Short RAM for 06 TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
SwaxStar33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Short RAM for 06 TL

Does anyone make a short RAM intake for a 2006 TL??? All I've seen is the standard CAI.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do. Check this out and let me know what you think.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/DSC00340.jpg
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
K&N makes one where it can be a short ram, and then with the supplied pipe it can be a CAI. Honestly a short ram won't help you, but hurt performance since it's sucking in hot air. It'd be easier just to remove the resonator in the intake track.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SwaxStar33
Does anyone make a short RAM intake for a 2006 TL??? All I've seen is the standard CAI.

Weapon-R
Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 AM
SwaxStar33

I had an Injen short RAM on my 02 TLS and it def. made a difference...I'm not trying to get crazy gains, just enough to help in my 06's sluggish RPM range.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I had an Injen short RAM on my 02 TLS and it def. made a difference...I'm not trying to get crazy gains, just enough to help in my 06's sluggish RPM range.
it wont help but it will make it sound better
Old 03-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Talking

I installed a Weapon-R Dragon short Ram in my 08 TLS. I love the sound!!

Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Type- (S)low

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have to leave the battery covers off after installation of WR?
Old 03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
2005 NBP TL 5AT w/ NAV

Originally Posted by Paul_2007S
Nope, I installed my Weapon-R Secret Weapon (Similar size to the dragon) and still have my battery cover on with plenty of room.

P.S. I also noticed a decrease in throttle response time which was great. I'm not sure about the extra performance. I certainly didn't lose anything.

Last edited by mode; 03-15-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Originally Posted by Paul_2007S
Battery cover is still on. I took it off when I installed it. It is a very easy mod and worth it since the car is a lot more preppier and the sound is just
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at getting one of these as well since I have heard of people sucking in water when going over puddles...and I don't feel like spending the extra cash on getting a sheild or whatever in addition to a cai
Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 PM
SwaxStar33

Originally Posted by HenryNYC
Weapon-R
They don't list the 06 TL on their website for that model...you saying it will fit with no issues???
Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
They don't list the 06 TL on their website for that model...you saying it will fit with no issues???

Here you go. This is where I got mine from. Been on the car all year and no issues at all.

http://www.racinglab.com/weapon-r-in...ra-tl-018.html

Same as 05.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
SwaxStar33

Originally Posted by HenryNYC
Here you go. This is where I got mine from. Been on the car all year and no issues at all.

http://www.racinglab.com/weapon-r-in...ra-tl-018.html

Same as 05.

Much Appreciated!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 PM
wdp skyhawk

im sold i am getting the weapon r dragon intake since it rains a lot here
Old 03-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
As it's already been stated, why would you blow $200 for something that's going to lose hp? It makes no sense. Maybe I should start selling a throttle stop for the gas pedal for only $50 that would accomplish the same thing.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
I installed a Weapon-R Dragon short Ram in my 08 TLS. I love the sound!!

looks great. how's the performance during the summer? any decrease because of the heat?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Originally Posted by hchan221
looks great. how's the performance during the summer? any decrease because of the heat?
I didn't feel any decrease in the summer or winter. All I heard is VROOOMM..............VTEC Power!! I don't care what ppl say about losing hp. You can show me the numbers, but honestly I don't really care. This is not a race car, my daily / weekend car. Come to think of it, today is a nice day in NYC, I gonna go for a drive now.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Pro

I have the weapon R intake and it sounds good, and pulls harder (6sp) but some of you guys saying that youll lose HP, does that make sense?? The dyno shows gains and good gains. If short rams where a waste of money, and not good, copanies would not have sold them. So just think about it.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by race4ed
I have the weapon R intake and it sounds good, and pulls harder (6sp) but some of you guys saying that youll lose HP, does that make sense?? The dyno shows gains and good gains. If short rams where a waste of money, and not good, copanies would not have sold them. So just think about it.
They're sold because people continue to buy them.

What do you think you're gaining? The TL can't outflow the stock paper filter. It is not a restriction so what is a higher flowing filter going to do? The TL already has a semi-cold air induction. You're now cutting it off and feeding the engine hot engine bay air. Where's the gain?

