Rv6 pcd/hfpc

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rv6 pcd/hfpc

Hello everybody...First time post here on acurazine. I've been lurking for the past few days, and reading up on the trials and tribulations y'all went thru when installing the RV6 PCDs and/or HFPCs.

I've got a 2009 Honda Accord coupe, 3.5L 6-6. So Richie is about to release HFPCs and PCDs for the Accords and 4th gen TLs.

I've done a bunch of reading over here, and have educated myself through your experiences. I've read about the concerns of rasp (and smell) with the PCDs, and the resonator solution. I read through the entire thread on the purchase of PCDs/HFPCs and there was a lot of discussion on dyno of PCDs vs HFPCs, and video/sound clips of HFPCs, but I never really saw any results.

So, did anyone ever dyno HFPCs? Or post a video/sound clip of HFPCs? I've seen a bunch of videos on the PCDs, but I haven't found much in the way of HFPC information. Since I live in an area where they do computer tests plus visual inspection, I'm a little concerned with PCDs. I have the V3 J-Pipe, and didn't have any trouble passing last year.

Thanks in advance for any input/feedback you might have.

And if you get bored, check out my DIY youtube channel. I plan on doing a DIY video on the HFPC install once they finally ship (my deposit has been in since January!)
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Would a tech really pay attention to what the cat looks like? I mean my PCD's look factory almost.
Then again, it is their job to check...
I also dont think any one has dyno'd the HFC's.

We're also having a tri-city meet in san antonio this weekend on the 20th.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 PM
10th Gear

Not sure if an inspector would know by looking that I had PCDs. I'm sure they don't see them very often. But they'd know the smell of unscrubbed exhaust, which is what worries me more.

So, yeah..it'll be a game time decision. One side is HFPC, the other is PCDs + resonator. I've been going back and forth quite a bit.

Where and when is the meet on Saturday?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM

yeah, thats a dead give away. my shit reeks.

I'm traveling from Houston to San Antonio. Sat. the 20th at 1pm at Eisenhower park.
https://acurazine.com/forums/texas-319/tri-city-meet-%2Asan-antonio-tx%2A-%7Bsaturday-08-20-11%7D-825017/
Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Superstressed

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Hittman
Hello everybody...First time post here on acurazine. I've been lurking for the past few days, and reading up on the trials and tribulations y'all went thru when installing the RV6 PCDs and/or HFPCs.

I've got a 2009 Honda Accord coupe, 3.5L 6-6. So Richie is about to release HFPCs and PCDs for the Accords and 4th gen TLs.

I've done a bunch of reading over here, and have educated myself through your experiences. I've read about the concerns of rasp (and smell) with the PCDs, and the resonator solution. I read through the entire thread on the purchase of PCDs/HFPCs and there was a lot of discussion on dyno of PCDs vs HFPCs, and video/sound clips of HFPCs, but I never really saw any results.

So, did anyone ever dyno HFPCs? Or post a video/sound clip of HFPCs? I've seen a bunch of videos on the PCDs, but I haven't found much in the way of HFPC information. Since I live in an area where they do computer tests plus visual inspection, I'm a little concerned with PCDs. I have the V3 J-Pipe, and didn't have any trouble passing last year.

Thanks in advance for any input/feedback you might have.

And if you get bored, check out my DIY youtube channel. I plan on doing a DIY video on the HFPC install once they finally ship (my deposit has been in since January!)
\
I thought I read somewhere a post on HFPC dyno, but I could be wrong. I opted for them based on the no smell factor. I also spoke to Richie and he said he figured 2-5hp less than the PCD's. I am happy with the choice also because I've read that people get some browning on the Exhaust tips and bumper with the PCD's. On the other hand more guys have the PCD's than HFPC's. I can tell you that the High Flows, Jpipe and Catback really woke my car up and I went with a less expensive catback which IMO sounds great.
For me, it took a lot of debating and asking questions to people, but you have to weigh the pro's and con's and oh yeah price difference too.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM

the brown residue on the exhaust tips is a non issue.
all exhaust tips get dirty from soot.
when you wash the car, clean the tips.

Originally Posted by justnspace
PCD residue:

After Bar Keeper's Friend.

Inaccurate recommended an alcohol wipe for the bumper. It's still brown.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TLove It!
\
I thought I read somewhere a post on HFPC dyno, but I could be wrong. I opted for them based on the no smell factor. I also spoke to Richie and he said he figured 2-5hp less than the PCD's. I am happy with the choice also because I've read that people get some browning on the Exhaust tips and bumper with the PCD's. On the other hand more guys have the PCD's than HFPC's. I can tell you that the High Flows, Jpipe and Catback really woke my car up and I went with a less expensive catback which IMO sounds great.
For me, it took a lot of debating and asking questions to people, but you have to weigh the pro's and con's and oh yeah price difference too.
Are you still getting rasp, IIRC you were running HFPC and RV J pipe on stock OEM catback and reported it sounded like JustnSpace's rasp?

