Gingerbeard Johnny's 3G TL Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys.

I've been a member for a number of years and haven't taken the time to write up a build thread. I'm actively engaged on the 3G TL Facebook Group and enjoy seeing everyone's builds.I'm also an Admin for a local group Utah Acurazine. I've had the car for a while now and have done enough that it's probably time I wrote about my own car haha.

I purchased an 06 WDP TL about a year ago with 125,000 miles after having owned a 2G TL for several years. I'll post some pictures and insert a little bit of my build details. Comments welcome!
Day I brought her home. Completely Stock minus painted Patrick Stars and some Depot Tails.

I had some 18x8.5 Aspecs leftover from my 2G build so I painted and mounted them up.

Severely pitted and chipped bumper that needed to be swapped out asap. Sanded, buffed, and cleared headlights was much needed. Don't have a decent before photo

Local Import Spring Showoff Show with the Utah Acurazine Crew about a week after I bought it

Black Housing was the next order of business. Who doesn't love DIY's?!

Installed. New bumper painted and installed. Color is off and still bugs me to this day....

Gas Station Shot

Needed 'some' low and picked these up

Installed

Sometime between I've picked up OEM visors, painted Aspecs Satin Black, and straight piped my exhaust. Went w/ a rear/mid delete to 4 inch tips and kept the stock resonator. Considered swapping it out to a Dynamax, but haven't pulled the trigger to date haha. Finished the tips with Satin Black High Temp Engine Enamel. I've got a video clip somewhere, but we're all aware of what this setup sounds like.

Got my roof wrapped in gloss black vinyl from a buddy. Looks KILLER

Local Acura Meetup

Picked up some Matte Gunmetal TSW Nurburgring Wheels. F 18x8.5 +40 R 18x9 +45 Running 245 40 18 all around. Wheels had some minor rash but I addressed that later on another weekend DIY. Forgot to mention within the first couple weeks of owning it, I had my front windows tinted at 20% and a 5% tint strip added up front. Makes the hot weather so much easier to deal with haha.

Utah Acurazine Group Shot w/ Admins up Front. I'm left center in first photo.

Make your own Sharkmouth Grill?? Why not haha..... still working out the kinks. In addition to an 11-14 STI CS Type 1 Splitter Installation

Installed. Looks mean!!

Redid my black housing and re cleared the lenses

HIC Roof Spoiler added. Wheels painted copper. All black DEPO tails.
Gunmetal Wheels. Endless RPM tow hook. Wash, clay bar, wax, etc.
Lexus IS250 Rear DiffuserPosted up at Sundance for a date with my wife. Had to turn around and snap a picture haha!

Sonic Run w/ the fellas...

ROLLERS w/ my wife driving. I was driving Tow Truck at this time, made for lots of fun stories

The Rig
That's not a lane bro....
3AM call that night
Medians with curbs are NOT your friend Sonata...
This was fun to winch up on my truck
Just a BIT big....
Fun ones to tow
Stroker anyone??
Wet weather. Dark nights. Young girl. Construction. Dispatch said it shouldn't be too bad, she'd like to maybe drive it home. Not today sweetheart!!
Now where did I put that piece of my wheel?????

Bye wood grain!!

Black Housing I did for a local buddy
Got Acuras???

Test fit some Accord Wheels
Halos??

Wired these up and installed them one weekend. Fun experience!

I've come full circle haha. Traded my TSW's for some Patrick Stars and $400 cash on top. I couldn't pass it up.

Bought some new Form & Function Coilovers locally for the money and you can see the results below.

Form & Function Coilovers= DUMPED. Although I was not happy with the ride quality. I ended up selling them within a month and reverted back to stock suspension with winter looming.... But here's some shots while they were installed.

I ended up selling nearly all my parts. Visors, roof spoiler, diffuser, coils etc.

Starting over now that Spring is nearly here and excited to build it up again.
Attached Thumbnails Gingerbeard Johnny's 3G TL Build Thread-20160318_132640_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-13-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Starting Over...

Recently ordered and installed Tein Street Advance Z coilovers from Bruce and Endless and am beyond satisfied with the build and ride quality.

I'm taking some decent pictures today and will post them later today.

Again, comments are welcome.

Thanks for stopping by!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Late to the 3G Party

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Very nice progress so far. I too made the switch from a 2G to a 3G about a year ago. Keep it up!
The following users liked this post:
johnnyboy_webster (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdnborg
Very nice progress so far. I too made the switch from a 2G to a 3G about a year ago. Keep it up!
Thank you!

I've read through your thread before and your car looks awesome, keep up the good work! #goals
Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
awesome! especially loved the tow-rig stories/pics!!

should create a thread in car talk, detailing your experience with tows! would be a super fun read with pics!!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Car looks great! I like the TSW wheels too. My one nag about it would be the exhaust tips. I'd prefer them flush or 1/2 inch past the bumper. Just my
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
nice read. I like your car on the OEM starfish 17s and the accord wheels.