Don't believe dyno graphs supplied by the manufacturer. If you believe that, well I'm sorry. The only valid way to measure is to take your own car to the dyno, make a base run with the stock intake tract WITH THE HOOD DOWN TO SIMULATE REAL WORLD CONDITIONS and install the short ram and run it back to back with the hood closed. Dynoing a short ram with the hood up is invalid because the hood being up is the same as having a CAI.

Again, why waste money on something that will cost you hp? Do you really like the sound that much?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Instructor

oooooooooo, good point!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 AM
5th Gear

is CT ever going to make an ice box for us
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM
2005 NBP TL 5AT w/ NAV

Originally Posted by I hate cars

What do you think you're gaining? The TL can't outflow the stock paper filter. It is not a restriction so what is a higher flowing filter going to do? The TL already has a semi-cold air induction. You're now cutting it off and feeding the engine hot engine bay air. Where's the gain?

Don't believe dyno graphs supplied by the manufacturer. If you believe that, well I'm sorry. The only valid way to measure is to take your own car to the dyno, make a base run with the stock intake tract WITH THE HOOD DOWN TO SIMULATE REAL WORLD CONDITIONS and install the short ram and run it back to back with the hood closed. Dynoing a short ram with the hood up is invalid because the hood being up is the same as having a CAI.

Again, why waste money on something that will cost you hp? Do you really like the sound that much?
To your point, you should probably have a large fan blowing into the front of the car as well (while running the test).

I'll concede that the gains may be a little bit better with the CAI (under certain conditions), but I certainly didn't feel a loss in power (Says the butt dyno).

What I did gain though is a noticeably quicker throttle response (over stock).

To each their own I suppose...
Old 08-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
not for nothing, just sharing some info but I think you are exaggerating just a lil when saying you lose HP, free flowing air versus restricted oem intake, whether short ram or cai a difference will be felt over stock, that has been proven time and time again.....im not going to preach about short ram vs. cai, but long story short cai has its advantages on certain circumstances....even if you notice how the weapon r intake is positioned that filter is much closer to fender then engine itself, but to each its own, just wanted to put my 2 cents....all i know is power will not be lost when going to short ram....i have witnessed the gains from short ram and cai, so to say you lose power i would like to see some numbers to back your theory on how you lose power.........
Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
not for nothing, just sharing some info but I think you are exaggerating just a lil when saying you lose HP, free flowing air versus restricted oem intake, whether short ram or cai a difference will be felt over stock, that has been proven time and time again.....im not going to preach about short ram vs. cai, but long story short cai has its advantages on certain circumstances....even if you notice how the weapon r intake is positioned that filter is much closer to fender then engine itself, but to each its own, just wanted to put my 2 cents....all i know is power will not be lost when going to short ram....i have witnessed the gains from short ram and cai, so to say you lose power i would like to see some numbers to back your theory on how you lose power.........
I've researched the WRSW extensively and I have the pdf of the patent for the WRSW as well. The thermal design and claims are not reasonable, the theory & application is not practical and the patent was moreso for marketing & licensure. I even bought it off fleabay for $70 shipped just to get my hands on it to get a full circle opinion of it. WRSW will not outperform the stock airbox in performance or filtration. The SW foam filter does allow good flow but very poor filtration. If you're into the look and sound.. go for it but get it cheap. Don't buy it for performance. I have yet to find a real dyno comparison showing gains without a HUGE fan blowing at it with the hood open.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Drifting

also not to mention with the SRI, once u remove the stock intake tract, there is no way the air is directed up towards the filter. thats why people say u suck in hot air. granted, u get some cold, but its probably 75/25 in favor of hot air. it doesnt matter how far the filter is from the engine, there TL engine gets hot as f&*k
Old 08-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

I have to question the statement that the motor will not outflow the stock air intake system. If that is the case, why do the motors show an increase in horsepower and torque when a cia is installed. You can't say "its because the hood is open when the dyno is ran", because the hood is up on the base line.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 4SFED
I have to question the statement that the motor will not outflow the stock air intake system. If that is the case, why do the motors show an increase in horsepower and torque when a cia is installed. You can't say "its because the hood is open when the dyno is ran", because the hood is up on the base line.

this is an SRI / WAI discussion not CAI.. nobody made such comments.

A CAI gains are from drawing in cooler air with low restriction.. the consequence is poor filtration usually because many CAI utilize a foam filter. A SRI on the TL draws in air from the engine and air from the resonator box / funnel so you don't fully benefit from the cooler temps. A CAI will have cooler IM temp than the SRI.

