Your ultimate guide to OEM TL flywheels and clutches

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could you use the 2010 j37a4 acura tl awd 6 speed transmission outter bellhousing casing so it would give for its depth no binding or grinding
Old 09-22-2016, 08:44 PM
Brock

Received 236 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by J32a3eg
could you use the 2010 j37a4 acura tl awd 6 speed transmission outer bellhousing casing so it would give for its depth no binding or grinding
Possibly, but it also has the output shaft for the rear wheel drive setup. A better solution would be to have an AASCO flywheel modified to use the SH-AWD clutch.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

anything new with this yet ... what you end up doing bud
Old 01-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Brock

Trans was back together last spring. I got a new clutch case and also installed the 3.55 FD gear set that I had. I went with an AASCO aluminum flywheel,
a stock TL Type-S clutch and a ridiculously overpriced Clutchmasters FX250 disc. Unfortunately, I already installed everything before discovering that the
Legend disc made by AISIN (Japanese supplier) is lower profile and fits the AASCO flywheel. And it can be had for under $100. The previous Legend disc
that I tried was made by Exedy (see post above with pics).

I also picked up another J37 clutch pressure plate. This one fits the flywheel perfectly. I think the previous one had the locating pin holes drilled slightly off.
I'm going to test fit the setup on my J35 that's sitting in the corner of my garage in the spring.
The following users liked this post:
thisaznboi88 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
The TSX in the video may or may not be said J-series TSX.

It's a work of art and engineering.

https://youtu.be/V5NQD1xry8c
Old 01-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Brock

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO

HaHa! Nice!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Brock

Smile

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO

A couple videos of the top secret TSX. Just a heads-up, the exterior video has substantial wind noise. I've tried quite a few camera mods to reduce it without success.

Last edited by Euro-R_Spec_TSX; 09-10-2017 at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
simione (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Man, the 3.55 gear seems Perfect. The 3.84 tbmotorworx gear was way too much with my j36. Man, Love your car. I am going to build another one pretty soon
Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Brock

Originally Posted by simione
Man, the 3.55 gear seems Perfect. The 3.84 tbmotorworx gear was way too much with my j36. Man, Love your car. I am going to build another one pretty soon
Agreed. That's what I thought the first time I drove the car with the 3.55 FD. It's the perfect gear ratio.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Brock

Back on topic...

The J37 clutch mounts to the AASCO flywheel OK with the AISIN disc, but there is about .5mm of clearance between it and the clutch case.
I'm sure that after heating up there would be interference. I think the only way to use the J37 clutch is to have a special AASCO flywheel made.
The changes needed aren't much, so I'm going to contact AASCO and see if they will custom machine my flywheel.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Euro-R_Spec_TSX
Back on topic...

The J37 clutch mounts to the AASCO flywheel OK with the AISIN disc, but there is about .5mm of clearance between it and the clutch case.
I'm sure that after heating up there would be interference. I think the only way to use the J37 clutch is to have a special AASCO flywheel made.
The changes needed aren't much, so I'm going to contact AASCO and see if they will custom machine my flywheel.
that is one sexy looking oem clutch!
Old 09-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Brock

Originally Posted by simione
that is one sexy looking oem clutch!
It's made by Exedy.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Brock

I contacted Aasco and they are willing to custom machine my flywheel. Still working out details, but I'll post pics after getting the flywheel machined.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish with all the mixing and matching of parts?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

wow this is really interesting. especially if AASCO mass produces a custom machined flywheel for j37 clutch/pressure plate (exedy) application on j35s. would definitely solve having to go out and buy the SAC pre-loading tool.

i guess then it would come down to price of aasco flywheel vs the tool
Old 11-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
First thanks for this informative post.

