ebelp's Progress Thread (WDP Hotness) New Wheel Update 5/29/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by sourial84
did u do any mods today it was 60°F to day in nj
I did actually. Observe:

Custom V1 mirror mount from ebay. Freaking sweet. Going to hardwire it this weekend. Bought some tools to help with trim pieces so I don't have to keep using butter knives.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
haha that's what i've been using too, a butter knife.

did you buy those trim removal tools locally or online?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

haha...a bunch of our butter knives in the silverware drawer are bent at the tip because of me...woops

I got them here:
Amazon Amazon

Cheap!
The following users liked this post:
sbuoy (04-07-2016)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Hey I took this from SharksBreaths progress thread why dont you try doing this it was on page 17
Originally Posted by SharksBreath

**alright a little update, last night i decided to tackle something that i'd wanted to do for a long time. hardwire the V1 detector/concealed display (with a twist)**

first things first. tape off and trace the area you want to cut.

trace area with exacto knife and remove styrofoam padding.

grab your dremel and start cutting...no turning back now! (thanks dave!)

cut all the fine inner edges with your knife so the display fits in snug.

display fits like a glove. hardwire the V1 to the display and tap your positive wire onto fuse#24 (this allows you to turn your detector on and off with a push of a button...in this case, your window lock button. it also turns off automatically when you turn your car off). ground your black wire to any exposed screw and tighten down...(i used the trunk release screw).

you have to remove the a-pillar in order to snake the wire to your v1 unit which got mounted under the tint band on the right hand side of the rear view mirror. just press the wire into the headliner for a clean, wire-free install. dont' have any pics of this...sorry.

sbuoy (04-07-2016)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
That is friggin AWESOME...I'd rather cut into the bottom portion though...where the switches are located since that would be a LOT cheaper to replace if/when the time comes to sell. Plus, FL is not an illegal to have radar detector State.

John, looking good...when we gettin them spacers on, brother?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Originally Posted by rockstar143
That is friggin AWESOME...I'd rather cut into the bottom portion though...where the switches are located since that would be a LOT cheaper to replace if/when the time comes to sell. Plus, FL is not an illegal to have radar detector State.

True, the bottom section would be easier to replace, however, that top area right below the vent is in perfect view and so easy to see. I'm sending off my concealed display to have it "upgraded" with the Full Color Defense mod, so I pretty much have to use it now hehe. Radar detectors are legal in NY also, so I don't mind having the main unit hidden, I just want to use the concealed display as an easier way to reach the mute button. I'd like to be able to have both displays working at the same time, but from what I've read, it's either one or the other. Here's the concealed mod I just paid for:

Jeremy, if all the snow melts by this weekend (in the process of getting about 3" right now), I'd like to at least throw the front spacers on because I don't think I'll have any rubbing issues. The rears are another story...I don't have access to a fender roller, and I'm 99% sure that the tire will be right against the unmodified fender after I add the 20mm spacer. Maybe I'll have to invest in a Dremel and just cut the dang fenders. Hmm...

Last edited by ebelp; 02-29-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
damn nice....I didnt know NY was one of the states where Radar detectors are illegal....i know VA is....

but that install looks awesome....that looks like a perfect place to mount as its concealed at the same time pretty out there so you can see/hear the radar detector....
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Originally Posted by swoosh
damn nice....I didnt know NY was one of the states where Radar detectors are illegal....i know VA is....
Radar detectors are legal in NY...not illegal.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ aaah.....i thought you were doing this mod to "hide" it....
Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM

WOW...so it's an aftermarket company that does that mod? Or Valentine directly...I'd be worried about it voiding warranty on it (or lifetime upgrade possibility).

Looks cool though!

Let the tires do the rolling for you!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ aaah.....i thought you were doing this mod to "hide" it....
No, I just want to use the concealed display's mute function so I don't have to reach over my head to use the main unit's mute button.

WOW...so it's an aftermarket company that does that mod? Or Valentine directly...I'd be worried about it voiding warranty on it (or lifetime upgrade possibility).

Looks cool though!

