Royal Purple Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Royal Purple Review

Well after 44k miles and having rough tranny shiftage as well as sluggish performance I started searching for what became a godsend.....ROYAL PURPLE PRODUCTS

I went to royalpurple.com and on the right side watched the video of Horsepower tv replacing the engine, trans, and rear end fluids in a camaro ss. The base line dyno vs the dyno run after the fluids actually gained about 7 HP.

Needless to say this totally sparked my intersts, but still left me skeptical because of possible financial contribution from Royal Purple to horsepower tv behind the scenes for such a video.

I decided to call around, and to my surprise the prices were rather high vs other normal product. So I figured hmmmm what gives? after much research and speaking with Royal Purple people I found that extensive R&D has gone into the products to offer supreme friciton reducing products yeilding... you got it power.

So I did the 3x3 flush with Honda ATF, now the first flush the tranny still felt rough, by the second flush my eyebrow was raised wait I think I feel something, by the 3rd I was like wow feels great SO I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING THE 3X3 flush even before your 50k mark, it just does wonders.

NOTE: I got really froggy and also flushed my motor out using a 3x3 method to give it a good cleanse while I was at it

My ace up the sleve was of course Royal Purple ATF and 5w-20 synthetic oil, all I can say is after adding these products combined with the 3x3 flushes, I am completely amazed at the feeling of peppiness, smoothness, and crisp shifting. The car accelerates now under light pedal to normal traffic speed with such ease its mind blowing, when WOT watch out! The car literally screams and as being a previous Integra Type R owner, my motor now has that same feeling of "dying to be reved to high RPM" as the the ITR motor is known for.

I didnt do any dynos to confirm power gains, which I should have

But I can tell you the feeling of difference is so prevalent that there is no way the car has not picked up at least medial gains in power, and lots smoothness and less friciton added.

simply amazing.

cheers.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're going to probably get a lot of argument from some of the seasoned oil gurus here, just prepare yourself :P

I personally ran RP oil in my old IS300 and I also used RP ATF briefly until I was told that RP ATF was linked to transmission failures on the IS300 ATs. I have no idea if this translates over to Honda ATs, but it's something to note.

I personally have switched over to Amsoil products because they are far superior to RPs stuff, and I will probably make the switch to Redline after my next oil change when my Amsoil preferred customer status runs out because it is even better than both.

Glad you've had positive results so far though, let us know how your transmission holds up. I don't think anyone here has extensively run RP in their TL transmissions.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I use redline but may give RP a shot.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
The RP is not the reason why your car is shifting any better or running any better unless you've been changing your oil with conventional every 20k miles. It is because you did your ATF 3x3. Just like any ATF guru's you made a mistake in getting the Honda Z1 ATF. You should've got Redline Racing ATF which sustains higher temps and lower than the Z1 among other things.

You like it, and that's good, but you could've got better products at the same price

Royal Purple is overrated, it is the same synthetic as Mobil 1 and Penzoil. Redline is the way to go.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Souljah
I use redline but may give RP a shot.
That would be a move in the wrong direction.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
The RP is not the reason why your car is shifting any better or running any better unless you've been changing your oil with conventional every 20k miles. It is because you did your ATF 3x3. Just like any ATF guru's you made a mistake in getting the Honda Z1 ATF. You should've got Redline Racing ATF which sustains higher temps and lower than the Z1 among other things.

You like it, and that's good, but you could've got better products at the same price

Royal Purple is overrated, it is the same synthetic as Mobil 1 and Penzoil. Redline is the way to go.
Its all food for thought, and saying one is better then the other is based on opinion unless you have documents to prove it, its still OPINION BASED. I highly doubt a major company like RP would be selling a fluid which causes trans failures, I believe no matter what fluid you use, beating on the trans will cause failure.
Thats like running honda ATF or redline and beating on your car, when it breaks is it the fluids fault?... I think not. User error.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Either way I plan on changing the engine and trans every 3k miles for added protection so I will give redline and or other products a shot as well.... but again, "assumptions make an ... well you know the rest.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
oh god, i hate cars is here! everybody scatter!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
The RP is not the reason why your car is shifting any better or running any better unless you've been changing your oil with conventional every 20k miles. It is because you did your ATF 3x3.

