Rip the old 3.2vtec motor out and put "new" one in or repair the old?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rip the old 3.2vtec motor out and put "new" one in or repair the old?

Okay I'm so close to just ripping the 3.2vtec motor out of my 2007 Acura TL and putting a "new" one in and be done with it my Acura is almost 200,000 miles so would it even be worth replacing parts on the old motor? Or should I go with a "newer" one with less miles if so could I possibly spend a little extra and get the 3.5vtec? Would it fit or would it have to be modified? Would my old transmission even fit on the 3.5?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
engines do not just quit.
you would have to have neglected it, or something catastrophic to happen in order to warrant an engine swap.

so, unless you starved it of oil, or timing belt broke and pistons kissed the valves, there is absolutely no reason to swap the engine.

username is a foreshadowing moment? Aarondontcare!? was it starved of oil, Aaron?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:25 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I'd replace this thread with a better one titled "don't rip out the old 3.2 vtec because you won't know what problems might lie in the next engine that doesn't belong in the car".

Do your normal maintenance on the 3.2 because if you won't do that, you probably won't do it on the 3.5 either...which would be a good idea either way.
Given your due diligence in researching any of the things you asked that are well documented on Acurazine though, I would be shocked if you did any of these things.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:46 AM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
200K on a honda motor is nothing. I have alomost 180K and it drives better than my gals brand new car
Old 07-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Ya'al are being brutal to the OP.

Why are you considering replacing the original motor? You didn't mention why you'd want to replace it. Is there something wrong with it? What parts would you need to replace? If it's simply because it has 200K on it, that would be the equivalent to replacing a 10 year old water heater just because it's old rather than using it until it dies. I don't know anybody that does that.

I just had the second timing belt service and valves adjusted on my 2009 Pilot and my mechanic said everything checks out. It's got about 215K miles on it. The only "parts" that were replaced were the typical seals and gaskets along with the timing belt components (water pump, tensioner, etc.). Otherwise, it doesn't burn a drop of oil and sounds great (now that the valves are adjusted....). It's a 3.5L but the same basic J-series V6 that Honda uses in half of all the cars it manufactures. If you're talking about internal parts such as valves or bearings, then it likely means that there was some underlying issue with the engine, which is an exception to most Honda engines, or it wasn't properly maintained.

Also, consider how much money you want to dump into a TL with 200K miles. If you're spending more than half the value of the car, which would be easy to do with an engine replacement, it's probably not worth it.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Ya'al are being brutal to the OP.

Why are you considering replacing the original motor? You didn't mention why you'd want to replace it. I
because knee-jerk reaction from a young kid

Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
because knee-jerk reaction from a young kid

Probably true. I was dumb as a brick at 22. Which is why I needed those wiser than me to make me think before I acted.

Search this Thread