I'm sorry but That mismatch is hideous and these types of horror stories with WDP paint will forever deter me from buying WDP..

I had a 2g WDP Type S and it was the same thing, half the car was a diff colour.. My buddy has a wdp TSX and its the same shit too.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
I'm sorry but That mismatch is hideous and these types of horror stories with WDP paint will forever deter me from buying WDP.
I think that is like that with every color. Seems to me that the paint takes a different color on metal vs plastic (i.e. Front bumper, Side skirts, Rear Bumper) My KBP rear bumper seems to be a different color than the doors. Even on my old SSM the rear bumper was slightly off.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
. damn man that sucks and would drive me nuts...a good painter/shop should be able to blend it to the point where its not noticeable. Ive only seen this issue on WDP personally. silvers do tend to do this as well.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Great shots!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work man

Hey bro I'm alil slow I'm really liking the Front lip what type is it I have a Acura TL 04 modded what type did you have and will it fit my 04 and what type of lights are those and also will they fit on 04 TL
Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
. damn man that sucks and would drive me nuts...a good painter/shop should be able to blend it to the point where its not noticeable. Ive only seen this issue on WDP personally. silvers do tend to do this as well.
unfortunately even a good painter won't be able to fix the mismatch. the problem lies in how the paint "sits" on different surfaces, in this case: plastic vs metal. This is why the paint colour varies on the bottom half of the car opposed to the upper portion. Acura's are not the only vehicles that are victims of this, but it is annoying af
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
awesome! especially loved the tow-rig stories/pics!!

should create a thread in car talk, detailing your experience with tows! would be a super fun read with pics!!
I'll gather some more of them up and write it up. thanks for the recommendation!

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Car looks great! I like the TSW wheels too. My one nag about it would be the exhaust tips. I'd prefer them flush or 1/2 inch past the bumper. Just my
I'm actually picking up another set of these TSW's here again this week. Looking forward to it! The exhaust isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm happy with them haha. Thanks for commenting!

Originally Posted by Donnie Coleman
Hey bro I'm alil slow I'm really liking the Front lip what type is it I have a Acura TL 04 modded what type did you have and will it fit my 04 and what type of lights are those and also will they fit on 04 TL
All good man. That front splitter is made from an 11-14 STI CS Type 1. I took the front bumper off used a heat gun and molded it to bumper. You'll end up with about two inches of overhang on either side. So I dremeled them off and sanded them down. It'll fit your 04 for sure.

If you're talking headlights. Headlights are stock headlights blackhoused by me and with projector halos wired and installed by me.

Taillights are DEPO.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Great shots!
It's a rarity trust me!! Hahaha I got lucky with the phone that day, but thank you.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-15-2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-use the Multi-Quote button (middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
good progress!!

Originally Posted by johnnyboy_webster
I'm actually picking up another set of these TSW's here again this week. Looking forward to it! The exhaust isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm happy with them haha. Thanks for commenting!
which tsw wheels are you getting? i currently run the tsw nurburgring too! but i'm running 18x9 +32 with 235/40 tires, love them, so lightweight!

Originally Posted by johnnyboy_webster
All good man. That front splitter is made from an 11-14 STI CS Type 1. I took the front bumper off used a heat gun and molded it to bumper. You'll end up with about two inches of overhang on either side. So I dremeled them off and sanded them down. It'll fit your 04 for sure.
looks good! do you have a specific ebay link? how did you mount it up specifically and why did you paint it (what color did you do, gloss black)? thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Gumball Rally Special

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice thread and a sweet looking ride!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sockr1
good progress!!

which tsw wheels are you getting? i currently run the tsw nurburgring too! but i'm running 18x9 +32 with 235/40 tires, love them, so lightweight!

looks good! do you have a specific ebay link? how did you mount it up specifically and why did you paint it (what color did you do, gloss black)? thanks!
Thank you!

I'm getting TSW Nurburgring's again haha. I love the look, found a local set in great shape, and have a buyer for my Patrick Stars, so my out of pocket is going to be minimal haha #winning. Same specs as yours but matte gunmetal finish and will be running same size tires as well.

I've gone through your thread several times before and remembered you had them and were on coils. So after I found them yesterday, I had to go over your thread again and lust after how it looks. Seeing your wheel finish on WDP tempts me to powdercoat them in a similar color.

As for the lip, I wasn't too fond of the flat plastic look, so I prepped it and went with gloss black engine enamel. I've since sold it and am going to another splitter here soon after I get my wheels mounted. Link for what i used is below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371068247934

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by Lie-Low
Nice thread and a sweet looking ride!
Thank you!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-15-2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-14-2017, 06:14 PM
3 2 GONE

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts
i like your car!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
awesome progress
Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 PM
Team Owner

Keep going!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Advanced

New Wheel Setup!

I picked up some wheels locally that are nearly brand new. Guy ran them on his Evo X for only 2000 miles, with zero rash or blemishes. Specs are more aggressive than I've ever attempted running in the past, but I'm excited to get tires mounted this coming week and get them installed.

