My 3G '05 TL 5AT in ABP - Intro and Build Plan

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
My 3G '05 TL 5AT in ABP - Intro and Build Plan

Hey guys,

I've been lurking / asking a few questions on here for the last month but I figured I'd properly introduce myself / my new baby.

I began shopping around for my first vehicle (I'm 21) in late October / early November, and was going through a few options (including a new Fiesta ST that I still somewhat regret not purchasing).

Eventually I settled on the TL as I've been a big fan of the 3G ever since I first got into cars, and I was looking for a reliable (read: Honda) vehicle that would tide me over for at least my undergrad, without dooming me to 8 years of financial servitude to a stealership (Fiesta ST went out the window there).

So here I am with a very good condition '05 3G TL AT base (I really really wish I could find an MT in Ontario with less than 100 000 km, but that is as much a Unicorn here in Canada as it is state-side) in Abyss Blue Pearl, with 92 thousand kilos on it (thats 57166.1 miles), and I'm in love, and my parents are kind of jealous (they drive a 2012 Civic lol).

And unsurprisingly being somewhat of a car person, after buying a good set of winter tires for the Toronto winter insanity, the mod bug hit me hard. So without further adieu, my proposed mod list in the near future:

- Tein Street Advance Coilovers with Type S Top Hate Kit - Already purchased

- RV6 JPipe - Already purchased

- Powdercoating the stock 17s black

- AEM V2 Intake

- XLR8 Exhaust (I'm thinking single tip / duals as I want to get an A-Spec kit, and don't want to paint, but its up in the air, quad exhaust is mighty enticing)

- A Spec Kit - I've been in touch with Bruce from EndlessRPM and he's got the Front and Back lips in ABP, but no ABP sideskirts, so I'm debating just getting the Type S rear lip and plasti-dipping the lip kit itself.

- XLR8 Engine Mounts

- Rear sway bar, not sure which one yet, open to suggestions

- Further handling improvements? Not sure what, open to suggestions

- Possibly a BBK, thinking fastbrakes package, or the XLR8 Stoptech brake package with new calipers (old ones are rusted to hell and making me nervous)

- 3.2 to 3.7 conversion

Thoughts, suggestions and insights all welcome! And a new set of wheels will also happen in the spring time.

Also I had the crazy idea of plasti-dipping or wrapping the lip kit only, I was thinking something pearlescent / neo-chrome, and also dipping the grill to match / make it flow.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:21 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
That's a lot of mods- how about maintenance- all up to date? I'd get the usual fluid changes done just to be complete (oil, ATF, tranny switches, and brake fluid). Make sure your brakes are good.
At least you don't need plugs or a timing belt for quite a while.
Since you're in Toronto, do you need snow tires for the winter? There's some cost right there.
Most here will tell you that CAIs don't really help much (I don't have one either).

Mods are always nice (and TLs are really nice cars to mod)- what's your financial limit? Mods can get expensive quickly.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Regular maintenance is all done (It was owned by a surgeon's wife who took it regularly to and fro Hamilton Acura) but I do want to do the tranny switches as a precaution (I've done some homework already) and will probably be doing the transmission fluid when I do my next oil change (which will be shortly given how the TLs love to eat oil up).

Brakes are in good shape and work fairly well, but I'm thinking that's going to be a definite upgrade for this spring / summer. Just need to make up my mind whether I want to spring for the BBK or just stay with stock size and get the XLR8 stoptech package and new calipers.

Winter tires were actually my very first purchase before anything else (Thank you Yokohama), and the irony is on the day I installed them, we got a snow storm. So that was a fun experience.

And budget - well, its only really limited by my paycheque. I'm living with my folks during my undergrad and working full time, and my car happens to be my new toy / hobby / center of attention (as well as my main expense given our insurance rates), so unless something comes up that catches my attention, the sky is the limit in terms of how far I can take the mods. I mean ... I'd love to eventually supercharge it down the line, as I plan to keep and drive the thing until the wheels fall off.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Congrats on your ride-welcome officially to AcuraZine.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
quads won't fit with on the base with the a spec kit. I just bought xlr8 j pipe with full exhaust and had to get single tip. still a sick system tho! I wouldn't change the engine mounts unless they need to be changed. Congrats on your purchase I recently just bought a 2006 Royal Blue TL and have been hit by the mod bug as well. Check my thread out
Old 01-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Yeah I'm on top of the whole quads not fitting A-spec, what I meant was I was considering getting a Type S lip but didn't really want to do paint since they never made the Type S in ABP. I'm still heavily considering it because I wanted to do some outlandish plasti-dip on the lip kit and that would allow me to mix and match colors without a care.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
wait wait

you're planning on plasti-dipping the lip kit only?
Old 01-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Yup

