Guti's '07 WDP Slow Build Thread (Updated 4/8/2018)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
haha got another good one. When I got my front aspec lip, I was up until 3 am finishing it on a work night. Solid 3 hours of sleep for work sucked but had to get it done haha (I was putting a base front lip on my type s which is why it took much longer than normal)
oh nice, I didn't realize you had the base aspec lip on your type-s. IMO the type-s aspec lip for the front is too boxy, it does look good, but the base one is much sleeker

Originally Posted by evarela25
I would say whole aspec over headlights just like sockr1 says. I had my headlights and taillights done before the aspec and I regretted not doing the kit first , also I have a base but have the quads but I did go aftermarket and got the xlr8 catback ... goodluck with what you choose , it will look great in the end
haha shit, another one for the kit eh...ill take your input into consideration so thank you!

Also, ive been thinking about this some more. Right now, I have the luxury of being able to park the TL for a few weeks and use the wifes truck. The weather is crap and itll do the car some good to stay indoors, I might even be able to give it a wax if temperatures get high enough. That being said, I think I might just do the lights right now. Cuz when spring/summer comes around, Im going to want to get the car on the road, and having it parked in the summer will be hard, as I wont have the flexibility of having a spare vehicle. Plus having the aspec kit go on in the spring/summer will be better as temperatures will be warmer and my hands wont freeze, also gives me more time to track down a type-s muffler.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
BOOOOO! I told you the kit would be the better choice overall. But agreed on the lights with your situation. Do it while its cold out and then you can buy the kit later on.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I've always been a total sucker for sexy lights.... best way to go IMO!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

So a pretty big update....some of it good, and some not so much..

first the ugly stuff.....so I had decided to park the TL for a bit and send off my tail lights to get cleaned and re-sealed (passenger tail was a leaking mess). Before parking it, I decided to give it a thorough wash down to get all of the winter salt and grime off. Unfortunately, I over looked the consequences of leaving a "wet" car garaged for an extended period of time....

went to go start the TL up a couple weeks ago, but the god damn thing wouldn't move. Looked at it closer, and turns out that the rear driver side wheel was completely locked in place and would just drag each time I attempted to move the car (worst noise ever btw). I thought a seized caliper was the culprit, I thought wrong!

this was the picture sent by the shop where I had it towed to....the rotor is not even 3 months old!!
this was the picture sent by the shop where I had it towed to....the rotor is not even 3 months old!!as you can see, the rotor was F'ed the F UP!!! At first, I was super happy because the shop was going to cover the tow cost and replace the caliper under warranty......but as it turns out the caliper was completely fine......instead my brake shoes, lines and rotors/pads were messed up big time. SO the shop spent about two hours trying to knock off the rotor with everything imaginable, almost cut my emergency brake line because they thought it was frozen.....luckily I dodged a bullet there and they were able to knock those two ^^ suckers off........anyways in the end I had to get my brake components replaced....and it ended up costing me a lot more than ZERO

Still some more ugly stuff......got my tails back from Bruce after having them cleaned and resealed......but driver side arrived damaged.....sent it back to Bruce and am currently waiting on its return......in the meantime picked up some 04-06 tails for cheap off craigslist and slapped some VHT on them to make them blend a bit better........

now onto the good stuff!...........finally purchased the ASPEC KIT (thanks to sockr1 and breezy for the convincing lol). Almost didn't do it, but figured hey the car is sitting anyway, mine as well take advantage and get what ive always wanted done.......the day after I had the brake job completed, I got a good friend of mine to install the kit for me (the weather is garbage atm in Vancity).

