Weight Reduction? The emaciated TL.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 06:28 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Right, that was my point about the roll cage.

I just can't imagine that cutting up a monobody chassis and replacing it with CF can be as strong as the original structure. How would the CF be adhered to the existing steel that is as strong as a steel to steel weld? That is the part I don't understand.

I understand CF being used in the autos you mentioned, but they are designed with the use of CF in mind. Not an afterthought.

The strength of the TL chassis should not in any foreseeable way be weakened through the application of a CF roof versus the stock roof, I'm not sure, however if the stock roof is aluminum sheet metal or not, and dependent on what type of metal it is could tell us how much weight we'll be dropping from the highest point of the vehicle, which should enhance the handling properties of the car. Bear in mind this IS NOT the same type of carbon fiber that is used to pretty up the interior of our TLs, this will be Carbon Fiber reinforced with Kevlar, this is the same material used on the new Boeing 787. This high grade stuff with very long and complicated manufacturing process.

You guys are right about the installation it cannot be welded on, special riveting and adhessive will need to be applied, which we will seek through the manufacturer, they have done this type of work for many vehicles and they can make a mold for pretty much anything.

We will NOT be the first to pursue this kind of modification to a street car, as a matter of fact a carbon fiber roof has been produced for the Evolution and coincedentally the structure of the roof for the Evolution and the TL are the same.

Installing this would require the removal of the welds from the old roof, removal of the weather stripping on either side of the roof and removal of the winshield glass in both the front and rear of the TL.
Old 10-15-2007 | 06:47 PM

If someone can find the service manual instructions on how to remove the roof, and the part number for the roof panel, that would be great. I need to give measurements.
Old 10-15-2007 | 07:26 PM
05 TL

Do you still have the counter balance weight in the trunk lid?

And is that an AMP in the trunk too?

All the talk of CF... How much more does fiberglass weigh? Hood and trunk lid...
Old 10-15-2007 | 07:31 PM

The light colored adhessive is probably the same that will be used to keep the CF roof on.
Old 10-15-2007 | 07:55 PM
05 TL

And if you are not using that battery... Its dead weight too...
Old 10-15-2007 | 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Eoanou
If someone can find the service manual instructions on how to remove the roof, and the part number for the roof panel, that would be great. I need to give measurements.
Maybe I'm just totally off the mark here. Are you talking about the entire roof or just the moonroof?

I just checked the service manual and there's no reference to removing the roof.
Old 10-15-2007 | 09:05 PM

Well no matter, I'm going to remove the sun roof, the motor and all that and replace it with a panel, bondo it together, sand it down, paint, then CF vinyl, should be 30lbs of weight loss, and a lot cheaper, and I could use practically anything to replace the glass since the rest of the roof is reinforced to support a sunroof. I could lose more weight, probably 10lbs more, at least by doing the whole roof, but oh well.

Weird how you didn't find anything in the service manual, what happens if there is a hard dent to remove on the roof from a rock falling on the roof?
Old 10-16-2007 | 08:37 AM
Safety Car

Weird how you didn't find anything in the service manual, what happens if there is a hard dent to remove on the roof from a rock falling on the roof?
I've never seen individual parts for a unibody structure in the retail world. Maybe a bodyshop has access to them.

There are several methods for doing what you mention without requiring an entire roof replacement. A person with a frame straightener, welder and all the other tools of the trade can do wonders.

I hope you're not taking my posts as negatives. Just curious and asking lots of questions.

Looking forward to what you all come up with.
Old 10-16-2007 | 08:57 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Maybe I'm just totally off the mark here. Are you talking about the entire roof or just the moonroof?