Let the tires do the rolling for you!
Yeah, it's a 3rd-party place that does it. I paid $60 with shipping to have them modify my display and mail it back to me. They also sell concealed displays that are pre-modified for like $100 on their site, but they have them on ebay for cheaper. Here's their site: http://www.fullcolordefense.com/home.html

haha....not sure I'd trust my snow tires to safely roll my fenders. They have so much grip they'd probably rip holes in my fenders as soon as they rubbed LOL
sbuoy (04-07-2016)
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to the site and i've been following a lot of these photograph threads lately and i've decided to purchase myself a TL within the next month or two. i really like the white diamond SH edition of the car so i think thats the route im gonna take.

car looks sweet man
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts

yeah i know what you mean, but like another poster said...it's in my perfect line of vision where it is. if it was on the lower panel i wouldn't be able to see it AND that plasitc material down there is so thin, it wouldnot be able to house the concelead display properly. the padded area up top holds it in place perfectly because it's thick and foam insulated.

besides...never selling this car. i've done way too much to it at this point. gonna drive this thing into the ground.

john, i sort'of wanted the different colored concealed display myself. did you just buy the one off eBay for $70 or whatever it costs? or are you having your original one manipulated? i'd like to have different colors for different radar bands...makes it easier to distinguish at night time.

**EDIT. just reread your posts.**

Last edited by SharksBreath; 03-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Originally Posted by theedeadmau5
new to the site and i've been following a lot of these photograph threads lately and i've decided to purchase myself a TL within the next month or two. i really like the white diamond SH edition of the car so i think thats the route im gonna take.

car looks sweet man
Thanks! Glad you made your first post in my progress thread!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

john, i sort'of wanted the different colored concealed display myself. did you just buy the one off eBay for $70 or whatever it costs? or are you having your original one manipulated? i'd like to have different colors for different radar bands...makes it easier to distinguish at night time.

**EDIT. just reread your posts.**
Yeah, getting the existing one modified. I'm going to try out the lower pocket for the concealed display first and see how well the color-coded band LED's work in my peripheral vision. If it's still too hard to see, I may have to copy your idea. By the way, do you have any more pictures of your concealed display from farther away?

EDIT: Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may! What'd ya say?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by ebelp
Yeah, getting the existing one modified. I'm going to try out the lower pocket for the concealed display first and see how well the color-coded band LED's work in my peripheral vision. If it's still too hard to see, I may have to copy your idea. By the way, do you have any more pictures of your concealed display from farther away?

EDIT: Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may! What'd ya say?
billy,

here you go.

if i were you, i would just do it like i did IF you plan on keeping the car forever. like J mentioned, it's kind'of permanent.

i believe i'm the 1st one to do this, you could be number 2. you alright being #2 buddy?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM

But it being permanently placed there puts it RIGHT in the cops line of sight too, no?!?! Isn't that part of the reason for the concealed?

HAPPY GILMORE~! Sorry, nobody mentioned the reference...
...I was just looking for my bottle...oh, there it is...and there's some more of it on the floor.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM
BANNED

...I was just looking for my bottle...oh, there it is...and there's some more of it on the floor.
crap.

i said "billy" for billy madison.

oh well, fucked that one up.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

But it being permanently placed there puts it RIGHT in the cops line of sight too, no?!?! Isn't that part of the reason for the concealed?

It shouldn't be in the line of sight if the cop is in his car. If he has you pulled over and it standing at your door, that's another story.

crap.

i said "billy" for billy madison.

oh well, fucked that one up.
LMAO. I knew what you meant...and yes, I'm okay with being #2. I'm just worried about not cutting the hole straight or cutting it too big or both...
Old 03-02-2012, 01:21 PM

LOL...and I TOTALLY missed that too...
PS, you want some of this here milk?!! It can be OUUUUR milk.
Billy, no milk will EVER be our milk.
What about you sideburns you want some milk?
I'd Rather have a beer.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

bahaha
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
BANNED

It shouldn't be in the line of sight if the cop is in his car. If he has you pulled over and it standing at your door, that's another story.

LMAO. I knew what you meant...and yes, I'm okay with being #2. I'm just worried about not cutting the hole straight or cutting it too big or both...
true about the line of sight thing. besides, they won't even know what it is...unless they have prior knowledge of v1 displays. it blends in real well with the dash. plus i always turn my car off when i get pulled over OR just hit the window switch and the lights turn off.

don't worry about not cutting straight...just follow my direction. trace it and cut inside the lines. it should fit very snug.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM

why don't you just ship your dash to Sharky and have him do it!?!?

Ok...anyone for the scene "good news ladies and gentlemen, arts and crafts has been extended by 4 HOURS today..."
Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

don't worry about not cutting straight...just follow my direction. trace it and cut inside the lines. it should fit very snug.
So it's just wedged in there? It's not held in by any adhesives?

Speaking of adhesives....before I go blow $20 on a tube of 3M Window Weld, are there any other options for mounting my roof spoiler to the back glass? I just searched through 4 pages of "roof spoiler" threads and didn't see anything helpful...
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 PM
BANNED

why don't you just ship your dash to Sharky and have him do it!?!?

