'07 Carbon Bronze Pearl TLS-UA7...Then & Now

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
'07 Carbon Bronze Pearl TLS-UA7...Then & Now

So... I have been meaning to put a thread like this up for a while and this is definitely over due...This is my 07 UA7 from when I bought it with 20,000 miles until now with approx 75,000 on the chasis and a new J series motor with only 10,000k on it!
Enjoy this is the ongoing story of my car

As a previous 03 silver type s owner, I knew I had to have the 07/08 as soon as it came out. The only problem was that I was locked into a lease on my 06 3.5 nissan altima. When my lease was almost up with 4 months left of an annoying payment for a car I did not own, but loved it was time to start looking. I went to an acura dealer on the north shore of long island and put my name on a waiting list, which did not help because the dealer pre-judged me at the time for some reason.
From that point in time, I knew that this would be a difficult car to find, especially because I was not going to except anything other than a manual transmission. (So one of the rarest acura models with a manual tranny and almost impossible to find... even with my father being a car broker who deals with every brand)

Above- My Altima, and S type side by side!

So, after 8 months to a year of searching dealer by dealer to find the perfect non beat on s type, I found a dealer out on the eastern part of Long Island with a white diamond pearl, and a carbon bronze pearl. So I hopped in the car and jetted over to the dealer to put a deposit down. The other car that I had in mind if I could not find the TLS was going to be a BMW 135 I with an M package... So really wanting the S type I was hoping that my car would be one of the two above.
I got to the dealer and ran over to the both of them that were parked right in front of the lot... The WDP was an automatic ahhh no shot, the CBP STICK- BINGO. From that day on, I was a proud owner of an 07 UA7 TL type s in stick.

One of the first pix of my car I remembered taking on a road trip!

From then on, it has not been easy on my car, but the car is in a great place right now with a few mods, looking good, traveled, and planning on doing more. My mods and pictures below.

First mod- (What else a COLD AIR INTAKE or cai)
I always do my research so it was between the Aem V2 and an Injen RD race pipe.

The injen racepipe won see install below!

2nd Modification- Tail Light Tints
I know everyone and their mother has these now, but this was the second mod that I did around 3 years ago when I was one of the first with one of my buddys

My friend @Topplayer on the left in his 08 CT engineered supercharged si with mine on the right!

Modifiation 3- (If you call it a mod, some do)
Re-setting the car and putting it into a LEARN MODE, for me it worked and there are numerous threads on how to do this. My car was more responsive, and sounded a little better as well. I did not go as hard as most because I wanted to keep my fuel economy as this is a daily and not a #because racecar lol...

Since then, I have upgraded the intake manifold to a brand new more responsive one, and I have done a few cosmetic upgrades.

My 5th Modification was the front aspec lip!

Above pic - my friend's E36 Actual racecar!!! no bs installing the lip!
Before-

After-

Then mod 6-
License place relocate-
First I ran plateless, then to the left, then to the right, then on the tow loop...
A few pix below

Play dates with a few friends- lol

Mod 7- (Not really a mod because brakes in my opinion are maintenance...)
I installed Cross drilled front brembo rotors and cyro treated rear blanks with some Hawk pad stopping power.

Cross drilled brembos sitting on 18 " aspec rims!

Photo shoots-

Mod 8- Rear end aspec lip, With rear 3rd brake light!
(look for Israeli license plate in rear window)

Glen Cove Car thursday meet!

Mod 9- The Side skirts are to follow as they are shipped and on their way in the mail!!!
I plan on updating this thread as a progress so I will continue to post and update!
I plan on a throttle body spacer, aspec suspension, j pipe, installing a rear sway bar- progress and so on

Places my car has been-
From New York to Florida
Vermont, New Jersey

-South of the boarder below on the way to FL

I also have a hitch installed to make the car practical for mountain biking, snowboard trips, and any sports lol

Boat yards, photo shoots, roof tops of garages, stuck in man hole covers

I plan on going to the Tail of the Dragon- North Carolina / Tennessee! (went with my friend in his S2k- for wake the dragon 2012

Been to island import day!

I recommend getting an extended warranty to anyone buying a used car as well!
Parts replaced but not limited to-
- Control arms
- Axles
- Stereo twice (until the deck lid error of sub clicking stopped lol)
- bluetooth unit
- Motor (from bottom down)
Including; New J series bottom end, pistons, rings, water pump, pump assembly, plugs/Clutch/ Timing belt and tensionor- Not covered, but replaced at the same time!

Old Clutch

More updates to follow...
For the next modifications I will do thorough write ups!