Your OP says the J37 flywheel mounting surface is 2mm different than the J35, is that 2mm HIGHER than the J35 flywheel (more towards the transmission)? I am doing the opposite of you, installing the J37 transmission onto a J35 with the stock J35 flywheel and a Clutchmasters clutch/PP, and when I got around to bleeding it today it feels like the pedal is only hitting resistance half way down the stroke, like the clutch is only disengaging a little bit. If the J37 flywheel indeed moves the whole PP assembly 2mm outwards towards the TOB, that sounds like my issue since I am using the J35 flywheel, I already lost 2mm of throw from the fork/TOB. I guess I will have to use a 2mm spacer behind the flywheel to make it work.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
No J37 clutch install/test yet, but soon. However I only plan to test the clutch pedal feel after temporarily installing the engine/trans. I decided I probably want a lighter flywheel, however the options are very limited for clutches. Since the CM FX250 kit just uses a modified LuK SA clutch, I figured I would try to find a damped disc to use with the new OEM (LuK) clutch kit that I bought a while ago but never used. I only found one option here that's the right size/spline. Turns out that the OEM Acura Legend (5-speed only) has a conventional clutch and disc that is the same size. The only difference is that the Legend disc is .5mm thicker than the LuK disc. Not sure if this is enough to create any kind of bind, but I plan on testing it anyway. The only possible issue that I see is that this disc was designed for an engine with less torque, so the damping springs might be under-rated. Pics below of Legend OEM disc (made by Exedy) and a new AASCO flywheel.

Hey man, Did you go through with testing the Acura Legend disc yet? How did that go? I'm looking into throwing one into my car as well. Also, does the J37 pressure plate fit the J32A2 flywheel? I might get one of those as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Racer

Sorry, had a closer look at the entire thread - it's a shame to hear that it won't fit the AASCO flywheel. Hopefully it'll work with stock though, that's what I plan to try out. BTW, I did notice that on the above photos the Legend disc was placed into the flywheel the other way around (with the engine side facing outwards). Is there a reason for that?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Brock

If you are using a stock SAC pressure plate, then you can use the Legend disc made by Aisin (six damping springs).
The bulk of the disc hub needs to be on the flywheel side as there isn't enough clearance in the SAC pressure plate.
This is assuming that you are using an Aasco flywheel. The Aisin disc can be obtained from partbull.com but I believe
they will be obsolete soon, so don't wait around.

The OEM J37 pressure plate will not work without custom machining of an Aasco flywheel.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Racer

If you are using a stock SAC pressure plate, then you can use the Legend disc made by Aisin (six damping springs).
The bulk of the disc hub needs to be on the flywheel side as there isn't enough clearance in the SAC pressure plate.
This is assuming that you are using an Aasco flywheel. The Aisin disc can be obtained from partbull.com but I believe

The OEM J37 pressure plate will not work without custom machining of an Aasco flywheel.
No, I'm actually looking into doing something a bit different. I'll be using the stock flywheel, but converting it to a single-mass. And use a SAAB 9-5 pressure plate which is very similar to the one XLR8 uses in their kit - there should be more than enough clearance underneath for the Acura Legend friction disc hub.
But now after looking into your adventures with the pressure plate carving grooves into your Type-S gearbox - I am a bit worried that the SAAB plate might do the same thing to my box. If XLR8 uses a very similar one (visually they are identical) and everything is in proper order, then I guess I should be good to go. But the question really is this: does the stock flywheel have a higher profile than the AASCO one? Have you maybe had them side by side for comparison (J32A2 stock flywheel and AASCO aluminum)? If they're the same height, then everything should be ok, but if the AASCO is thinner - then I might be in trouble...
Old 03-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Racer

BTW, is the Aisin Legend disc together with a stock LUK pressure plate a setup that you've tested? Maybe that is a good idea, it's a shame that I already bought the Exedy piece though...
I'd imagine that fitment with the stock flywheel would be a bit different? If I were to go "friction disc inside out"? Does the AASCO have more or less room for that sort of thing? I've just never held one in my hands before. I'd imagine that stock flywheel has less room to play around with.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Brock

A converted dual mass flywheel? Being frugal or do you prefer the heavy flywheel? I think the dual mass flywheels are too heavy. The Aasco flywheels are a bit too light (around 15 lbs)
but they are high quality. The dimensions are nearly identical to a stock flywheel, so you can use any clutch that is designed to work with the stock flywheel. I would pass on the Excelerate
clutch setup. Unless they changed it in the last two years, it's actually a Honda H22/H23 clutch/disc. This is 225 mm OD whereas the J-series clutch/disc is 240 mm OD.
This results in only an 80% friction area utilization. It's a bad idea. Putting together a clutch setup is not a simple task. Besides confirming dimensions, you need to be able to measure the clamp load.
The pressure plate spring load is not linear and you need to have the appropriate load when the clutch is engaged or you could end up with poor pedal feel, accelerated wear and
possibly running out of slave cylinder piston travel.

