Spoiler...another beat up subject

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:16 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler...another beat up subject

I have ordered a rear spoiler from a place in Ontario Canada soon to be delivered painted for $170, supposedly they don't have a drill pattern but instructions of where it should be placed and mounted.... , I have installed body kits on friends cars, intakes etc so I'm not that nervous about drilling away at my TL, so on that note, who has done their own install here (if you have the template would you share it, not the reason for this thread), just curious if you were happy with the results, oh BTW I saw a guy's VW from work who had his spoiler installed at a dealer and I didn't have the heart to tell him that is off to one side...so I know there is room for error....thanks..

Hector
Old 08-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you ordered the lip spoiler, most of the aftermarket versions (non-OEM) are designed to stick on. It comes with some double sided stick squares. I actually went to Home Depot and bought some 3M double sided tape and ran a strip down the entire backside. I put it on about three months ago and have washed the car dozens of times and it is still rock solid. My lip spoiler didn't have any way for your to screw it to the truck lid even if I wanted to.

You do have to be very careful about centering it. It would be possible to put it up to 1/2" too far to one side or the other. Just set it on the truck lid without tape and take note of what is center and what isn't.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Bring It

Good luck on ur project. Don't drill holes if you're putting on the lip spoiler. 3M tape is strong enough.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lip spoiler is easy. Just strip the wax off where the spoiler will go.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
HEK

thanks for the replies, but I'm doing the rear wing spolier ...like this one...
Old 08-14-2005, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

spoiler

hey hows it going? I just joined figuring maybe i could get some info myself. I've been looking to order a spoiler for my 03 tl type-s....whered you order yours from? Also, i happen to know someone who did their own install on an 02 tl...ill find out some more info
Old 08-15-2005, 06:11 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by djsniggedy
hey hows it going? I just joined figuring maybe i could get some info myself. I've been looking to order a spoiler for my 03 tl type-s....whered you order yours from? Also, i happen to know someone who did their own install on an 02 tl...ill find out some more info
e.mail me at milanored69@aol.com for the name of the people I bought it from, I don't want to do any fee advertising....besides I'm yet to recieve it, so until then I will not recommend them just yet...
Old 08-15-2005, 10:40 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I did that same wing type spoiler install as you are getting-BUT, I had it installed at the body shop around the corner at the same time I had the A-spec kit put on. Entire thing done for $160 labor cost. (well worth it given it was over 90 degrees out!). I will look to see if I still have the install template- I kept most of those things afterwards. Also note....you need a special honda spring tool to change out the torsion spring on the trunklid. You MAY be able to do it without the tool....but I wasnt going to take a chance with a brand new car - so I also bought the $20 tool so there was no mishaps! You will need to change out the trunk spring to a heavier spring (comes with the factory spoilers) because the lid will be heavier and will not lift when you "pop" it from the inside without heavier spring (on the larger wing spoiler). You can get one of these spring tools from http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html

this is where I got it after the fact (got everything else from ebay) and I gave it to the bodyshop guy, and I did notice that they opened the package and used it...so it must have been worth it>?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:54 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I did that same wing type spoiler install as you are getting-BUT, I had it installed at the body shop around the corner at the same time I had the A-spec kit put on. Entire thing done for $160 labor cost. (well worth it given it was over 90 degrees out!). I will look to see if I still have the install template- I kept most of those things afterwards. Also note....you need a special honda spring tool to change out the torsion spring on the trunklid. You MAY be able to do it without the tool....but I wasnt going to take a chance with a brand new car - so I also bought the $20 tool so there was no mishaps! You will need to change out the trunk spring to a heavier spring (comes with the factory spoilers) because the lid will be heavier and will not lift when you "pop" it from the inside without heavier spring (on the larger wing spoiler). You can get one of these spring tools from http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html

this is where I got it after the fact (got everything else from ebay) and I gave it to the bodyshop guy, and I did notice that they opened the package and used it...so it must have been worth it>?
In the event that you had the template and were willing to either share the details by scanning it here or were willing to send it ( I would pay for your troubles of course)...but I'm planning on doing the install myself since I also ordered one for my son's Civic and I will be doing his also..IMO a little care, patience and the right tools is all you need....of course a template wiould help...lol and thanks for the suggestion on the springs and the tool to remove them, I have located them at HandA as well..
Old 08-16-2005, 11:55 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Yes...I found the spoiler template install panel that came with my factory wing spoiler with the mount holes on them. Question is.....is yours a factory spoiler? If not...it may or may not work depending upon their rendition of the spoiler and the mount points they used. I can try to scan it later today....I just happened to be in the garage last night and I moved the box that had the stuff in it and looked in it to see if it was there and that was the first thing I pulled out! There is just one panel for one side....you reverse it for the opposing side. Will scan later today.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

I'd appreciate a copy of that scan also. I've got a replica spoiler but it should be close enough so I can use the OEM holes as a reference point. Just let me know when you get it done.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I slow down for COPS

Talking

I installed my spoiler myself. It did not came with a template, but it had little plastic pieces with 2 "towers". You would put the towers into the screw openings on the spoiler and position the spoiler on the trunk. See the below measurement I chose for my spoiler.

