A little time line.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:24 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
A little time line.

What's up guys. I've had my TL since 9/9/09. Haven't done much, if anything to it yet really.
Only the following:
- Painted the stock rims "Graphite" yesterday. What do you guys think? Any idea what I should do with the center caps?
- Welded on new mufflers a few weeks ago. (Got them for free, so I had to.)

12/19/09 -

12/27/09 -

That's it! At this point, Idk whether I want to keep going with the car or keep it as is. If I do decide to keep working, which is what will probably happen , I'm thinking of doing the following as of now. *In no particular order.

- P2R Throttle Body Spacer: For proven gains.
- Cold Air Intake: Fujita, AEM V2, Injen, or a home made "Ice Box". I've heard it doesn't even matter which one I get, they all essentially do the same thing.
- Acurazine Stage 2 or 3 Exhaust: Where do I find the resonators?
- LS460 exhaust tips: Saw someone on here with those, amazing.
- Sub/Amp Combo: Pick up some JL's off of Craigslist.
- Stronger HID's: I have no idea what rating to get yet, but I want that extremely bright blue.
- Nokya Fogs: Bright yellow.
- Springs or coilovers: an 1" - 1.5" drop. Most likely springs.
- Tint: Still have to pick what level I want.
- *Front/Rear Camber Kit: I don't even know if I need this for sure.
- *Tint/Clear Headlights: Still have to decide which to do, if I decide to do it.
- *De-Badge or Paint Emblems Black
- *Ebay Mesh Grill: yep. lol
- *Re-paint stock rims black: If I do, then I will definitely paint my emblems black as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 AM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL

That's it! At this point, Idk whether I want to keep going with the car or keep it as is. If I do decide to keep working, which is what will probably happen , I'm thinking of doing the following as of now. *In no particular order.

- P2R Throttle Body Spacer: For proven gains.
- Cold Air Intake: Fujita, AEM V2, Injen, or a home made "Ice Box". I've heard it doesn't even matter which one I get, they all essentially do the same thing.
- Acurazine Stage 2 or 3 Exhaust: Where do I find the resonators?
- LS460 exhaust tips: Saw someone on here with those, amazing.
- Sub/Amp Combo: Pick up some JL's off of Craigslist.
- Stronger HID's: I have no idea what rating to get yet, but I want that extremely bright blue.
- Nokya Fogs: Bright yellow.
- Springs or coilovers: an 1" - 1.5" drop. Most likely springs.
- Tint: Still have to pick what level I want.
- *Front/Rear Camber Kit: I don't even know if I need this for sure.
- *Tint/Clear Headlights: Still have to decide which to do, if I decide to do it.
- *De-Badge or Paint Emblems Black
- *Ebay Mesh Grill: yep. lol
- *Re-paint stock rims black: If I do, then I will definitely paint my emblems black as well.
Definitely Do:

Coilovers (dont skimp out with springs, do it right the 1st time)
lip kit
nice jdmz0rz wheels

Don't:

ebay mesh grill
ls460 tips, unless you're car is as sick as that one guy's car.

Everything else you listed is up to you.

Stage 2/3 resonators are dynomax resonators, search in that one thread.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The bulb size is D2S. Get 10,000k, I just installed them and they look sick!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Looking good man and nice plans! I hate to call you out, but are you missing a part of your door handle?

Definitely tint it up, lower it, and then do the performance mods you wanted. Have you thought about getting the A-Spec kit? Since you have SSM, I think cleared headlights would look better than all blacked out

I have 8000k HIDs and they are pretty damn blue. People around town stay flashing their high beams at me because they think mine are on
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wheels look great, nice job.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 PM
9 mpg.

Scotterson - Alright man, thanks for the input. After thinking about the mesh grill, I've changed my mind. It just looks like something is missing in the front of the car to me. And as for the tips, Rodney's car is savage and I'm never gonna' be anywhere near on par with him. I won't necessary out them (the tips) as an option just yet, but if better options come up then I'll change my mind. I.E. - that dude who has the dropped on stock rims WDP with the quad tips only. It looked legit.