Last edited by Carbon Bronze S; 12-10-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Nice pics How'd you cook a clutch in 5 years? Who did you have replace it? Cost? Further details/story on the manhole?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced

The clutch was still good lol, but since my motor was being replaced, I figured why not!
I went to the dealer to have it replaced because they were doing the motor anyway. They charged me $700 for the new clutch, pressure plate, timing belt, belt tensionor, and plugs!
Ill answer the man hole cover story as an update in the actual post above!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced

As requested the man hole cover story-
I went out two weeks ago with my Girlfriend, her mother and myself to pick up power ball lotto, when the money payout was crazy. (I have never played power ball and probably will not ever again because of this experience)
I drove up to the gas station and immediately slammed down on the sub-frame.
I thought that I did something wrong... when I got out of the car I saw car stuck in the gas container man hole cover.

Aside from some cosmetic damage, and not being stupid and trying to drive out, the car ended up alright. - The gas station even paid around $600.00 for the damages- LOL but I fixed most of the damages myself and I am planning on getting an alignment just in case... Dont want to ruin the new Kumho Ecsta 4x tires lol
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Sweet Type S love the CBP. Mods look great but that plate mounted at the tow hook looks awful. If you gotta have a front plate leave it in the cleanest spot (in the stock mounting location).
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-11-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Go Pats!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
why did u have to get a new motor?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Nice start for a Progress Thread. Moved to the Photo Section.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonsking91
why did u have to get a new motor?

im guessing from the manhole incident it looks as if that oil pan was taken out...and it went on form there.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 AM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
That manhole shit is scary!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
ya that plate relocation looks horrible. Center is where it should be if you must have your front plates.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mau108
ya that plate relocation looks horrible. Center is where it should be if you must have your front plates.
I agree with Mau.

Look into purchasing this: http://swiftmotorsports.com/index.ph...02omlsjif8ser7

Ebelp's car with it installed...

Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 9,526 Likes on 6,181 Posts
Awesome progress! You have some baller friends
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for sharing, keep the photos rolling in cause I'm enjoying it all.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
looks great, looking forward to seeing all the progress!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:36 PM
flappy paddles

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Car looks great!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced

A-spec suspension finally

So I pulled the trigger and bought the A-spec suspension kit... Updates soon! Ill do a continuation in this thread with a full write up on the install!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Old 04-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Old 04-27-2013, 03:36 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cars coming along great!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Aspec install

So This past Sunday was the day...
Saturday night I gutted the car and removed the seats and all of the interior panels that are in the way ... Some advice for anyone interested in doing this install- BE CAREFUL WITH THE SEATS!!! Try not to touch anything as there are extremely sharp edges everywhere. I ended up scratching the hell out of the car and there is a dent that hit the paint!! Sucks anyway other than that, just make sure that you use a torque wrench and follow the instructions...

I started out by removing the bottom portion of the seats, headrests, and behind the headrest is a little slit that covers a 10 mm bolt on each side. Once the seats are out, I placed them carefully (not to scratch anything else like the night before) on the ground safely.

Then I removed the two c pillar panels covering the srs symbol... Careful not to be rough again srs airbags are prob no joke to get hit in the face with, and could ruin an install lol.

Then I started at the front end of the car!
After safely putting the car on jack stands, i removed the tires.

You have to remove the strut tower support, then I removed the pitch fork -through bolt and the lower pitch fork bolt. Then I went to the top and removed the 3 bolts holding the shock in on each side.

With a little maneuvering, you can pull out the old shocks! Be careful not to damage anything.

Once you install the new forks, lightly tighten all of the bolts!
Once you place a floor jack under the control arm and put all of the cars weight on the control arm, fully compressing the shock, you can then torque up the bolts to proper specs listed in the instructions.

Then after both sides were complete, I lowered the car with the rims back on and reinstalled the Strut tower bar. Be very careful not to over torque any of these bolts.

Then I started on the rear... Great piece of advice-DO NOT REMOVE THE ENDLINK TO THE SWAY BAR! Most likely this will be corroded and you WILL strip out this with an allen key! My suggestion is to remove the bracket that attaches to the brake line and carefully move out of the way. This gave just enough room to remove the old and in with the new.

The left rear side - is where i Fu##$d up! I loosened the Endlink and reinstalling and trying to tighten, I stripped the endlink. I already ordered a new one and will re install it tomorrow before I get an alignment.

I will try and snap a few shots of the new endlink install as well!

Car has only been on the A-Spec Suspension for 24 hrs, it will settle a little more and drop a little more! The kit said 1 inch and a quarter so well see.
I have taken some pretty serious turns just to test it out, and the car handles and drives very well. The main reason why I purchased this was because my car never handled as well as I thought it could. I also have problems with the car going straight. The new suspension fixed this issue and now the car Is where i feel it should have been from day ONE!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

Congrats on the install!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Anthracite

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Bronze S
The main reason why I purchased this was because my car never handled as well as I thought it could. I also have problems with the car going straight. The new suspension fixed this issue and now the car Is where i feel it should have been from day ONE!
my feelings exactly after the aspec install at 140k miles!

