AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/)
-   -   TL's turbo, twin turbo or supercharger. What's best, and where to buy it! (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/tls-turbo-twin-turbo-supercharger-whats-best-where-buy-631671/)

andyTL'07 01-08-2008 06:28 PM

TL's turbo, twin turbo or supercharger. What's best, and where to buy it!

Hey guys... What's up. Who can help me whith my problem -- please help!... I'm interesting how to add to my TL over 150HP. What's better turbo or supercharger. Does exost gonna add some HP.

ballinfizzle89 01-08-2008 06:31 PM

:doh:

No turbo..no twinturbo...

Comptech did however come out with a supercharger kit. It will put you around the 330hp area I believe. Kit costs around 3k-4k and installation is another 1k.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zBNJxiOg2UY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T5ouVjuq5LA

spiike 01-08-2008 06:43 PM

Welcome to the forum, and you CAN get a turbo.. I'll tell you how.

Go to a mitsubishi dealership and trade the TL for an evo. Suburu, Audi, and BMW dealerships will also suffice. But, ballin is correct there is no Turbo and the supercharger is for the base TL not TL-S and only gives 40-60 not 150.

Read more here.
http://www.autocarparts.com/p_Compte...ercharger-Kit/

Bearcat94 01-08-2008 08:25 PM

From what I've read, I don't think an SC plus EVERYTHING else will yeild 150 HP. 80 - 90 maybe ???

BLACKURA_NY 01-08-2008 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by spiike

Go to a mitsubishi dealership and trade the TL for an evo. Suburu, Audi, and BMW dealerships will also suffice. But, ballin is correct there is no Turbo and the supercharger is for the base TL not TL-S and only gives 40-60 not 150.

Read more here.

hilarious lol

MugenR 01-08-2008 09:21 PM

we sharing supercharged youtube vids? :)

I'll play.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6OnV0V2dPU8

get the CT Supercharger, done deal, be happy :)

type-s09 01-08-2008 10:50 PM

i wish there were some good supercharger videos out there....like racing or in car pulls or somethin...i come up with the good n/a vids..wheres the blower vids?

aznbenz07 01-08-2008 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by type-s09
i wish there were some good supercharger videos out there....like racing or in car pulls or somethin...i come up with the good n/a vids..wheres the blower vids?

I got your back, I'm building the cash right now. :yum: And when I get s/c'd your going to feel like your in the passenger seat with me. That's how good my vids are going to be. lol I like your g35 race video by the way, the g seemed like a bad driver though.

ballinfizzle89 01-08-2008 11:20 PM

lookinco has some pretty badass vids

04accordcpe 01-08-2008 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by MugenR
we sharing supercharged youtube vids? :)

I'll play.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6OnV0V2dPU8

get the CT Supercharger, done deal, be happy :)

your car sounds just like mine ;) gotta love the sound of the comptech exhaust :yum: do you have a custom CAI yet?

BTW, what were your numbers?

eccjak 01-09-2008 12:30 AM

no traction.......

MugenR 01-09-2008 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by blusap
your car sounds just like mine ;) gotta love the sound of the comptech exhaust :yum: do you have a custom CAI yet?

BTW, what were your numbers?

the dyno pulls were with comptech S/C restrictive intake, no methanol and a stock crank pulley.
but I pulled a 291.4 hp to the wheels and 236.1 trq.

haven't been back to the dyno after that. should though :thumbsup:

04accordcpe 01-09-2008 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by MugenR
the dyno pulls were with comptech S/C restrictive intake, no methanol and a stock crank pulley.
but I pulled a 291.4 hp to the wheels and 236.1 trq.

haven't been back to the dyno after that. should though :thumbsup:

not bad, not bad, considering your an auto and still using the comptech ACM POS... once you ditch that and get a good tune, you can get an extra 10-15whp no problem

i wouldnt call the comptech intake restrictive. it does muffle the sound of the SC though.

V-Sic 01-09-2008 09:17 AM

They need to make a S/C for the tl-s......i dont wanna mod much but i'd have to get the S/C for my tl-s if they come out with one.

1FastVtec 01-10-2008 11:23 AM

Read more here.

:pofl: :pofl: :pofl:

dr_brains510 01-10-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by V-Sic
They need to make a S/C for the tl-s......i dont wanna mod much but i'd have to get the S/C for my tl-s if they come out with one.

i was talking with comptech and there should be a s/c for the 07-08 TLS hopefully by summer; atleast thats what the ppl at comptech told me. they said they are waiting to get a TLS from a dealership. I offered to bring my TLS but they are located in Sacramento so I couldn't do it. Anyone willing to sacrifice your TLS for the rest of us? lol

spiike 01-10-2008 06:40 PM

brains, did you also ask them when the icebox will be out for the TL? I wonder if that will be "this summer" too.

dr_brains510 01-10-2008 08:09 PM

brains, did you also ask them when the icebox will be out for the TL? I wonder if that will be "this summer" too.

spiike, ya when i spoke with them they told me the smaller mods like exhaust, icebox, etc. should be out pretty soon. i don't know what pretty soon means but they are going to start w/ those b4 they make the s/c. that's what i think atleast. the time table for all this he said should be done around summer if not later. the main reason he gave for not having a lot of these things already was b/c of the lack of a TLS. he said that they should be getting one soon. hope that helps.

