Short RAM for 06 TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
or better yet...just remove the duct from TB to filter box, and just clamp a filter on the TB...there ya removed the long path of air ...

ORRRRRRr even better.....dont clamp a filter on the TB, just throw a puma sock over it and throw a rubber band around to hold it in place.... you just completely removed any restrictions

^^^^^^^^^ kidding...
i have had a friend do the top... just remove the whole filter duct and put on a filter at the TB... i was like

so i wouldn't be surprised if i saw the sock over the TB... there are some ghetto minds out there..
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 AM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
^^^I like it! I wonder if a Nike sock has less restriction than a Puma sock.

Ohh, I got it!....dress socks....those things are really thin.....gotta have some free flowing air with that setup.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
^^^^^was the hood open?

this is about the 3g TL not a civic.....just cause a mod made power on one car, doesnt mean it will do the same on another... FYI, power was lost with a CAI in an S2k...see where im going with this.....one car might have a very restrictive induction system, while another might be superior....while these manufactures cant test their product on every car...they will try and test them on a car that will offer a few gains for marketing purposes and save themselves from lying. but it couldn't be true for every other car
no hood was not open....and I did say it was a civic and not a TL, so obviously every car is diffirent all im saying is for someone to state it's a waste then I would like to see numbers thats all.....but thats just my opinion im not saying im 100% right or you are 100% right, everyone has diffirent experiences, and for those that think CAI is best option, I agree it is but when you personally had your car hydrolock because of CAI then you feel a little worried about getting CAI again....happened to me in downtown Boston caught in a flash flood rain storm and stuck in traffic when you are not able to go back or stop and not see whats ahead and every car in front of you is going thru just fine you kinda go along, well long story short i go thru and i would have made it but when you have cars to left and right passing by faster and causing waves towards my car then im SOL....but whatever it is what it is.....
Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by MAS
"You will lose power"....i love how some people say this with a certainty like if they designed it or dyno'ed it....your comment is your theory/opinion. None of us know for sure until someone does some dyno testing under the correct circumstances.

My theory is that SRI offer slight gains over stock intake. I think the slight gains come in at low RPM's where the positive affect of more air flow is slightly bigger than the negative affects of hotter air. As RPM's increase i think the negative gains from the hotter (larger volume) air becomes more critical and you lose any positive gains (maybe go into negative gains). Having said that, i also believe the slight lower RPM gain will offer a better than stock throttle response. For people like me who use the TL as their daily driver and are not going full throttle every day this slight improvement in low-RPM throttle response might be worth the $200 for a SRI (and no hydro-lock worries).

Disclaimer: I still believe a CAI is the best intake option (definately better SRI). But for us sissies who are scared of some water killing our engine an SRI is still a viable option.
Didn't your first paragraph knock "theory" then you start the second by "My theory"??? Wow.

Any gains from a SRI would only and I stress ONLY be at high rpm with the throttle open. This is so basic I hate that I have to waste my time writing this.

How the hell will a less restrictive intake help MORE when airflow is at it's LOWEST?

How the hell will it help less when the airflow is at it's peak?

What I offer is not theory, it's based on mine and many, many others' results.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Team Owner

And guys, don't ricerize the term velocity stack. Velocity stacks are used on carb'd and individual throttle body fuel injected cars to "tune" the intake path.

They are not something that you put on the end of a short ram or CAI.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
all i need to say is 2 each it's own and numbers never lie.....this discussion is like trying to convince a V8 guru that a 4-banger is better or vise-versa......anyways if someone has numbers of stock vs SRI please share, i wish i still had the numbers when we tested our stock vs. sri, granted it was not a TL, rather a 2003 civic si, but it was still stock vs. SRI
A V8 will always be better than a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder when it comes to making power, all else being equal. It's a fact.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Didn't your first paragraph knock "theory" then you start the second by "My theory"??? Wow.

Any gains from a SRI would only and I stress ONLY be at high rpm with the throttle open. This is so basic I hate that I have to waste my time writing this.

How the hell will a less restrictive intake help MORE when airflow is at it's LOWEST?

by sucking hot air and heat soaking the balls out of the engine!!!!!

