmas present to myself. I have a little paint damage on the very edge of my passenger side rear fenders so that will have to be taken care of before anything else I think

Originally Posted by open contact
Where did us buy the Acura brake caliper?

Your new rims are sweeeeet what tire size you gonna put on?
Hey man, I purchased the RL calipers off of the Black Market here on Acurazine along with the caliper adapter brackets. The rotors are Stoptech, regular Acura TL ones for the rear and Stoptech 350Z Brembo rotors off the 06+ 350z on the front. Painted the calipers myself, just VHT gloss black caliper paint and VHT caliper clear coat.

As for tires for the new wheels, I`ll be swapping my 225 40 18s that I have on my XXRs right now on to those wheels, and running my winter tires (same size) on the XXRs - I plan on going a fair bit lower during the Spring so I`m hoping that the 225 stretched on a 18x10 will suffice for my plans - I don`t really want to go buy 215s for the front if I can help it.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Don't go too dark or it looks like you're on fuckin doughnuts from a distance...do black chrome on the face and copper lips...that does look great.

Hmmm...resistant to chipping? Why would it chip so quickly? I mean, if you hit it with something metal, mine will chip too...but I try not to
I definitely agree, especially now with black calipers it means I will definitely be doing a lighter color for the faces - I really really like the look of those CR2Ps, and was thinking of actually ordering those exact wheels off RavSpec, so when I picked up the Advans I instantly thought back to them.

As for the chipping, well, it seemed to just not like mixing with the VHT black as a base, or with the clear for that matter. I don`t know why - Maybe I just got a bad can, but even after curing it in the oven it wasn't really where I wanted it, so I just went with the VHT Gloss Black and clear over that, and it turned out a lot better the second time.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-23-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM

Good work...I learn something every time. Like follow the drying time and when to add a top coat instruction...ended up with a wrinkly finish this last go around.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
So uh.... how much for the XXR?

Looking good man, glad to know you're not dead! Haven't heard from you in a while.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Nice pick up! What tires are you putting on the wheels?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Good work...I learn something every time. Like follow the drying time and when to add a top coat instruction...ended up with a wrinkly finish this last go around.
Yup, I tried a touch up with the copper before and had the same issue happen as well. Its funny but I think my initial result might have just been because of my impatience to get the calipers done more than anything

Originally Posted by polobunny
So uh.... how much for the XXR?

Looking good man, glad to know you're not dead! Haven't heard from you in a while.
5 dolla and a handy

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Nice pick up! What tires are you putting on the wheels?
Swapping my Conti DWs from my 530s onto them, so 225/40/18s. Its actually not even that bad of a stretch considering I've seen plenty of 225 wide tires on 18x9.75 XXRs on here. My main challenge is going to be getting the front to fit - Realistically I need to take off my Skunk2 arms, do the Hellaflush mod to them and put them back on so that I can fit these wheels. Rear should be easy though, just dial in some more camber and away I go.

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 11-23-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Registered Bunny

Yup, I tried a touch up with the copper before and had the same issue happen as well. Its funny but I think my initial result might have just been because of my impatience to get the calipers done more than anything

5 dolla and a handy

Swapping my Conti DWs from my 530s onto them, so 225/40/18s. Its actually not even that bad of a stretch considering I've seen plenty of 225 wide tires on 18x9.75 XXRs on here. My main challenge is going to be getting the front to fit - Realistically I need to take off my Skunk2 arms, do the Hellaflush mod to them and put them back on so that I can fit these wheels. Rear should be easy though, just dial in some more camber and away I go.
Make it 2 handy and a toonie.

I got 225s on 8.5 in the back IIRC (or it is 9?)... anymore than that I'd feel like I'm riding on rubber bands.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Make it 2 handy and a toonie.

I got 225s on 8.5 in the back IIRC (or it is 9?)... anymore than that I'd feel like I'm riding on rubber bands.
I`m pleasantly surprised at how much grip the Conti DW has, even in less than ideal conditions (read: now). I can still launch the car with very minimal spinning. I`m torn because while I`m not sure if I really want to put on my winter rubber already, I want to do it so I can finish sanding down the lips and dip the wheels already to get rid of the unseemly rash on two of them.