V-Sic 01-10-2008 10:57 PM

maybe be if all acuzinerZ call comptech and inquire about the S/C for tl-s they wil make it faster.....cmon guys help us out !!!! LOL

jumbosizeme79 02-02-2008 09:36 PM

man tl-s s/c would be hot!

Soseductivesf 02-03-2008 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by dr_brains510
i was talking with comptech and there should be a s/c for the 07-08 TLS hopefully by summer; atleast thats what the ppl at comptech told me. they said they are waiting to get a TLS from a dealership. I offered to bring my TLS but they are located in Sacramento so I couldn't do it. Anyone willing to sacrifice your TLS for the rest of us? lol

Damn that sounds sweet! I just picked up an 08 type s! So, are they going to do it for free if i bring them my car? I still have my 03 so I wouldn't mind leaving it with them

ThezeSkillz 08-14-2008 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
:doh:

No turbo..no twinturbo...

Comptech did however come out with a supercharger kit. It will put you around the 330hp area I believe. Kit costs around 3k-4k and installation is another 1k.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zBNJxiOg2UY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T5ouVjuq5LA

turbo can be done if u have 6 spd and limited slip differential. the problem that I ran into while discussing the possible turbo layout is I do not own TL-S ..... :(

yet.

no turbo kit is available to my knowledge, but it can be fabricated ....

o4Komodo 08-14-2008 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ThezeSkillz
turbo can be done if u have 6 spd and limited slip differential. the problem that I ran into while discussing the possible turbo layout is I do not own TL-S ..... :(

yet.

no turbo kit is available to my knowledge, but it can be fabricated ....

I thought that a turbo could be done regardless... and that the main issue was that we need tuning or something.

ThezeSkillz 08-14-2008 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I thought that a turbo could be done regardless... and that the main issue was that we need tuning or something.

it could be done regardless if you would like to replace stock automatic tranny within about 48 hrs....

the above information came from my motor guy probably in liu of my driving style primarily and the fcgt , but reality is the turbo would not blow off appropritely (in time) and would continue to spool...

if someone has accomplished this task and I am incorrect, please let me know....

my baby needs the boost

csmeance 08-15-2008 09:29 PM

it could be done regardless if you would like to replace stock automatic tranny within about 48 hrs....

the above information came from my motor guy probably in liu of my driving style primarily and the fcgt , but reality is the turbo would not blow off appropritely (in time) and would continue to spool...

if someone has accomplished this task and I am incorrect, please let me know....

my baby needs the boost

you are almost 100% incorrect. The TL's ECU has no method of being tuned, the car uses Drive-By-Wire and back-up systems that help to over-ride many of the piggy-back systems like the emanage ultimate. The transmission has nothing to do with this, its only tuning that is holding back the car, and if you did replace the trans, you would have millions of errors to deal with, for example LIMP mode. Your motor guy doesn't know the real issue with the TL, he is just making generalized statements. Also the TL has handled near 400 WHP from nitrous applications so the tranny won't break so easily. Acuratein has been s/c'ed for over 110K on his trans.

csmeance 08-15-2008 09:36 PM

my baby needs the boost

you are almost 100% incorrect. The TL's ECU has no method of being tuned, the car uses Drive-By-Wire and back-up systems that help to over-ride many of the piggy-back systems like the emanage ultimate. The transmission has nothing to do with this, its only tuning that is holding back the car, and if you did replace the trans, you would have millions of errors to deal with, for example LIMP mode. Your motor guy doesn't know the real issue with the TL, he is just making generalized statements.

ThezeSkillz 11-16-2008 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 9272966)
you are almost 100% incorrect. The TL's ECU has no method of being tuned, the car uses Drive-By-Wire and back-up systems that help to over-ride many of the piggy-back systems like the emanage ultimate. The transmission has nothing to do with this, its only tuning that is holding back the car, and if you did replace the trans, you would have millions of errors to deal with, for example LIMP mode. Your motor guy doesn't know the real issue with the TL, he is just making generalized statements.

SO........

TO all the intelligent engineers, network admins, and entrepeneurs in this forum.....

Can we make this work?

We can use Too Much Blue as guinea pig TL..... there HAS GOTto be some way to pull this off..... some way to tune it... maybe combination of two seperate fuel air regulation devices?

I hate cars 11-16-2008 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ThezeSkillz (Post 9271237)

my baby needs the boost

Would not blow off in time and continue to spool? That makes no sense. The blowoff valve releases intake pressure when you let off the gas under boost. The wastegate controls boost pressure.

As far as fabrication, many shops could do it. But the problem is tuning, just like everyone else said.

A turbo at the same psi as the supercharger should yield an extra 40-50whp.

csmeance 11-16-2008 08:26 PM

there might be a way for us to get it done, swap to an accord J30 ECU and then tune that like all the other twin turbo v6 accords. Only downsides would be 1. Loss of SS for automatics for sure, and maybe a loss of other systems like VSA. This is just a guess for know...

lifetimeofwar 11-17-2008 02:15 AM

I'd go Twin Turbo.

