crisp is in the HOUSE...(Update 5/9/12)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Best thing you should do is get a AEM CAI, but if not... this
Extend the filter all the way to the body of the car. (straight)
and remove the resonater...

Or if you want easier way.
Still extend the filter all the way.
Take out the battery cover ant that triangle piece. Than take out that pipe you see under the triangle thing.
Insert this

to the pipe below, and turn 90 degree pipe it to the the right.
Because on the right side you will see the pipe which the air that goes through the fender enters.

I'll post pics when I get home.

Removing resonator makes the car louder..they say
Short ram is already loud as crazy.
So SRI + no resonator.... put all these stuff in to your mind and make the decision...

If I would remove the resonator, then I'll just add CAI.

This is what I have right now. You see the pipe in front of battery? That's the one you take out and insert a 90 degree one.
+ after doing this... put the triangle piece back in and close the battery cover
I'll take a pic when I go home. This is old..

Last edited by MEKO; 05-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Found some...

You see it on the right?
That rectangular pipe with round edges
It's where air goes in to...air that comes ins from the fender

I added the plastic to bring it closer to the pipe... sort of velocity stack :P

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggi_e
let the modding begin buddy lol. may want to check into this for a ecu reset

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=ecu+reset
Read the first page of posts... now stepping out to do this "ECU RESET" after THIS post!

Originally Posted by MEKO
^

Also if you going to keep that filter short. Remove the battery cover + the little triangle piece that makes air go in to the pipe that is there...

Thanks for the input! I am FAR from done... just making an interim intake as I can't STAND to leave anything STOCK!

Found some...

You see it on the right?
That rectangular pipe with round edges
It's where air goes in to...air that comes ins from the fender

I added the plastic to bring it closer to the pipe... sort of velocity stack :P

Hey! Thanks for all the pics and explanation! LOOONG time intake manipulator here... so we'll see what comes of the TL soon enough! I'd like the "best" (proven HP/Response feedback) "system" if there is one out there... rather than a "mock-up" like I started so far! (I've done BOTH routes... but since this is... er... somewhat of a "luxury automobile" and not my typical muscle-machine... I'd like to keep it "clean-n-neat"! LOL!)

I'm open to input on the OPTIMAL system... but haven't done my research yet! (Of course... since this isn't a thread start EXCLUSIVE to asking a "couch-potato-question" that results in "flaming"... any suggestions from the peanut gallery on THE BEST out there???

DUDE!!! DO A LITTLE RESEARCH!!!

(It's okay... I can take it!)

BTW... THIS is the system I came up with on my SOLARA!

VVV (the crispMONGO filter!)

-crisp
Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
10K for a CBP type-S?!?!

With the 105K service done?!?!

Yes...you're right...I do hate you LOL!

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M.I.N.O.
10K for a CBP type-S?!?!

With the 105K service done?!?!

Yes...you're right...I do hate you LOL!

Congrats on the new ride!

Thank you sir!

^^^ I snapped a spontaneous shot of my current mileage as I noticed it was at 120007 to "commemorate" the purchase of my 2007 Acura TL-S AND my BIRTHDAY TODAY!

(The TL is one of TWO birthday presents-to-self that I bought this year!)

...totally wiped down all the leather and interior with appropriate surface wipes and replaced the Cabin Air Filter last night. Ready for my drive to Detroit for a day-meeting today!

PS: Car is running GREAT after the ECU RESET, but the "jury is still out" for me on whether it is "night/day" yet at this point. (I JUST did a battery disconnect/K&N install the prior day, and THAT made such a difference, I may not be noticing the "incremental addition" to that change... well see today!)

-crisp
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

My wife and ALL FOUR kids are sick with flu... and I had to run to Detroit for a meeting... but last night, I cleaned up the TL inside and out and had her ready for the cruise to Motor City!

Just before I left, I snapped this BIRTHDAY MORNING shot of my "gift to myself"!

(I didn't even get a card or any other presents or cake or candles or SQUAT this year... which is nothing "unusual"... since at MY age, it doesn't matter much anymore!)

Car ran like a CHAMP to my meeting and back... and I even "LINKED" with my Hands-Free without any instructions on the way back! (Of course, I was prompted to PULL OVER AND STOP to complete the PAIRING process!)

...onward to my next adventure...