I know it seems bizarre but I wanted to plasti dip JUST the lip kit in a pearl and see how that looks as an accent. My uncle had an Audi Q7 with a wrapped lip kit in neo chrome / pearl and it looked fantastic, so I want to see how it would work as an accent on the TL (keep in mind I would also plasti-dip the grill to make it flow better)

Also guitarplayer, I remember you had Inspire fogs, right? Do you have any tips on doing the install for them? Or better yet, would you be up for doing an install? I have no idea how much it would cost but I'm sure t'would be reasonable haha

EDIT: Totally wrong on the Inspire fogs, that was someone else. Still I'd love to get someone to do / help me with the fog install haha
Old 01-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Race Director

I did fog installs for people in the GTA, now I'm in Ottawa.

I can offer tips, inspire fogs are much easier to install than accord fogs.

Congrats on the new ride.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 01-03-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
I have a automatic base model and the only word of advice I can give you is don't bother wasting your money on performance modifications.

I have rv6 v3 Pre-cat deletes, v3 j-pipe, atlp quad exhaust, injen cai, hondata flashpro tuned.

That's almost $3,000 in performance mods and my car is still slower than a stock 3G base model 6spd, stock auto G35, stock Is350....

I don't see the need for dropping thousands of dollars for a BBK on a slow automatic non-track car. I could understand if it was a "all show" car but I doubt that's why you want it.

I would just focus on looks because having a automatic transmission is already a bottle neck when it comes to performance. The automatic transmission gearing sucks ass
Old 01-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Confusing Name Guy

^ The performance mods are in anticipation of me eventually going FI. And in all honesty, I'm perfectly happy dropping money on the performance mods for the sake of experimentation, at least as far as exhaust / intake / manifold goes. I'm sure you're right but its still going to happen with my personality.

So far I've mostly crossed off the big ones on my list as far as finances go anyway (have suspension, intake, exhaust and j pipe covered) and just want to spring for the A-spec kit ASAP, after which I'll start thinking about tackling the brake issue.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 PM
06 ASM TL

Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by N1h1l1ty
^ The performance mods are in anticipation of me eventually going FI. And in all honesty, I'm perfectly happy dropping money on the performance mods for the sake of experimentation, at least as far as exhaust / intake / manifold goes. I'm sure you're right but its still going to happen with my personality.

So far I've mostly crossed off the big ones on my list as far as finances go anyway (have suspension, intake, exhaust and j pipe covered) and just want to spring for the A-spec kit ASAP, after which I'll start thinking about tackling the brake issue.
Welcome and props to ya on ride & mod list. Seen asked bout RSB, a lot use Progress.. Myself included, helped handling alot I think.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts
congrats on the purchase. here are my two cents:

get the type s kit and paint it to match. the quad tips on the xlr8 exhaust look straight bad ass and i get a ton of compliments on it. not sure the route you're going with the plasti dipping...but to each his own haha

performance - since you already have the jpipe which is a great performance addition, get the high flow precats from RV6. they give a great performance increase without the rasp of PCDs

more performance - PnP the runners, or even more PnP runners/IM/throttle body to make it breathe

handling - get the progress rear sway bar, or since you are at AT base, i think the type s sway bar would be a good addition without adding too much stress to your car (there's threads on which sway bar should be added to which model TL)

handling but expensive - get the TEIN EDFC Active kit (not the regular EDFC). i'm currently drafting a thread on the DIY Install and Review but haven't posted it yet. it's GREAT! it changes your coilover dampening based on your speed and acceleration. i had one of the first kits but now they come with side to side dynamic ability rather than just front and rear which is what i have. in summary, i put it on stiff for my "spirited" driving and then bump it softer for my wife when she gets in but it still adapts to accelerating, braking, etc.

lastly, change out interior/license plate/reverse/trunk lights to LEDs, gives it a very classy and updated look. i'd also suggest going to LED DRLs and even LED switchbacks (look up Triton vleds)

let me know if there's any questions, i've done a lot to my car in the past 6.5 years haha (and spent much more money than i thought i would...)

good luck!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Ugh I really don't want to spend the bajillion dollars it would take to paint the lip kit, but that Type S lip is indeed very very sexy

Going to have to seriously look at my budget and see if I can maybe put off some mods for the sake of doing the lip right the first time.

