After 8 hours of waiting...this happens

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by dpat
yeah man its just rough... looking back i should've stopped my car when it started shaking before it was too late. i've done alot of stupid shit and got away with it, but this is rough... a wise man once said "rough times"
hey look at it this way.... I wish when I was 18 i would have had an acura TLS lol not a bad car for being so young im 32 almost 33 and still like having an acura TLS haha
Old 03-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
yeah it would be strange to just have front spacers and no rear spacers...that doesn't even make any sense.

so...you didn't have spacers?
nah, i guess not bro.
Originally Posted by murph145
i dont think he did?? the stock rims dont come with hub centric rings right?? i mean they come already bored at 64.1mm to fit the hubs exactly right??

i know my tsw's have a larger hub bore size so they gave me hub centric rings to make the rims fit snug and those can be a pain if not set right but i thought stock rims came bored to exact specifications
Yeah i dont think i did either
Old 03-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Racer

hey look at it this way.... I wish when I was 18 i would have had an acura TLS lol not a bad car for being so young im 32 almost 33 and still like having an acura TLS haha
Yeah bro, i get that alot... I love my car in every way which is why this is so difficult on me. and on top of that its a shame too see my car so frickin low, it disgusts me.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Spacer is right there... looks like a simple generic 5mm, maybe 10mm spacer, no extended lugs

the guy's story about the hub ring being corroded and messing things up, is a LOAD OF SHIT.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Drifting

yea when you get it fixed just raise it up to more of an acceptable daily driver ride height.... nothing wrong with being low but that was just not a good way to drive your car it left no room for error if you went over any bump hard you would be messed up

just get it low enought to get rid of the gap
Old 03-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

Spacer is right there... looks like a simple generic 5mm, maybe 10mm spacer, no extended lugs

the guy's story about the hub ring being corroded and messing things up, is a LOAD OF SHIT.
oh wow good eyes my man!

yea it did have some sort of spacer on it but if you have been driving it with that before with no issues then there still should have been no issues looks like 5mm tops...

he might just not have set it right so like he says it felt tight and snug but once you drove it then sat correctly making it have gap and the lugs came off slowly
Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I have car ADD

^ lol... i noticed it when he first posted... i highly doubt that was the root cause...

you are supposed to torque the lugs at around 80-90 lb/ft.... if the spacer wasnt placed properly, that type of torque on that tiny piece of metal would bend the spacer and keep everything in place...

i see the logic the "mechanic" is trying to prove, but it just isnt realistic...

for it to come undone, THAT quickly, it was never tightened...

in high school, my buddy had a crazy ex/gf loosen his lug nuts.. it tooks days until the wheel shook loose
Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
I wonder how the car was let down from jack/jack stands with it being that low? My guess is he didnt tighten shit.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Racer

yea when you get it fixed just raise it up to more of an acceptable daily driver ride height.... nothing wrong with being low but that was just not a good way to drive your car it left no room for error if you went over any bump hard you would be messed up

just get it low enought to get rid of the gap
yeah man, will do... those were the plans lol.
^ lol... i noticed it when he first posted... i highly doubt that was the root cause...

you are supposed to torque the lugs at around 80-90 lb/ft.... if the spacer wasnt placed properly, that type of torque on that tiny piece of metal would bend the spacer and keep everything in place...

i see the logic the "mechanic" is trying to prove, but it just isnt realistic...

for it to come undone, THAT quickly, it was never tightened...

in high school, my buddy had a crazy ex/gf loosen his lug nuts.. it tooks days until the wheel shook loose
Bro, i dont believe a f**ckin thing this kid tells me, all i know is 90$ is pissed down the drain and shit load of stress and bills are too follow it
Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
that sucks. lol

i hope this installer didn't mess with the preloads on the coils.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Well one side im thinking if he knows all of that why didn't he tell you before he let you drive home.

Then on the other side that doesn't make sense because its not that much of a difference and if you drove xx miles with them on before hand why weren't there problems before. Rust doesn't mean anything on that, everything rusts....
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Drifting

yea i think the guy just forgot to tighten probably just hand tightened for them to come off that fast.... its not even like he tightened four of them and forgot one it was all the lugz
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Get Money

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why friends HELP me with my car. And they never DO IT ALL. I like to personally have worked on it so I know what was done.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jjashaa
that sucks. lol

i hope this installer didn't mess with the preloads on the coils.
Love ur car man lol
Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Dpat, sorry to see this-especially with the amount of time put into it....
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 945 Likes on 650 Posts
Sorry to see that happen man thats horrible. Thats what happens people fuck with their cars till shit like this happens. Dont let some idiot work on your car next time pleeeaasse.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
friends dont take money and KEEP it after they fuck up?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I was trying to teach my son some basic stuff starting with changing over the tires in the fall. He used a torque wrench and even though I told him to be careful not to rotate the handle because the lock ring was broken and let him have at it. That evening, I notice the front end making noises. All the lugs were loose.