-crisp
Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Happy birthday! Finally someone who has more kids than me and still gets away with owning a TL haha. I hear you on the gift giving...I normally buy my own Christmas/bday presents.
The following users liked this post:
crispone (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Happy birthday Crisp!!!
Hope they get well as soon as...
crispone (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Thanks, guys! I can't complain about the day yesterday... even with everyone SICK in the family! (Actually, the two YOUNGEST one's, my daughter - 7yrs and youngest son - 5yrs were already recovered from earlier in the week...) Since I had the TL to "comfort me" for a good 300 mile or so drive to my meeting and back, it was actually a nice "sanctuary" from the unfortunate state of everyone's health for a few hours! (My MANTRA in life is to be "enroute"! HA! I LOVE to drive!)

TODAY!

I'm headed to my tint guy in about an hour! By early afternoon, he should be done. (I'm going with 20~25% range all around... eyebrow undecided at the moment.)

I will update and have PICS when it's all taken care of!

...stay tuned...

-crisp
Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

20-25% will look great. I'm not a big fan of the "eyebrow" but it's not bad. As long as you don't tint the entire windshield! For some reason that's a growing trend these days...
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

^^^ Snapped a couple after the TINT-MAN did his thing! 20% all around with a modest brow up front. I'm really pleased with the job he did. It was a personal friend of the guy I sold my Solara to, and he did it for a buck-and-a-half.

I gotta admit... this Acura TL Type-S is a NICE looking car!

(Maybe some "clay bar" next???)

-crisp
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Happy birthday dude.

Looks like it's in excellent condition!
crispone (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Happy birthday dude.

Looks like it's in excellent condition!

Thank you sir!

Did a "quickie" clay-bar this morning and then experimented with some "spary-wax" stuff just to get it done. Amazed at how LITTLE the clay pulled off of this car! (Maybe I've just always been doing REALLY BAD surface cars before??? ...or better yet, this car was MOSTLY really well cared for!)

At any rate, it DID help to show the paint a bit more after I was done with the bar and spritz/wipe-off...

Pic above is a brief "stop-over" I made at a park in local community where some guys were holding a BBQ/MEET with a variety of rides. I WOULD have taken my Supra to "fit-in" better, but I had to haul my FOUR KIDS with me today!

All good fun! (I'll post some more pics of JUST the TL after the quickie clean-up this morning a bit later...)

-crisp
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

...some shots this morning right after the clay bar and spray wax...

-crisp
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Threw a few LED's into the cabin lighting earlier today! NICE!

*Thanks to "Aretardedorange" for the product!

NOTE: My apologies for a "so-so" cell phone photo! (BTW... ALL shots in my thread SO FAR have been with an iPhone!)

...too lazy to get out the "good stuff"... and the darn iPhone is SOO HANDY!

Well... now I'm reading up on the J-PIPE options! Looks like I'm seeing a lot on the one from "Josh" and "Richie"? in the forum so far... maybe another choice or two out there?

Soon... guys... soon...

-crisp
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
FRESHINNOVATION NBP TL-S

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
looks great so far buddy! this forum is much better than SG was. more lively i guess you can say lol. happy belated birthday bro
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
13203!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a cbp tl-s and a bunch of HKS goodies on the toy. a man after my own heart.

(i have a cbp tl-s and a bunch of hks goodies on my talon...including, but not limited to a vpc/gcc and evc ez )
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Biggi_e
looks great so far buddy! this forum is much better than SG was. more lively i guess you can say lol. happy belated birthday bro

Thanks, Eddie! Slowly working my budget into this project... one small mod at a time!

Originally Posted by AWDream
a cbp tl-s and a bunch of HKS goodies on the toy. a man after my own heart.

(i have a cbp tl-s and a bunch of hks goodies on my talon...including, but not limited to a vpc/gcc and evc ez )

Good to see another fellow HKS proponent! It's pretty good stuff for what it is designed to do! Nice to have common interests among us...

-crisp
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

TODAY!!!

Time for a HID INSTALL on the FOG lights!

^^^ Bought the HIDs from "Aretardedorange" (who also sold me the LEDs for the interior) and they arrived QUICKLY!

A couple BASIC TOOLS will get you IN to the underside behind the FOG lamps with LITTLE difficulty, and no need to "completely" remove ANYTHING but a few plastic clips and two M10 bolts.

^^^ Pulled the stock coupler, removed the stock bulb with a "twist-N-pull", to expose the opening for the new HID bulb.

