RV6 V3 Long Tube J-Pipe Release '04-'08 TL all trims **UPDATE PAGE 4**

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Install day was planned for today... but I threw my back out yesterday... I guess I just have to suck it up
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are most of you guys holding on to your stock pipe after installing the RV6? I don't want my old lady to see it in the garage and be like WTF is that?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell her its not yours. Holding it for a friend. Or Just man up J/K
Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Redlantrn
Are most of you guys holding on to your stock pipe after installing the RV6? I don't want my old lady to see it in the garage and be like WTF is that?
I looked my fiance in the eye and said "I jsut spent 470.00 on my car" .. When I saw her face start to turn sour.. I just looked the other way.. hahah .. She gets presents worth waaay more than that. and she knows it!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bzyrice
I looked my fiance in the eye and said "I jsut spent 470.00 on my car" .. When I saw her face start to turn sour.. I just looked the other way.. hahah .. She gets presents worth waaay more than that. and she knows it!
I hear ya, but when your married, things will be a little different. It'll go from sour looks to you doing this for a couple of weeks. I guess what I was getting at, is there any reason to hold on to the stocker? The RV6 looks like it will last a lifetime, and if I ever sell the car, the new owner might not even know its aftermarket.
Thanks,
J
Old 05-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Redlantrn
I hear ya, but when your married, things will be a little different. It'll go from sour looks to you doing this for a couple of weeks. I guess what I was getting at, is there any reason to hold on to the stocker? The RV6 looks like it will last a lifetime, and if I ever sell the car, the new owner might not even know its aftermarket.
Thanks,
J
Oh yah that would SUCK!! haha.. I guess my faince is still cool with me buying stuff for my car.. That better not change when we get married!! UGH!!

Im holding onto mine just in case I ever have to do emissions.. because my 3rd cat is on it.. actually no im not holding on to mine.. im selling mine right now lol .. No I dont see any reason to hold onto it unless you live in a state with strict emissions.. they might call you out on not having a 3rd cat..
Old 05-08-2010, 08:07 PM

7 sec clip of RV6 V3 long tube J-pipe 35 - 60 mph

Only a 16 mile break in period and from what I hear it should sound even better after a few more miles

Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 PM

The install wasn't to bad. Two of the bolts on the 3rd cat were a real bitch to remove. I ended up having to get the sawzall and cut one of the bolts and the other PITA bolt I used a torch and heated it up and then use air to unbolt it. Everything else was super easy.

My review of this pipe is great. My car feels like it is just floating when I hit the gas. There is so much more power behind the throttle. The car seems to be driving easier as well. It is running at a lower RPM and as of right now I seem to be using less gas (until I go WOT). As for the noise factor... there is no added noise of any kind when I am driving at cruising speed. For all the guys who want to keep this from their wives... no problem, she will NEVER know (Unless you punch it with her in the passenger seat)

If you are thinking about getting this pipe, get it, don't think any more!!! So far, this is one of the best mods that I have ever done to my car.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got mine installed today at a local shop owned by a friend's friend. My buddy and I had my car all jacked up on stands in my garage, and we took one look where the bolts were located and saw that some of them were rusted and looked ceased up.

Plus, we decided that we probably could not get enough torque lying on our backs with the car up on jack stands even with a half decent breaker bar.
Install took about 45 min with the car up on the lift.

I've had the car for a little over a month so my review may not be as good as others, but my butt dyno does feel a significant rise in torque in all gears. Second gear (AT) seems to pull the most. Not a noticeable change in sound until WOT, which is just a bit louder. This piece is great if you're looking for extra horses without huge change in sound, and definitely bang for your buck.

All I can say is that I went with this j-pipe since there's proven dynos on the gains, great customer service and support, and it's well made.
I can't wait now for Richie's cat back.