I just checked the service manual and there's no reference to removing the roof.
its not in the standard service manual. there are three manuals made for the car by helms. there is the service manual, electrical manual, and body work manual for the car. you need the body work one to know that info. I believe the manual is like 45 for 50 for that one.
Old 10-16-2007 | 09:45 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

well the roof definitely comes off or else why would it have a part number of its own - 62100-SEP-A20ZZ

PS. did you remove the headliner (sunroof motor included) and everything else up there...? if so is it glued or is it held on with clips?
Old 10-16-2007 | 09:59 AM
zero to biotch:3.0s

oh shit here we go again
Old 10-16-2007 | 11:08 AM
tehLEGOman

Thanks for checking out what i've gone and done!

A CF roof might be complicated, and a little more than i'm capable of doing. Maybe extracting the sunroof components and filling in the rectangle with something. Right now i've got the headliner about to come out...just have to figure out how to take the dome lights apart.
Old 10-16-2007 | 11:35 AM

I've never seen individual parts for a unibody structure in the retail world. Maybe a bodyshop has access to them.

There are several methods for doing what you mention without requiring an entire roof replacement. A person with a frame straightener, welder and all the other tools of the trade can do wonders.

I hope you're not taking my posts as negatives. Just curious and asking lots of questions.

Looking forward to what you all come up with.

Of course not, I don't mind your questions at all, a CFP roof is quite a task. It requires removal of the welds of the original roof, removal of the winshields, removal of the over head carpeting, and who knows what kind of frame support is hidden under the roof that will make removal a hassle. Of course those would remain there but they would get in the way of removing the welds of he roof.
Old 10-16-2007 | 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Thanks for checking out what i've gone and done!

A CF roof might be complicated, and a little more than i'm capable of doing. Maybe extracting the sunroof components and filling in the rectangle with something. Right now i've got the headliner about to come out...just have to figure out how to take the dome lights apart.

Take pics, I need to know whats above the headliner, and I need to see the welds.

And actually I was thinking if a simple sunroof removal would worth it.

Stillhere do you know by any chance the measurements of the stock roof, lenghtxwidth? I could get a better estimate from the shop.
Old 10-16-2007 | 11:55 AM
RAR

You're probably right about the fumes, haven't really thought about that. There are some vents right beside the battery in the corner of the trunk though. I'm not sure what they're for but there are little flaps that open and close.
I believe those are for venting air when you close the trunk
Old 10-16-2007 | 12:37 PM
Time to Climb

eric, if you need a hand taking the tl apart just hit me up! i have fridays and sundays off, though i usually go in on fridays anyway ...
Old 10-16-2007 | 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Take pics, I need to know whats above the headliner, and I need to see the welds.

And actually I was thinking if a simple sunroof removal would worth it.

Stillhere do you know by any chance the measurements of the stock roof, lenghtxwidth? I could get a better estimate from the shop.
A sunroof CF plug would be a lot more feasible, and realistic to the TL crowd. Although I do love my sunroof.
Old 10-16-2007 | 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leedogg
I believe those are for venting air when you close the trunk
Well, I think it's best if you fab an enclosure to the battery, and create a hole with a 1/2 inch pvc pipe leading the air out of the enclosure to the outside of the car. That will be a lot safer. I'll post pics.
Old 10-16-2007 | 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Of course not, I don't mind your questions at all, a CFP roof is quite a task. It requires removal of the welds of the original roof, removal of the winshields, removal of the over head carpeting, and who knows what kind of frame support is hidden under the roof that will make removal a hassle. Of course those would remain there but they would get in the way of removing the welds of he roof.
Cool, I just don't want it to turn into the other thread on weight reduction!
Old 10-16-2007 | 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Get rid of all that sound deadening in the rear!

Btw, are you going to vent the battery fumes at all? It's going to be a bit safer especially since you have this wide open passage from the rear battery to the front cabin.
i dont know about braille... but typically those smaller batteries are dry cell... if the braille is not i would just ditch it for an odyssey, that's what i run and it's awesome.
Old 10-16-2007 | 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CleanCL
i dont know about braille... but typically those smaller batteries are dry cell... if the braille is not i would just ditch it for an odyssey, that's what i run and it's awesome.

