AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/)
-   -   Stage 3 + aftermarket CAI (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/stage-3-aftermarket-cai-973246/)

MyGuti 09-16-2018 10:24 AM

Stage 3 + aftermarket CAI

I've been contemplating on adding a CAI, possibly a V2 to my TL Type-S. I understand that the vehicle already has an intake, and I'm not after any sort of performance mods, I'm simply looking to give it a deeper nicer sound. Currently, I have the stage 3 mod and I enjoy it. However, lately I've been wanting more and was wondering if anyone has added a CAI after doing a stage 3 and what were the results.

I'm considering the AEM V2 because members have said it produces the best noise....any input would be appreciated

thoiboi 09-17-2018 05:52 PM

:nono:

You've been here long enough to know that there are PLENTY of threads regarding CAI..

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you really just want it for sound, just remove the resonator and call it a day..

:lock:

MyGuti 09-17-2018 08:07 PM

but the addition of a CAI to a stage 3 modified TL has not been covered for that long.....hence the lack of responses......
maybe ill be the test dummy

sweeT n Lo 09-17-2018 09:48 PM

I'll be interested to hear your results. I currently have the stage 3 mod. I bought an AEM V2 Cai a year ago, but I have been too lazy to get around to installing it lol

thoiboi 09-17-2018 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by MyGuti (Post 16298872)
but the addition of a CAI to a stage 3 modified TL has not been covered for that long.....hence the lack of responses......
maybe ill be the test dummy

That's the spirit! :nod:

BreezyTL 09-18-2018 02:06 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...2611b4f439.png

MyGuti 09-18-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by sweeT n Lo (Post 16298904)
I'll be interested to hear your results. I currently have the stage 3 mod. I bought an AEM V2 Cai a year ago, but I have been too lazy to get around to installing it lol

sell me yours for a discount and we have a deal

sweeT n Lo 09-18-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by MyGuti (Post 16299474)
sell me yours for a discount and we have a deal

​​​​​​Haha. They can be found for cheap if you know where to look and have some patience.
​​​​​

MyGuti 09-18-2018 08:11 PM

help?
im looking at endless rpm right now, its 305 usd

MyGuti 09-23-2018 02:09 AM

So I've been thinking more and more about adding the AEM v2 and came across a thread that mentioned how the position of the intake (near driver side fog light) makes it susceptible to getting water in/on it.
This is a pretty big concern for me as I see rain for the better part of the spring/winter months.

any thoughts on this guys?

horseshoez 09-23-2018 08:20 AM

Ingesting water via the intake is the absolute fastest way I know to destroy an engine. I've torn down a few engines which have suffered hydrolock and have to tell you, the connecting rods look like they were designed by Picasso.

MyGuti 09-23-2018 10:44 PM

looks like I can scratch the v2 off the list then. Thanks man!
I guess a shortram intake would work, but ill revisit this idea at a later time now.
appreciate the help

BreezyTL 09-24-2018 08:58 AM

Short ram intake will open the airflow but you are still sucking in warm air. Cold air intake is meant to be located away from a heat source. I have driven multiple times in the rain with my V2 and have little hesitation doing so. As long as you don't drive thru a 8-10" deep puddle you are fine. I have never heard anyone hydro-locking a car from driving in the rain.

horseshoez 09-24-2018 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BreezyTL (Post 16302341)
Short ram intake will open the airflow but you are still sucking in warm air. Cold air intake is meant to be located away from a heat source. I have driven multiple times in the rain with my V2 and have little hesitation doing so. As long as you don't drive thru a 8-10" deep puddle you are fine. I have never heard anyone hydro-locking a car from driving in the rain.

Driving in the rain will not cause hydrolock per-se, however, depending upon how drainage is implemented in your region, puddling can, and often does, cause hydrolock.

BreezyTL 09-24-2018 09:05 AM

I can see if the whole tube is submerged then you will suck up enough water to hydrolock the car. Water splashing on it, if it does will not. Just be smart and don't drive thru standing water, if you can.

horseshoez 09-24-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by BreezyTL (Post 16302347)
I can see if the whole tube is submerged then you will suck up enough water to hydrolock the car. Water splashing on it, if it does will not. Just be smart and don't drive thru standing water, if you can.

Depending upon the size of the motor and the compression ratio, as little as a cup of water is enough to bend a rod or two (the smaller the engine and the higher the compression, the more susceptible). A co-worker of mine was tooling down the interstate in a heavy rain last year in traffic heavy enough not to be able to see more than two car-lengths ahead; without enough time to react, he encountered a deep puddle where water had ponded on the left side of the road (he had a left side CAI), and severely damaged his engine. It never fully quit as he was well through the puddle in less than a second, but he instantly knew he needed a new motor due to the severe vibration.

1black_seven 09-24-2018 10:02 PM

I sucked water with a CAI on a 3rd gen TL twice. Once while driving 30 miles through a rolling downpour on the turnpike, and once when a semi flew by me and threw a wall of water on the front of my car.
A close friend of mile also hydrolocked his Si driving through a flooded intersection. Bypass valve did jack shit.

MyGuti 09-24-2018 10:33 PM

yeah the issue is we have puddles basically everywhere here. so I will hold off on the v2, just not worth the risk

tenacious tl 09-28-2018 08:48 PM

I thought AEM made hydro covers for their intakes, but I may be mistaken. There also may be fitment issues with the foglight. I think I had to dent my cone filter to get my bumper back on.

Scottwax 10-09-2018 11:53 PM

Had one on mine for 4 years now, even with heavy rain it isn't an issue. What would cause a problem is driving through water deep enough to submerge the filter which would probably be 12-15". Never had a problem in 5 years with one on my '90 Accord either.

Sounds is pretty good, especially at the VTEC crossover. Seemed to feel a bit stronger above 4000 rpm but the Accord doesn't have as good stock intake as the TL does.

CTucker 01-28-2019 08:11 PM

Just as an example. My brother had a 2004 Pontiac gtp with a cold air intake (Not a short ram) and hydro-locked his motor 2-3 times with it before he cut it down to make a short ram. His car was not lowered. He was lucky enough to get the water out by removing spark plugs and turning motor over to push it out.(then changed oil) obviously very lucky he didnt kill the motor. We live in South Alabama where flash flooding is very possible. So it is something to keep in mind.

MyGuti 01-29-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by CTucker (Post 16373071)
Just as an example. My brother had a 2004 Pontiac gtp with a cold air intake (Not a short ram) and hydro-locked his motor 2-3 times with it before he cut it down to make a short ram. His car was not lowered. He was lucky enough to get the water out by removing spark plugs and turning motor over to push it out.(then changed oil) obviously very lucky he didnt kill the motor. We live in South Alabama where flash flooding is very possible. So it is something to keep in mind.

Good to know! I've never been in a flash flood but we get considerable rain where I live and water can pool quite easily in the areas where I constantly drive.
I decided awhile ago that I wasn't going to go the aftermarket CAI route unless it's a short ram......but even then I highly doubt it.
I've also lowered the car since posting this thread, so I highly doubt I'll add an aftermarket intake now

CTucker 01-29-2019 06:14 PM

Once he cut it down to a short ram he no longer had any issues of that sort. I just lowered my TL. Thats the whole reason I'll be going with the short ram. Not that it adds much other than sound and looks with minimal performance gains if any.