Thanks for everyone's pics and DIYs. They helped me determine how it should look before and after install and how much of the plastic shield I had to dremel.
I also have Injen CAI coming in the mail next week and the mod bug has gotten to me again.

thanks, michael
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

I had my car for two weeks today, I havent had the time to order it yet. I cant wait till monday to order it.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

Just ordered it. I couldnt wait till monday. Please ship asap
Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
how much should i tighten the bolts from the front cats?
i am afraid that i am going to strip them if i over tighten.
i am using a 16" breaker bar to tighten the with.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

If you are tightening by ratchet, just tighten them till you cant. If you are using air, Just be carefull. Hit the trigger couple of times.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
ok then i better stop.
thanks!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Very Happy to report my MPG after an hour long drive with the RV6 V3 being my only current Mod....was not able to just lock it in at 80mph due to some traffic but this is a good 3 MPG jump from what I use to get during this drive!!

Old 05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
When I order this I'll have to get it shipped to work. My parents will freak if a big box shows up at the house with my name on it. To them big boxes equal big money. They might start to charge me rent and I want to avoid that.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
well the deed is done.

Yesterday I installed the V3 j-pipe and also my PCD's.

Did everything without a lift - just jacked up in my driveway - and after several hours of monkeying on top of my car to reach some of the tight spots on the backside of the engine bay, we did manage to get everything loose. For some reason one of the nuts on the backside holding the rear pre-cat to the manifold was partially rounded. I've never touched that part of my TL before and nothing has ever needed work in that area - I was pretty baffled and assuming it came that way from the factory as a glitch on my particular car.

Worried me a bit because I couldn't get a 6-point socket on it but did manage to bust it loose with a 12-point wrench without stripping the thing. That was a lucky break.

it was 40 degrees yesterday and we hammered on the car for several hours last night to break it in so when I went out this morning to check everything, I definitely had to re-tighten a few of the bolts on the lower side about 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Going from cold to hot then cold overnight again is something to watch out for on these types of installs - so be sure (as you should anyway) to double-check your work the morning after! Don't want a blown gasket and your car to drive down the road sounding like a dilapidated 1986 honda civic with a rusted out exhaust pipe with holes in it.

break-in period was < 10 miles to get rid of rasp from the PCD's, and after 3 hours of straight driving I could definitely tell the ECU was starting to remap itself to adjust to the new mods.

Throttle response is much better, pace through all gears is better, and the top-end is amazing. The pull from 70 to 100 is so much better now.

I also feel like acceleration as a whole is smoother. After pulling out the stock pre-cats and seeing how restrictive they were, I immediately realized how we gain so much power on our cars by doing the PCD mod. I really think that + the jpipe is the best bang for the buck at this point. I love my AEM v2 as well but this stuff just rocks.

Stock exhaust from the j-pipe back and I can hear nothing in the cabin even with PCD's while cruising. The sound is entirely as it was before. Stock exhaust does a hell of a good job keeping it down. I can't notice anything unless I'm pushing on the gas pedal, but WOT is nuts. The car is f'in LOUD at WOT.

For me (considering my wife drives the car every once in a while), this was definitely the best marriage of mods. If you're looking for sick bang for the buck + not too loud for normal driving conditions, getting PCD's and v3 jpipe definitely is a good way to go.

Very pleased with the purchase. awesome products, Richie.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

Done installing mine just 15 min ago, details and a pic or 2 to come. Can't wait to drive home and experience V3 on stock car.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Installed mine last night, replacing my ATLP V1 Jpipe. Ive also had the V2 PCD's and ATLP Quad exhaust. With Richie's V3I notice a maerginal difference in mid-rangepower, especially in 2nd gear pulls w/my 5AT. Top end seems the same. There is no rasp since the break in period, unless of course the temperative gets into the 30's and the car is cold (as it did last evening). All around thumbs up!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:42 AM
A-SPEC TL

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
well the deed is done.

Yesterday I installed the V3 j-pipe and also my PCD's.

Did everything without a lift - just jacked up in my driveway - and after several hours of monkeying on top of my car to reach some of the tight spots on the backside of the engine bay, we did manage to get everything loose. For some reason one of the nuts on the backside holding the rear pre-cat to the manifold was partially rounded. I've never touched that part of my TL before and nothing has ever needed work in that area - I was pretty baffled and assuming it came that way from the factory as a glitch on my particular car.