EDIT: Also thought I'd throw out a question I've been mulling over if anyone knows an immediate answer - I want to do Ichiba V2 spacers, 15 mm front, 25 mm back with the stock 5 spoke wheels as my "winter" setup when I install the coils, and I'm thinking I'm going to need a fender roll if I want it flush with 235 tires, right? Just want to plan for that cost as well.

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 01-03-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Race Director

Yes, you'll need to roll your rear fenders also.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Confusing Name Guy

guitarplayer, I was also going to ask (since I figure you've probably had some experience by now) if there are any shops in the GTA you'd recommend. I already know about Altech for Honda/Acura in Toronto, but I thought I'd get some more alternatives I could check out. Also a good bodyshop recommendation if you've got one in the GTA.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Race Director

I don't know of any in Toronto, sorry.

I lived 2 hours north of Toronto, Blue Mountain area.
I have heard of Altech though, and they're the go to place of many forums, especially for alignments.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Confusing Name Guy

That's what I like to hear, I'm probably going to get them to do my coil install next week if they have an opening. I'm very excited to get it lowered and get some before and after pics. Also thinking the spacers will happen by the end of this month, along with a rear camber kit.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice list there! If you are looking for better handling we strongly suggest our HTSpec Bracing package as well as the FLP Compliance Bearings.

Road feedback is greatly improved and handling is a lot more confidence-inspiring.

Don't forget Heeltoe is here to answer any and all of your technical questions.

Marcus
949-295-1668
Old 01-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Don't do the big brake kit. BBK don't make you stop any faster. All they do is dissipate heat better. On a daily driven car, you will NEVER experience brake fade, unless you're driving like you're on a track- and I don't mean spirited driving, but all out, balls to the wall, gonna lose your licence kind of driving.

You can always go with the ATLP quad tip exhaust and throw the Type S rear lip on. That will work. That's what I have.

Again, don't waste your money on modding this thing to go faster. You have a glass transmission in your '05. If you're gonna go FI, you'll need to replace that first because you'll be doing it eventually. You'd be better off starting with a TL with a 6MT.

I know you probably won't listen to advice given, and that's fine. I was 21 once too. If you want a fast car, get something that doesn't weigh 3700lbs with FWD and no LSD, amongst other things.

Edit: with the amount of money you a) paid for the car, and b) are wanting to invest into it, you could easily get a better vehicle to start off with. Just sayin'.

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-05-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Confusing Name Guy

I just picked up the top hat kit with Type S bushings from you Marcus, and I'm sure I'll be doing plenty more business with you guys shortly given the length of the list

I was going to wash her and post up some "before" pics today but its a sobering -10 celcius (14 degrees Fahr) in Toronto today, so I think I'll wait until I'm not freezing my ass off.

@TacoBello, I'm already well versed on the nightmare that is the 5AT on this generation of Honda. I'm not itching to throw money away thinking its going to be something its not - but I AM curious as to see what I can do with it myself and how far I can get it. Call it curiosity I guess? Either way, I'll tackle the transmission when I get there, and with the maintenance schedule I intend to follow, I'm hoping I'll at least get to the purchase stage for the supercharger before I start worrying about an overhaul. I intend to take the car to the track at some point as I have the Cayuga track about an hour away from me, and the BBK is a likelihood at some point. I'm just not sure when. I do know that I want to do a brake overhaul regardless, and at that point, with new pads, rotors, calipers, I might as well at least consider a BBK, if it will fulfill my later goal.

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 01-05-2015 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrHeeltoe (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck with the plans for your car they sound pretty nice except for the plastic dip lip

There are a few people on this site that don't think it's a waste of time to do performance mods, I agree the motors do make good power N/A and are awesome paired with a lightweight civic or integra, a local runs 9s and it was barely his 1st season out racing with his car J-SWAPPED. His motor is fully built just FYI. I heard he's making around 480 hp N/A

The potential of these motors has barely began to shine. All I can say about all motor power is it cost a lot of cash.

if you do performance mods just install a turbo, that will really get you the best bang for your dollar.

I
Old 01-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Don't do the big brake kit. BBK don't make you stop any faster. All they do is dissipate heat better. On a daily driven car, you will NEVER experience brake fade, unless you're driving like you're on a track- and I don't mean spirited driving, but all out, balls to the wall, gonna lose your licence kind of driving.