Odyssey batteries are very good, a lot of corevette guys looking to ditch their OEM for a smaller replacement use these batteries, they weigh next to nothing. If they can power up a very high displacement V8, there certainly no problems for our V6.
Old 10-16-2007 | 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by aznbo187
A sunroof CF plug would be a lot more feasible, and realistic to the TL crowd. Although I do love my sunroof.

I wouldn't want to make the plug out of CF it wouldn't look right, what I plan on doing is just plugging it with anything then putting a vinyl overlay, that looks like CF, and then brag about a CF roof.
Old 10-16-2007 | 03:32 PM
DER NEUE ^

Roof Panel

Installation

1. Clamp the new roof panel, and measure the
passenger's compartment diagonally.

2. Check the body dimensions, door and windshield opening (see page 4-6), rear window and trunk lid
opening (see page 4-7). and check the width of the roof molding installation, then tack weld the clamped position.

3. Temporarily install the windshield, doors, and trunk lid, then check for differences in level and clearance.

4. Do the main welding.

. Weld the roof panel (A) to the outer panel (8) and
roof side rail (C).
. From inside the vehicle, weld the roof side rail
(D) and roof panel stiffener (E).
. Install the mounting bolts for the rear damper
stiffener (F).
. The roof area must be free of burrs and/or sharp
edges to prevent damage to the side cartain
airbag during deployment.

B __ /,15.5 mm {O.51 in.)

Old 10-16-2007 | 03:34 PM
DER NEUE ^

Not much but I hope this helps!
Old 10-16-2007 | 03:48 PM
DER NEUE ^

Lightbulb Roof Panel Welds, Removal and Installation

Not much, but I hope this helps a bit! They don't provide any dimensions!

Roof Panel

Installation

1. Clamp the new roof panel, and measure the
passenger's compartment diagonally.

2. Check the body dimensions, door and windshield opening (see page 4-6), rear window and trunk lid
opening (see page 4-7). and check the width of the roof molding installation, then tack weld the clamped position.

3. Temporarily install the windshield, doors, and trunk lid, then check for differences in level and clearance.

4. Do the main welding.

. Weld the roof panel (A) to the outer panel (8) and
roof side rail (C).
. From inside the vehicle, weld the roof side rail
(D) and roof panel stiffener (E).
. Install the mounting bolts for the rear damper
stiffener (F).
. The roof area must be free of burrs and/or sharp
edges to prevent damage to the side cartain
airbag during deployment.

B __ /,15.5 mm {O.51 in.)

Old 10-16-2007 | 03:56 PM

This is exactly what I thought the roof to be.

But I don't know what they mean with the; B __ /,15.5 mm {O.51 in.)
Old 10-16-2007 | 04:02 PM
DER NEUE ^

Disregard B __ /,15.5 mm {O.51 in.), that's a typo on my part, I don't where that came from lol
Old 10-16-2007 | 04:54 PM
Racer

Carbon fiber roof won’t be any lighter than original. It has to be at least 4 times ticker and material is not that much lighter. Original weights only 15 pounds, anyways.

If you really want to save some weight up there cut a piece of steel sheet metal 0.5 mm tick about 3” bigger than moon roof each way, shape it to the roof curvature, cut out moon roof with jug saw, take out all its mechanism and supports, glue and pop rivet your new steel roof and paint it.

If you really want to be radical go for mid engine setup. You don’t have rear seats anyways. Aluminum block V8 is not much heavier than TL’s V6, but can produce much much more power. 600 HP easily. No need to talk about weight distribution and handling.
Old 10-16-2007 | 05:01 PM
2600lb CL

Bad ass. Props! Nothing sexier than track cars.
Old 10-16-2007 | 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

That CF roof idea is just way too much work and $$ IMO. If I was going custom anything, it would be a fat rear strut bar. This would probably feel just as good or even better.