A V8 will always be better than a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder when it comes to making power, all else being equal. It's a fact.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts

^^Get back to me when you have a valid dyno comparison between SRI and stock TL....until then your comments are and will continue to be your opinion (not fact).
Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Drifting

only time i fully believe a dyno is when there is video...

give me a SRI and ill give u a 300 HP tl
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

well thats what i mean you can't convince otherwise, but thats fine...it's good to have firm believers,,,anyways it depends how you look at it, but obviously you making more power because you have 4 more cylinders, but when you look at how much HP your making per liter its pretty sad comparing to a 4-bangers HP per liter....but it's all good i'm not trying to spark no argument or anything, everyone has there facts/thoughts/theory/opinions whatever you want to call it....

Just me but I would rather have a 4-banger hitting 12s and still cruise when not getting on it and get 25plus mpg then have a 12s v8 and get like 8-16mpg if your lucky....think about it
Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

well thats what i mean you can't convince otherwise, but thats fine...it's good to have firm believers,,,anyways it depends how you look at it, but obviously you making more power because you have 4 more cylinders, but when you look at how much HP your making per liter its pretty sad comparing to a 4-bangers HP per liter....but it's all good i'm not trying to spark no argument or anything, everyone has there facts/thoughts/theory/opinions whatever you want to call it....

Just me but I would rather have a 4-banger hitting 12s and still cruise when not getting on it and get 25plus mpg then have a 12s v8 and get like 8-16mpg if your lucky....think about it
while im not an american car fan, or their motors...ill tell you this...when those motors were built, MPG didnt mean crap..now its like living through history...with the exception of digging deeper in ur pockets for gas money...

with the amount of work you put into ur typical 4 banger to get it down to 12s...you would be digging into 10s on an big block v8 and such... those motors were made for power, not to save ur gas money...yea its true ,they're tremendous motors and what not...but rather than putting a fine technology in their motors and tuning their cars to the T, just throw some steel blocks and heads, plenty of liters and call it a day...and no need to rev high either...torque all around, hp all around...and if you're ready to boost them...their bottom ends hold plenty of it...while the little 4 bangers blow every day....snap axles everyday...anyway...i love imports, but only 3 4bangers...S2k, Lotus Elise, Evo other than that, i need at least a 6 cyl, weither it be straight 6 or v6...

while the american motors dont make as much hp per liter like you say...there's tremendous potential hiden in the motors...and every little thing you do, gives ya tremendous gains. you change a throttle body on ur civic, it does shit...change a throttle body on a mustang, you get 30 whp

you do ur 3 inch exhaust on ur civic, you get what? a loud obnoxious fucking exhaust....do that on an american v8, and its like boosting a civic.

american cars are de-tuned by mechanical means....thats why aside from the fact that they have big motors, every mod just makes such a big difference.

like i said, i dont care nor do i like american motors... but whats true is true
Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

And I'm not disagreeing there is alot of hidden power in v8 and the gains is alot more on a v8 muscle then your typical 4-banger....now take power to weight ratio in mind and a civic hatchy throw a k20 motor stock tune it minor bolt-ons and thats 12second car....(don't believe do some searching and even if your still skeptical, if your ever in Boston give me a buzz and i'll show you a couple of them)

Just a nice sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vzcL2qY9_4

i have nothing against v8's, i just like being the underdog i guess just like how we drive FWD TL-S but it competes with RWD cars all day and even spanks some of them no problem.......at the end of the day its good to have diversity because a world with just imports or a world with just american v8 muscle would be pretty stupid....
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

oh and on another note Opel....Nice looking UA6 looking nice murdered out and the power is hmmmm yummy!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

And I'm not disagreeing there is alot of hidden power in v8 and the gains is alot more on a v8 muscle then your typical 4-banger....now take power to weight ratio in mind and a civic hatchy throw a k20 motor stock tune it minor bolt-ons and thats 12second car....(don't believe do some searching and even if your still skeptical, if your ever in Boston give me a buzz and i'll show you a couple of them)

Just a nice sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vzcL2qY9_4

i have nothing against v8's, i just like being the underdog i guess just like how we drive FWD TL-S but it competes with RWD cars all day and even spanks some of them no problem.......at the end of the day its good to have diversity because a world with just imports or a world with just american v8 muscle would be pretty stupid....
i dont have anything on either one...it was more of a comparison..i dont single out either one...im more of an overall kinda guy..i dont go for v8s or v6s, or v10s, or i4s...it comes down to a lot more than that.....its just a discussion..i know 4 bangers can be made very fast. anyway.