You can always go with the ATLP quad tip exhaust and throw the Type S rear lip on. That will work. That's what I have.

Again, don't waste your money on modding this thing to go faster. You have a glass transmission in your '05. If you're gonna go FI, you'll need to replace that first because you'll be doing it eventually. You'd be better off starting with a TL with a 6MT.

I know you probably won't listen to advice given, and that's fine. I was 21 once too. If you want a fast car, get something that doesn't weigh 3700lbs with FWD and no LSD, amongst other things.

Edit: with the amount of money you a) paid for the car, and b) are wanting to invest into it, you could easily get a better vehicle to start off with. Just sayin'.
Hi there, I actually disagree with a point on the braking. I've overheated my brakes a number of times on the street. One solution is to get better pads but I would need to get semi-track pads for my stock brakes in order to keep them from shaking to hell whenever I get frisky feeling. A larger kit allow you to drive the car really aggressively but with a more normal pad.

Yeah for the street car and many street drivers a BBK is an aesthetic upgrade. But not everyone is the same in that respect.

Also, I don't know that I agree with the transmissions in these cars grenading. That mostly ended in 2002 as far as I know. Is transmission a car a point of concern? Definitely. We recommend changing fluid every 15-20K. But we have more than a few customers with boosted TLs running for many years without issues with their auto trans at all. The point isn't that you won't have a transmission issue, but to say you will is not true either.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Also, I don't know that I agree with the transmissions in these cars grenading. That mostly ended in 2002 as far as I know. Is transmission a car a point of concern? Definitely. We recommend changing fluid every 15-20K. But we have more than a few customers with boosted TLs running for many years without issues with their auto trans at all. The point isn't that you won't have a transmission issue, but to say you will is not true either.
Interesting.

Do you have a link of an auto TL that's turboed?

The Type-S auto can handle FI, but not the base model, which the OP owns.
Putting a turbo on a 04-06 auto is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 01-06-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard that the 6 speed tl trans is very strong like a b-series transmission. We all know those can hold up to 700.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Interesting.

Do you have a link of an auto TL that's turboed?

The Type-S auto can handle FI, but not the base model, which the OP owns.
Putting a turbo on a 04-06 auto is a tragedy waiting to happen.
Since I worked at the dealer in the late 90's and early 00's, when someone says "5-speed v6 auto trans problems" I have a different view. These transmissions are not "prone to blowing up."

But still, I am not saying the transmissions are invincible, but I am saying they are not made of glass either. A big-boost build motor is not what the OP is alluding to. OP says, "I'd love to eventually supercharge it down the line."

Point is, putting a CT supercharger, tuned with a high boost pulley, which is what the vast majority of people boosting their TLs are doing, does not grenade automatic transmissions without help from the driver.
The following users liked this post:
DrOwNiNgPoOl84 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Race Director

You forgot to add the part where people with a TL that are supercharged on a automatic transmission are Type-S. Which brings the point where it's a bad idea for OP to do it because he has a 2005 auto.

I'm sure I can dig up 100 posts about how bad of an idea it is to supercharge an auto 04-06 TL.
It can probably hold the power, but being the nature of the 04-06 transmission, it's not a good idea.

Some people have done it, but doesn't make it a good idea

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 01-06-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
You forgot to add the part where people with a TL that are supercharged on a automatic transmission are Type-S. Which brings the point where it's a bad idea for OP to do it because he has a 2005 auto.

I'm sure I can dig up 100 posts about how bad of an idea it is to supercharge an auto 04-06 TL.
It can probably hold the power, but being the nature of the 04-06 transmission, it's not a good idea.

Some people have done it, but doesn't make it a good idea
No I didn't forget. I don't believe the trim level is all that relevant. The Base 07-08 and Type-S have essentially the same transmission, same clutches, etc. The 07 is a new transmission over the 04-06, but the 04-06 is not as bad as is being said.

For more information, I called CT. Their comment to me on the integrity of the 2004-06 was that it is not problematic. In fact they did track testing at Thunderhill Raceway on a 5AT TL back in 2005 where they monitored trans temps and performance and found that these transmissions were found to be vastly more stable and consistent than the problematic 2g TL transmissions. The 2g TL transmissions, if we were talking about those, would be a completely different conversation where I would definitely agree that owning that car, not just boosting it, would be taking a risk and you should sock away some cash for a new transmission now...just in case.

