Death Metal's Journey (a DIY'ers Worklog for TL Perfection!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Painting the shoes?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Painting the shoes?

OMG, HOW DID YOU GUESS

Yes, time to paint zee shoes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Whoa ur painting them a shiny gold?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
You are going to remove an aircraft!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by bzyrice
Whoa ur painting them a shiny gold?
No, no, no, OMG, no! While the cap depicts a more mirror like gold, the final finish is far from it. The gold, however, favor more yellow then orange, which is what I am seeking (after about a 3 month review of about 6 different gold possibilities)

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
You are going to remove an aircraft!
Scrap for parts
Continue modding

Who's with me?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Dan truly is the "Fearless DIY Guy"!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 AM
OOOOOH

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I say do the gold chrome.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DM, your hitting all the mods I've planned to do which has made it infinitely easier to plan and create! Thanks for the great DIYs. Yesterday I received my bag of 100 hundred water clear leds which makes me want to light off all my fireworks for one grand finally so I can start modding immediately.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

wow incredible. i love the switches and the ass of your car haha so did you intentionally plan on matching your car with your house? Btw any pics of how the gold would look like? I recently painted my stockies the duplicolor bronze.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
wow very impressed by your work. also very unique TL.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 AM
HI HATER i love you to.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
good job bro....
Old 07-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Just a quick update, fellas, thanks for the comments as always.

The wheels have been painted and the headliner vinyl has been installed. I need to pic something up before I can post the pics up as my centercaps are proving to be a little more difficult then anticipated (of course).

Oh, and as a side note: DON'T EVER FREAKING TRY TO STRIP THE CLEARCOAT/PAINT FROM THESE WHEELS.

More to come.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathMetal

Oh, and as a side note: DON'T EVER FREAKING TRY TO STRIP THE CLEARCOAT/PAINT FROM THESE WHEELS.

More to come.
Yeah, for that matter never try and strip or mediablast ANY oem Acura wheel. I also went through a horror story, even though it all worked out in the end!

Acura uses a WICKED basecoat! lol

Last edited by gerzand; 07-04-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Allllllrigtty, time for the post-weekend update. I hope everyone enjoyed their 4th and still has all of their digits attached.

Ok, let's start off with what seemed like a good idea, but turned out to be a total nightmare. So, I was ALLLLL sorts of gung-ho about painting the wheels, and like a good little modder, wanted to make certain I really did the wheel painting correctly, so how better to do this then to strip it, no? WRONG. Holy shit, what a bad idea.

So, let's take a look at what ATTEMPTING to strip the wheels does

WHAT THE HELL? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, DO NOT EVER, EVER. EVER TRY TO STRIP YOUR WHEELS. Why? They use nuclear-grade basecoating on the OE wheels. I am guessing this has something to do with some low-life POS that smashed their car and claimed that the 0.001mm of rust on their OE wheel caused their vehicle to plummet in to a ditch, and some lawyer got the proverbial lightbulb and sued company 'x', thereby requiring the industry to use said pseudo-teflon on the wheels. Whatever. Two wheels took some 10 recoats of stripper, a boatload of sweat, and finally, FINALLY, after some 12 hours of intense labor and a bevy of chemical burns, we got there. FUCK MY LIFE.

So, the missus asked what I wanted for my B-Day, and I told her 'backup and wheel paint.' Now she knows what this means.

Finally, some 16 hours later, we were approaching the finish line.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Once the wheels were knocked out of the way, it was time for the vinyl overlay. This was actually easy as hell, with the exception of my uber-cheapness kicking in, and having my vynil a tad too short to save a few extra bucks. No worries, there's always a work-around

Lastly, it was time for some centercap action. With those nice wheels, time to get things all tied together, no? I decided to 'flip' the colors to give some additional contrast.

I also decided to sand, repaint, clear, wetsand, and polish alllll of the interior panels again. As you can see, the original coat did not take well in spite of my priming efforts.

...aaaaaaand, since we were at it, might as well add some Second Skin Overkill Pro that I had left over from the door to replace the OE gauze. I've got all my scraps, so like a Native American would say, 'use all parts of the buffalo'. Wise words.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-05-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
You know, a lot of the mods you have in theory kinda seem sketchy to me: The taillights, rear mesh, and now these wheels. BUT you somehow manage to make it come out ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. How you manage to do this is beyond me. You have the creativity and imagination of most teenagers doing up their cars ( a good thing), and combine it with professional, high-quality building and engineering. I tip my hat to you, sir.

