Thoughts on XLR8 v2 j-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thoughts on XLR8 v2 j-pipe

Pretty simple, what do you guys think about the Xlr8 v2 jpipe, also this might be a noob question but will i get a CEL because it removes 3rd cat?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
1) search
2) no you will not get a CEL b/c there is NO sensor on the 3rd cat. your car will not know its missing.
3) XLR8 and RV6 j-pipes are similar with similar gains. different materials and slightly different design, different vendors, same price.
your choice.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I think the XLR8 V2 j-pipe is the best j-pipe on the market but I might be a little biased. However, our V2 j-pipe does offer great ground clearance and it does eliminate the third cat. The XLR8 V2 J-pipe is 100% stainless steel, utilizing US made T304 stainless steel. The primaries are equal length 2.25" piping which transition into a 2.5" collector with stainless steel flanges and hangers.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I installed a new V2 Jpipe (xlr8) this weekend, great mod
Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
1) search
2) no you will not get a CEL b/c there is NO sensor on the 3rd cat. your car will not know its missing.
3) XLR8 and RV6 j-pipes are similar with similar gains. different materials and slightly different design, different vendors, same price.
your choice.
Oh really? Did someone dyno these parts and compare them? I'd be interested to see it.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
love mine. The XLR8 V2 j-pipe made 10/10 over the V1(Didnt know the car had it)
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Oh really? Did someone dyno these parts and compare them? I'd be interested to see it.
i said similar. in general from what i have read, a j-pipe is gonna add what 12-15hp? and 10-12 ft/lb torque?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/xlr8-v2-j-pipe-vs-rv6-v2-atlp-v1-xlr8-v1-j-pipe-high-flow-cat-845859/

then again all of these numbers are claims either from dynos from the vendors or from members who have tested them with additional mods (CAI, exhaust).

honestly i don't think 1-2 HP or 1-2 ft/lb torque is gonna make that HUGE of a difference. of course i'm not an expert. my comment was made solely based on the information i have read (and i have read a lot).
EvilVirus (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Former Sponsor

We actually have tested the ATLP V2 against the RV6 and found that the power was actually pretty different. One make more low end power while the order made more high end. I agree that whatever j-pipe you get there is a big advantage over stock. However until the testing is done it is all assumption.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 AM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Thumbs down

1) search
your choice.

dont suggest a jpipe when your tl is bone stock. rv6 and xcelerate jpipe are simialr power? where. when? the only xcelerate dyno on az is from atlas with a accord. not a TL. OP ask mark what he reccomends.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
dont suggest a jpipe when your tl is bone stock. rv6 and xcelerate jpipe are simialr power? where. when? the only xcelerate dyno on az is from atlas with a accord. not a TL. OP ask mark what he reccomends.
going to have my tl-s dynoed tomorrow morning...with the v2 jpipe on.
initial dyno run put down a max of 248.5hp and 225 torque
thats with a k & n typhoon intake (short tube...not cold air intake that runs down the bumper)
i was told by xlr8 that this jpipe should be putting down an additional 20whp
we shall see tomorrow
Old 06-19-2012, 05:43 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
We actually have tested the ATLP V2 against the RV6 and found that the power was actually pretty different. One make more low end power while the order made more high end. I agree that whatever j-pipe you get there is a big advantage over stock. However until the testing is done it is all assumption.
thank you for the info marcus. much appreciated (even though i didn't really like the tone of your initial post). regardless, thanks. hard numbers?

FYI, my TL is NOT bone stock. your TL more stock than mine is. go pick a fight with someone else.

and this comment comes from someone who is anti performance mods and gave a half ass review of the aspec suspension when he only installed the front shocks initially? um, yeah. w/e. i'm not going to get in a pissing match with you.

OP-everyone is going to have their bias as to which j-pipe to get. just search. there area ton of threads on the topic and make your own educated decision on what YOU want. you'll reap gains on whatever one you end up going with.
EvilVirus (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Thank you Tltrigirl, i have been doing alot of reading but as you said there is no consistent info, everyone has theyre opinions. I ordered the XLR8 V2 J-pipe and according to the tracking number it will be here tmro.