Having done this many times over the past MANY years, I would have known the torque was too low just by feel. He was a newb so I can't totally lay blame on him, I should have checked. Lesson learned for me and what happened here could have easily happened to me.

Even going to a so called 'pro' can be just as bad. You really never know who will work on your car but at least you could recoup cost if they screw up something this badly.

On the other hand, not many pro's will drop a car to that extreme.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I have car ADD

^ lol... you remember that?

Yea it was actually.... Excelerate did the work too... everything was installed good, the car had a bad VSA modulator, which pumped air into the brake lines and busted the seal on the Master Cylinder..

Acura issued the TSB, i believe about 5-6 days before my accident.... talk about shit luck, eh???
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
^ lol... you remember that?

Yea it was actually.... Excelerate did the work too... everything was installed good, the car had a bad VSA modulator, which pumped air into the brake lines and busted the seal on the Master Cylinder..

Acura issued the TSB, i believe about 5-6 days before my accident.... talk about shit luck, eh???
I removed the post after wondering if that was you. I definitely remember that. Based on your description, it's one of those things that sticks in my mind. I didn't remember if you found the reason, all I remember is the Rotora BBK.

Last edited by KN_TL; 03-14-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my heart dropped when i saw the wheel come off. i was imagining if that happened to mines. hope all is well.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn that sucks man. Its obviously the installers fault. Heres probably what happened...He probably just tighten the lugs while the wheel wasn't even on the car straight and He just tightened each lug till its tight and not going over it again. Simple noob mistake.

Also to one of the previous poster commenting about kids who still lives with their parents...

It's tradition for asians to live with their parents until married, nothing wrong with that at all. I still live with my parents and I installed my coils and exhaust myself has had no problems at all and it was my first time even working on a car.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
friends dont take money and KEEP it after they fuck up?
Well lets say i didn't keep my cool when i talked too him, i dont plan on seeing it haha.
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Sorry to see that happen man thats horrible. Thats what happens people fuck with their cars till shit like this happens. Dont let some idiot work on your car next time pleeeaasse.
dont plan on it my friend
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Dpat, sorry to see this-especially with the amount of time put into it....
appreciate it
Originally Posted by winkyyy
Damn that sucks man. Its obviously the installers fault. Heres probably what happened...He probably just tighten the lugs while the wheel wasn't even on the car straight and He just tightened each lug till its tight and not going over it again. Simple noob mistake.

Also to one of the previous poster commenting about kids who still lives with their parents...

It's tradition for asians to live with their parents until married, nothing wrong with that at all. I still live with my parents and I installed my coils and exhaust myself has had no problems at all and it was my first time even working on a car.
Yeah it was, too bad the kid wont take responsibility for it
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Aired Out TLS

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
That will buff right out

Jus kidding, I wouldn't have drove the car home being that low in the first place. A decent size hump in the road would've probably taken out your whole exhaust, pipes etc.

Maybe you was pretty excited about the new lowered drop and drove off without double checking?

Good luck with everything.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
damn man this sux to c ... have u gotten an estimate on how much it would cost to get everything repaired?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
the rear is perfect IMO!!!

Sorry to hear what hapepned
Old 03-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Beat-Freak...
That will buff right out

Jus kidding, I wouldn't have drove the car home being that low in the first place. A decent size hump in the road would've probably taken out your whole exhaust, pipes etc.

Maybe you was pretty excited about the new lowered drop and drove off without double checking?

Good luck with everything.
maybe....not sure, i was paying him so i helped him when i could but when he was actually inside the fenders doing the coils themselves and assembling the tires i left it alone, turns out thats where he fucked up
Originally Posted by VQPower37
damn man this sux to c ... have u gotten an estimate on how much it would cost to get everything repaired?
havent got a quote yet, i will let you and everyone know asap.
Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
the rear is perfect IMO!!!