XXR 550 in matte black
18x9.75 +19
Most likely going to run Nankang NS20 225 40 18

Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Thats an aggressive wheel! Can't wait to see how they fit!
Old 03-19-2017, 12:59 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the black housing work you did on those Tl headlights deft a great mod.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hmbls1
I love the black housing work you did on those Tl headlights deft a great mod.
Thank you! I've done them about five times in different variations haha. Probably going to fab up another set here soon as well.

Thats an aggressive wheel! Can't wait to see how they fit!
You and me both!! Finding time to roll fenders this week and should have tires by the weekend. Hopefully it's all dialed in over the next week to two weeks. Just in time for a big local show

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-20-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote Button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

The wheels look good-can't wait to see them on the car.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Picked up some local waffles w/ tires at 60-70% for $280 They have some rash, but that's nothing I'm nervous about fixing. I've done it before and they'll look perfect before long. I'll probably get them powder coated soon as well.

I decided I didn't want to run stretched tires so I sold my XXR's and ended up making some money.

I need to detail it and get some proper photos taken. Before that, I'm going to lower my coils a bit more overall. I think it'll look much better. I'm also planning on picking up some spacers, 15mm F and 20mm R. Stay tuned!!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Safety Car

Good choice on selling the wheels. There are better choices out there that will be more forgiving! Great pick up on the waffles!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Nice man! Those xxrs were going to be way too much work since they were so wide

What color powder coat are you thinking?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Advanced

Good choice on selling the wheels. There are better choices out there that will be more forgiving! Great pick up on the waffles!
I feel much better about it haha. Definitely excited about picking these up for a good deal!

Nice man! Those xxrs were going to be way too much work since they were so wide

What color powder coat are you thinking?
Yes they were! Too much work honestly haha. Plus I can always flip these waffles in the future to someone who might want them should I stumble on some wheels I HAVE to have.

I'm thinking of just a darker charcoal, maybe bronze? However, the contrast w/ dark and white on my car stays along w/ my build. So I'll probably stay in line w/ that haha. Time will tell

I still need to measure where I'm currently sitting. That being said, I think a little lower all around and spacers will give me a good fit.

With a 15mm up front and 20mm in the rear, I should only have to roll my fenders.

If the weather cooperates, I'll lower it in the next two days. I'm also contemplating taking my headlights apart again and redoing a few things. Still trying to track down some amber diffusers haha.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-30-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote Button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

^^ you most likely won't have to roll with oem wheels on 15 and 20mm spacers. Very common setup
Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced

^^ you most likely won't have to roll with oem wheels on 15 and 20mm spacers. Very common setup
Bueno!!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
John
Love the thread my fellow Ginger!! Love seeing the progress of these cars. There is no better community out here than the 3rd Gen TL
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Waffles

Finally a decent shot

Thanks to my wife!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM
Advanced

Well..... As great as the Waffles were.

They had rash and I'd have to fix them before a local show next week. I got a text from a local guy to trade them for his MB Battles 18x9.5 +23. I've always thought these wheels looked SICK, and these only had two areas of blemish. I gave him $100 on top and we called it good. I'm rolling rears tonight and will try to get some more pictures posted in the next few days.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Order an A-spec Kit stat! Looks good!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

lol! isn't that like 4 wheels in two weeks?

fender roll is needed and you'll have to cut your fender tabs probably. i'm guessing you're running 225 tires
Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Advanced

lol! isn't that like 4 wheels in two weeks?

fender roll is needed and you'll have to cut your fender tabs probably. i'm guessing you're running 225 tires
Including my stocks I started w/ that's five haha. Oh well, I came out on top! Haha

Yep running 225 40 18. Working on fenders tonight or tomorrow after work. Local show is next Sunday.

Order an A-spec Kit stat! Looks good!
I definitely need to!!

Thank you very much

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-31-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote Button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:51 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
Great thread brotha - nice work on the mods - tastefully done! I would've worked the XXRs - i'm currently running 18x10 +25 without much issues - I did have to roll and slightly pull - but much prefer having the slight poke on the overall stance. good looks on picking up the Battles - much better than the waffles! Will be looking forward to the future build progress!

p.s. send a smothered chile verde burrito over here to Florida please
Old 03-31-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
I would ditch the tow hook, but great progress so far! hop on the A-Spec kit ASAP!

Your car on the A-Specs reminded me of this one from years ago

Old 04-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boosejars
Great thread brotha - nice work on the mods - tastefully done! I would've worked the XXRs - i'm currently running 18x10 +25 without much issues - I did have to roll and slightly pull - but much prefer having the slight poke on the overall stance. good looks on picking up the Battles - much better than the waffles! Will be looking forward to the future build progress!

p.s. send a smothered chile verde burrito over here to Florida please
@Boosejars

Thank you, I appreciate that! I considered keeping them and going with it. The Poke is Muoy Bueno

As we all know a car is NEVER 'done' haha so stay tuned, much more to come.

PS: Coming right up!