Greekdaddy, please post your dyno sheets id love to know what the gains are.
TLtrigirl (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Testing results between the 2 shows what kind of power you want in terms of performance as was already been done. To know about power, it's to really get them and see what kind of power you like. I personally like XLR8 as their power comes in from mid to high end that fits my driving style. For people that want power low down in the RPMs, and having flat power high end will be other people who want DD cars. Personally for vtec motors and building, XLR8 got a pretty good one on the V2 and how it was built and the concept of racing. To really decide, call both owners up, email, read, or whatever, decide, and make your payment.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
I think the XLR8 V2 j-pipe is the best j-pipe on the market but I might be a little biased. However, our V2 j-pipe does offer great ground clearance and it does eliminate the third cat. The XLR8 V2 J-pipe is 100% stainless steel, utilizing US made T304 stainless steel. The primaries are equal length 2.25" piping which transition into a 2.5" collector with stainless steel flanges and hangers.
You definitely use very good stainless if it's the same as your exhausts. My four year old cat back still looks brand new next to my ATLP J pipe, which looks like it's been around since the stone age.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
I always thought the jpipe was the first recommended mod on a bone stock TL. It was my first mod and rightfully so. It's high on the list of mods that offers the best power per dollar ratio and gets rid of one of the least efficient pieces of equipment on the TL - the stock jpipe. It's a rather easy install and bolts up to all the existing exhaust.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by alex2192
Thank you Tltrigirl, i have been doing alot of reading but as you said there is no consistent info, everyone has theyre opinions. I ordered the XLR8 V2 J-pipe and according to the tracking number it will be here tmro.

Greekdaddy, please post your dyno sheets id love to know what the gains are.
well for whoever is interested, i had my car dynoed a few hours ago, similar weather conditions as my first run, same place same dyno...
initial results with a k&n intake (from the first run a few days ago) were 248.5
post jpipe install with the intake and all were 254.3 at approx 6200 rpm

i know that sounds like a little but the majority of the power and torque came in at the midrange, between 3000-4000rpm the car made approx 15-17 additional wheel horsepower and approx 20ft-lbs of torque.

josh at excelerate has my dyno charts and he should be posting them soon.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by greekdaddy000
well for whoever is interested, i had my car dynoed a few hours ago, similar weather conditions as my first run, same place same dyno...
initial results with a k&n intake (from the first run a few days ago) were 248.5
post jpipe install with the intake and all were 254.3 at approx 6200 rpm

i know that sounds like a little but the majority of the power and torque came in at the midrange, between 3000-4000rpm the car made approx 15-17 additional wheel horsepower and approx 20ft-lbs of torque.

josh at excelerate has my dyno charts and he should be posting them soon.

If people look at peak hp, they will never learn what performance is, where it gains and how much it makes is what it defines. Nice to see your happy with the results.
Still waiting on the V2-R sadly.
greekguy000 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 02:16 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
thank you for the info marcus. much appreciated (even though i didn't really like the tone of your initial post). regardless, thanks. hard numbers?

FYI, my TL is NOT bone stock. your TL more stock than mine is. go pick a fight with someone else.

and this comment comes from someone who is anti performance mods and gave a half ass review of the aspec suspension when he only installed the front shocks initially? um, yeah. w/e. i'm not going to get in a pissing match with you.

OP-everyone is going to have their bias as to which j-pipe to get. just search. there area ton of threads on the topic and make your own educated decision on what YOU want. you'll reap gains on whatever one you end up going with.
Tlgirl, a drop in k&n filter is still considered bone stock. you suggest a jpipe when you dont have one.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

We have a new test pending where we will compare the ATLP V2, RV6 V3, and XLR8 V2. It should be interesting to see who makes the most power and where.

For those who have not seen, here is our test of the RV6 and ATLP offerings. I REALLY am looking forward to seeing how the XLR8 compares.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts

Don't worry about him. He's always a troll.