Sorry for the crappy pics, will take some decent ones once weather permits!

the day she was towed....if only I knew what was to come

love the rear, so much more aggressive!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
WOW! That brake shoe is toast! Now don't do that again... The A-Spec kit looks great! Can't wait to see the tails once you get them back!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
glad we convinced you haha, you won't regret it, it already looks so good in the few pics you showed. need an overall pic now!
Old 03-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
WOW! That brake shoe is toast! Now don't do that again... The A-Spec kit looks great! Can't wait to see the tails once you get them back!
yeah lol I definitely learned my lesson, albeit it was a 500 dollar one. Thanks, I am actually very satisfied with it! The color mismatch is not as bad as I thought it would be, and tails reached Bruce today, so sometime next week I should have them back and installed

glad we convinced you haha, you won't regret it, it already looks so good in the few pics you showed. need an overall pic now!
yeah after going back and forth over new headlights or the aspec kit, it was actually an easy decision in the end. Can't wait for some nice weather here, ive got a Adam's polishes foam cannon ive been itching to try out as well
Old 03-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ Adam's Polishes is very popular in the world of Corvette too. I just bought a foam cannon myself (not from Adam's though). Can't wait to try mine out on BOTH cars.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^ Adam's Polishes is very popular in the world of Corvette too. I just bought a foam cannon myself (not from Adam's though). Can't wait to try mine out on BOTH cars.
is there a correct way of using the foam cannon......what I mean is....do you just cover the car in foam.....wait a bit....and then rinse off? Or are you supposed to be incorporating the use of a wash mitt?

PS: thanks for updating title
Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Very very nice updates , aspec kit enhances the look of this car. I thought you were wanting to go with a type s rear ? Regardless it looks great
Old 03-24-2017, 06:38 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
My opinion...
foam lance from amazon
and a 1600 psi electric pressure washer.
the hose ones are useless and the gas powered pressure washers put out too much water and dilute the suds.

spray on, let it sit, rinse off, then spray on or do your normal 2 bucket method. Personally, I spray on, then 2 bucket it on the first go...but then again, my car is a daily and I refuse to be a slave to avoiding swirls.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Originally Posted by MyGuti
is there a correct way of using the foam cannon......what I mean is....do you just cover the car in foam.....wait a bit....and then rinse off? Or are you supposed to be incorporating the use of a wash mitt?

PS: thanks for updating title

From what I understand, just foam it up, use your mitt to get any hard to remove grime off and have fun with it. Be sure to take pics of it all foamed up.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 AM

Bottom line, yes, you still need to wipe the car down...foam alone will not remove the dirt, even with the pressure wash.
The following users liked this post:
MyGuti (03-28-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

So its been a little bit, I've been hustling with work and haven't had too much time to pay attention to the TL. That being said, the past couple months have shown some progress.

I finally got around to using the foam gun/cannon on the TL. Still messing around with the soap/water ratio to maximize its potential, but combined with a pressure washer, its pretty darn good IMO.

Next up, I pulled the trigger on the stage 3 exhaust setup. Its pretty much exactly what I wanted and I love the exhaust note, especially on cold starts

Somewhere during the past few months, I finally received my VLEDS for my interior swap (it took them months to get me all the bulbs, they were on back order for the longest time). I don't have a pic of the bulbs just yet, but will get around to it shortly. I swapped every bulb except the vanity lights. Still need to get the glove box and middle console lights swapped but they are a major PITA.

​​​​​​​Lastly I received my tail light from Bruce and got around to swapping them in. The modification needed to make the customized lights fit is actually very minor, I was able to get them on the vehicle without actually trimming that piece off.

Im pretty satisfied with how the car looks now. I find myself looking "back at it" like when I first brought it home. The final touches will definitely be a set of wheels and probably a drop on some coils. But don't know when that will happen....and I also installed the trunk nets again, but this time with the cargo net. I really need to take some time and snap some decent pics, but these will have to do for the time being. Time is hard to come by these days.

Summer toys
​​​​​​​
Old 06-12-2017, 07:39 AM

Love your summer toys!
Great update as usual...
the foam isn't bad but you'd be surprised what a foam lance, the right soap and a 1600 electric pressure washer can achieve.
A bit much for a car wash though...