You sir are correct, however I think we can all agree that RP fluids is still better protection over a stock Honda fluid.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OntheJob
Its all food for thought, and saying one is better then the other is based on opinion unless you have documents to prove it, its still OPINION BASED. I highly doubt a major company like RP would be selling a fluid which causes trans failures, I believe no matter what fluid you use, beating on the trans will cause failure.
Thats like running honda ATF or redline and beating on your car, when it breaks is it the fluids fault?... I think not. User error.
Actually, most Honda 5at failures are the OEM fluid's fault. It's explained in detail in the other threads. The short version is the OEM fluid has way too much FM which causes long sloppy shifts and tons of clutch wear on every shift. It also has MUCH less clutch holding power. If RP has the same level of FM as Z1 (which I have no idea) then it's only advantage is the better base oil which will hold up better at high temps. The reduction or elimination of FM in the Redline Racing fluid is where the longevity benefits really come in.

Some transmissions can take just about any fluid and be ok. The TL with it's compact design, less clutches and smaller clutches NEEDs a fluid with less FM if it's going to last.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
That would be a move in the wrong direction.
?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Souljah
?
LOL. It's fine but for the same price you can have an ester base oil, lots of ZDDP, moly, and ultra high HTHS of Redline.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It came directly from a Toyota tech who had done several AT teardowns that had used RP and apparently it was something in the additives that wasn't agreeing with the way the AT was designed. I don't know enough about transmission engineering to comment further, but I had no reason not to believe him and immediately drained the fluid out and replaced it with another brand.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts

Completely understandable. They're are facts to prove it, I just don't know them. IHC and Innacurate can enligten you on that part. RP has good products, but they are overpriced. At the same price of RP I could get a legitimate oil, both ATF and motor oil, from Redline or Amsoil (which to me are the best) with lots of ZDDP. And your comparison at the end has nothing to do on what I'm saying FYI. Let's just say if you have Redline and you redline your car a lot, the Redline fluid would last longer than the ATF Z1. And the fact that you chose RP because you've been watching too many Fast and Furious movies or seen "race car" drivers use it frequently because they're sponsored.

I also did a search regarding both RP oil and ATF before. Both yielded same results as any base synthetic such as Mobil 1 and Penzoil (which aren't 100% synthetic).
Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, most Honda 5at failures are the OEM fluid's fault. It's explained in detail in the other threads. The short version is the OEM fluid has way too much FM which causes long sloppy shifts and tons of clutch wear on every shift. It also has MUCH less clutch holding power. If RP has the same level of FM as Z1 (which I have no idea) then it's only advantage is the better base oil which will hold up better at high temps. The reduction or elimination of FM in the Redline Racing fluid is where the longevity benefits really come in.

Some transmissions can take just about any fluid and be ok. The TL with it's compact design, less clutches and smaller clutches NEEDs a fluid with less FM if it's going to last.
i thought that the more FM the better and that is why people with 6spds go with the GM friction modified syncromesh fluid above all else?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 01clsstock
i thought that the more FM the better and that is why people with 6spds go with the GM friction modified syncromesh fluid above all else?

That's on a manual. Completely different animals.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Ok so then for my next trans flush I should use amsoil or redline as to have the most protection ?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
for i hate cars...iyo what do you think is the best syncromesh fluid for a 6mt???
Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Team Owner

Ok so then for my next trans flush I should use amsoil or redline as to have the most protection ?
The RP "racing" fluid that I linked to in the other thread should work very well since it has no friction modifiers. You would be the first person to try it on here and probably the first one ever in a TL. It should give very similar results to the Redline Racing or Amsoil super shift which are all a Type F non FM fluid. The RP product you're using now would be the equivalent of Redline D4 or Amsoil ATF.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I thought GM synchromesh was the way to go for the 6mt
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
should you ever change the filter? and where can i get Amsoil or Redline ATF from?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
for i hate cars...iyo what do you think is the best syncromesh fluid for a 6mt???
Probably the GM fluid. Too little FM and it gets notchy. Too much and it grinds. Think of the syncros as little clutches that speed up or slow down the shafts to match speed so the gears can engage. They need a little slip but too much slip and the gears don't match speed before they engage and it grinds.

I have a feeling the GM fluid will work well for a long time and as the car gets waaaay up there in age the Honda stuff may work better but that's pure theory, I have no acutal experience with the Honda 6mt.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
thanks for your input....im gonna try it out and see what happens....cant hurt right....gonna see where i can get the best price and order some....thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

The RP "racing" fluid that I linked to in the other thread should work very well since it has no friction modifiers. You would be the first person to try it on here and probably the first one ever in a TL. It should give very similar results to the Redline Racing or Amsoil super shift which are all a Type F non FM fluid. The RP product you're using now would be the equivalent of Redline D4 or Amsoil ATF.
Cool Ill give it a shot next oil change, or maybe the redline and write up a comparison if anything is noted.