Fellow TLers, does this look right?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
reading the DIY's is a LOT more complex than just getting in there and look and turn the wrench. Trust me...
All in all...the fronts are 6 bolts to take off the strut bar, 3 bolts for the top of the front struts and 2 for the bottom, then compress spring and 1 nut, swap tophat...
Use a second jack to raise lower assembly to line up holes to reinstall and don't be shy with jiggling around (just don't break the CV boot)
Rear is only 2 bolts on top and 1 on the bottom.

THAT'S it! Easy!

Anyway, gotta start somewhere...ask Santa for a good 100 piece craftsman mechanic's set. You really only need 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17 and 19MM sockets for the ENTIRE car.

Anyway back on topic,
I agree that you don't NEED it for the airflow...but if you stand 15 feet in front of your car and look at it, visually, without it it LOOKS like the front is offroading in relation to the rest of the car sitting low (illusion, not actual)...the TL, to me, is the best car for ground clearance in relation to tire/fender and dropping it that I've ever had.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger555
You sir are wrong. Think about this example your driving over a dip in the road, your suspensions compresses and the deflector bottoms out, further compression would have caused your entire lip from bottoming out. True at some point while backing out of a drive way if your suspension in not compressing then your screwed either way
Further compression will bottom your lip out, and not just the deflector piece. You think it's to protect your car from scraping because you always scrap that piece. I scrape that piece as well as my front lip a few times.

Agree to dissagree.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockstar143
reading the DIY's is a LOT more complex than just getting in there and look and turn the wrench. Trust me...
All in all...the fronts are 6 bolts to take off the strut bar, 3 bolts for the top of the front struts and 2 for the bottom, then compress spring and 1 nut, swap tophat...
Use a second jack to raise lower assembly to line up holes to reinstall and don't be shy with jiggling around (just don't break the CV boot)
Rear is only 2 bolts on top and 1 on the bottom.

THAT'S it! Easy!

Anyway, gotta start somewhere...ask Santa for a good 100 piece craftsman mechanic's set. You really only need 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17 and 19MM sockets for the ENTIRE car.

Anyway back on topic,
I agree that you don't NEED it for the airflow...but if you stand 15 feet in front of your car and look at it, visually, without it it LOOKS like the front is offroading in relation to the rest of the car sitting low (illusion, not actual)...the TL, to me, is the best car for ground clearance in relation to tire/fender and dropping it that I've ever had.
I think I got the craftsman mechanic's set covered already. I have a lot of tools lying around somewhere and pretty sure this DIY isn't all that hard. But the DIY for the suspensions that you mentioned up there totally blown my head off. I shall ask AZINE for help when the time comes to do my own coils but as of now, I don't even know what a strut bar, or struts are. That's how sad it is for me

What happened to your air deflector after you lowered your car, does it scrape everywhere you go? lolz
Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
lmaoooooooo i guess since i dont have these 2 plastic pieces on my car my car is going to melt and explode from over heating....

in no way am i car expert but its pretty hard to believe these flimsy things are going to prevent my car from overheating...

its been almost 6 months and my temps still stay the same
Old 12-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
This is NOT a good idea.
I totally agree. This will make and audible scratch noise so u don't keep going to hear a scratching noise from the suspension going over the concrete. Now that said your a-spec lip is lower than that so by the time something hits that to make a noise, you've already damaged your lip.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by mrlal8
lmaoooooooo i guess since i dont have these 2 plastic pieces on my car my car is going to melt and explode from over heating....

in no way am i car expert but its pretty hard to believe these flimsy things are going to prevent my car from overheating...

its been almost 6 months and my temps still stay the same
You also could probably take off two lug nuts from each wheel and still be able to drive it, so obviously three lug nuts on each wheel is just fine. What the hell was Acura thinking? The point is, its there for a reason. You took it off and nothing happened, cool. Now excuse me while I go put a plastic bag over my front grille to see if my car overheats. I'll report back.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
You also could probably take off two lug nuts from each wheel and still be able to drive it, so obviously three lug nuts on each wheel is just fine. What the hell was Acura thinking? The point is, its there for a reason. You took it off and nothing happened, cool. Now excuse me while I go put a plastic bag over my front grille to see if my car overheats. I'll report back.
Love your straight talk sarcasm. My mom thinks i'm arogent for doing the same thin... oh well...lol. But on a serious not could you i/m me? aim- anfbro25/yim- anfbro27
Old 01-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
looks a little off to me. hmm