Sorry to hear what hapepned
haha your into that slammed shit eh? its too low for my taste.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I hope you plan on taking it to some other pro shop to have the coils redone. I don't think any coilovers are supposed to go that low, and who knows what else he fucked up.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Aman
I hope you plan on taking it to some other pro shop to have the coils redone. I don't think any coilovers are supposed to go that low, and who knows what else he fucked up.
I'll have everything to its correct adjustments before driving it agian
Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Racer

Just an update, the car's getting picked up today and For the record, the kid who did this got a little taste of my fist over the weekend.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened to me in my truck. Driving down the road and heard something. Pulled over, checked everything out, then continued on. About 15 secs later "boom" tire fell off and went flying into traffic. Didn't hit anything and selttled in the median. Went and got it, picked up all the lugs off the road (they were all right next to each other) was able to jack underneath it and put the tire back on. 2 miles down the road it fell off again at about 50MPH! Lugs again, right near each other. Did the same type of damage of yours. I ended up putting the spare on and took a lug from each other tire and got rolling. Had the truck towed to the shop that morning. Body shop called and said all the lugs were stripped and just popped off under the pressure. More than likely someone was in the process of stealing the rims and my dogs scared them off when they hit the first rim. So I rode around for 2 days with loose lugs, which stripped them out.

Ever since this happened I ALWAYS check my rims whenever someone else touches my car. On the weekends when I clean mine and my bride-to-be's ride they lugs get checked. You never know! I feel for you having this happen, especially since it wasn't your fault and you paid someone to do work on your car. I'd get my money back if nothing else.

The repair bill on my truck was $2600, thankfully I'm full insured
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CynFul_S_Type
This happened to me in my truck. Driving down the road and heard something. Pulled over, checked everything out, then continued on. About 15 secs later "boom" tire fell off and went flying into traffic. Didn't hit anything and selttled in the median. Went and got it, picked up all the lugs off the road (they were all right next to each other) was able to jack underneath it and put the tire back on. 2 miles down the road it fell off again at about 50MPH! Lugs again, right near each other. Did the same type of damage of yours. I ended up putting the spare on and took a lug from each other tire and got rolling. Had the truck towed to the shop that morning. Body shop called and said all the lugs were stripped and just popped off under the pressure. More than likely someone was in the process of stealing the rims and my dogs scared them off when they hit the first rim. So I rode around for 2 days with loose lugs, which stripped them out.

Ever since this happened I ALWAYS check my rims whenever someone else touches my car. On the weekends when I clean mine and my bride-to-be's ride they lugs get checked. You never know! I feel for you having this happen, especially since it wasn't your fault and you paid someone to do work on your car. I'd get my money back if nothing else.

The repair bill on my truck was $2600, thankfully I'm full insured
Yeah, thank god your alright after the tire flying off at 50 mph, once mine fell off it was over after that. Im insured, but because of the coilovers idk if they will cover it. I was going to get my 90$ i paid him for the job... but yesterday a few occurances happene that changed that, but over all i feel better about the whole situation now that i settled it with the one who was responsible making false claims that were only making me even more angry
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Aired Out TLS

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
Just an update, the car's getting picked up today and For the record, the kid who did this got a little taste of my fist over the weekend.
Fist huh ? That's cool and all, but whats gonna happen when you get your car nice as hell and he comes back and fist your ride? That would suck. My
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
we need moar updates.....what did the OP mean by first!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

tune in to find out.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Yeah, thank god your alright after the tire flying off at 50 mph, once mine fell off it was over after that. Im insured, but because of the coilovers idk if they will cover it. I was going to get my 90$ i paid him for the job... but yesterday a few occurances happene that changed that, but over all i feel better about the whole situation now that i settled it with the one who was responsible making false claims that were only making me even more angry
Whose to say this happened when the coils were being installed?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Racer

I'm sure your all gonna get a kick out of this...

So, I got home about 10-15 minutes ago from school, and saw that my car was gone , i was happy thinking my car was finally on it's way in the process of being fixed... but i got a phone call from my dad about 5 minutes ago, and he informed me that while i was at school, some nitwit hit my car while it was parked... My dad called the cops and as the police was filing the report right beside my car, the man who had hit my car, came forward and admitting to hitting my car, claiming he was late for work this and that. I thought my luck couldn't get any worse, but damn i just got smacked right in the face

Here are the pics:

On a positive note, my friend is picking up his bro's e46 M3 Today and I'll get to take that for a spin (its my dream car)

Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^karma....you shouldnt have used your fist.

lol beat freak calling it...
Fist huh ? That's cool and all, but whats gonna happen when you get your car nice as hell and he comes back and fist your ride? That would suck. My
Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
ouch...im sorry about that bro!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Racer

If he comes and fists my ride, then it works both ways, and i'll have some fun with his evo.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Damn man, that's going to be a pain to fix Sorry to hear about your luck with this car

Quick Reply: After 8 hours of waiting...this happens