Last edited by Majofo; 08-25-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

"What do you think you're gaining? The TL can't outflow the stock paper filter. It is not a restriction so what is a higher flowing filter going to do? The TL already has a semi-cold air induction. You're now cutting it off and feeding the engine hot engine bay air. Where's the gain?"

This is the statement that I am questioning. If you look, our stock system draws air from in front of the battery (don't believe me, take off the cover over the battery and remove the small triangle plastic piece between the battery and headlight and there is the intake duct), when the car is stopped there is no cool air being forced up the air duct by the fog light so the engine in drawing in hot air. Even when the car is moving, the intake is not drawing the outside air, but whatever outside air is mixing with the hot engine compartment air if front of the battery (right next to the radiator by the way).
Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

O'boy...this is the never ending argument. I just want to post a link... Blue Rocket's homemade short intake.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/blues-custom-type-s-intake-688562/
Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4SFED
Originally Posted by IHC
"What do you think you're gaining? The TL can't outflow the stock paper filter. It is not a restriction so what is a higher flowing filter going to do? The TL already has a semi-cold air induction. You're now cutting it off and feeding the engine hot engine bay air. Where's the gain?"
This is the statement that I am questioning. If you look, our stock system draws air from in front of the battery (don't believe me, take off the cover over the battery and remove the small triangle plastic piece between the battery and headlight and there is the intake duct), when the car is stopped there is no cool air being forced up the air duct by the fog light so the engine in drawing in hot air. Even when the car is moving, the intake is not drawing the outside air, but whatever outside air is mixing with the hot engine compartment air if front of the battery (right next to the radiator by the way).
IHC's comment is 100%.. Also, the heat from the fans do not blow into the intake snorkel. The filter sits behind the battery and the snorkel sits in front, but the intake tubing winds below the front lower driver's side grille. The run of the intake tubing and chamber alone would keep the air much cooler.. The snorkel location is not the coldest location but the air drawn into the filter and IM is cooler. Try taking a hair dryer and point it 2 feet from you, now try 6 feet. The temperature variance changes greatly as it is absorbed, which is the reason for the long snorkel, to reduce temp gradient distortions and foster a laminar flow into the filter under vacuum. By using an SRI, you have shunted the flow.. most of the air is drawn from around the filter, only a small percentage is drawn from the intake snorkel.. literally turning a semi-cold air intake into a warm air intake. It would be wise for anyone doing an SRI to remove the intake snorkel & resonator completely and heat shield the filter in hopes of increasing airflow to that quadrant.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Ok, I conceed that the SRI would be drawing warmer air than the stock intake system. But would the increase in temprature really out weigh the reduction in restriction? I guess my real question is has anyone based the argument of "you are loosing horse-power with a SRI" on real data? Has anyone taken data-logs of IAT with stock intake system compared to SRI? It seems everyone is caught up on the increase in temprature but there has to be a gain in air flow. I agree that the engine does not out flow the air filter, but does the resonator not serve as a kind of "air restrictor" at anything other that idle? You are still drawing air through the small opening of the funnel.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
all i need to say is 2 each it's own and numbers never lie.....this discussion is like trying to convince a V8 guru that a 4-banger is better or vise-versa......anyways if someone has numbers of stock vs SRI please share, i wish i still had the numbers when we tested our stock vs. sri, granted it was not a TL, rather a 2003 civic si, but it was still stock vs. SRI
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
^^^^^was the hood open?

this is about the 3g TL not a civic.....just cause a mod made power on one car, doesnt mean it will do the same on another... FYI, power was lost with a CAI in an S2k...see where im going with this.....one car might have a very restrictive induction system, while another might be superior....while these manufactures cant test their product on every car...they will try and test them on a car that will offer a few gains for marketing purposes and save themselves from lying. but it couldn't be true for every other car

Last edited by Opel; 08-26-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Pro

A Velocity stacker is a great add on. Mine is behind the bumper, where the fog light goes. Behind the stacker is the filter than the engine. its pretty cool, something like the civic guys would put.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars

wow, i looked back at this and said, i was having a pretty bad day lol, i forget to say that the Ram i bought came with a Velocity Stacker, which is a great add on since it connects to the ram's filer. The velocity stacker is located behind the bumper, where the fog light goes. I think that day, i was so happy to have it but wasn't thinking what so every, its like have a CAI. All i have on the TL (04 6sp) is the intake and new Y pipe to mufflers and makes out 230 whp. this is a daily so im not looking to make 290 whp+ .
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
"You will lose power"....i love how some people say this with a certainty like if they designed it or dyno'ed it....your comment is your theory/opinion. None of us know for sure until someone does some dyno testing under the correct circumstances.