Overall, looking great, man.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
looks good man!
definitely play with your car wash settings more, i use a garden hose and foam gun (opposed to pressure water and foam canon) and i get way more foam action on my car which i shouldn't. what soap are you using? some soaps foam way better than others.

for your cargo net there's a better way to make it functional, if you want that. see the two attachment cords that you have angling back towards the rear of the car? move those to the attachment points on the roof of the trunk, and the two that you have on the roof of your trunk move those to the sides of the car and your cargo net will be very functional and can hold bags of groceries, etc because it's a very tight enclosed "net". see my picture below, i can put lots of "loose items" back there and they are held very well:

Name:  IMG_2525_zpsircybhdo.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  74.3 KB
Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 PM
Team Owner

You'll get the hang of the foam cannon-they're always fun!

Nice updates too.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
OG, if you haven't noticed we have a local acura group here in Vancouver, BC.
You have so much more to mod for your TL. PM me for more details if you want explore our local group.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Love your summer toys!
Great update as usual...
the foam isn't bad but you'd be surprised what a foam lance, the right soap and a 1600 electric pressure washer can achieve.
A bit much for a car wash though...

Overall, looking great, man.
Thanks rockstar, I currently use the Simoniz wash and wax soap with my suburu electric/gas pressure washer. I think its at 1900 or higher, definitely helps get the grit off, but I will most likely switch soaps after I'm done with my current one. And yeah im enjoying the summer toys, definitely scratch the "itch"

looks good man!
definitely play with your car wash settings more, i use a garden hose and foam gun (opposed to pressure water and foam canon) and i get way more foam action on my car which i shouldn't. what soap are you using? some soaps foam way better than others.

for your cargo net there's a better way to make it functional, if you want that. see the two attachment cords that you have angling back towards the rear of the car? move those to the attachment points on the roof of the trunk, and the two that you have on the roof of your trunk move those to the sides of the car and your cargo net will be very functional and can hold bags of groceries, etc because it's a very tight enclosed "net". see my picture below, i can put lots of "loose items" back there and they are held very well:

thanks for that cargo net pic sockr, im going to mess around with my net configuration later on, right now the way I have it works well for me, but ill give your method a shot if I find myself needing more space.

Originally Posted by lights
OG, if you haven't noticed we have a local acura group here in Vancouver, BC.
You have so much more to mod for your TL. PM me for more details if you want explore our local group.
Just shoot me a PM, I'm usually pretty busy with home and work life so I doubt ill be able to make it out to meets or anything, but never say never!
and about modding, Im pretty much done for a bit, maintenance is all done, and I don't see myself doing anything drastic cosmetically besides wheels and a drop, although the post sockr made about the tablet install is intriguing!

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also have the pressure switches on hand, need to get those swapped in shortly. And I also ordered a set of lug nuts from endless, mine were rusted and were beginning to become impossible to remove without the gun, looking forward to the new lugs and a bit of added color to the stock wheels.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow screw the TL look at that bike

that color looks awesome
Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not really an update, car is basically sitting in the same state as my last post...........
I went away with the wife this weekend to a local island and was able to get a single shot of the TL.......captured this on my phone.......sorry for the quality and dirty car.

While on the island, I had the opportunity to really push the throttle on the TL (I've only done this on very rare occasions....im talking 6k rpms fyi)
I must say, I was quite impressed with the TL's "bite" and handling.

Finally, I've been putting off the pressure switches but I started noticing harsher shifts beginning to occur, during and after my spirited driving. So the switches are next on the list.....hoping to get to that in a week or so.......stay tuned for more random pics
Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 PM

Old 08-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
Nice build, poor car has been through a lot lol
Old 08-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 269 Posts
Looks great man! Clean build. I was thinking about that resonator and mid-muffler delete too. Wheels in the future?
Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Nice build, poor car has been through a lot lol
LOL yeah car has definitely had its ups and downs. I started off thinking I could have a perfect car (cosmetically), I realized after some time that its impossible to accomplish.
Even through the bad stuff, I still love my car, and I'd like to think the hardships give it character lol.

