I made one hell of a mistake.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
oh crap! i have that guy in my signature too but yeah man, glad it happened at a lower speed in a more controlled area. he definitely was a douchehead, now hes v 6 p's problem
Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol to blackura's comment
Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
The Story.

Here it goes.

Buddy moves into my apt complex. Black TL, black wheels. See's me working on my car. Eventually he comes over to see what is going on. Tells me he works as a technician at Hendrick Honda. Proceeds to tell me if any work needs to be done, just bring it on up there and he will gladly work on it. So i'm glad nice! good deal good deal.

So my brother needs his brakes installed. We bring it to Honda, and everything gets installed quickly and without any problems. I'm thinking, man this guy is good!

A month or so later, i'm moving out of my apt. It's hot as hell, and i'm getting tired of moving stuff into the Uhaul. SO i'm like, dude, just take this stuff. Gave him my old oem calipers and rotors, a 12W7 in a custom box, and some 18 inch Focal G7 wheels and tires. He says " damn, i'm gonna be working on your car forever"! I look at him and smile.

So now i'm in my new apt. Dude comes over and we modify his headlights. After we get done, i'm like, man lets put the te-37s on my 6MT. The lug nuts were tight to the point that i couldnt break them loose with a socket and bar. So he busts out his gun. Lug nuts come right off. As he is putting the te37s on, he gets to the right rear, and says, hey man this lug nut doesn't want to go on. Damn thing is misthreading. I'm thinking to myself, hmmmm...how is this so. ???...

Another month or so. He's inquires about my old sparco seats. I'm like, well shit, if you want them, how about doing the knuckle swap for me and i'll give them to you. Deal. Brings his tools over and performs the swap. His method to get the lower control stud out of the housing it to take a mallet and beat it until it pops out. My ass is frightened by this method, and i'm standing there with my eyes about to explode as a result of this fear. One bad swing and it's going to clip the stud and damage the threads. Am i right or am i right? The proper technique is to use a press. But low and behold, the knuckle swap is done.

Somewhere along the lines, he tells me he lost his job at Hendrick Honda. They said he left some lug nuts loose on a customer's car and caused a flame inside an engine bay on another car. They let him go. Dude is without a job.

He tells me the story, and i'm like damn. He then ends up inquiring about my old CF hood. I tell him if you want it, then i'll give it to you if you swap the catalytic converters out. I find the DIY on acurazine, and read it. It says nothing about taking the front right axle out. So he's getting around to the rear cat, and says, dude i've got to take the axle out to get this rear cat out. I proceed to tell him that this thing can be jiggled out. He says, no, i need to take this axle out. I'm getting nervous at this point. I tell him, allright, go ahead and do that if you feel it's neccessary. He takes the entire assembly apart and gets the cat out. Puts it back together. He starts tightening the axle nut, and it gets to a point where it doesn't want to go any further. I'm standing there looking at it, and i'm like that nut needs to go a few more millimeters. The nut wouldn't budge. Test drive... grinding sound coming from the front right on left turns only. His response, oh it's the dust shield". I'm thinking, no probably something more intense.

I drive the car 60 miles, and i'm thinking something just isn't right. I take the wheel off, and inspect. I find the rotor has been digging into the caliper. The entire hub and brake assembly can be jiggled...not suppose to happen. Call him up, he comes over and his torque gun is unsuccessful in getting this nut off. He tells me let's take the knuckle off the auto TL...and i stop him right there. I tell him, dude i'm just going to drive this thing up to Acura and let them handle it. He tells me, "man, if i messed your car up, i'm never working on a car ever again". I remember standing there looking at him.

I'm driving the loaner TL, and recieve a picture message... He sends me a picture of his newly tinted tailights. I look at it and shake my head.

Acura bill....$1,187.00 Pissed.

Another picture message a week later... he sends me a picture of his newly installed j-pipe. I look at it and shake my head.

ANOTHER picture message... new grille he received.

This whole time i'm just waiting for him to be like, man, im sorry, how much do I owe you, or what can be done. Not once does he even offer. Still to this day i'm waiting.

And then, this stud breaks. Uber pissed. Mostly pissed off at myself more than anything.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
in fact, hes not a retard....

hes a

Old 07-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Eric man... why did you even associate yourself with that clown after he bashed in you in that thread.. to me that's a person with no class. Kind of pissed me off when he said those thing about you. This is one of my biggest fears.. wheel falling off while driving or some shit.. geez man..i am shocked. Thank god you're alright brother. And yes that is one of the most HIDEOUS TL's I've ever seen.

Waiting to read the story.....
Old 07-15-2009, 01:39 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
WOW.....that story was worth staying up an extra hour tonight, to read

once you said "axle off" to get a Cat out? i was shocked.... no wonder this dude was fired..... he should be fired from life.... fired from this earth....

how can anybody be soooooo stupid?