My theory is that SRI offer slight gains over stock intake. I think the slight gains come in at low RPM's where the positive affect of more air flow is slightly bigger than the negative affects of hotter air. As RPM's increase i think the negative gains from the hotter (larger volume) air becomes more critical and you lose any positive gains (maybe go into negative gains). Having said that, i also believe the slight lower RPM gain will offer a better than stock throttle response. For people like me who use the TL as their daily driver and are not going full throttle every day this slight improvement in low-RPM throttle response might be worth the $200 for a SRI (and no hydro-lock worries).

Disclaimer: I still believe a CAI is the best intake option (definately better SRI). But for us sissies who are scared of some water killing our engine an SRI is still a viable option.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MAS
"You will lose power"....i love how some people say this with a certainty like if they designed it or dyno'ed it....your comment is your theory/opinion. None of us know for sure until someone does some dyno testing under the correct circumstances.

My theory is that SRI offer slight gains over stock intake. I think the slight gains come in at low RPM's where the positive affect of more air flow is slightly bigger than the negative affects of hotter air. As RPM's increase i think the negative gains from the hotter (larger volume) air becomes more critical and you lose any positive gains (maybe go into negative gains). Having said that, i also believe the slight lower RPM gain will offer a better than stock throttle response. For people like me who use the TL as their daily driver and are not going full throttle every day this slight improvement in low-RPM throttle response might be worth the $200 for a SRI (and no hydro-lock worries).

Disclaimer: I still believe a CAI is the best intake option (definately better SRI). But for us sissies who are scared of some water killing our engine an SRI is still a viable option.
true, a good add on is the Velocity Stacker.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MAS

then whats the point of getting a SRI for $200? you could just simply run an open stock air box...just remove the cover and have an exposed filter..so the motor doesnt have to suck its air from outside the engine bay, and it will do so from inside, which would be a shorter route since you think that's giving you gains.

or better yet...just remove the duct from TB to filter box, and just clamp a filter on the TB...there ya removed the long path of air ...

ORRRRRRr even better.....dont clamp a filter on the TB, just throw a puma sock over it and throw a rubber band around to hold it in place.... you just completely removed any restrictions

^^^^^^^^^ kidding...

ts not true that increased flow is better being hotter, over less flow but cooler....not to mention you couldn't make a big enough difference on the 3g TL either way
ECU will pull timing with more air and hotter IATs but it wont with less and cooler IATs

Our ECU doesnt even like to play with injectors much either, it is designed to run as lean as it safely can for emissions and fuel economy (this holds true for below 3k rpm..it runs completely lean, in closed loop)...so dont even think that the increased flow is making the ECU add fuel to make up for the extra air, resulting in more power.. it mainly plays with ignition timing depending on IATs and few other parameters.

SRI will feel nice in the morning when ya first start ur car...but once you've been driving on stop and go traffic in 90 degree weather, and the engine bay turns into a pizza oven, you wont like it much...most of the air it will be sucking, will be from the fans withdrawing air through the radiator blasting it through the engine bay, which of course has nowhere to go.

and this hydrolocking issue...is anyone reading the posts on this? ur not gonna hydrolock unless u took ur car diving...dont blast through 3 feet of water.

dont believe the dynos stated by manufacturers, they are not even done in real life setup...its simply a marketing tool...nothing more...and there's nothing more eye catching than results, but the bad thing is, they're manipulated

think about it...some of us are big on modding our cars...dont you think we'd done it? there's nothing in it for us, because we're not trying to drift you off one product and push you for a different one. At the end of the day, we could care less about what you decide to do

and keep an open mind that not every car is the same....this is about our 3g TL... while another car may have a very restrictive induction system, which would benefit even if you blew a torch inside the TB (figure of speech.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
i have a short ram on mine i belive its from a 2G TL

Quick Reply: Short RAM for 06 TL