Exedy has some informative videos on their website: https://www.exedyusa.com/tech-suppor...n-tech-videos/
Old 03-15-2018, 06:20 AM
Racer

A converted dual mass flywheel? Being frugal or do you prefer the heavy flywheel? I think the dual mass flywheels are too heavy. The Aasco flywheels are a bit too light (around 15 lbs)
but they are high quality. The dimensions are nearly identical to a stock flywheel, so you can use any clutch that is designed to work with the stock flywheel. I would pass on the Excelerate
clutch setup. Unless they changed it in the last two years, it's actually a Honda H22/H23 clutch/disc. This is 225 mm OD whereas the J-series clutch/disc is 240 mm OD.
This results in only an 80% friction area utilization. It's a bad idea. Putting together a clutch setup is not a simple task. Besides confirming dimensions, you need to be able to measure the clamp load.
The pressure plate spring load is not linear and you need to have the appropriate load when the clutch is engaged or you could end up with poor pedal feel, accelerated wear and
possibly running out of slave cylinder piston travel.

Exedy has some informative videos on their website: https://www.exedyusa.com/tech-suppor...n-tech-videos/
An AASCO aluminum flywheel would just cost me waaaay to much with shipping to my country... And they do gut the stock flywheel, so it's not going to be that heavy. The XLR8 clutch is an interesting one. The marking on the hub indeed indicates a Honda HCD806U (actually Exedy) disc (if I'm not mistaken), but if you compare the stock one with the one XLR8 includes in their kits - they look quite different. Maybe they tweak it somehow?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Racer

Well, here goes nothing I guess. So I've bought the Exedy HCD301 disc, a SAAB pressure plate, and I'll probably get the car to a shop next week and try to throw it all in, after converting the flywheel to 1-mass. I'll do a write-up and share what's up once this is underway.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:58 PM
Brock

I really don't see how you could modify the dual mass flywheel. One mass bolts to the crank and the clutch is bolted to the other mass. Post pics of the flywheel when you tear it apart.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM
Racer

I really don't see how you could modify the dual mass flywheel. One mass bolts to the crank and the clutch is bolted to the other mass. Post pics of the flywheel when you tear it apart.
Well, it apparently can be done. I reckon they just tig-weld the two pieces together or something. They somehow took it apart and put it together already (about a year ago), I'm sure they know what they're doing if they offer such a service.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Racer

Ok, so the car's in the shop, I'll be converting the flywheel next week. Clutch engagement became really, really bad, couldn't keep driving around. Probably looking at a new throw-out bearing together with a clutch release fork. Anyway, as soon as we put everything together - I'll probably start a new topic. Hopefully I gathered the right components together and that my theory is correct.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Racer

Ok, so this is kind of a weird one... I purchased an Exedy clutch disc (HCD301), but when I came to pick it up and opened up the box...

Old 03-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Racer

Happens, I guess
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by InspireJ32A
Well, it apparently can be done. I reckon they just tig-weld the two pieces together or something. They somehow took it apart and put it together already (about a year ago), I'm sure they know what they're doing if they offer such a service.
Would you mind taking a picture of the flywheel when you see it. I'm curious if they just tig weld them together as well.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by flexer
Would you mind taking a picture of the flywheel when you see it. I'm curious if they just tig weld them together as well.
Sure, no problem, I'm just as curious to see.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Brock

Exedy obviously sources that disc from Aisin (DH-023). How did everything go? Do you have pics of the modified flywheel?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Racer

