RV6 pre cat deletes??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV6 pre cat deletes??

I was wondering how effective these actually were. i have been doing alot of research and read through most of the forums and was able to come to a conclusion on what exhaust system i wanted. however i am not sure if i should wait for his next batch of pre cat deletes which are being modified. i am wondering if you see noticible gains in performance. some one please help or redirect me. thank you !
Old 10-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Advanced

The deletes make good power and are definately worth doing depending on what your goal is.
If you just care about the performace then there is no question do them yesterday.
If you have done your reasearch the only downsides to the deletes are as follows:

1. If you have to pass emissions tests they make it more difficult. Now im not saying you cant pass because im sure someone has a way to do it or some different stories about their individual cases but ultimately they are for off road use only and deleting you cats is ILLEGAL. If you want to tackle reinstalling you stock cats for your test the waaallah problem solved and reinstall you deletes. Once again very broad but if emissions is something you have to pass then from my understanding you have some concerns come test time.
2. People say by deleting you cats you might experience a gas smell in the cabin. Not so much all the time but when you stop and other drivers might complain behind you. Now that being said I do not experience this gas smell but mabe once in awhile when I come to a stop. Never bothers me and it happens so rarely that is is not a concern of mine. I have had both girls and guys in my car and no one has mention it yet.
3. Other members have reported a loss of low end TQ due to loss of backpressure. This is due to the fact that it slightly changes the powerband causing a free flowing top end which makes it feel like you might have lost some low end pull but like I have already said this is just what has been reported. Now in my case I didnt have any low end lost but I felt a bump in the whole powerband especially the top end. I have read mix reports from other users but end of the day you free up more HP and make your car faster.
4. Exhaust noise and note. Deleting your cats is like taking 2 or 3 mini mufflers off you exhaust system. Louder your exhaust will be and deeper. Rasp is the name of the game at this point. Will you get it? probably but once again not every case is the same. I experienced a whole lot of it but that is because I discovered later that my muffler is cracked and caused my resonance sound. Now I dont know if that will take care of all the rasp but im crossing my fingers. You can add a resonator to kill it but I dont know 100% about that particular part. Someone else please provide additional input. The sound and the rasp depend on the rest of your setup though. Im completely free flowing and I love to just listen to my car as I pull through the gears. Once again end of story opens up your exhaust more causing it to be louder but you can tame it down if wanted in a few different ways.

Those are the only downsides I have read or can remember at the moment. If I didnt mention something im sure someone else will chime in. Now for gains......Hands down the best performace gain so far for me and others (besides S/C or JandR turbo) have said the same thing. Those cats really choke the car and removing them feels like you really open up and unleash the potential it has always had. Car is def quicker and has a more aggresive exhaust note. Alright now thats my.

Its a must do in my book.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
On the upside, you will probably gain 25-30 WHP on the pre-cat deletes alone, mainly at higher RPMs.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
On the upside, you will probably gain 25-30 WHP on the pre-cat deletes alone, mainly at higher RPMs.
Whoa, idk about 25-30 unless S/C. 6 speed TL should see 12-15whp, Type S 15-20, Accord 8-12.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Intermediate

you guys have been much help. im a younger kid so the gas smell really wouldnt bother me but i didnt read many cases that had said anything about it. as for the power you pretty much sold me, i did not think that it made that much of a difference. and as for emmisions, theres ALWAYS a way around it so ill work that one out. thank you very much u really helped me in deciding