Oh and just my luck, I have another screw in one of the fronts (which I rotated to the back) - Its holding air with no issues for at least a week now, so I`ll probably patch it just before taking the tires off for the winter. I also looked at the tires the other day, and boy, I need to stop going WOT - my fronts are worn down to probably 40% tread
Old 11-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Registered Bunny

I`m pleasantly surprised at how much grip the Conti DW has, even in less than ideal conditions (read: now). I can still launch the car with very minimal spinning. I`m torn because while I`m not sure if I really want to put on my winter rubber already, I want to do it so I can finish sanding down the lips and dip the wheels already to get rid of the unseemly rash on two of them.

Oh and just my luck, I have another screw in one of the fronts (which I rotated to the back) - Its holding air with no issues for at least a week now, so I`ll probably patch it just before taking the tires off for the winter. I also looked at the tires the other day, and boy, I need to stop going WOT - my fronts are worn down to probably 40% tread
Dude it's late Nov, put your winters on already! If you end up hitting anything because of improper traction you'll hate yourself a billion times more.

Also don't the contis have +500 UTQG? Sounds like they should last longer, unless you spin the tires often/go hard in the curves since IIRC you don't put many KM on your car. The cheap Nexens I have on are 280 UTQG.... they'll be done for sure next year
Old 11-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
215s on a 10inch Man you must always peel from a red or a stop! I drive my shit pretty hard and my goodyear eagles (2 seasons) are like still 80-90% tread lol. I also put maybe 5000-7000kms a year on my car
Old 11-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I assume you didn't go out of town this weekend It was kind of messy outside of the city.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Dude it's late Nov, put your winters on already! If you end up hitting anything because of improper traction you'll hate yourself a billion times more.

Also don't the contis have +500 UTQG? Sounds like they should last longer, unless you spin the tires often/go hard in the curves since IIRC you don't put many KM on your car. The cheap Nexens I have on are 280 UTQG.... they'll be done for sure next year
Yeah, that is true. I've been more or less taking it easy the last week, but we`re going to get 10+ degrees this week which is why I`m hesitant. Still, probably going to make an appointment for tomorrow morning and get the damn wheels dipped later tomorrow.

As for the wear, I would say its likely because I've REALLY abused the tires this past summer and fall. My rears (now my fronts) do have a looooot of tread left however, so I'm going to say its mostly from accelerating hard and cornering hard. Either way I'm really happy with the Contis - Ill probably drive them bald this spring and decide on a new size after seeing how the 225s do on the 18x10. Also really depends on how much camber I have to dial in all around to fit the Advans after going as low as I'm planning

Originally Posted by Aman
I assume you didn't go out of town this weekend It was kind of messy outside of the city.
Nope, stayed put and actually drove quite a bit around the city during the weekend. The rain on Saturday night was a bitch visibility wise but the DWs handled it really admirably, even given it being pretty cold. I live a little North (in Woodbridge) and even there it wasn't really all that cold

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-23-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
Old 11-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
How the hell do you drive? Wheels spinning from every stop?

My RE-11s have like a 140 or 180 UTQG, and I can easily get three summers out of them, driving like an asshole

Those UTQG ratings are bogus.

Edit: I guess the tire width also plays a big role. I always get the meatiest tires I can for the wheel I have. Weight is spread out over a larger surface area, so less wear?

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-23-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Confusing Name Guy

My RE-11s have like a 140 or 180 UTQG, and I can easily get three summers out of them, driving like an asshole

Iunno, Im equally surprised. I mean I do my fair share of aggressive driving but I don't think it should account for that much wear, and my alignment was in spec last I checked - who knows

Ill worry about that when spring hits though I guess - Winter rubber is going on tomorrow or wednesday, then getting her aligned and ready for winter mode - I just raised the front a little after noticing it was uneven and figured I would make my life easier for the winter.

Like I said, 2 of the tires are just fine with plenty of tread left, so even if I have to pick up two new ones come summer, I won't be too pissed about it

I've got a lot of plans for her cosmetically, just need to take my time and get through winter. I also want to get my bumper resprayed sometime this spring - there is serious paint wave on one area that drives me nuts every time I look at it. Beyond that, CSL spoiler, paint match the inner grey area of the front grille, possibly open up the headlights and paint match the housing as well, front slitter and a rear diffuser

Oh and once HIC gets their shit together, I want to get their roof spoiler and paint match that as well.