Worried me a bit because I couldn't get a 6-point socket on it but did manage to bust it loose with a 12-point wrench without stripping the thing. That was a lucky break.

it was 40 degrees yesterday and we hammered on the car for several hours last night to break it in so when I went out this morning to check everything, I definitely had to re-tighten a few of the bolts on the lower side about 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Going from cold to hot then cold overnight again is something to watch out for on these types of installs - so be sure (as you should anyway) to double-check your work the morning after! Don't want a blown gasket and your car to drive down the road sounding like a dilapidated 1986 honda civic with a rusted out exhaust pipe with holes in it.

break-in period was < 10 miles to get rid of rasp from the PCD's, and after 3 hours of straight driving I could definitely tell the ECU was starting to remap itself to adjust to the new mods.

Throttle response is much better, pace through all gears is better, and the top-end is amazing. The pull from 70 to 100 is so much better now.

I also feel like acceleration as a whole is smoother. After pulling out the stock pre-cats and seeing how restrictive they were, I immediately realized how we gain so much power on our cars by doing the PCD mod. I really think that + the jpipe is the best bang for the buck at this point. I love my AEM v2 as well but this stuff just rocks.

Stock exhaust from the j-pipe back and I can hear nothing in the cabin even with PCD's while cruising. The sound is entirely as it was before. Stock exhaust does a hell of a good job keeping it down. I can't notice anything unless I'm pushing on the gas pedal, but WOT is nuts. The car is f'in LOUD at WOT.

For me (considering my wife drives the car every once in a while), this was definitely the best marriage of mods. If you're looking for sick bang for the buck + not too loud for normal driving conditions, getting PCD's and v3 jpipe definitely is a good way to go.

Very pleased with the purchase. awesome products, Richie.
post up some videoss!!

i want to hear how it sounds with PCD's and the jpipe on the stock exhausttt.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Dang...I guess this answers my question.
I've often wondered what the heck this was and what it does. 2nd most expensive mod after the Tein SS's. But definitely interested to save more gas and have more "GO". Maybe when my car payments end .

Hmm...wheels, or DSLR camera, or Jpipe...lots of options...and lots of money! Great looking product and by reading what everyone has written looks interesting to me.

If I read correctly, this CAN be installed ourselves but the bolts will be seized and very hard to get to, right? Ok, just have to keep in mind. How much does somehting like this cost to install in S. Florida?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
^If you plan on doing it yourself, you can spray the nuts/threads the night before with wd-40 or liquid wrench. Leaving them sprayed overnight should make it easier to remove some tough bolts the next day.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PB Blaster works wonders. Soak for like 5 minutes and you're golden.

Plus you live in FL.... your bolts shouldn't be TOO bad.

BTW, wheels for $470?? Damn! Get the DSLR and pick up some wheels when you have more funds.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Dang...I guess this answers my question.
I've often wondered what the heck this was and what it does. 2nd most expensive mod after the Tein SS's. But definitely interested to save more gas and have more "GO". Maybe when my car payments end .

Hmm...wheels, or DSLR camera, or Jpipe...lots of options...and lots of money! Great looking product and by reading what everyone has written looks interesting to me.

If I read correctly, this CAN be installed ourselves but the bolts will be seized and very hard to get to, right? Ok, just have to keep in mind. How much does somehting like this cost to install in S. Florida?
I doused the bolts and nuts with PB Blaster on Friday night before I started the install on Saturday morning. I had no issues whatsoever breaking the bolts on the bottom of the car loose.

For reference I was using a 2 foot breaker bar to bust the j-pipe to lower pre-cat nuts loose.

For the bolts attaching the 3rd cat to the back end of the exhaust system, I used breaker bar version 2.0 aka my leg coming at it from the side of the car with a 3/4 drive ratchet hanging from the bolts that I just pressed into with my foot. Made short work of all 3 bolts.

I live in Wisconsin and with PB blaster i had no problems.

You will be fine. If you are just doing the jpipe alone then this would be no problem for you to do.

Videos of PCD + V3 jpipe + stock exhaust + AEM v2 to come once the weather clears up. It's raining like a mofo right now.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
zaino'd

^ Haha nice work! Yeah nuts/bolts hate midwest salt.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Sweet deal. Thanks guys. I may have to consider this. If it really is a "must have" mod for the car like the people I trust on here...then it's hard to turn it down. Especially if it'll give it that "oompf" that makes it more fun to drive at low RPM's...namely less hitting the gas to get up and going more easily.

