The Klasse Look on WDP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
The Klasse Look on WDP!

So before finding this forum I always took my cars to car washes. But thanks to you guys I saw the light, and after doing some homework I decided to go with Klasse AIO on my new TL's virgin paint. It seemed to provide great results with relatively less work.

So today I set out to take my new car-care learnings and put them to the test. I haven't waxed a car since I was like 12, and I remember hating it. But with my new knowledge and tools I was looking forward to rediscovering the joys of car-care. Here's what I went in with:

2 Buckets (1 rinse, 1 soap)
Dawn Dishwashing Liquid
Chenille Wash Mit
California Water Blade
MF Drying Towel
Klasse AIO
Handi-Grip Applicator
MF Polishing Towel
Detailing Brush

MAN WHAT A LOT OF FREAKING WORK!!! It took 4 hours for me to wash the car with dishwashing liquid, dry it off completely, apply Klasse AIO and buff. To all you professional detailers out there, much props! This task wiped me out I can't imagine doing it on a regular basis.

But you know what, my car looks DAMN good and having the right tools really makes a difference. I feel like accomplished something today and I'm proud! Here are some pics!

Now for the interior!! (after I go take a long nap)
Old 01-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moved to photograph gallery. Looks amazing! What a great shine
Old 01-15-2006, 08:12 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to use the Klasse sealant glaze. AIO only looks good but SG makes it look much better and will give it better protection. I only used AIO once and have layered SG continuosly and it gives me great results.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Lookin Good I Wish I Bought White Instead Of Black
Old 01-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ajeetm, nice work guy and the it looks really great. AIO, one of the better products available is a basically a chemical cleaner and contains no wax. It is a protectant that has durability. However, it is recommended to use Klasse SG or some other sealant on top of it for addtional shine and protection. Another option would be an LSP (last step product), preferably a carnuba (S100, P21S or Nattys) which would have given a wet look as well as depth.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Apply SG? But that means more work and I'm tired!! How much better will it look? And is there someone that'll ship it to me for free?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:37 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
I wish my TL was that clean!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gj!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Desi TL Limo

I was told dish washing liquid was the worst thing you could use to wash your car. Strips the car's wax and any oils in it. Since detergent is used in dishes to remove oils/ grease quickly, makes sense that you wouldn't want to use it and use something less abrasive for the car.

Can anyone corroborate this? In this instance (post starter seems to be applying fresh wax after wash) is it acceptable to use dish washing detergent?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Looks great! Wanna do mine?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Looks great! Wanna do mine?
Still recovering from yesterday, I'm totally out of shape I guess. Ask me again tomorrow

TorontoR - I *wanted* to strip off whatever wax/sealant/crap was on the car since I have no idea what the dealer did before I got it. Dawn soap worked great in that regard! Now I know exactly what's on the car. Moving forward I'll use regular car wash soap (probably Megs) since it won't remove my Klasse AIO and also conditions.

I'm thinking about laying down some Klasse SG, but honestly it looks good enough for me so I probably won't bother.

I did pick up some Sonus Acrylic Spritz, so I'll use it after or in between washes to maintain the finish.

For me it's all about a good look in the least amount of time, and so far this seems to be the right approach!
Old 01-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Desi TL Limo

Originally Posted by ajeetm
Still recovering from yesterday, I'm totally out of shape I guess. Ask me again tomorrow

TorontoR - I *wanted* to strip off whatever wax/sealant/crap was on the car since I have no idea what the dealer did before I got it. Dawn soap worked great in that regard! Now I know exactly what's on the car. Moving forward I'll use regular car wash soap (probably Megs) since it won't remove my Klasse AIO and also conditions.

I'm thinking about laying down some Klasse SG, but honestly it looks good enough for me so I probably won't bother.

I did pick up some Sonus Acrylic Spritz, so I'll use it after or in between washes to maintain the finish.

For me it's all about a good look in the least amount of time, and so far this seems to be the right approach!
Thanks for the info bro. Looks amazing (I've got WDP also) and needed to be reminded I made right decision! These pictures do just that!
Old 01-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TorontoR
I was told dish washing liquid was the worst thing you could use to wash your car. Strips the car's wax and any oils in it. Since detergent is used in dishes to remove oils/ grease quickly, makes sense that you wouldn't want to use it and use something less abrasive for the car.