EDIT: Stupid of me to think you only did the wheels and called it an update. Of course there's more...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Finally, the money shots. I'm on the fence with the wheel color...what do you think?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by AMAN1
You know, a lot of the mods you have in theory kinda seem sketchy to me: The taillights, rear mesh, and now these wheels. BUT you somehow manage to make it come out ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. How you manage to do this is beyond me. You have the creativity and imagination of most teenagers doing up their cars ( a good thing), and combine it with professional, high-quality building and engineering. I tip my hat to you, sir.

EDIT: Stupid of me to think you only did the wheels and called it an update. Of course there's more...
Haha, thank-you much, my friend! The trouble with modding is that I have a final idea in my head, but I only have so much free time, so I'm forced to peice-meal the whole thing...thanks for the kind words! I am still somewhat unsure about the color of the wheels, though. I thought this would look one way, it's not quite what I expected.

Stay tuned, I'm wrapping things up on the front end next weekend!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
the front shots of the rims look good but the back shots look unbalanced because the tail lights dont go with the rims. hard to explain lol
Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Phambam12
the front shots of the rims look good but the back shots look unbalanced because the tail lights dont go with the rims. hard to explain lol
FUCK. You nailed it, man. My wife and I had like a 10 minute conversation trying to pin the precise reason for which it did not look right...you just summed it up.

Looks good from the side due to the limited contrast...from the rear, the overload of b/w creates imbalance with the rest of the car.

Grrrrrrr...I don't know when the hell I am gonna repaint the wheels, but I gotta repaint the wheels.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
They look good but doesn't flow with the rest of your car.
Love the center-caps!

I think a dark-gunmetal or some sort of off-black may help with your contrasting.
Then you can have the Acura symbol in the center-caps painted white.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
They look good but doesn't flow with the rest of your car.
Love the center-caps!

I think a dark-gunmetal or some sort of off-black may help with your contrasting.
Then you can have the Acura symbol in the center-caps painted white.
PRECISELY what I was thinking. No idea when the hell I am going to do this, though, lol
Old 07-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Ah, one last thing, footwell lighting has been installed. These are a far more subdued look then most, as I want it to flow well with the rest of the interior.

Last but not least, the yard is coming along nicely, although I am sure that I am going to be raped by my water bill this month. OH, nightscaping is done as well (I've been busy)

Old 07-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Hmm, actually if I were you I'd redo the rear end instead. Rims look great from every other angle. Maybe redo the taillight masking a different colour than white?

What if you painted the masking black, or another less subtle colour?

Also for a new idea, have you thought about doing something with the mirrors? I don't know if the 07+ TL mirrors came with turn signals, but the 06+ TSX and Accord Hybrid did. I'm sure they could fit with a little bit of modification, and knowing you, you can do something creative with it. Just an idea.

EDIT: Beautiful nightscape, by the way!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Hmm, actually if I were you I'd redo the rear end instead. Rims look great from every other angle. Maybe redo the taillight masking a different colour than white?
Woof, that's a boatload of work. Dammit, I'm not going to get a winks worth of sleep tonight.

Also for a new idea, have you thought about doing something with the mirrors?
I've toyed with the idea. I loathe the '07 mirrors, the protruding diffuser destroys the lines of the car...IMHO...we'd have to do something very different...

EDIT: Beautiful nightscape, by the way!
Thanks, brother! It cost about $140 thanks to some patience on eBay and many hours with the shovel and tamp...well worth it!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

UPDATE: Sort of...ish...

Taking all of next week off to finish the front end and repaint the wheels.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Brother, you have been very busy this weekend, I see! I love the interior footwell lighting and the accent lighting on the rear doors. The roof turned out great, plus the house lighting looks good too. Heck, I thought you were done, but I guess not. Your wife seems as though she's a real trooper-she obviously knows that the TL is very important to you and supports you with all you're doing to it.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-05-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I love gold wheels on a white car!! I think they look good! I would have like the center cap better if the colors were flipped though.

What kind of stripper did you use? I've stripped and painted a bunch of wheels and never had to take as much time to strip the wheels before. I've never stripped these oem wheels, but I can't imagine the paint not coming off like the other oem wheels I had done. I always used aircraft grade stripper that you can get from autozone or discount auto parts.

So how come u are going to repaint them? Lol

I can't wait to start working on my car again!!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Just call me JB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What a great build thread...have you decided what you are going to do with the wheels?