^^^ When I compared MY particular ballast coupler receiver to the stock coupler, I could see that the PITCH of the two prongs was a LITTLE OFF (WIDER on the ballast) and a test fit DID NOT go in SMOOTHLY and IMMEDIATELY without force! NO PROBLEM! I used some needle nose pliers and CAREFULLY manipulated the prongs on the ballast to MATCH the pitch of the stock coupler that was previously connected to the stock FOG light bulb. (H8, I think?)

TA-DAA! The "modified" prongs slipped RIGHT IN to the stock plug, without any undue force!

^^^ Carefully inserted the new HID bulb with a twist, then I found a good bolt to MOUNT the ballast to, then did a "test fit" before connecting everything. PERFECT! (I went back and removed the ballast, connected everything, then used a narrow strip of powerful carpet/duct tape to "wrap" the coupler that I pressed into the ballast with a single full-wrap-a-round to the ballast, as the "clip" did NOT engage and "click" positively in this case. That way, it WON'T vibrate loose!

BEFORE I buttoned everything up and did the OTHER side, I TESTED the light to confirm that it was WORKING!

TA-DAA!!!

The other side was pretty much the same, but due to the location of the cold-air-intake plumbing, I couldn't mount to the same spot, so I found another suitable location.

(YES... I KNOW the plate is a bit CROOKED!!! The holes were ALREADY LIKE THAT when I got it... so I'll have to address that minor annoyance LATER!)

Hope that helps someone who is unsure about this process... but to be honest, as HID installation goes, THIS application and vehicle turned out to be the EASIEST I have EVER DONE!

Although it was raining a bit... I went out and shot a couple shots with the iPhone... just because!

(Meant to go with 5000k on the fogs... but I got 6000k so I'll just enjoy the bit of extra "color" for now! ...eventually, I'll likely go pure white on these though... as it illuminates so much better, especially in rain!)

-crisp

Last edited by crispone; 05-09-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Aretardedorange (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Dude the car is looking great. You have barely been here a week and already got some major mods done! Can't wait to see whats next!!

I think the DIY deserves to go into the 3G TL Garage......very informative, I don't understand why people remove the bumper for HID fogs, very easy to do through the flap!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Suzuka Master

What the...
lots of nice major mods since I checked...

I agree on DIY for the fogs....

Why don't you remove the black splash guards? It'll look much better... well till you get the A-Spec

I don't know what you use to clean the tips but, I'll recommend this

Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Nice work on the fogs. The next step is to make them independent!

Looks like your front plate is mounted directly to your bumper! Nooo! I have an unopened OEM front plate bracket/mount that I never ended up using. PM me if you want it!
crispone (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ebelp
Nice work on the fogs. The next step is to make them independent!

Looks like your front plate is mounted directly to your bumper! Nooo! I have an unopened OEM front plate bracket/mount that I never ended up using. PM me if you want it!

Shuh-huh! WHAT were they (the dealer?) thinking that first MOUNTED the original plate RIGHT INTO the bumper???!!! DOH!!!

I'm thinking I'll look at doing a "repair" to the holes and fill-n-sand-n-touch-up at some point. I USUALLY don't even MOUNT a front plate on cars with a nice, cosmetic bumper... (like my Supra)

Although "REQUIRED" in Ohio... so far, NO issue with THIS particular car! (NOT a daily driver anyway... but didn't run a front plate for over 17 years!!!)

^^^ Note that my Solara didn't have the plate, either...

Thanks for the looks, guys! More to come!

-crisp
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

What the...
lots of nice major mods since I checked...

I agree on DIY for the fogs....

Why don't you remove the black splash guards? It'll look much better... well till you get the A-Spec

I don't know what you use to clean the tips but, I'll recommend this

Good "TIP"! LOL! (Pun intended!)

Yeah... the car was driven so "mildly", I doubt it EVER blew all the carbon out! (I'm fixing THAT issue poste haste!)

I'll get to an actual "cleaning" of the tips SOON!

-crisp
Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Your color Type S looks so classy when the tires are properly cleaned and shined.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Your color Type S looks so classy when the tires are properly cleaned and shined.

Thank you Mr. Bell! Truth be told... I find myself washing and cleaning up THIS car FAR more than others I've owned! Why IS that???

(Perhaps the "classy" element of the TL in general compels me to try a little bit harder?)

-crisp
Old 05-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ I'm right there with you, brother. I've always enjoyed cars, but when I got the Type S, I went crazy with it (modding, upgrading, Acurazine.....)

Haa, I just realized-it's all your guys' fault !!!!!