Eric... my man... i gotta tell you, you did make a poor judgement call on this... but heck, live & learn, right? Most important thing, is that you are safe , and the car will be repaired
Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Byruns

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Eric man... why did you even associate yourself with that clown after he bashed in you in that thread.. to me that's a person with no class. Kind of pissed me off when he said those thing about you. This is one of my biggest fears.. wheel falling off while driving or some shit.. geez man..i am shocked. Thank god you're alright brother. And yes that is one of the most HIDEOUS TL's I've ever seen.

i think Eric stopped talking to him taht's why JSfaguratls whatever bashed on him. But man that story sounds scary! sounds so similiar to Cable Guy with Jim Carey. Good Luck with the car Eric!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Wait ... Am I the only one who thinks this is unacceptable? He needs to be held responsible for this ...
Old 07-15-2009, 01:43 AM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
WOW.....that story was worth staying up an extra hour tonight, to read

once you said "axle off" to get a Cat out? i was shocked.... no wonder this dude was fired..... he should be fired from life.... fired from this earth....

how can anybody be soooooo stupid?

Eric... my man... i gotta tell you, you did make a poor judgement call on this... but heck, live & learn, right? Most important thing, is that you are safe , and the car will be repaired
I'm glad it was worth the read. I was shocked too when he said the axle needed to come out. I'm really really hating my judgement calls in this situation. Hopefully there will be no more setbacks. I'm so glad i'm safe.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Instructor

ya never deal with ppl like that.. they always think they r right.. use u and then when something goes wrong its like they dont know u..
Old 07-15-2009, 01:59 AM
tehLEGOman

yikes.... pretty scary shit....

ya know, im quick to do DIY things in my driveway and garage with basic hand tools, but TWO things in this world, I only let ONE person besides me touch on my cars is suspension and brakes....

I agree with you on the calling people out... you're a well respected member like many others on here... lately though, this forum has been filling with some shady type characters, BM scammers and people who just dont know WTF they're doing or talking about
Uber scary. I've always underestimated my ability to work on cars. Perhaps i should have just trusted myself, went out and bought the neccessary tools, and held the weight on my own shoulders. If anything breaks, then i'll know it's my own damn fault. Thanks Allon...i hate shady people.

Originally Posted by vipTL
Omg glad your okay brother! I thought your wheel bearing gave out at first till I read further
Originally Posted by minkl81
holy shitz!!
been missing many threads these days and that "mugen" tl......
haha you gots to be up on the interwebz storiez!

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
Sorry to see the above picture ... I'm sure all of us are pretty awe-struck right now ... talk about being a complete douche-bag idiot that can't spell for the love of his own damn mother

Please update us after you speak with him ... I'm anticipating an overwhelming amount of, for the lack of a better word, BULLSHIT from his side ...
I hate looking at the picture. We'll see what he says.

Glad to hear you are safe nonetheless!
Thanks bro! me too!

Originally Posted by vigilante1
WOW!! That hurts just looking at it, glad your safe though bro.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by Byruns
i'm sooo waiting right now.. lol
haha

i just read that mugen thread... .my god.... is this person LITERALLY mentally retarded???

How could anybody spell that bad?

Eric.... My homie... i feel you must have made a mistake on this one....

that dude shouldnt even OWN an Acura.... he should be driving around in this

It weird man, when you talk to him in person you would never know his spelling abilities are at that level.

And yes Allon, a very big and costly mistake. I'm just glad i didn't cause injuries to myself and others on the road. If this happened on the open road and i slammed into someone, I would never sleep well at night.

Originally Posted by ib18c1
oh crap! i have that guy in my signature too but yeah man, glad it happened at a lower speed in a more controlled area. he definitely was a douchehead, now hes v 6 p's problem
I'm glad it was in the parking too brother. Is he on now?!

Originally Posted by coreshredder
lol to blackura's comment
haha

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S

I've disregarding all of his phone calls and texts. I followed that thread and couldn't believe his words. A wheel falling off has also been one of my greater fears. From time to time, i wonder what the hell would happen if a wheel fell off. The tow truck driver guy said the car will just plow until it comes to a stop.

Originally Posted by Byruns
ratta tat tat.

Originally Posted by ib18c1
i think Eric stopped talking to him taht's why JSfaguratls whatever bashed on him. But man that story sounds scary! sounds so similiar to Cable Guy with Jim Carey. Good Luck with the car Eric!
Yeah i stopped talking to him. Thanks brother!