Xiomaro 11-18-2008 02:13 AM

there's almost no way to do twins. the engine bay has almost no room. unfortunately a lot of big company's are abandoning the Third Gen TL. I've been deep in research since i got the car, and i'm extremely sad :(

04accordcpe 11-18-2008 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Xiomaro (Post 10198475)
there's almost no way to do twins. the engine bay has almost no room. unfortunately a lot of big company's are abandoning the Third Gen TL. I've been deep in research since i got the car, and i'm extremely sad :(

its been done a couple of times with the 7th gen accords, which is basically the same car so its very doable. yes its a tight package, but it works. whats really nice is honda did most of the work for us by casting the manifolds right on the heads, which in turn work like turbo manifolds and will save you alot of time and money getting some custom ones made. just simply bolt the turbo's and figure where you want to run all your piping (wish it was easy as it sounded lol) ;)

Originally Posted by csmeance
there might be a way for us to get it done, swap to an accord J30 ECU and then tune that like all the other twin turbo v6 accords. Only downsides would be 1. Loss of SS for automatics for sure, and maybe a loss of other systems like VSA. This is just a guess for know...

why would you want to do that? theres relatively no difference from the accords j30 ecu all the way up to the type-s j35's ecu. if the aem FI/C worked for me, no doubt it will work for you TL guys. its just a matter of calling boomslang and having a PnP harness made for those that dont want to hardwire it in.

remember, one of the other 7th gen accords thats SC'd has the TL ecu installed. the frankenstein ultimate/blue combo works the exact same for him as it does for me, so im 99.9% sure it will for the TL-S also. :D

stheman 12-02-2008 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe (Post 10198555)
its been done a couple of times with the 7th gen accords, which is basically the same car so its very doable. yes its a tight package, but it works. whats really nice is honda did most of the work for us by casting the manifolds right on the heads, which in turn work like turbo manifolds and will save you alot of time and money getting some custom ones made. just simply bolt the turbo's and figure where you want to run all your piping (wish it was easy as it sounded lol) ;)

why would you want to do that? theres relatively no difference from the accords j30 ecu all the way up to the type-s j35's ecu. if the aem FI/C worked for me, no doubt it will work for you TL guys. its just a matter of calling boomslang and having a PnP harness made for those that dont want to hardwire it in.

remember, one of the other 7th gen accords thats SC'd has the TL ecu installed. the frankenstein ultimate/blue combo works the exact same for him as it does for me, so im 99.9% sure it will for the TL-S also. :D

How did that work out for him I working on a build myself and looked into the TL ECU

fosterschoice 12-02-2008 08:18 PM

Onboard SC Video

It's no type-s but if you can make the sc fit and run dual greddy's for engine management you might be in business, for only about $6500 or so...

Good luck must of the crew that has the SC setup has flew by that $ amount.:2cents:

http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MOV00144.flv

jdmitr22 12-02-2008 09:58 PM

i wanna go TT but tuning sucks, the trans will blow to pieces, and the engine prolly wont hold much...

hmm k24 swap is in my head...lighter, cheaper to make fast..actually has aftermarket support...hmmm

I hate cars 12-02-2008 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jdmitr22 (Post 10246738)
i wanna go TT but tuning sucks, the trans will blow to pieces, and the engine prolly wont hold much...

hmm k24 swap is in my head...lighter, cheaper to make fast..actually has aftermarket support...hmmm

Yes, because that's so much easier than bolting on a supercharger and figuring out the tuning.

Besides tuning, you don't NEED aftermarket support for normal engine mods. The J32 is just an engine. Any good shop can port the heads, companies can regrind cams, JE will custom make any piston you want, the same goes for any of the major rod manufacturers.

04accordcpe 12-02-2008 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by stheman (Post 10244849)
How did that work out for him I working on a build myself and looked into the TL ECU

why were you thinking of installing the TL ECU? it worked out just as good for him as it did for me.

erick3 12-02-2008 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by spiike (Post 9057513)

Read more here.

:pofl: lol

NedShneebly 12-03-2008 06:55 AM

Why do I think it wouldn't be that difficult for GReddy to offer a Ultimate/Blue hybrid model for Accord/TL tuners? I'm sure they're not that different at the early stages of manufacturing. Has anyone ever informed GReddy that we have to buy 2 of their boxes to get a full tune? I think the footprint of this community could promise them X amount of sales if they hooked it up.

*cue Stillhere, I hate cars and 04accordcpe telling me why this is the dumbest idea ever...*

I hate cars 12-03-2008 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by NedShneebly (Post 10247526)
Why do I think it wouldn't be that difficult for GReddy to offer a Ultimate/Blue hybrid model for Accord/TL tuners? I'm sure they're not that different at the early stages of manufacturing. Has anyone ever informed GReddy that we have to buy 2 of their boxes to get a full tune? I think the footprint of this community could promise them X amount of sales if they hooked it up.

*cue Stillhere, I hate cars and 04accordcpe telling me why this is the dumbest idea ever...*

LOL. You know more about aftermarket Honda ECUs than I do.