I think your car would look SICK with some sort of white/black wheels to match your theme.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Gold wheels on a white car are sick. I think the problem with your wheels is just the shade, try and match the color that VOLK used on the gold rims. Those are sex on a WDP. And i literally said OH MY GOD out loud when I saw the pic of the attempted wheel stripping.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
i like the center caps how they are. maybe you should photoshop the wheels to see what the best look would be.

your driveway is amazing at night.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JonBeast
I think your car would look SICK with some sort of white/black wheels to match your theme.
I thought the same, gold rims on white is real clean, but doesn't seem to match your theme imo. I would do black rims white lip, saw those on a s5 and a m5.. looks CLEAN, but for that i think you gotta get new rims. But yea just sharing my thoughts! =]
Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Finally, the money shots. I'm on the fence with the wheel color...what do you think?

Those wheels don't flow with your tips.. I'm not a fan of solid gold wheels either. I think a light primer and duplicolor bronze + polished tips would look better IMO. Your wheels don't look bad but they definitely put it on the style edge of nice / rice.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

[QUOTE = Steven Bell]Brother, you have been very busy this weekend, I see! I love the interior footwell lighting and the accent lighting on the rear doors. The roof turned out great, plus the house lighting looks good too. Heck, I thought you were done, but I guess not. Your wife seems as though she's a real trooper-she obviously knows that the TL is very important to you and supports you with all you're doing to it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, dude…we’re approaching the finish line, at least for this year. The wife wants to expand the family (yikes!), but I told her that I want to finish the car first, hence the big push right now, haha!
I love gold wheels on a white car!! I think they look good! I would have like the center cap better if the colors were flipped though.
Me too! …just not mine, lol.

What kind of stripper did you use? I've stripped and painted a bunch of wheels and never had to take as much time to strip the wheels before. I've never stripped these oem wheels, but I can't imagine the paint not coming off like the other oem wheels I had done. I always used aircraft grade stripper that you can get from autozone or discount auto parts.
PRECISELY what I used…I’m tellin’ ya, this stuff is of the devil’s work.

So how come u are going to repaint them? Lol
Just doesn’t flow. Looks great from the side, horrible from the rear. Graphite grey, here we come!

I can't wait to start working on my car again!!
DO IT, your thread is getting dusty and I love the evolution of your whip.

What a great build thread...have you decided what you are going to do with the wheels? I think your car would look SICK with some sort of white/black wheels to match your theme.
I had considered that as well, although I think that might start making it flow more in to the rice category. 
Gold wheels on a white car are sick. I think the problem with your wheels is just the shade, try and match the color that VOLK used on the gold rims. Those are sex on a WDP. And i literally said OH MY GOD out loud when I saw the pic of the attempted wheel stripping.
Yeah, I had an OMG moment when I stripped the first LAYER. What a freaking mess. Like I said, I think gold wheels look amazing on a white car, but with my ass work, it just doesn’t flow.

your driveway is amazing at night.
Thanks! I still have to finish some landscaping of the driveway. The lighting, while aesthetically pleasing, was done more for security then anything (my subs were stolen from my trunk while I slept, it was hella dark prior to)

I thought the same, gold rims on white is real clean, but doesn't seem to match your theme imo. I would do black rims white lip, saw those on a s5 and a m5.. looks CLEAN, but for that i think you gotta get new rims. But yea just sharing my thoughts!
=]

Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE new rims, but my fiscal resources are being put to other uses at present.

Your wheels don't look bad but they definitely put it on the style edge of nice / rice.
No doubt, and I’ve been trying like hell to avoid that. MOD FAIL.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Dude, car's looking great. I tend to agree on the bronze wheels...I would think black or white would be MONEY on this car based on the other mods you've done.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Here's an idea---use the same metal fleck paint you used on the tail and sidemarkers.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
Here's an idea---use the same metal fleck paint you used on the tail and sidemarkers.
There it is! Do that!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
the work that you do is extraordinary....but (dont get me wrong here) the car looks a little over done from the rear.....i think the tail lights/tips/wheel color doesnt flow as well, atleast as the front does....

the car wouldve looked perfect with black "traditional" rims....but since you went with a bold color i would suggest doing a little something with the tail lights....seems like they going to transform

but the kind of perfection that goes in your job is awesome....the time and the effort get a A+++++

on a side note the interior looks friggin awesome....someday i might drive down to ur place and have all the interior LED's swapped for blue ones
Old 07-06-2010, 03:57 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Good work man, ive been lurking around this thread. I agree with others on the tails looking out of place. I have Gold wheels, black roof on a WDP TL and It flows amazing. It's how you want to picture your ride, if it makes you happy its all that matters.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Pull a BforBRIAN and color match your tail bezels gold along with your side mirrors and it will solve all problems . I honestly don't like gold rims (coming from an STI I choose the silver finish) but it compliments the white. If you do the rims black it will be too much "blacked out", I would change the tails if I were you.

Quick Reply: Death Metal's Journey (a DIY'ers Worklog for TL Perfection!)