thanks for the compliment
Old 09-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah thats for sure, all around guys are always legit in my book.....open mind is a very good thing...i guess at the end of the day if you have a fast car then it's a fast car no matter what engine is pushing it down the road..........glad to know theres still some decent forums out here and not just people bashing on each other back and forth lol......

personally I wouldnt mind a V8 BMW M3......that sounds sexy sexy lol

Fav cars at the moment with diffirent motors
V12...Bugatti Veyron or should I say W12
V10....Audi R8
V8....BMW M3....or BMW X6 M/X5 M(twin turbo hmmm)and yes this thing is stupid fast had the pleasure of driving one.....or the Corvette ZR-1 for the American Muscle...and that car is actually a nice looking ride as well, not to mention powerful beyond imagination
V6.....UA7 (my FAV)
I6....Nissan Skyline GT-R
I5....uhhh Noo!!!
I4....Mugen Honda Civic Type RR concept (Like 90% made of mostly carbon fiber....Too bad it will never be brought to states
Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 AM
A Happily Modded TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
custom short ram ice box FTW!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

looks pretty good almost oem looking....Very Niccee!!!(borat style)
Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool
Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Dont listen to anyone the SRI works amazing on the TL. I have a K&N short ram and it can covert into a CAI....
Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeah thats for sure, all around guys are always legit in my book.....open mind is a very good thing...i guess at the end of the day if you have a fast car then it's a fast car no matter what engine is pushing it down the road..........glad to know theres still some decent forums out here and not just people bashing on each other back and forth lol......

personally I wouldnt mind a V8 BMW M3......that sounds sexy sexy lol

Fav cars at the moment with diffirent motors
V12...Bugatti Veyron or should I say W12
V10....Audi R8
V8....BMW M3....or BMW X6 M/X5 M(twin turbo hmmm)and yes this thing is stupid fast had the pleasure of driving one.....or the Corvette ZR-1 for the American Muscle...and that car is actually a nice looking ride as well, not to mention powerful beyond imagination
V6.....UA7 (my FAV)
I6....Nissan Skyline GT-R
I5....uhhh Noo!!!
I4....Mugen Honda Civic Type RR concept (Like 90% made of mostly carbon fiber....Too bad it will never be brought to states
E90 M3s are nice, but they're killing them with weight...there's too much technology involved nowadays on every car. Its like, the car is almost driven for you all on its own, you barely have a real connection to the road with your machine anymore... and thats a general statement for most newer cars.

Bugatti is a quad turbo W16...2 V8s coupled together...
4 turbos??? 16 cylinders??? comeeeee onnnnnn... i6 supra motor with stock internals, 1000 hp.
The thing weights 4000 lbs...they crashed 3-4 testing aerodynamics. IMO, it looks like something you'd see in a cartoon movie...maybe im into sleek looking cars, and not round like a basketball sneaker lol.. either way, it never received my respect.

McLaren F1, a true legend. Speaking of which, TOPGEAR, tested them both off a dig 1 mile stretch, and the McLaren, literally bounced. Of course, towards the end, Buggati caught up, after half of the run...but look at the power difference.

koenigsegg ccxr edition... Supercharged V8...1018 HP...
All Koeningsegg cars are just GORGEOUS.

and the one and only one, the most beautiful sounding car ever produced (except for F1 cars) The Carrera GT!

Im done!
Old 09-06-2009, 04:02 AM
Team Owner

The HP/L argument is usually made by the guy who is losing. It means absolutely nothing, just an excuse. This is coming from someone who makes 180hp/L. I would be laughed off the track if I used that excuse. All that matters is who gets to the finish first.

The mpg excuse is just that, an excuse, a copout. A stock LS1 V8 will get 19mpg in town and 28 on the freeway and run 12s. That's better city mpg than my high 14 second TL gets. Most any newer Vette will do the same. My 700hp GN even gets better mileage than my TL in the city.