Wait ... Am I the only one who thinks this is unacceptable? He needs to be held responsible for this ...
Highly unnacceptable. But it's really all my fault. I should have known from second he told me Honda fired him.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to see this happen to you. keep your head up and learn from your mistakes (even though its really not your fault).

people like this really pisses me off, reminds me of a guy here named joe who got banned for multiple forums b/c of similar situations with mutliple cars.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You held back long enough, and this was the last straw. Actually the time he starting asking for parts in return of service was where you should've drawn the line. And how long have you known him? Not long I assume. He took your generosity for granted and now you got burned for it. Payback is a bitch and karma will bite him in the ass.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Racer

you should take all your stuff back that you gave him for his awesome services!
glad your okay and no one got hurt...
Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
That sucks man..... I was honestly really surprised when he name dropped you in that one thread. At least nothing worse happened, like your car slammed to the ground and you hit someone else. Just move on... that tard can make himself bad without even trying.

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
to see this happen to you. keep your head up and learn from your mistakes (even though its really not your fault).

people like this really pisses me off, reminds me of a guy here named joe who got banned for multiple forums b/c of similar situations with mutliple cars.
the guy who did the 6MT swap for the 2G TLs? wow, no wonder he got banned so much.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Wow. What a freakin moron that guy is. No wonder he got fired.

That guy's a FAIL.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Banned

Dude, so glad you're ok.
At least yeah, you're going slow!

I kinda guessed it was some where along the lines of like suspension blowing. I guess, I was close?
HAHa, but wow that guy's a douche.
GG to his intelligence and reputation on Azine.
Not that he had any but it's worst now.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Eric, I know how scary it is to have suspension components fail like that, since something similar to me happened a few months ago when my two front shocks were jammed deep into the forks from a hard impact going about 45mph:

Anyways, I have a few questions to ask you to clarify what happened, since I'm scared what happened to you might happen to other members on the board, including me.

In this diagram, is it #19 that failed? If so, how did it fail? Did it just slip off or was it sliced into pieces? It's held on by a nut that's supposed to be torqued to about 40 lb/ft.

FYI, Honda recommends replacing that bolt every time it is touched, something I haven't done after removing it about 5 times, but am now seriously thinking about doing.

What happened to you is obviously way worse than my issues, but thanks for any info you might have, and good luck with the repair/beating the guy's ass.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Burning Brakes

dude... thats some shit man..

at least your ok..

that dude is an IDIOT..u should be able to judge someone by their car
Old 07-15-2009, 05:07 AM
'10 Shelby

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, really sucks to see that happened. This is the reason i would never let another TL owner work on my car unless i know them well.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
damn that sucks dude Seriously though, thank god no one was hurt!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:17 AM
boost owns

Wow. This whole situation is crazy. Like everyone else has said, I'm glad this happened to you in a parking lot rather than on the streets.

Don't sweat it too much for now... I bet karma's got something in store for the little Honda repairman that couldn't.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:26 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I am Glad your Alright, the car is always replaceable-repairable. I work as a Technician and been doing so for the past 6-7 years. I do assure you that yes there are times the lower control arm has to be hit off, if your keeping it well you can use pry bars and work it out but sometimes with bushings rotting and rusting hitting it is the only way man. As far as the bolt in that picture # 19 you always and I mean ALWAYS replace it when removing it. You tend to keep streching it and will end up breaking under stress. I will not pick sides but just saying shit does happen he should have been more aware of whats involved in this job and most importantly replace any bolts that were removed.

I did a four wheel brake job in my driveway last weekend. Rotors and pads the whole 9 yards plus some other bullshit. His rear brakes had a ton of rust, I even said the chances of something breaking is pretty high. Well ended up breaking a slide into the caliper bracket. Used heat and PB blaster the whole 9 and nothing the rust had done it's job. I ended up having to replace the whole caliper and the guy understood. Yeah I felt bad but I what was I going to do shit happens but I repaired it as needed and he understood. Sorry you had to go through it man, but it takes a tech to understand what he did. Best of luck man!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Nasty... all I can say is nasty. And it's stories like this, that reaffirms my cynicism towards people nowadays. It seems that common sense and just plain ol common courtesy are seen less and less as the years roll by. The sad part is that this guy ain't the only one like that. What happened to just owning up and manning up to ones actions? I mean not to even offer to help you out with it? How about an apology? Does he even realized that he's in the wrong because the crazy thing is he probably realize it in the slightest.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Green Tea

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
I feels like my heart was ripped out of me and this is not even my car.

Hope everything goes well with the repairs and glad you are ok.

Eric will be back and shining in no time.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened Eric... I'm glad you're alright and nothing serious happened... Like everyone has said... you live and you learn...

That's why I only let ONE person work on my car (mechanically)...

Should be an easy fix...

What people don't realize is that Bilt #19 & #14 (diagram above) Should be replaced with NEW ones once it's removed from the fork... They are a ONE TIME USE BOLT...
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
sorry for your troubles, eric.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You see... This sort of thing would make me hurt someone.

