Trying to figure out my weight savings based on these mods...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Trying to figure out my weight savings based on these mods...

So I'm having a hard time finding the weight of the OEM stock versions of the equipment listed below so that I can compare the two. Here's what I have done on just the motor alone -

AEM Cold Air Intake
ATLP V2 J-Pipe
ATLP Hi-Flow Cat
XLR8 Base Duals
P2R Throttle Body Spacer
RV6 Hi-Flow PreCats

Then, this is the official weight reduction I've done -

Hood Insulation Delete (1.8lbs)
Weather Strip (above hood) Delete (1lb)
Engine Bay Covers Delete (6lbs)
Spare Tire Delete (34lbs)
Rear Seat Arm Rest Delete (6lbs)
Rear Floor Mats (6lbs)
Full Trunk Insulation/Liner Delete (23lbs)

So does anyone know my TOTAL weight savings factoring in both lists? Thanks so much in advance!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
I have you checked or compared your list to (IIRC) inaccurate on his thread the TL diet?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Pro

Yeah but I don't remember seeing anything for exhaust parts. Unless I overlooked it.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
One way to find OEM weight is by going to OEMACURAPARTS.com and add each part individually, check out, and see what the shipping weight is.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Did you save the parts you removed so you can weigh them? I do know the J-pipe I have is noticeably lighter than the stock J-pipe and 3rd cat. But I didn't weigh either to know exactly how much. AEM v2 is reasonably lightweight but the factory set-up isn't that heavy.

If you want to take weight out of your car that really matters, lighter wheels is the way to go if its in your budget. Recent article in one of the car mags about how much quicker the new Mustang GT350R is with the carbon wheels. Of course, the weight difference is pretty significant (15 lbs per wheel) but with roll-on acceleration there was something like a half second difference.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:56 AM
Pro

Oh wow. Definitely looking into lighter rims then.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Did you save the parts you removed so you can weigh them? I do know the J-pipe I have is noticeably lighter than the stock J-pipe and 3rd cat. But I didn't weigh either to know exactly how much. AEM v2 is reasonably lightweight but the factory set-up isn't that heavy.

If you want to take weight out of your car that really matters, lighter wheels is the way to go if its in your budget. Recent article in one of the car mags about how much quicker the new Mustang GT350R is with the carbon wheels. Of course, the weight difference is pretty significant (15 lbs per wheel) but with roll-on acceleration there was something like a half second difference.
I read that article too. 60 lbs difference in rolling stock plus the roughly 40 other odd pounds the R is lighter, will not make that profound a difference in acceleration, esp. on already relatively fast cars and esp. at higher speeds. The GT350R was obviously stronger than the GT350 and/or they had different final drive ratios.

Regardless, both cars are pretty damn awesome. The GT350 is a bargain at what, around 47k?