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Looks great man! Clean build. I was thinking about that resonator and mid-muffler delete too. Wheels in the future?
Definitely do the stage 3 mod if your looking to change up the exhaust note. I love it and cannot wait until the colder months for those deeper exhaust tones (on startup).
I constantly go back and forth on ideas of what wheels I want. I definitely lean towards a clean 5 spoke design, just have to actually pick a wheel and then figure out tire size and offset etc.
I think ill probably end up running an 18 inch on a 245 tire, possibly 245-30-18?
I don't plant on dropping the car, so the beefier tire will help eliminate some wheel gap.........just sooo many things to understand and figure out!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's been 2 months exactly since my last post.....

First thing up is a new (to me) set of wheels. Picked them up off a family member who ran them as his winters. I decided to run them as my summer wheels because I loved the gunmetal finish with WDP.
They are a bit smaller than our stock size, these are 17x7 off an accord.
If I don't end up purchasing another set of wheels next summer, the plan is to run spacers with these next year.

Second on the list, was a thorough strip wash, followed up by a clay bar, sealant and then topped off with Pete's 52 wax application.
It took me quite a while as I did everything by hand, but I stretched it over multiple days in order to get a thorough and somewhat satisfying job done.
I wanted to protect the paint before winter officially hits here on the west coast. Car also hit a milestone of 175km

Finally, my cousin had been searching for a TL for months and we eventually came across one we decided to pull the trigger on.
Its on 08, with 120,000km on the clock. Car doesn't have nav, but he plans on doing a tablet install in the near future.
Body and interior needs some work, but for the price it was a steal of a deal and I can't wait to start modding this thing.

Sorry for the lack of pics, I'll try to snap a few more if the weather permits
Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Awesome man! Looks good with the new wheels.

What resonator did you use on your exhaust?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Awesome man! Looks good with the new wheels.

What resonator did you use on your exhaust?
Thanks for the kind words, I definitely want to go bigger in the future, but for now they do the job just fine

The resonator I went with is: Dynomax 24215

here's the thread I followed before I made my decision:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...4215-a-958030/
Old 09-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Forgot to attach this one in my previous post.......love
how the wax brings out that deep shine
Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 AM

EP3 HFP wheels?
Old 09-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

EP3 HFP wheels?
I honestly have no idea......all I was told was these wheels are usually on Honda accords....
Old 09-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Gotcha, the accord HFP maybe...are they 19"
Old 09-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MyGuti
Thanks for the kind words, I definitely want to go bigger in the future, but for now they do the job just fine

The resonator I went with is: Dynomax 24215

here's the thread I followed before I made my decision:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...4215-a-958030/

Nice. I like the mid pipe and resonator delete. I didn't want to spend $900+ on an exhaust. That's way too much. And it sounds great too. I'm trying to figure out if the red TL-S in that first vid has the rear mufflers deleted too. Gonna have to check out the vid on YouTube and check out the comment section. Lol.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Gotcha, the accord HFP maybe...are they 19"
I wish they were 19s!, sadly they are 17's lol

Nice. I like the mid pipe and resonator delete. I didn't want to spend $900+ on an exhaust. That's way too much. And it sounds great too. I'm trying to figure out if the red TL-S in that first vid has the rear mufflers deleted too. Gonna have to check out the vid on YouTube and check out the comment section. Lol.
yeah the stage 3 mod is pretty good IMO. I agree, I would never spend that kind of money on a muffler modification.
I don't think that guy has his rear mufflers deleted, if you have a type-s the stage 3 mod may be more pronounced due to the dual mufflers?
Old 09-30-2017, 12:39 PM

if that's the case, i think they are the hfp for the 04 ep3 si.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Team Owner

Nice shot.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Some random shots from a couple days ago....can you spot the rainbow?

Patiently waiting for my shocks to go out, so I can buy teins and lower this thing
Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 AM

nice shot.
MyGuti (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Love that first pic!
MyGuti (10-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Guti's '07 WDP Slow Build Thread (Updated 4/8/2018)