did you upgrade your rear sway yet? i am curious to know how you feel about it with just aspec and with aspec and rear sway; take some turns before and after!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tweeder82o
my feelings exactly after the aspec install at 140k miles!

did you upgrade your rear sway yet? i am curious to know how you feel about it with just aspec and with aspec and rear sway; take some turns before and after!
I just took some nice turns with the a-spec and stock sway... car is insane now...rotates like a dream!!! Cant imagine what the sway is going to do... i might go for the progress, but with the corrosion and all of the bs going on with the endlinks underneath i might just leave it alone ...dont like dealing with the bs
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 78 Posts
Dude I HIGHLY recommend going with the progress. I felt the same way once the aspec drop was put on. Couldn't believe how amazing it handled. Til I put the 24mm progress and it was just as noticeable as the drop. Switch out the end links man you won't regret it.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Anthracite

Originally Posted by Rickyp39
Dude I HIGHLY recommend going with the progress. I felt the same way once the aspec drop was put on. Couldn't believe how amazing it handled. Til I put the 24mm progress and it was just as noticeable as the drop. Switch out the end links man you won't regret it.
now that I've had my aspec suspension for a couple of months, I am salivating at the thought of upgrading the rear sway.

did you go with OEM endlinks?

I see that in your signature, you have the type-s front sway too. did you install together with the 24mm rear?

I was just wondering how big is too big for the rear sway on an auto without touching the front.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Racer

now that I've had my aspec suspension for a couple of months, I am salivating at the thought of upgrading the rear sway.

did you go with OEM endlinks?

I see that in your signature, you have the type-s front sway too. did you install together with the 24mm rear?

I was just wondering how big is too big for the rear sway on an auto without touching the front.
I replaced the endlinks with moog. I'm happy with em ! The stock ones were kinda weak and salted to shit.

And the exact order of everything was manual aspec first. Then came progress set to the not so stiff setting. Had it like that for about a week til I put the type s fsb on and changed the rear to stiff that same day.

According to I Hate Cars on here the perfect setup would b aspec drop with 24mm rsb paired with the h&r 28mm fsb but the stock type
S bar is very close at 27mm
tweeder82o (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Anthracite

And the exact order of everything was manual aspec first. Then came progress set to the not so stiff setting. Had it like that for about a week til I put the type s fsb on and changed the rear to stiff that same day.
so what was that week like with just the 24mm rsb on soft and just the stock fsb?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Racer

so what was that week like with just the 24mm rsb on soft and just the stock fsb?
Compared to stock it was still very pleasing to drive. But the finished product really dominates how it used to feel. I can take hard left handed turns thru intersections at 30 mph with absolutely no problem. Brings a to my face every time
tweeder82o (05-08-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
looks nice!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
how much faster is it compared to stock with the engine mods?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Anthracite

I can take hard left handed turns thru intersections at 30 mph with absolutely no problem.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Love the A-Spec front lip. Is there a certain place you order it from?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rios-TL
Love the A-Spec front lip. Is there a certain place you order it from?
I can actually get it and install it pm me
Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced

ok so who is going to convince me to do another install??? Progress RSB or J Pipe??? Im all about handling and my car has plenty of power... How much more power realistically from someone who has a j pipe/??? am i going to get vs.. Handling anyone anyone.... Bueler??? LOL
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
which one is cheaper?

that would be the RSB. it stiffens up the rear and makes a GREAT improvement in every day driving. switching lanes feels more solid at speed.

however; the jpipe is pretty awesome as well.
I'm not sure your mods, as I'm just joining you on this page; but gives decent power at 4k RPM and up.
if you dont hangout in vtec often; i would pass it up.
I'm assuming you push it tho; because you have a 6 speed.

*edit
I must be high. this is the only page.

Last edited by justnspace; 05-22-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

^^^^ This.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Love seeing pics of our cars actually being used! Very nice!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Advanced

So I have a laundry list of mods, installs, and creativity coming up in the near future getting ready for warm weather... Stay tuned for the below;
HID Fog Light mods, Brake/ Intake ducts, Rear Roof spoiler painted & Installed color??? find out, Some annual maintenance, and more! Any opinions on the above!
Also, might Install a front s type emblem, puddle lights, and a custom rear diffuser opinions on these 3 as well!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 PM

By brake/intake ducts are you referring to the square on the driver's side of this bumper?

If so, it's not really necessary unless you track the car. I think it takes away the sleek look of the front

Where would the Type-S emblem on the front go? Puddle lights are cool, and a rear diffuser is a cool idea, but the two together could be a bit odd. Diffusers are mostly seen on sports/performance cars, while puddle lights are on VIP-styled cars.

It sounds like you have a lot of good ideas but you're all over the place and need to pick an overall theme for your vehicle. If you want a performance car, then skip stuff like lights and increase the power and pursue the aero mods.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Nice progress. Whereabouts in NY are you?

Quick Reply: '07 Carbon Bronze Pearl TLS-UA7...Then & Now