Exedy obviously sources that disc from Aisin (DH-023). How did everything go? Do you have pics of the modified flywheel?
Are you sure? The photo you put out of the Exedy disc seems to picture a completely different part from the Aisin DH-023. I mean, completely different.
I haven't gotten my car back, unfortunately...( Hopefully within the next few days, lots of things had to be done, and the gearbox is going to have to come off in a few months yet again...(
If you don't mind, I'll post a link with pictures of the modified flywheel - https://www.drive2.ru/l/497933632921404068/
No worries about clicking the link, there's nothing sketchy there - it's just our biggest automotive social network (something like Wheelwell in USA, I guess).
Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Brock

Originally Posted by InspireJ32A
Are you sure? The photo you put out of the Exedy disc seems to picture a completely different part from the Aisin DH-023. I mean, completely different.
I haven't gotten my car back, unfortunately...( Hopefully within the next few days, lots of things had to be done, and the gearbox is going to have to come off in a few months yet again...(
If you don't mind, I'll post a link with pictures of the modified flywheel - https://www.drive2.ru/l/497933632921404068/
No worries about clicking the link, there's nothing sketchy there - it's just our biggest automotive social network (something like Wheelwell in USA, I guess).
No, not the first disc, that's definitely made by Exedy. The Aisin disc, see post 44 above. Exedy was actually sourcing the Aisin disc for the Legend replacement (HCD809)
for a short while before they decided to completely stop offering the part.

Looks like they just tig welded the two masses together. Did you weigh the flywheel? I'll bet it's only a pound lighter from removing the springs.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Racer

No, not the first disc, that's definitely made by Exedy. The Aisin disc, see post 44 above. Exedy was actually sourcing the Aisin disc for the Legend replacement (HCD809)
for a short while before they decided to completely stop offering the part.

Looks like they just tig welded the two masses together. Did you weigh the flywheel? I'll bet it's only a pound lighter from removing the springs.
Ooooh, right! That makes perfect sense why my Exedy box had an Aisin disc. It obviously worked out for the better
No, that's not exactly what they did. First of all, they machined a hub-spacer kind of thing. They heated the masses up and fitted them onto this hub, while doing some serious welding inside around it, and finished the whole thing off by securing both masses with some rivets. Here are some photos of how the flywheel used to look before the conversion, just so you can compare:

Stock dual-mass

Converted to 1-mass

Stock dual-mass (take a close look at the rivet recesses in the back plate)

And here you can see they've done something there, plus you can really tell that the hub is different
Old 04-04-2018, 05:58 AM
Racer

Those visible welds are completely supplementary, they told me that there really wasn't much of a need for them.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Racer

Ok, so today wasn't a great day. After putting everything together, the car wouldn't start. The worst part is that the motor wouldn't even turn over manually. The possible culprit has to be the flywheel: apparently, the hub part protrudes a bit too much given the bell housing clearances, and the clutch pressure plate is probably pressed against the gearbox. Gearbox has to come off, and the flywheel machined.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Brock

From the pics that you posted, it looks more like the modified flywheel has the mounting hub lower. So the flywheel would actually be closer to the engine, not the trans.
It's not a good idea to change the distance of the flywheel from the engine/trans as it could affect the starter engagement. BTW, if you find that you need to move the flywheel
closer to the trans, you can use a torque plate from an automatic as a spacer. I think it's about 2mm thick. Look at some online parts illustrations and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:33 AM
Racer

From the pics that you posted, it looks more like the modified flywheel has the mounting hub lower. So the flywheel would actually be closer to the engine, not the trans.
It's not a good idea to change the distance of the flywheel from the engine/trans as it could affect the starter engagement. BTW, if you find that you need to move the flywheel
closer to the trans, you can use a torque plate from an automatic as a spacer. I think it's about 2mm thick. Look at some online parts illustrations and you will see what I'm talking about.
It's an optical illusion. Here's another photo, you can see that it's further away.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:00 AM
Racer

My shop just confirmed that the clutch pressure plate was pressed up against the box

Quick Reply: Your ultimate guide to OEM TL flywheels and clutches