Ok...anyone for the scene "good news ladies and gentlemen, arts and crafts has been extended by 4 HOURS today..."
yeah good luck ripping that thing out!

So it's just wedged in there? It's not held in by any adhesives?

Speaking of adhesives....before I go blow $20 on a tube of 3M Window Weld, are there any other options for mounting my roof spoiler to the back glass? I just searched through 4 pages of "roof spoiler" threads and didn't see anything helpful...
yup just wedged in. i traced the outline and cut inside the lines so it was a teeny tiny bit smaller. fits like a glove.

for the spoiler, i used window weld AND 3m double sided tape (the red kind) and it is stuck on there for life.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Window weld...I covered the top of the tube when I was done filling in my lower control arm bushings...
Yeah, that thing is ONE TIME USE. The tip dried, poked thru that and the whole tube was solid.

Super expensive...
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Aren't you supposed to lubricate LCA bushings? What did you use Window Weld on them for?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
hey just wanted to say thanks for posting that link of the switchbacks from ebay I bought a pair today 120 smd now lol all I need to do is get clear or type s diffuseres hope your modding tomorrow it is going to be 65° and sunny in nj so I am finally going to install my p2r and CAI tomorrow
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Originally Posted by sourial84
hey just wanted to say thanks for posting that link of the switchbacks from ebay I bought a pair today 120 smd now lol all I need to do is get clear or type s diffuseres hope your modding tomorrow it is going to be 65° and sunny in nj so I am finally going to install my p2r and CAI tomorrow
No problem, I love my 120-LED switchbacks. Post pics of yours!

Yesterday was beautiful...my original plan was to put my Works on my car, but I ran into some wheel lock issues. Apparently the tire shop that put on my winter tires didn't torque the lugs to spec, so as soon as I tried to loosen the lock on the front/driver wheel, the inside of the key just disintegrated. At first I thought my McGard key just shit the bed, so I ordered a replacement and the exact same thing happened to the 2nd key...completely destroyed it. I was so pissed....that was yesterday (Sunday), so this morning I took my car to the tire shop and they had to get the lock off with an extractor tool.

On a more positive note, since I couldn't do anything that involved removing the wheels, I put on my roof spoiler. Install went smooth minus the mess I made with the 3M Window Weld. It literally took me longer to clean the excess adhesive off the glass and spoiler than it did to install the thing. Anyway, the end result is nice. The spoiler is subtle, but adds an aggressive edge to the whole look of the car.

iPhone shots:

Also got a new toy this weekend, thanks to suggestions and advice from Aaron (sharksbreath):

I recorded a couple simple vids just to test it out...nothing special, but I'll try to share them once I get them on youtube.

ALSO...waiting for the mailman to deliver my modified V1 concealed display today. More pics to come...
The following 2 users liked this post by ebelp:
sbuoy (04-07-2016), veggiemonster (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM

Looking at the HERO too...at his suggestion. It look awesome to share some video of Markham park bike rides and/or car stuff.

PS, looking good, man...love that visor.

The window weld is meant to strengthen the oem lca's for the older TL's...I did it to mine too...the oem one had totally torn. Hoping the window weld would keep it from recracking.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Roof spoiler looks good

You'll have fun with the GoPro. Upload what you have!
veggiemonster (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
go pro! go pro! go pro!

i want to see. i want to steal.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Yes. I want.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Sean wants to steal...better lock her up!

Nice vid, dude...wow.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

lol don't steal my GoPro...me likes it. I uploaded another vid earlier, but youtube has been "processing" it forever....I'll post it asap.

My concealed display just came! Unboxing it now...
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Drifting

yes, hide it

looks boss. wouldn't have guessed you as a #1 clipper kinda guy John
CLtotheTL32 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

aaaaand the annoyances continue...

So like I mentioned, I had the wire for the concealed display run already, it's all tucked away and ziptied so all I had to do was plug it in (I have the wire run to the lower console pocket next to the cigarette lighter). So I plug it in....nothing. I know the telephone wire I used is good because I tested it on the V1 and it powered up fine. However, when I tried one of the short cords that came with the V1, the concealed display will power up fine. So the generic phone cord I have is definitely the problem, but I don't understand why it will power up the V1, but not the concealed display. Guess I'll be going to Radio Shack on my lunch break...
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
looks boss. wouldn't have guessed you as a #1 clipper kinda guy John
haha good guess. #1 clipper is correct. What did you think I looked like???
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Drifting

idk...i thought you were asian of some variation...maybe like this

Quick Reply: ebelp's Progress Thread (WDP Hotness) New Wheel Update 5/29/15