Also has anyone running HFPC's through an emissions test? Curious to know the results, with my Legacy GT for members running the Cobb Catted downpipe, the cat in that pipe didn't filter out enough of the exhaust for a pass in CO. They ended up throwing on the stock J pipe and would pass with no issue.

If anyone has run PCD's with stock j pipe and ran through emissions did you pass? Or were the stock primary cats needed? If I could pass with PCD's and stock j pipe, suppress rasp with a long resonator I would be on board to go that route.

For the record I had rasp with the RV6 J pipe and magnaflow catback running no resonator. I put on a vibrant ultra quiet resonator, it suppressed that rasp completely and minimized drone. Good to see you over here Hittman, I should have quit being lazy piece of shite and started this thread to get as much of a definitive answer as we can to make the right choice when we can pay our balance for the HFPC/PCDs.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I would go by the laws....if in Texas they do a sniff test, I would go with HFC's....if only a visual them you might be able to pass with the PCD's but you wont be able to take it to an Acura dealer for inspection...

With PCD's you will get a little smell but thats something you can live with....but yeah I was biting my nails while the guy was inspecting my car LOL....
Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Superstressed

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Are you still getting rasp, IIRC you were running HFPC and RV J pipe on stock OEM catback and reported it sounded like JustnSpace's rasp?
After the Tsudo catback went on there is less than there was before which wasn't too bad anyway. I made a vid after exhaust went on but the sound quality from the Flip camera sucks, plus lot of traffic too.

In CT they just do an OBD emission test as I recall, but I'm due soon so I'll post up when it happens.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
High flow cats all the way. Tiny bit less horsepower, but if you're in a state that frowns on illegal cat-free performance joy, it's worth it to just get the high flows.

Plus the high flow cats sound better in almost every situation. I had a 3" high flow cat on my S2000 and it sounded even better than a test-pipe, with less drone.

If you want rasp-free power, get high flows. Make sure you're not one of those goofballs who thinks adding a resonator is pointless as they drive around with rasp and annoying drone and their +0.3 extra whp, because a resonator + high flow cats is the way to go.

Plus, when have you ever seen PCD's/testpipes of any kind look as good as this?

High flow cats are awesome.

Last edited by DisgustipatedAP1; 08-17-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 AM

Well in Texas, they dont really sniff and the visual was a joke.
the inspector hooked the computer up to the OBDII port and I passed.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Superstressed

Originally Posted by DisgustipatedAP1
High flow cats all the way. Tiny bit less horsepower, but if you're in a state that frowns on illegal cat-free performance joy, it's worth it to just get the high flows.

Plus the high flow cats sound better in almost every situation. I had a 3" high flow cat on my S2000 and it sounded even better than a test-pipe, with less drone.

If you want rasp-free power, get high flows. Make sure you're not one of those goofballs who thinks adding a resonator is pointless as they drive around with rasp and annoying drone and their +0.3 extra whp, because a resonator + high flow cats is the way to go.

Plus, when have you ever seen PCD's/testpipes of any kind look as good as this?
\

The Asura does look nice but are you confusing High Flow PRE CATS with the inline you have in your picture? And I don't know about you, but with my HFPC's there is no need for an extra resonator other than the one on my exhaust unless you meant, don't have NO resonator at all?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DisgustipatedAP1

Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 AM
10th Gear

Awesome input, guys. Thanks for all of it!

I'm still rockin' the OEM exhaust...kinda like the "sleeper" look. So, I'm beginning to think that the HFPCs is the best solution for me. HFPCs will:
  • give me the best chance of not being hassled at visual inspection
  • prevent the obvious "I'm catless" scent and brown tail pipe area (I don't mind the smell, personally, but it's tell-tale for tree huggin' Austin inspectors).
  • lower the chance of rasp (even though the 3rd cat has been replaced by my RV6 v3 J-Pipe)
  • give me a little less WHP , but it's still gonna be a leap above OEM PCs.
  • negate the need to cut up my exhaust and put in a resonator.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:31 PM

^^^ cost you more

Other than that you all set....but I still think you would need a resonator when you put on an exhaust, IF AND ONLY IF you want a deep sounding exhaust....if you want loud, GO FOR IT
Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 PM

nice! glad i could help with your decision
Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
10th Gear

I'm gonna try to make it down to Eisenhower Park....I'll be the guy "slumming it" with the Honda @ the Acura meet :P
Old 08-17-2011, 02:32 PM

^we've invited a lot more cars than Acura's.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 PM

Hittmann be there dude.....I am coming all the way from KS...wanna meet as many people as I can....
Old 08-20-2011, 01:36 PM
B A N N E D

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
There always is the option of putting the stock one back on come emissions time