spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spark plugs?

will up grading spark plugs give me more hp?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Instructor

try pimpin' these in your ride
www.E3sparkplugs.com sold at www.amazon.com , checkers or http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...1&AAIA=1432641 Amazon and sparkplugs.com are the same price ($5.95 each)
Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Unless your old ones are so bad that they're causing misfires you will not gain a single hp.

Stay away from the gimmicks. Use regular plugs, not the E3s or any of the other plugs.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Advanced

ok thank you
Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Unless your old ones are so bad that they're causing misfires you will not gain a single hp.

Stay away from the gimmicks. Use regular plugs, not the E3s or any of the other plugs.
Yes you're right spark plugs alone won't do much of a gain. Spark plugs were not design for horse power gains. It's main purpose is to provide a "spark" to your combustion chambers to burn fuel. But better spark plugs are designed to take it up a notch by doing it better and more efficiently. Alone they will not add the ponies people might think. But adding a better sparkplugs to better igniter/coils and so on will give you a better gain vs stock sparkplugs. I do agree with not replacing the stockies till it's necessary how ever I would much rather replace it sooner than later due to several factors. Examples are: last longer than stocks, burns cleaner and more efficient in which most cases giving you better mpg, your engine's combustion chambers will love you more lol. Shitty spark plugs don't burn as efficiently due to the components they are made of or the way it's made. Aftermarket spark plugs 90 percent of the time have better conductors, insulator, resistor, capacitive element, electrode, etc.... Giving you a much more powerful spark that sometimes can be as much as 20,000 times or greater. Better spark = cleaner efficient burn for your fuel. Most times releasing that spark sooner than your stocks because of better quality build such as the components mentioned above. Makes you wonder why race cars don't just use stock spark plugs for their race cars and even bother to replace their ignitors/coils.... For me I'd go stronger spark any day even if that's all i'll have to change.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PowerCommander
Yes you're right spark plugs alone won't do much of a gain. Spark plugs were not design for horse power gains. It's main purpose is to provide a "spark" to your combustion chambers to burn fuel. But better spark plugs are designed to take it up a notch by doing it better and more efficiently. Alone they will not add the ponies people might think. But adding a better sparkplugs to better igniter/coils and so on will give you a better gain vs stock sparkplugs. I do agree with not replacing the stockies till it's necessary how ever I would much rather replace it sooner than later due to several factors. Examples are: last longer than stocks, burns cleaner and more efficient in which most cases giving you better mpg, your engine's combustion chambers will love you more lol. Shitty spark plugs don't burn as efficiently due to the components they are made of or the way it's made. Aftermarket spark plugs 90 percent of the time have better conductors, insulator, resistor, capacitive element, electrode, etc.... Giving you a much more powerful spark that sometimes can be as much as 20,000 times or greater. Better spark = cleaner efficient burn for your fuel. Most times releasing that spark sooner than your stocks because of better quality build such as the components mentioned above. Makes you wonder why race cars don't just use stock spark plugs for their race cars and even bother to replace their ignitors/coils.... For me I'd go stronger spark any day even if that's all i'll have to change.
E3s shield the spark which is very bad. Besides, you can only have one arc at a time. It will never produce multiple arcs. Third, they're not iridium like the stock plugs so they won't last half as long.

FWIW, I'm running a stock coilpack and stock AC Delco plugs 3 steps colder in my GN. My father's nearly 900rwhp GN is on the stock coils and stock plugs also. There's something small to gain with a hotter spark but it's very, very little and it's usually in the form of emissions.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Team Owner

I was a little short on time that last time but I wanted to address a few things.

The plugs don't burn. That's not what you want and that's part of the purpost of iridium, so there's not as much metal transfer from the arc.

You don't want the spark to get there sooner which is not possible anyway. If anything there would be a small delay. Getting it there sooner would result in detonation.

The highest priority is getting the spark exposed and out there in the combustion chamber. Multiple electrodes shield the spark from the charge.

Plain plugs with varioius metals will be best in nearly every application.

The only real advance we've had in over 50 years is the new lazer iginition systems with over 100 points of ignition inside the combustion chamber covering most of the chamber. Even Ford admits the purpose is emissions with power gains of less than 1%.