I do live in Florida and I think my mechanical skill far surpasses my confidence. I think I'll have no problem doing this with what you guys have given me as far as advice. Thanks.

No wheels for 500 bucks...lol...I actually love the Aspecs...maybe I'll do this instead of wheels. Was just implying a lot of expensive mods on my horizon.

I feel "done" with my car, but there's always something new/more to do. lol.

still left for me...
front camber
new tires
possibly rear sway bar (progress)
and now maybe Jpipe. I already have a stage III exhaust so this would probably help actually make some gains instead of just noise.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Anyone running this pipe with continued rasp? I replaced my ATLP V1 j-pipe and Hi-Flow 3rd cat and now have rasp from around 3100-4500rpm.

I have had the new j-pipe on for over a week now and put on about 500 miles but the rasp hasnt gone away. I didnt have any rasp prior to this install either. The performance is great from it, but I dont know if I can put up with the new exhaust note.

All mods are listed in my sig. Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

Does this add to the sound of the car too? And how much would it cost to get it installed professionally? Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

RV-6 V3 feedback

Installed my V3 J-pipe last night on my stock 5AT.
Sound: I had no noise that most are writing about during break in period. It got throatier after 85 miles. When you punch it, it's definately throatier than stock, it sounds great. I haven't taken it to higher speeds yet, just local driving.

Performance: car pulls alot better, I feel a better throttle response, definately quicker, I love the difference and it's a noticable difference. It's awesome!

Install: I did it myself with a helping hand from my dad. If you have the tools to do it, go for it. Install was very simple. (Removal of stock:I used the air gun, and needed to use the grinder for one of the original bolts between cat and mid muffler, it was super rusty.). There was a need to cut a part of the splash guard.

Overall: this is an easy DIY mod, noticable gains and improvement. Thumbs up Richie, I am impressed and satisfied customer. I highly recommend this part.

More feedback to come: pics along w/ gas mileage feedback.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:42 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by rockstar143
still left for me...
front camber
OT but save your money. You won't need this unless you are dumped... and by dumped, I don't mean Teins... think Megans or F2.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 AM
05 SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Got mine install finally went to a local shop did it for 100 bucks had to torch all the bolts from the precats..

preformance wise you can definitely feel the car pulling and better throttle response..and it sounds great nice deep tone with the stock exhaust. Nice job Richie

Now im just waiting for my ATLP to come in
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

I'm gonna try installing mine tomorrow. I will be doing it at my job with a lift. Hopefully wont have any problems with bolts. We have all necessary tools to do any job including a welder.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nbp08aspec
Does this add to the sound of the car too? And how much would it cost to get it installed professionally? Thanks
I posted a short vid of my car with pipe installed and stock exhaust. I can barely notice it till it's go time, and still it's very acceptable. VId is a couple pages back.
I paid $80 to have it installed. Some shops said they wouldn't do it because they could face a 10K fine. Luckily other shops had different opinions.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
is the 10k fine for removing the CAT?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
is the 10k fine for removing the CAT?
Thats pretty much what a couple of shops said. Funny thing is in GA they don't check emissions on cars 96' and newer. Anything 95' and older gets sniff test and visual inspection of Cat for tampering/removal. I believe it's most likely federal law.

J

Last edited by Redlantrn; 05-12-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM
zaino'd

Fuck those shops... stop asking the "regular" shops to install this. Hit up a performance shop and they'll do it, no problems asked.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 AM
2005 AM at/navi

hey if i buy this is it a direct bolt on? even if i currently have completely stock exhaust? im trying to save for a cat back but i might buy this for now if it works on my stock set-up. thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by jr27
hey if i buy this is it a direct bolt on? even if i currently have completely stock exhaust? im trying to save for a cat back but i might buy this for now if it works on my stock set-up. thanks
Yes it will work fine with your stock exhaust. The posted dynos were actually done with a stock exhaust.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 AM
zaino'd

^ Yes. There's also videos on here of people running the Rv6 V3 j-pipe with their stock exhaust.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Richie, how many of these you have left?

Quick Reply: RV6 V3 Long Tube J-Pipe Release '04-'08 TL all trims **UPDATE PAGE 4**