I've been considering doing a Type S rear lip as I've never seen an ABP/RBP with quads before and it would be cool to be the first, but the cost/enjoyment ratio is just not high enough for me at the moment. Maybe a year down the line

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-23-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
I just raised the front a little after noticing it was uneven and figured I would make my life easier for the winter.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Dude, you've GOTTA learn to use the Multi-Quote button.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:24 PM

it's really not hard!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Sowwy
Old 11-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered Bunny

Edit: I guess the tire width also plays a big role. I always get the meatiest tires I can for the wheel I have. Weight is spread out over a larger surface area, so less wear?
Probably wanted to quote n1h1h1h1l1t1ty but the RE-11 have a 200 UTQG. My tires will have lasted me "2 summers" but they already had a summer in from the previous owner, so 3 summers total.

As for UTQG being bogus... it's kind of the opposite because the tests are very clear and stringent, but the problem is that the treadwear test is short and data needs to be extrapolated by the manufacturer, meaning it can lead to strange results real world results. Ideally better to compare different tires between a brand than brands together.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 PM

Sumitomo HTR Z iii
Old 11-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered Bunny

Sumitomo HTR Z iii
I've heard good stuff about the Sumi HTR Z 2 and 3 and they don't break the bank, maybe my next tires.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:04 PM

not the 2...
3 were recommended to me by Dennis TLdude...for the S2000...I put them on and man, transformed the car...made it hard to get it sideways easily now. Ride smooth, absorb bumps nicely, aren't loud.

I'll be buying a set for my TL very soon...the other Advan need them.
The following users liked this post:
polobunny (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Interesting tidbit on the Sumis - looks like theyre quite cheap too... at least cheaper than the Conti DW.

Also, looking at all of the pics of people running the 18x9.75 +20 XXR 530s slammed makes me think Ill actually be able to get away with having the Advans fit no problem with no excessive camber (maybe -3 all around) - The 9.75s +20 are actually even more aggressive than the Advans spacing wise, and ebelp and a number of others ran theirs with minimal issues. 225s are going to be a must though, and Ill probably have to finally shave the dreaded front bumper tab to get it as flush as possible, but I probably wont have to pull the rears which I want to avoid as much as possible.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 PM

you'll a BILLION percent need to shave that down...that's the sharpest and worst spot where the tire gets damage.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Confusing Name Guy

you'll a BILLION percent need to shave that down...that's the sharpest and worst spot where the tire gets damage.
Its the one spot where Ive ever rubbed up until now - Im wondering if Ill need to also shave down the edge on the bumper plastic

Either way, not something for me to worry about now since I raised the car up in the front for the winter by about half an inch (although Im cringing every time I look at my front now - needs moar lowww )
Old 11-23-2015, 08:22 PM

don't bother...the tire will do all the grinding away on the plastic you need...
Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Confusing Name Guy

don't bother...the tire will do all the grinding away on the plastic you need...
*cringes internally*

I really can`t wait to get that CSL spoiler. I`ve been looking at my rear and thinking it needs that something something to finish off the look. I could live without the roof spoiler but the trunk definitely needs its lines accentuated a little. I was thinking of getting a carbon one and getting it painted so that the weave is a little exposed under the Honda paint
Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 PM

if I were doing it all over again, I'd go CF...mainly because the FG is hard to work with...at least the legit K1B one I have was...still looks wavy on top
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Confusing Name Guy

if I were doing it all over again, I'd go CF...mainly because the FG is hard to work with...at least the legit K1B one I have was...still looks wavy on top
I remember reading you saying that recently - I mean, I`d be more than willing to leave the carbon exposed to start with and paint it when I was so inclined to do so The cost difference between the FG and carbon is probably how much it would cost for me to get the thing painted anyway
Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Its looking great Thanh, I`m going to have to come back up (or you can come down here this time ) for another shoot come the spring. I actually plan on trading or selling my Teins for BCs so I can go lower all around for the spring time too.

Other than that, she`s looking good - Put in 6k Philips D2S and swapped my fog bulbs to iJDMToy ones to match my DRLs and I think I`m done with the lighting - Only serious mods planned at this point is HFPC at some point (lower on the priority list now that I bought an AEM V2), and a CSL spoiler from Heeltoe which might be my Christmas present to myself. I have a little paint damage on the very edge of my passenger side rear fenders so that will have to be taken care of before anything else I think
The CSL spoiler in carbon fiber on your car would be so

Good to see you pop up around here again!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:24 AM

that too...you could slap it on NOW...you won't miss the extra $120 later.

Quick Reply: New Wheels, Same Old Crappy Pics