Plus more ppl would probably buy this since costs won't be too high...
Old 10-16-2007 | 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow.........mid engine aluminum v8 w/ RWD, now your talking some serious modifications
Old 10-16-2007 | 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pohljm
Wow.........mid engine aluminum v8 w/ RWD, now your talking some serious modifications
Well, if you just strip all you don’t need on a track you can’t sell that car for any reasonable money. But if you put V8 with bunch of horses behind your seat, coupled with Porsche 6 speed manual, some big Brembos all around, 335x19 at the rear and 285x19 at front, tucked under some CF fenders … you can sell it twice much you invested in it. But than, who would sell it!
Old 10-16-2007 | 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by mishar
Carbon fiber roof won’t be any lighter than original. It has to be at least 4 times ticker and material is not that much lighter. Original weights only 15 pounds, anyways.

If you really want to save some weight up there cut a piece of steel sheet metal 0.5 mm tick about 3” bigger than moon roof each way, shape it to the roof curvature, cut out moon roof with jug saw, take out all its mechanism and supports, glue and pop rivet your new steel roof and paint it.

If you really want to be radical go for mid engine setup. You don’t have rear seats anyways. Aluminum block V8 is not much heavier than TL’s V6, but can produce much much more power. 600 HP easily. No need to talk about weight distribution and handling.

Thank you, now that I know that the stock roof only weighs 15lbs it would be frivilous to contruct a CF hood.

I will see what we can do as far as a moon roof plug is concerned.
Old 10-16-2007 | 10:38 PM
DER NEUE ^

Originally Posted by mishar

How the hell do you know that that roof panel weighs only 15lbs? What you've taken it apart and weighed it?

You gotta be realistic man, mid V8, you're kidding right???

Now the removal of a sunroof with all it's guts is a good idea and won't be costing nearly as much as cf roof!

I would really concentrate on removing the weight up front now, the rear is light as is!
Old 10-16-2007 | 10:53 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by Cocoa
Bad ass. Props! Nothing sexier than track cars.
I think your CL is stripped out on the inside if i remember correctly!
Old 10-16-2007 | 10:57 PM
tehLEGOman

So i just got done taking the headliner out and it looks pretty neat now that everything up top is exposed. I can see the sunroof contraption and how its bolted to the frame. From what i can tell a CF roof might be a little bit too involved. The removal of the sunroof assembly is something to consider.
Old 10-16-2007 | 11:09 PM

So i just got done taking the headliner out and it looks pretty neat now that everything up top is exposed. I can see the sunroof contraption and how its bolted to the frame. From what i can tell a CF roof might be a little bit too involved. The removal of the sunroof assembly is something to consider.

Any chance you can see how much the sun roof components weigh?
Old 10-16-2007 | 11:28 PM
tehLEGOman

Any chance you can see how much the sun roof components weigh?
haha theres a 50/50 chance i might take it apart and see if i can slide it out the back door if i find the right angle. If i do that i'll go weigh it and if i deem it a substanial amount of weight i might just have to plug that hole up with something!
Old 10-17-2007 | 12:03 AM
Senior Moderator

haha theres a 50/50 chance i might take it apart and see if i can slide it out the back door if i find the right angle. If i do that i'll go weigh it and if i deem it a substanial amount of weight i might just have to plug that hole up with something!
well, the window being of some sort of glass plus the motors, the plastic pieces, pullies and metal cables should add up to more than 20 pounds, at least.
Old 10-17-2007 | 02:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ACTROS
How the hell do you know that that roof panel weighs only 15lbs? What you've taken it apart and weighed it?

You gotta be realistic man, mid V8, you're kidding right???
I’ve measured it with tape measure and I know that metal is steel 0.5 mm tick. Result is 15 lbs.

I am not kidding about mid V8. It would be easier and cleaner mod than installing turbo on TL engine.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction? The emaciated TL.