D-Town Hakuzo - Thanks for the info man! Ok, I was thinking something like 8k-10k bulbs anyway, but what rating should I get for my fogs?

CLtotheTL32 - What up man haha. You're in every thread I've ever created helping me out and giving me input. Thanks man . >> That was a side note. lol. But yes, I will admit that a piece of my door handle was missing but I have a good reason. It happened a few weeks ago when I went off-campus for school lunch. I parked the car and it was just fine, and I came back to see a 2 missing door handles. My driver's side front and my passenger's side front. Luckily, the passenger side handle was right there on the floor so I put it back on. The only reason I haven't put one back on my driver's side is because I can't decide whether I want to do the "shaved doors" mod or not. But way to pay attention bro, even though it's all too obvious that it's missing . haha. So you reccomend that I mod in that order i.e.; Tint, Suspension, and then Performance? Yes, I've considered the A-spec kit. But if I do install it, I want to do 04-06 A-spec front and sides, but type-s rear. I don't think I'm even gonna' mess with the headlights. I feel like that time/effort/money could be used for something more useful on the car. Haha sounds like 8k-10k HID's are the way to go then.

ChuckCL-S - Thanks man!

*long-ass post haha
Old 12-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Real Cars Have 3 Pedals

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wheels Came out Really Nice.

P.S.
Next time use the MULTI QUOTE to reply to more than one response.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:29 PM

CLtotheTL32 - What up man haha. You're in every thread I've ever created helping me out and giving me input. Thanks man . >> That was a side note. lol. But yes, I will admit that a piece of my door handle was missing but I have a good reason. It happened a few weeks ago when I went off-campus for school lunch. I parked the car and it was just fine, and I came back to see a 2 missing door handles. My driver's side front and my passenger's side front. Luckily, the passenger side handle was right there on the floor so I put it back on. The only reason I haven't put one back on my driver's side is because I can't decide whether I want to do the "shaved doors" mod or not. But way to pay attention bro, even though it's all too obvious that it's missing . haha. So you reccomend that I mod in that order i.e.; Tint, Suspension, and then Performance? Yes, I've considered the A-spec kit. But if I do install it, I want to do 04-06 A-spec front and sides, but type-s rear. I don't think I'm even gonna' mess with the headlights. I feel like that time/effort/money could be used for something more useful on the car. Haha sounds like 8k-10k HID's are the way to go then.
Haha no problem man!

Ouch that sucks that your door handles got screwed up. Somebody at your school jealous of the whip? My 01 CL-S that I had before my TL got food dumped on it and keyed in my school parking lot even though I didn't really have anybody that didn't like me or that I was an asshole to. People nowadays are just stupid for the most part.

Every time I've gotten a new car, the first thing I've done is get my windows tinted. I didn't go crazy dark like 5%, but I did the legal limit which here in NC is 32%. It looks classy IMO.

Since I got my TL and done things to it, I wish I would have done suspension first. Even with your stock wheels, a drop would give the car a meaner look. I'm saving my pennies for the A-Spec kit and a drop. Performance is great and all, but I'm not one to punch the pedal everywhere. I'm more for looks than performance. If I had a 6-speed, I would probably go after performance more than looks, but since mine is a 5-speed auto and also my DD, I'm not out to kill it with performance mods. The only thing I've done is a CAI and I'll eventually get some sort of exhaust. Besides that, my engine is staying stock.

You really should get the A-Spec kit. I think that's the #1 thing missing from my car. The Type-S rear looks awesome, but without quads, looks out of place as well. I'm just going to get the 04-06 kit and call it a day.

Even though you don't want to mess with the headlights now, I'm sure you will eventually down the road. I never wanted to but ended up doing them and I absolutely love them. No way in hell I would go back to stock. Every time I turn on my turn signals, people stare at my car like wtf

If you don't want to (or can't afford to) drop fat stacks on your car, have you thought about de-badging the rear? Painting your brake calipers? There is little shit that you can always do to make your car stand out without breaking the bank
Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
This is the shortest timeline I have ever seen lol

Anyways here are my opinions on what you have done so far. First of all I think the wheels looked better in silver. Second I think the stock tips look better than the ones you put on. Just my , take it or leave it.