Then, you would take some tape and tape the plastic pieces to the trunk. After you do that you want to make sure the the measurement are still correct.

Take the spoiler off and drill holes with a small bid through the "towers". Then change your bid for a bigger one. Just little bigger then your screws.

After you will be done drilling, take some paint and go over the rough edges to prevent future rusting. Also, do not forget to put the sticky foam on the buttom of the spoiler legs to make sure it is weather tight after installation.

Screw the bolts into the spoiler legs and put it through the holes in the trunk. (Before you start installation, make sure you remove the panel inside the trunk lid to gain access to the inside). Put the nuts on the inside and put some paint over the screw as a nut lock (so they do not start coming off after a while).

Put the panel inside the trunk back in and enjoy your new spoiler.

Sorry, if I was not clear on the instructions, but I should have taken some pics while I was doing the install. It will all make more sense after you get the spoiler and will be able to look at it and the limited hardware it comes with.

Good luck, Mark.

Finished product

Distance from the corner (rear window, quater panel and trunk) to the spoiler

Distance from the trunk edge to the inner side of the "spoiler leg"
Old 08-17-2005, 12:32 PM
HEK

Mark,
I thank you very much for the detailed instructions and pictures, they helped a lot, I got my wing delivered today and since I'm on vacation a few minor adjustments to my already planned day and the wing was installed (pics to follow)...not with a minor problems (screw fell inside the trunk lid), had to remove the trunk lid to flip it around so I could retrieve these little screws but no problem IMO just a few set backs...to all else who responded thanks also ...can't wait to get a few pics online... can't wait to see if the car is faster...lol... ( why else would this thread had been moved to performance??...)

Hector
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 AM
HEK

here are the shots as promised.....

Again thanks for the help...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Looks great!

I also have an NBP, and I would like to do the same mod.

Does the trunk still pop open correctly without the new stiffer torsion spring? Also, how is the color match?

The OEM wing is about double the price of the OE replacement off ebay. Is it worth getting the OEM?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by tejesh83
Looks great!

Does the trunk still pop open correctly without the new stiffer torsion spring? Also, how is the color match?

The OEM wing is about double the price of the OE replacement off ebay. Is it worth getting the OEM?

The color match is perfect, and getting the OEM ....IMHO unless you have money to burn, no need to install the heavier springs, the trunk opens just fine....
Want the dealer, I recommend him highly...e.mail me for his link...took 3 days to get from Ontario to MA...can't beat that....
Old 08-18-2005, 01:41 PM
HEK

Looks great!

The color match is perfect, and getting the OEM ....IMHO unless you have money to burn, no need to install the heavier springs, the trunk opens just fine....
Want the vendor?, I recommend him highly...e.mail me for his link...took 3 days to get from Ontario to MA...can't beat that....
Old 08-18-2005, 02:16 PM
I slow down for COPS

The OEM comes with springs, but you do not really need them. The trunk opens fine without them. I guess you get little more for paying much more.

HEKtor, no problem and your ride looks awasome.

Mark.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:01 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
The OEM comes with springs, but you do not really need them. The trunk opens fine without them. I guess you get little more for paying much more.

HEKtor, no problem and your ride looks awasome.

Mark.
Mark,
Thanks for the compliments, IMO I think I'm finally done with doing mods, got the CAI for performance, and now with the rear spoiler the car looks complete...time to start driving and with todays gas prices, well I better start saving $$....

tejesh83,
You got mail....
Old 08-19-2005, 09:53 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by HEK
Mark,
Thanks for the compliments, IMO I think I'm finally done with doing mods, got the CAI for performance, and now with the rear spoiler the car looks complete...time to start driving and with todays gas prices, well I better start saving $$....

tejesh83,
You got mail....

Hey now...trust me when I tell you....its never over till its over! I see you still have exhaust, ect. you could get too! I just think one thing leads to another...and you will do more and more until there is nothing else you can do!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Hey now...trust me when I tell you....its never over till its over! I see you still have exhaust, ect. you could get too! I just think one thing leads to another...and you will do more and more until there is nothing else you can do!
LOL... , my 1st project was a 2000 Civic Si , I/H/E..other stuff...

Moved to a 2002 RSX-S.....I/H/E...and other stuff

Graduated to...Moco II... , enough HP 4 me..
Old 08-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the measurements Mark. I got my replica on today.
I took pictures along the way so I can do a write up if anyone wants me to.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:20 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by ARNGRIMMR
Thanks for the measurements Mark. I got my replica on today.
I took pictures along the way so I can do a write up if anyone wants me to.
Great job... , I just got done installing my son's spoiler, his was much easier since the markings for the holes were already there under the trunk lid so all I needed to do was drill and run a wire for the light and connect it to the wiring from his rear tail light, less than an hour....pics to come...
I still can't believe the dealer charges so much for these , not to mention the labor....