Can anyone corroborate this? In this instance (post starter seems to be applying fresh wax after wash) is it acceptable to use dish washing detergent?
Check out this thread titled "How To Wash Your Car Like A Pro" post #14 & #17. Some folks do use it to completely strip the surface any applied sealant/was. And other will use a cleaner/polish. The choice is entirely yours. Here's a post by TOGWT (also note the original post by exceldetail):

Originally Posted by exceldetail
I dont see the logic in it whatsoever. Any decent polish will remove previously applied sealants anyway, why risk such a high alkaline product robbing oils in vinyl and rubber seals? This whole Dawn thing, IMO is ludicrous.
I agree and so do the makers Procter & Camble. IMO Wash with Z-7 and then use Z-PC Fusion

Washing-up Liquids:
Detergents type washing-up liquids should not be used on a regular basis for vehicles bodywork as their concentrated detergent soaps and usually high sodium / alkaline content will emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils naturally found in your paint, and also any oils you have applied in the way of a polish or glaze. Most polymer sealants, synthetic and natural waxes are detergent resistant, so a dishwashing detergent like Dawn will not remove them.

Generally avoid the use of household cleaning products for automotive detailing as they are formulated for an entirely different type of cleaning. “Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car”. Proctor and Gamble (See also Detergents)
JonM
Old 01-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorontoR
Thanks for the info bro. Looks amazing (I've got WDP also) and needed to be reminded I made right decision! These pictures do just that!
Yes, for sure you made the right decision. WDP is just beautiful. Especially in direct sunlight where you can really see the pearl effect.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

ajeetm, just a suggestion, try Optimum Car Wax (OCW) on top of the AIO. It's one of the best spray wax products available, very easy to use and creates a super slick finish. It is a combination of polymers, carnuba wax, and UV inhibitors. More info can be found here. It's on sale at PAC for $12.95.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
ajeetm, just a suggestion, try Optimum Car Wax (OCW) on top of the AIO. It's one of the best spray wax products available, very easy to use and creates a super slick finish. It is a combination of polymers, carnuba wax, and UV inhibitors. More info can be found here. It's on sale at PAC for $12.95.
Hmm, looks interesting. I have Sonus Acrylic Spritz for use in between washes. How does OCW compare? Does Sonus provide UV protection? Man this is so confusing. I just want my finish shiny and protected!!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Wish I could wash mine outside right now..... (well below 0 for the past few days w/ windchill factored in...)

Your car looks beautiful.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ajeetm
Hmm, looks interesting. I have Sonus Acrylic Spritz for use in between washes. How does OCW compare? Does Sonus provide UV protection? Man this is so confusing. I just want my finish shiny and protected!!
The big difference is Optimum is a polymer wax and can be used a standalone product as well as QD. Spritz is basically a QD/ID used to extend the life of the applied product i.e. SG, EX-P, UPP. As far as UV protection, don't know if the Sonus has it.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Wish I could wash mine outside right now..... (well below 0 for the past few days w/ windchill factored in...)

Your car looks beautiful.
Thanks ScribeSoft!! Yea, it's one of the perks of living on the west coast! Glad I moved out from NY or it'd be stuck under a few inches of snow/grit right now!

Hawhyen51, sent a mail to Autopia since they carry the Sonus line. Let's see what they say...
Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Ok, here's the official response from Autopia about Sonus Acrylic Spritz and UV protection...

"The Klasse AIO is an excellent protectant and the Sonus Spritz will add a little boost to that so you don't need any further protection unless you want to add the Klasse Sealant Glaze."

So I can interpret that as NO, it doesn't provide UV protection but don't worry about it.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

I agree with the folks at Autopia that AIO is a great product. I was merely suggesting a process to further prolong the AIO. Most folks who are enthusiasts as well as the pros use four basic steps when detailing. Wash, clay, polish & seal. It's even mentioned on one of Autopia's tutorials entitled"How To Give Your Car The Perfect Shine". Steps 5 & 6 suggests using a sealant over the AIO and then top it with a 'Nuba. To maintain the look, they recommend using one of the Sonus QD sprays in between washes. Anyway, just thought I'd drop that tidbit of info. Enjoy detailing cuz it will turn heads as you drive by.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:07 PM
10th Gear

wow! your car looks great! makes me even happier to have a WDP