Eric. I'm really sorry this happened to you. I will await the full story for further comment.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I would have ripped him a new one if that shit every happened to me. I admire your self-restraint. you have such an awesome looking car, this is equivalent to someone walking up to you and poking you in the eye with a knife.

Im glad you're safe. makes me sad such a thing happened on your car. its what my car dreams of becoming one day.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Damn dude, so sorry to see that happen to you and your car.

But, as many others have said, the extreme positive out of this situation is that it happened in a parkling lot.

Also, wanted to commend you on taking the high ground in that "EYeeeeeeeeeeee SPeekaaaahh Noooo InnnnGeeeshhh!" thread that you posted of douche nuts.

Best of luck to you dude,
Just remember, Karma is a real bitch.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Eric, sorry to see this happen to you man. Good luck w/ the repair.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
wow, sorry to see that bro. one of the cleanest cars on here. hope you get it fixed soon and kick that guys ass
Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Damn Eric. Sorry to see this happen to you bro. I was going to have this guy put my springs on but then I backed out. Some locals warned me of him and now I see it gets worse! Dude you got every right to have your stuff back and for him to pay your stealership bill!

And if you need something done right, you know the locals (not naming anyone ) are always very helpful and much more knowledgeable Good luck and I hope you get your ride to good form soon.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Originally Posted by rodneyc77

What people don't realize is that Bilt #19 & #14 (diagram above) Should be replaced with NEW ones once it's removed from the fork... They are a ONE TIME USE BOLT...
I did not know this. I've done suspension numerous times on different cars and nothing has happened to the bolt #19 and #14 failing. Is it because it was rusted that it breaks off? I've taken those two bolts out with ease and never had i run into any suspension failure after re-using them. Well thanks for the new info, i'm certain to replace them. Better be safe than sorry.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Death Before Dismount

That's some shit. Totally blown about this happening to ANYONE.

Also some shit that he didn't even OFFER to help you out with an 1100+ dollar repair bill. I would have gotten some legal consultation at that point..

Much luck to you in figuring this all out. And like everyone else said, glad to hear you are safe. This could have been much much worse.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
Originally Posted by HONgDA

I did not know this. I've done suspension numerous times on different cars and nothing has happened to the bolt #19 and #14 failing. Is it because it was rusted that it breaks off? I've taken those two bolts out with ease and never had i run into any suspension failure after re-using them. Well thanks for the new info, i'm certain to replace them. Better be safe than sorry.
I recently changed out my suspension to A-Spec, and that mad mamajama was rusted on tight!. I cleaned it off with a wire brush and liquid wrench, and it appeared to be good. After seeing this thread, i called up an Acura dealership in Chicagoland that has an very knowledgable service tech (he's old, lol) and asked if i needed to change out that fork bolt. he stated , "no" .

In the ASpec instructions, they dont inform us to swap out the bolt. Yet, rodney has a good point, i think. Many of us have had to use a dowel pin and mallet to get the dang thing out. Just for the sake of safety it may be good to change it out.

Rodneyc77, Did you read somewhere specifically that we need to change out the bolt? If so, could you point us to where you read this? (Im not doubting what youre saying, just curious)

Dont mean to derail the thread...
Old 07-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
o.....m......g...

don't you hate being too nice at times? lol. i feel you on that one.

this is the reason why sometimes, i'm a little uneasy when people ask me to work on their cars. lol

hopefully you get this shit taken care of.

i would def come over to help you if you were a little closer.... haha.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM
*WFC #162*

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I get home from work, log in and this is the first thread I see and I'm like, Huh? wonder what Eric is doing now. In no way did I expect this. Def glad to hear your OK. That's the most important part of course. As for the car, those parts can be replaced. Yea it sucks and can be costly, but your or someone else life can't. I had the rear axle in my old mustang snap going down the drag strip going about 75 mph and smashed me into the wall. Scariest moment of my life. So trust me, be thankful that it happened at such a low speed.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Its bad when someone touches the heart of the car, some people believe the motor of the car is the heart, I consider it suspension

I don't touch it, I always only let legit peeps work on it
Trey (local car-head)
Craig (semi-local fellow azine acura tech)

The other times anyone else has worked on my rides it ends up being more expensive

The fact is anytime you try and save a buck, you end up getting jammed up and spending more... Although some of your parts for labor trades were nuts... Cf hood and recaros c'mon bro, I would've driven down and helped you do this shit in person if you was given out parts

As for removing the axle for cat install... Yes by the book u remove the rear halfshaft... But since the cat can me jiggle wiggled out.. It's a safer bet

Petition to ban this member
1. Stillhere153

Quick Reply: I made one hell of a mistake.