TL-S Hydrolocked..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good news bro! you lucked out of this one...
Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry but that avoidable

you 20ft from your house correct? shouldnt u be aware that it floods right there? you should of took a different route.

theres a street by me that floods all the time, i have to take a 10 minute detour to get around it but its worth it
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy to hear...that scares me to death. One of the reasons I haven't done that yet.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:48 PM
07 TL-S

Whewwwwww. This is why I didn't go with the cai. Even tho I know it's better. But glad to hear that everything turned out ok. $500+ is better than a new engine!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Damn. just read this thread. Glad everything worked out for you.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
i hope this thread doesnt scare anybody off from installing a CAI (especially depending on where you live) even the OP said he is still going to continue to use his... out of the hundereds of maybe even thousands of 3g's on here (not sure how many 3g AZINE members) there hasn't been any problems and some have had it for years (me personally 2)! Its just a random twist of fate if you ask me but ya i guess it's possible to happen...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL Luver
i hope this thread doesnt scare anybody off from installing a CAI (especially depending on where you live) even the OP said he is still going to continue to use his... out of the hundereds of maybe even thousands of 3g's on here (not sure how many 3g AZINE members) there hasn't been any problems and some have had it for years (me personally 2)! Its just a random twist of fate if you ask me but ya i guess it's possible to happen...
If it didn't scare the guy who it happened to I don't think its gonna scare the others

Glad to see it went fine btw
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Stryker TL
Happy to hear...that scares me to death. One of the reasons I haven't done that yet.
seem to have scared this guy?...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
The best thing you can do is pull the plugs and turn it over by hand to get the water out. Then drain the oil and put kerosene in instead of oil, run it for a min then drain. do this 2-3 time changing the oil filter each time. Kerosene with absorbe any water left in the engine. then drain and refil oil twice to make sure its all out. This is what i have done a few times to peoples cars that go into water... its a 50-50 chance you didnt bend something.
Dispite what people think the starter does have enough power to bend things if you have water in your cylinders.
You can't every put kerosene in place of the oil. It's a solvent, not a lubricant. If the hydrolock didn't get it, the kerosene will.

As was said earlier, standard procedure is to pull the plugs and hit the starter preferably with the throttle wide open. Blown any water out of the plugs and try to start. If it starts and you don't hear any abnormal noises, then drain replace the oil. Water in the oil is not the big concern, water in the cylinders is. Change the oil once and take it on an hour long drive down the freeway to get rid of any left over water.

If it bent a rod bad, you'll know it right away. There can be bad noises or it may show up as a misfire especially at idle because it lowers compression. There's always the chance that it slightly bent a rod which would not show up except for possibly a compression test but with the weakened rod, the engine can randomly puke it's guts all over the road later on.

Basically you either hurt it or you didn't. Nothing you do now will change that as long as you pull the plugs and turn it over. If it sounds good once you start it, drive it hard for a while. If it's going to blow it's going to blow.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

What some people recommend is to put "a little" kerosene in the cylinders via the spark plugs holes, and just hand crank it. This only serves to remove remaining water as it evaporates. Not really necessary IMO, a few drops of water in the engine will only come out as steam from the exhaust and might only affect your drag times that day

A day or so after I got it back, I took it for a road trip to the cottage, drove her pretty hard. When I got there, popped the hood, unscrewed the oil cap, and let it steam out. Some steam did indeed come out. Oil should be good now, I'll get her changed again early next week to be safe with the filter.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm The Nickel City Kid.

Originally Posted by Toddy
The city had to pay for my engine on my S10 when I was in high school. I hit a man hole cover that was 3 inches above the surface and tore a hole in the oil pan. Good luck. Hope it works out for you

Still waiting on my settlement from my city. I hit a pot hole on my driver side and my passenger side and curtain airbags deployed. That was just awesome. So, was the bill.

I do think the city is going to pay me though. Hopefully.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J35A8_Party
What some people recommend is to put "a little" kerosene in the cylinders via the spark plugs holes, and just hand crank it. This only serves to remove remaining water as it evaporates. Not really necessary IMO, a few drops of water in the engine will only come out as steam from the exhaust and might only affect your drag times that day

A day or so after I got it back, I took it for a road trip to the cottage, drove her pretty hard. When I got there, popped the hood, unscrewed the oil cap, and let it steam out. Some steam did indeed come out. Oil should be good now, I'll get her changed again early next week to be safe with the filter.
Still a very bad idea to put kerosene in the cylinders. Any water left over is burned off in under a second. You've got 16 power strokes each second at idle. The water should be completely gone the first time that cylinder fires. In one second, it's history.