For the future, I say get coilovers, get an Aspec kit, and get some nice wheels. Anything after that is icing on the cake.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey nice car! I like the the painted stockies, but i think the original tips flowed better with the car. You should definitely tint it first, makes the car look so much better! Where in so-cal are you located? We should meet up sometime.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
nice car
Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Good job on the wheels! Keep up the good work. By the way, be sure to join our Silver TL Social Group at:

https://acurazine.com/forums/groups/asm-ssm-tls-59/
Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by ACU-RATE
Wheels Came out Really Nice.

P.S.
Next time use the MULTI QUOTE to reply to more than one response.
Thanks. and Thanks for the tip. lol

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
If you don't want to (or can't afford to) drop fat stacks on your car, have you thought about de-badging the rear? Painting your brake calipers? There is little shit that you can always do to make your car stand out without breaking the bank
I'm thinking about painintg my calipers, maybe black or red. I can't decide about whether or not I want to debadge my rear or not.

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
This is the shortest timeline I have ever seen lol

Anyways here are my opinions on what you have done so far. First of all I think the wheels looked better in silver. Second I think the stock tips look better than the ones you put on. Just my , take it or leave it.
Appreciate the input man.

Originally Posted by AD-TL04
Hey nice car! I like the the painted stockies, but i think the original tips flowed better with the car. You should definitely tint it first, makes the car look so much better! Where in so-cal are you located? We should meet up sometime.
thanks for complimenting the rims bro! I am considering going back to the stock tips actually. These tips are all show, no go. I'm in murrieta right now, but I stay in SD bro. Hit me up sometime to meet up!

Originally Posted by dannymiriam
nice car
Thanks bro.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 PM

I'm thinking about painintg my calipers, maybe black or red. I can't decide about whether or not I want to debadge my rear or not.
I did my calipers black and they turned out great. Much better than the nasty rusty and silver look of the stock ones. Plus they look better behind my wheels; they don't stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
I did my calipers black and they turned out great. Much better than the nasty rusty and silver look of the stock ones. Plus they look better behind my wheels; they don't stick out like a sore thumb.
I think I'm gonna do that. I saw a TL last night with black breaks that had "ACURA" written across them in white. Now that was nice. lol.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

I think I'm gonna do that. I saw a TL last night with black breaks that had "ACURA" written across them in white. Now that was nice. lol.
Those are called Brembos, here is a pic of mine:

they come standard on 6 speed base TLs and they also come standard on the TL-S
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
9 mpg.

Well, I found out that the mufflers/tips I welded on were AP2 stocks. I'm gonna get them removed soon hopefully and put the stock parts back on. And now, a few questions.

1) Azine Stage 2 (magnaflow resonator) exhaust or a true cat-back? i.e. ATLP base. Is there a noticeable increase in power?

2) Is the RV-6 j-pipe really that far behind in terms of performance than the XLR8 and ATLP J-pipes? It's the cheapest and it comes with a race or test pipe. That's a bonus for me.

3) What are pre-cat deletes? And are they a "noticeable" power mod?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Well, I found out that the mufflers/tips I welded on were AP2 stocks. I'm gonna get them removed soon hopefully and put the stock parts back on. And now, a few questions.

1) Azine Stage 2 (magnaflow resonator) exhaust or a true cat-back? i.e. ATLP base. Is there a noticeable increase in power?

2) Is the RV-6 j-pipe really that far behind in terms of performance than the XLR8 and ATLP J-pipes? It's the cheapest and it comes with a race or test pipe. That's a bonus for me.

3) What are pre-cat deletes? And are they a "noticeable" power mod?

1. If you can spend $1100 on the ATLP base exhaust, do it. The sound is really nice and you get a bump in power. Stage 2 is all sound, no power gain.