It is getting old in regards to which J-pipe is better. All three are nearly the same in general HP/TQ gained. It is to the point where you buy the product based on price and the customer service.
TLtrigirl (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Tlgirl, a drop in k&n filter is still considered bone stock. you suggest a jpipe when you dont have one.
dude...really...i don't have a drop in K&N filter in my car. you haven't the slightest clue what i've done to my car. go troll somewhere else.

i'm trying to help the OP out...what did you do? at least he appreciated what i contributed to point him the right direction so he can make an educated decision. he maybe 19 but at least he was doing some reading and learning things. you're 28 and you antagonize people for the hell of it just to make yourself feel bigger than you are.

ok i'm done with you.

OP-you're welcome. and enjoy the new toy once you get it installed.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Having done a lot of research on this...I will say this. I don't care what anyone else says...the RV6 V3 jpipe gives you rasp. I'm sure the PCD's and/or HFPC's make it worse...but it starts with the V3.

Now, it ALSO makes a ton of power (and by that I will state that I FELT the improved acceleration when installed)...not stating more/less than any other ones...if you look at the designs and materials and try and compare it's all about what deals are going on, who is a more friendly and factual vendor. Otherwise, we might as well be talking about who has a bigger dick and arguing over the 10", the 9.9" and the 10.2"'er...(please note, I'm none of those or I'd have quite my day job long ago).

I've tackled the majority of the cold start annoying rasp with a nice little header wrap job...but save yourself the trouble...all things the same, I'd go with the V2 if I were redoing things. Gives you the option of running the rear cat, or a test pipe, has great flow and the best clearance of them all. RV6 flex section is what bottoms first on my entire car now (although I made a fix for that too).

Anyway, that's my honest opinion. From an OWNER of it. I'm very enthusiastic to see the comparison Marcus said is coming though.

TL GIRL...GTFO!!! You got a stock azz car!
Either way, I think that was Dave's way of flirting with you, a la pulling your hair, 3rd grade style.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

yeah yeah...ok rockstar...now you're pushing it buddy!!

i have no further comments on dave b/c what i really want to say is not G rated or even PG rated for this forum, so i will refrain from angering our great moderators.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 PM

A girl with a dirty mouth...you don't say.
Keeping it classy, I can dig that too. Honestly, I used to attack every time he posted anti RV6 posts...but lately, I'm having a harder time telling if he's trolling, or just not very intelligently trying to retort his opinion. And Dave, I honestly don't mean that as an insult.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

he certainly didn't make much of a contribution to this thread.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Dont be a dick!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor

The dick content of AZ has increased a lot over the years...
LeMix (05-01-2013)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM

I think it's just more overt now...people used to be dicks in a sarcastic/witty way. A lot of people are just outright rude now. Maybe the fall of the education system...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I think it's just more overt now...people used to be dicks in a sarcastic/witty way. A lot of people are just outright rude now. Maybe the fall of the education system...
LOL
rockstar143 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
And there are a handful that really contribute
Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 PM

...a loomingly small handful.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
How small are we talkin? Your size?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM

No way dude, much bigger than 3 inches!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Ill let you know what butt dyno says

Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM

It will say muy rapido...what we wanna know is how much more or less muy rapido than the other options?!?!?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Instructor

DAMNNNNNN i spent about 30 minutes trying to jack the car high enough to get under it but i couldnt reach i guess ill have to wait till another day to instal
Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

please tell me you have jack stands...crawling under your car only with the floor jack supporting your car...safety first, otherwise you won't be able to enjoy the toy.
rockstar143 (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Instructor

ya i have stands but my driveway is on slop, didnt feel to safe especially since im home alone. so i decided to stop, and try again at a friends house tonight because he had steel ramps, really tight under there
Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Dyno numbers are in our XLR8 V2 j-pipe.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/xlr8-v2-j-pipe-dyno-numbers-860816/
Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM

^^^I want that full report of all three pipes done that you had mentioned.

TL girl, good advice...believe it or not, I'm on a slight incline too and with a jack and jackstands I'm actually very comfortable working on my back. Some music, not hot under there and I just kinda zone out and work. I wish I could use my ramps but my car is too low.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on XLR8 v2 j-pipe