You shouldn't have to pull the oil fill cap off to let water vapor out. The PCV system is for that. It's under a light suction all the time, drawing in crankcase vapors and burning in them in the engine. If there's still vapors when you pull the cap, there's still water in the oil. Look at the bottom of the cap and see if it looks like a milkshake. Did you change the oil?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

You're right on the PCV valve.. Call me being redundant, just trying to make myself feel better about the whole thing The oil was changed after the water was pulled out by the dealer. I'll make the next change a bit early.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I hydrolocked a few years back...worst way to ruin a fun evening. Especially when its like 1am in the morning. Anywho, had the dealership do there thing and drove it for a few months before I blew a rod through the block. Insurance paid but would only give me a used engine with equivalent miles. Have had it almost 3 years and probably around 50k-60k more miles and all seems good. But know that even if it gets going again you may still have an issue later on. Best of luck!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blkaspec
I hydrolocked a few years back...worst way to ruin a fun evening. Especially when its like 1am in the morning. Anywho, had the dealership do there thing and drove it for a few months before I blew a rod through the block. Insurance paid but would only give me a used engine with equivalent miles. Have had it almost 3 years and probably around 50k-60k more miles and all seems good. But know that even if it gets going again you may still have an issue later on. Best of luck!
Ah man... I'm really hoping that's not the case. Had they done a compression test? Your insurance didn't care that you had the intake, and simply paid out comprehensive?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

So Orleans is flooded again.. Can I just not disconnect my breather hose from the intake temporarily? This would prevent full suction of water up the intake. I realize that it would also draw in unfiltered air from the hole, but I'm not as concerned about that right now. Thoughts? Thanks.
The more this keeps up, the quicker it'll go back to stock.. Not happy.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:58 PM
VGT
Advanced

Originally Posted by greco9885
sorry but that avoidable

you 20ft from your house correct? shouldnt u be aware that it floods right there? you should of took a different route.

theres a street by me that floods all the time, i have to take a 10 minute detour to get around it but its worth it
That's an asinine thing to say - water depth is unpredictable and you sound like you've never been in a flash flood situation. I hydrolocked an Acura Integra about six years ago, never gone with a CAI since. The risk is absolutely not worth the single-digit potential increase in HP.
The following users liked this post:
J35A8_Party (06-27-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

I think what he meant was if you've lived there a long time and it's flooded a few times already, you should know the approximate depth and if you should or shouldn't go through it.

There's a main road by my house that has flooded a few times. It looks like it's a few inches deep but when you drive through it, it's usually 2-2.5' deep. You can just watch the cars stacking up. The people that have lived here for a while know better.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

I've lived in Orleans for just under 20 years and at my current residence for 4 years. This was the first time I've seen flooding like this on my street and around the city. Now I know, and will be taking another route home if and when it happens again.
To second IHC, I've driven through puddles before, this one was unexpectedly deep, couldn't gauge it until it was too late.
I'll be more careful next time. Hopefully some of you can learn from my mistake
Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by VGT
That's an asinine thing to say - water depth is unpredictable and you sound like you've never been in a flash flood situation. I hydrolocked an Acura Integra about six years ago, never gone with a CAI since. The risk is absolutely not worth the single-digit potential increase in HP.
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I think what he meant was if you've lived there a long time and it's flooded a few times already, you should know the approximate depth and if you should or shouldn't go through it.

There's a main road by my house that has flooded a few times. It looks like it's a few inches deep but when you drive through it, it's usually 2-2.5' deep. You can just watch the cars stacking up. The people that have lived here for a while know better.
thank you for understanding what i meant
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
Man I had a close call today, in 20 years of living in Denver I have never seen flash flood rain fall last more than 15 minutes or so. Been running a CAI on my last 4 cars with 100k+ miles of driving, today I came close to hydrolock during apocalyptic rainfall conditions. I was stuck in rush hour during flash flood conditions that lasted for an hour here. Pulled off the highway waiting at a light where there was probably an inch of rain on the ground as soon as I start going through the light cel turns on and car is running in limp mode while stumbling but it didn't die.

I pulled into a parking lot a 1/2 mile after cel came on and parked the car till rain stopped which was 30 minutes later. I then started car, fired right up and cel turned off, which was also surprising I expected cel to last at least 4 starts after it turned on. I assumed that because the filter was hit with so much rain I got a little moisture on the maf sensor triggering the cel. I drove home, car ran and idled fine, no smoke out tail pipes. I pulled intake off tb, didn't see any considerable traces of moisture in intake piping, pulled maf sensor and saw a couple drops of water on it. I then pulled fender liner back and felt the filter and it was wet all over.

If I hydrolocked car would have stalled and not been drivable. Getting the cel wouldn't have happened had I been running stock intake, Hydroshield may have helped. After this experience I'm debating on running stock intake. I believe this to be a once in a blue moon situation but if I ever hydrolocked over my noise maker intake I would be kicking myself repeatedly. Just wanted to share this experience for what it's worth with the forum. Apologies for poor grammar I'm not good at typing on my iPad.

Last edited by tommypenguin; 07-06-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
bypass valve guys.. bypass valve
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Cruisin'

J35A8_Party, wow seems like you have ridiculous amounts of rain but your pain has convinced me to buy a bypass valve and a shield! Goodluck!