2. I'd go with the ATLP V2 J-pipe. It's the best pipe if you lowered and awesome build quality. The flow is also better then the RV6 J-pipe.

3. Pre-cats come right before the J-pipe and they give you amazing power. Dyno proven to add about 15-20 horsepower probably the best power mod!

I'd post links and pictures but I'm using my iPhone lol can't really multi-task on this. I'm sure more members will offer their insight and maybe some pictures.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 AM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by alexSU
1. If you can spend $1100 on the ATLP base exhaust, do it. The sound is really nice and you get a bump in power. Stage 2 is all sound, no power gain.

2. I'd go with the ATLP V2 J-pipe. It's the best pipe if you lowered and awesome build quality. The flow is also better then the RV6 J-pipe.

3. Pre-cats come right before the J-pipe and they give you amazing power. Dyno proven to add about 15-20 horsepower probably the best power mod!

I'd post links and pictures but I'm using my iPhone lol can't really multi-task on this. I'm sure more members will offer their insight and maybe some pictures.
1. $1100?! . lol Damn, it looks like I'm definitely getting an Azine stage 2/3 exhaust set up then at least until I can find a good deal on an ATLP exhaust in the BM or something. Are there any other exhausts that are worth looking at?

2. Okay, I'll definitely consider it if it's that much better than the RV6. And another thing, what does a "test"/"race" pipe do?

3. Then I have to get pre-cats for sure!

Will the j-pipe and pre-cats also increase TQ a good amount? Cause that's what the TL lacks in my opinion.

As far as suspension goes, will a set of coil-overs and a rear sway bar be enough to make a difference in the handling capability of this car? I'm trying to get the most cost-effective, bang for your buck mods as you can probably tell. lol
Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
J-Pipes are the best HP/TQ increaser bolt-ons on our cars. There's absolutely no contest.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 AM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by princelybug
J-Pipes are the best HP/TQ increaser bolt-ons on our cars. There's absolutely no contest.
That's good to know. So with the j-pipe and pre-cat deletes, the car will be a whole different animal than stock? Also, does the ATLP j-pipe come with a race/test pipe and is that a powerful mod as well?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
That's good to know. So with the j-pipe and pre-cat deletes, the car will be a whole different animal than stock? Also, does the ATLP j-pipe come with a race/test pipe and is that a powerful mod as well?
Yep, a different animal

Race pipe replaces the catalytic converter. I'm not sure if it will give you a boost in power, I'd deleted mine and didn't feel any power difference.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 PM
9 mpg.

Ok guys, good news for me and indifferent for you! lol
I finally got a job as a host at a local restaurant so I have a steady source of income now which in turn means I can finally begin to really mod my TL. After (of course), paying off my crazy insurance and some other priorities. So here's what I got as far as major mods go.

- Ebay Decklid Spoiler $50
- Tein SS $750
- A-Spec Rims $800
- AEM V2 $285
- UR Pulley $200
- RV6 J-Pipe & Test Pipe $365
- Radar Detector $400
- A-Spec Kit $800

In what order would you guys do these mods? i.e. drop first, kit second, decklid spoiler, etc..

What's a good radar detector for no more than $400? I usually go to Temecula every weekend and the highway trip is long and straight. lol. sometimes there are no cops, and then some days you see cops every few miles.

Lastly, should I remove the exhaust tips/mufflers I added on and weld the stock tips/mufflers back on when I do the stage 1 exhaust?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Get the drop first.

Do the stage 3 and yeah put the stock tips back on, you can do like what I did and extend them a couple inches for when you get your Aspec kit.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Get the drop first.

Do the stage 3 and yeah put the stock tips back on, you can do like what I did and extend them a couple inches for when you get your Aspec kit.
Yeah, I was leaning towards the drop as my first major mod. then what?

Yeah, the stock tips just flow a lot better with the TL. Is the stage 3 a dynomax resonator? Any rasp or drone while driving? And how did you go about extending the tips?

Anyone got any tips for a good radar detector for $400?