CT has sold more than 100 of these superchargers to 2004-08 TL customers and the vast majority of them are on early model cars, as only recently have there been viable tuning options for the 2007-08 models. Their initial concern was that the transmission could not handle the extra torque and proved to themselves these concerns were unfounded, such to the point that they no longer recommended the use of a transmission cooler and raised the standard boost level.

I've also called one of our customers who we installed a supercharger and boost cooler on back in 2009...last time I spoke with him earlier in the year him and he didn't mention any problems, but we didn't ask either. We'll report back what he says (I had to leave a message).

Fact is, the 3rd gen TL transmission is no more problem-prone to most other Honda transmissions which are generally known to be reliable and live long lives, and take extra abuse given to them. Yes, some people I am sure have had problems. Some of them have been boosted and some have not, I am positive of that. But the statements about the early 3rd gen transmissions being failure-prone in the face of boost, we disagree with.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Subscribed because new ABP owners have to stick together.
Let me know how the Tein coilovers work out, I'm sitting on a set Of STech springs that I'm going install in the next coming weeks. (Got a great deal from another member.) I'm still entertaining the idea of coilovers though. This mod bug is a slippery slope.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Yay, Resurrection

Will have progress pics soon, just waiting on some better weather to get going.

As it stands I'm trying to get everything on at once for quite the transformation. Got my A-Spec kit the other day and getting the side skirts painted as they were no longer available in ABP.

Performance oriented mods going on at the end of March will be:

EndlessRPM Single Exhaust (hooray for Bruce)
RV6 Jpipe
RV6 HFPC
AEM V2 Intake
Tein SAs
Progress RSB
Possibly a PnP 3.7 TB/Mani
Possibly PnP Intake Runners

Cosmetic stuff going on at the end of March:

A-Spec
Wheels (not sure on what yet)
Old 03-02-2015, 06:57 PM
06 ASM TL

Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Yay, Resurrection

Will have progress pics soon, just waiting on some better weather to get going.

As it stands I'm trying to get everything on at once for quite the transformation. Got my A-Spec kit the other day and getting the side skirts painted as they were no longer available in ABP.

Performance oriented mods going on at the end of March will be:

EndlessRPM Single Exhaust (hooray for Bruce)
RV6 Jpipe
RV6 HFPC
AEM V2 Intake
Tein SAs
Progress RSB
Possibly a PnP 3.7 TB/Mani
Possibly PnP Intake Runners

Cosmetic stuff going on at the end of March:

A-Spec
Wheels (not sure on what yet)
rather nice list there sir
Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Team Owner

Good list, N1.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I was totally unaware of the catback from Bruce. Wish I had the cash to spend on it right now. Good thing he's local to me for when the tax returns come in. =]
Old 03-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Confusing Name Guy

OK, apparently I just can't stop myself, but Progress RSB, Type S FSB and PCI Compliance bearings just got ordered

Going to install all of those guys along with the suspension, wheels and lip kit and hopefully by then the Endless Catback is out and on its way to me. Oh and Jeremy is going to kill me when he sees what I ordered for the wheels
Old 03-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Jeff

front sway bar is quite the job! drop the subframe a little bit, hopefully everything comes apart good I'm changing mine out here in april/may as well aand also went with progress RSB
Old 03-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Probably going to get a local shop to do the FSB since I got a good deal on an install for everything. Worst comes to worst the RSB will go on first and then I'll think about tackling the front
Old 03-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Jeff

get all new OEM end links for the front and rear while your at it tearing it apart, they don't cost much..

you do know you have to bore out the control arms on the front in order to fit that front bar right and also need TL-S end links. thats the only reason i didn't go for the TL-S bar, its just ALOT of work
Old 03-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Team Owner

OK, apparently I just can't stop myself, but Progress RSB, Type S FSB and PCI Compliance bearings just got ordered

Going to install all of those guys along with the suspension, wheels and lip kit and hopefully by then the Endless Catback is out and on its way to me. Oh and Jeremy is going to kill me when he sees what I ordered for the wheels

The Bug strikes again......

No cure either, just hold and roll.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Confusing Name Guy

After a little more research I think you guys may have scared me off the FSB - Too much work for me to undertake by myself and I get this unpleasant feeling I'll be paying a fortune to get it changed out at a shop to the tune of 600$

Although from IHC's description on this post https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...n-woes-825444/ makes me think it might be worth a try at least.

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 03-07-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

You'll be fine without it.

Quick Reply: My 3G '05 TL 5AT in ABP - Intro and Build Plan