Supercharger Warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:16 AM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Supercharger Warning

Not sure if this is the right place for this. Move if necessary. I recently purchased a supercharger from CT Engineering (formally Comptech). Upon installing the product they sent my mechanic noticed that parts weren't fitting. After speaking to the manufacturer about the problem they came to the realization that sometime in 2007-2008 the TL's transmission changed and made it impossible to install the blower unit in this model. Their website states that it will work in an 04-08 TL. This is not the case. So I'm putting this on here so buyers beware. I did my research and after multiple phone calls with the seller Pro Import Tuners I was assured that it would fit in my 08 TL. They did offer me a full refund on the product with paid shipping so big ups to them on that. They also told me this is the first time they have ever run into this problem. I'm still waiting to see if they will compensate me for the 8+ hours my mechanic has invested in time on this project. I will update when I know more. So be careful out there and happy modding.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Can you elaborate on what the change was, and what makes the blower impossible to install? There is another thread where the battery tray isn't fitting. If that's the only limitation, I'd suggest simply relocating it to the trunk. I understand this was supposed to be a 'bolt-on' affair, but it's a power adder. Once you go to add-ons rather than simple part replacement, things get more complicated.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:29 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by screaminz28
Can you elaborate on what the change was, and what makes the blower impossible to install? There is another thread where the battery tray isn't fitting. If that's the only limitation, I'd suggest simply relocating it to the trunk. I understand this was supposed to be a 'bolt-on' affair, but it's a power adder. Once you go to add-ons rather than simple part replacement, things get more complicated.
Yes the battery tray does not fit, the linkage from the transmission goes about three inches into the tray preventing the battery from going in. So yes it can be relocated to the trunk with little to no hassle. The other problems is that the blower lower support bracket that attaches to the transmission doesn't line up with the bracket on this transmission. So I guess the bracket could be replaced with something that works. The last problem and the one stopping the install is that the hoses and the starter location in this model stops the blower unit from moving into the proper position. It keeps it about an inch to an inch and a half from going where it needs to go. The only solution we could come up with was to grind the bottom of the blower unit to make room but that seems a bit excessive for something that is supposed to be pretty much plug and play according to their website. So no unfortunately it isn't just the battery tray that is the problem.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:43 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by screaminz28
Also this is the email they sent me after two days of figuring out what the problem was.
Hi Christopher,

I'm very sorry for the issues you've been having with this CT Supercharger. As it turns out, you have a transmission configuration that will not work with this supercharger. It is fairly uncommon and only appears it seems on the 2007 and 2008 models. CT Engineering and we were both unaware of this issue until this point. Your mechanic spoke with Nate @ CT and should now be aware of all this information. We'll be sending you a pre-paid label to get this kit back for a FULL refund (you can keep the spark plugs at no charge). Again, I'm very sorry about this! We've never had an issue like this with a CT Supercharger before!
The following 2 users liked this post by raven929:
EvilVirus (11-23-2016), justnspace (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,033 Likes on 767 Posts
In the end it sucks, no supercharger! But glad to see them stand by their product and issue a full refund. What about compensation for the mechanic's time?
Old 11-23-2016, 05:14 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Time for a rotrex.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
04-06 FTW
Old 11-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A member on here installed it on his auto TL Type S. To make it work he had to grind down whatever part of the starter was contacting the blower. I just installed this on a 6spd TL-S and fortunately did not run into this issue with the starter.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:03 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
I think its absolutely retarted that you spend the amount of money on the supercharger which is suppose to be a bolt on part for all 3g TL's 04-08 only to have to relocate the battery to the trunk and or grind starters and other components down for it to fit. FUCKED