Last, displacement always wins with all else being equal. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. It's a fact. I love my V6 and all the V8s and V10 Vipers I've smoked but I'm also not blind to reality. Do the exact same build that I have now only add 2 more cylinders and you have an 800rwhp V8 that will also have better spool characteristics and more power under the curve.

That's the other thing you guys don't look at. Take a 250hp V8 and a 250hp 4 banger. The V8 is going to make power anywhere on the tach, from idle to redline while the 4 banger is only going to make power in a narrow range and have to be revved to the moon.

I'm currently building a forged bottom end and pushing this thing to nearly 300 cubes. Why? I can make the same power with what I have now if I had a forged bottom but the larger engine will be so much more street friendly.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Team Owner

while im not an american car fan, or their motors...ill tell you this...when those motors were built, MPG didnt mean crap..now its like living through history...with the exception of digging deeper in ur pockets for gas money...

with the amount of work you put into ur typical 4 banger to get it down to 12s...you would be digging into 10s on an big block v8 and such... those motors were made for power, not to save ur gas money...yea its true ,they're tremendous motors and what not...but rather than putting a fine technology in their motors and tuning their cars to the T, just throw some steel blocks and heads, plenty of liters and call it a day...and no need to rev high either...torque all around, hp all around...and if you're ready to boost them...their bottom ends hold plenty of it...while the little 4 bangers blow every day....snap axles everyday...anyway...i love imports, but only 3 4bangers...S2k, Lotus Elise, Evo other than that, i need at least a 6 cyl, weither it be straight 6 or v6...

while the american motors dont make as much hp per liter like you say...there's tremendous potential hiden in the motors...and every little thing you do, gives ya tremendous gains. you change a throttle body on ur civic, it does shit...change a throttle body on a mustang, you get 30 whp

you do ur 3 inch exhaust on ur civic, you get what? a loud obnoxious fucking exhaust....do that on an american v8, and its like boosting a civic.

american cars are de-tuned by mechanical means....thats why aside from the fact that they have big motors, every mod just makes such a big difference.

like i said, i dont care nor do i like american motors... but whats true is true
Agreed Opel...well except the not liking American engines.

See, what people don't understand is that a large displacement engine is usually tuned differently. It can give up some peak hp numbers for good low end torque while still having respectable hp.

Small 4 cylinders HAVE to rev high to make hp across a narrow band to make any sort of respectable hp. Large V8s can trade off a little high rpm hp for lots of torque which is what most people want in a daily driver. People using the HP/L argument overlook this fact.

You also have to remember that as displacement goes up, so do pumping losses and friction. Look at some of Nissan's large truck engines. They have pretty good hp but compared to their own smaller V6s they make much less hp/L. Got to keep your eye on the big picture.

Then there's the technology argument. Some think that pushrods mean there's no technology in the engine and DOHC means everything. Again, I point to engines like the LS7. It revs to 7K, makes very good hp/L plus total hp is amazing, has heads that flow more than pure race heads of a few years ago, 6 bolt mains, closed deck design, etc, etc.

In racing, DOHC engines won't show any sort of gains until you're spinning it well past 7,000rpm. In a street setup they're there for emissions and to try and broaden the powerband by changing overlap on small engines.

Let's not forget that Chevy made a SOHC V8 back in the 60s that cranked out 700+hp and Ford had a DOHC V8 back then also that cranked out some serious numbers, showing that when they want to gear a V8 toward the hp end of the scale they have no problem doing so.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks Opel for that correction W16 not W12.....McLaren F1 is indeed a nice choice, can't complain there.......
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Ive been running a custom short ram i made myself for a while, During the summer months i noticed very sluggish performance, so i went with stock. Now that its cooled off and stays at or under 60ish for the most part, i put it back in and i notice good to very good power, but only from a rolling start, and here's why: Hot as shit air.

When you move, the engine bay will get some of that cool air in there and the SRI will suck that up. During the summer this has little effect because it was 100ish and 90% humidity all the time.

My advice is to go stock or go CAI, or if you want SRI for sound mostly, use it in the cool months

I dont have dyno results but i have butt dyno results and my 6 speed didnt like the SRI much unless i was at or above 4k rpms to be honest.....

Last edited by mdunn1066; 09-14-2009 at 09:59 PM.