Redesigned Innovative Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Redesigned Innovative Motor Mounts?

Saw heeltoe's facebook post about having innovative motor mounts online and noticed that the front and rear mounts are oriented differently.

If this is a new design, I wonder if it'll make a difference on engine movement AND donuting of the bushings.

I'm in the market of new mounts so I might give these a shot if Heeltoe can confirm that these are officially the design.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/product....at=2736&page=1
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
They look pretty sweet. I'm in the market as well but have been a little hesitant with the donuting reviews.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
This design doesn't look like it would help very much with the donut-ing issue...With the points of contact (on the front and rear mount only), it looks like there would be more pressure on the top of the bushing than on the bottom. In other words, the pressure on the bushing doesn't look to be evenly distributed...but I could be wrong...

I think the donut issue was just a poor choice of poly/rubber quality rather than the actual design of the mount itself...

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 11-07-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
I think these looks similar to the OEM design. Hmmm. They also looks less flexible since the front and rear cannot rock in place anymore. Maybe that was the issue with the old design?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Why even bother risking installation of Innovative mounts, which are known to have issues with the bushings and design, when our XLR8 mounts are already proven?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Why even bother risking installation of Innovative mounts, which are known to have issues with the bushings and design, when our XLR8 mounts are already proven?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Really, I've read some thread about having installation issues with xlr8 hardware (long bolts or something like that), and I read one thread some guy broke this xlr8 mounts. So which one is better?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I haven't used either, but based on the widespread reviews of donuting with the innovative vs the isolated issues with XLR8, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the XLR8's are probably user error. Could be wrong there but that tends to be the case when you've got several people with the same problem vs a couple people with different problems.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

the mounts actually have a place for the grounding. I hate relocating that thing.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joey tl
Really, I've read some thread about having installation issues with xlr8 hardware (long bolts or something like that), and I read one thread some guy broke this xlr8 mounts. So which one is better?
We had one customer break a tab on his front engine mount, and he was the only customer to do so. And this same customer also broke 2 sets of Innovative mounts. So out of the hundreds sold only 1 set has had a minor issue. And we sent the customer a new bracket. Our XLR8 mounts have proven to be the better option.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I have had these in my TSX now for a few months and have no issues other than increased vibes in the chassis. In discussions with Innovative, this design was specifically implemented in order to use the softer 60A bushings that were being requested by people. Frankly, Tim was glassy-eyed as to why people even want such soft bushings, but I explained to him that these are not race cars and SOME vibration damping and movement is not a bad thing. That being said, these mounts are pretty firm, even with softer bushings in place. 75A and 85A have been more popular for TSXs (btw, the pictured mounts are in fact TSX mounts...the front and rears are almost identical on the TL, the side mount is a little different on the V6).

By putting the bushing pin sidewise and installing a soft bushing, the "donuting" issue can happen (I love when an industry makes up a new word...I mean, stretching or deforming are existing words that we equally applicable, but that way you would not have a word that a newbie would find impossible know and search for, and therefore you couldn't scream at them that they need to search when they can't find any info and come out to ask the question. But I digress).

This orientation loads the bushing in a more appropriate direction for resisting deformation. It all has to do with surface area. Lateral pin, all the load is concentrated into the pushing in a small area. Flat bushing with a big washer, the load is more evenly distributed. Plus, the bushing housing on the new mount is captive meaning that as the bushing is loaded and it deforms the change is mitigated with limited expansion space. It's the same way your suspension upper-mounts are assembled.

It's pretty thoughtful actually. Honestly seeing their facility and how these are constructed gave me a new respect for "not-Hasport" mount companies. Apparently there are more than one or two good engineers out there making parts for rice burners.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrHeeltoe:
Acura TL Builder (12-30-2018), NBPacuraTL (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

We had one customer break a tab on his front engine mount, and he was the only customer to do so. And this same customer also broke 2 sets of Innovative mounts. So out of the hundreds sold only 1 set has had a minor issue. And we sent the customer a new bracket. Our XLR8 mounts have proven to be the better option.
I will support the fact that we have had no customers come back with issues with your current mounts.

The new design mounts from Innovative I have to call them what they are...innovative.

I think customers will be good with either to be honest. Having seen/touched/felt both I really do like these new mounts a lot. Then again you can't go wrong with tried and true.

For me it is a toss up. We can ship either within a day or so of a customer's order online
The following users liked this post:
thisaznboi88 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Herro

One more question for Heeltoe. Are the bushings in anyway changed? Even with the stress distribution being different, I was looking at xlr8's thread on his mounts and his bushings are obviously meatier.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
since i know i broke one of your mounting brackets i can only assume your talking about me. so lets get the numbers straight. TWO of your front mounting brackets broke on my car in the same exact spot. the mounting tab where the bolt goes snapped off. one broke when i was n/a and the other when i was slighlty boosted. this was with 75a bushings. this discussion has come up before so lets remind everyone that this was not due to an installation error. its only one bolt that connects the mounting tab to the motor and it was torqued properly. how can you mess that up?

second, i have not broke ANY innovative mounts ever. i have went through numerous bushings but the mounts and brackets are solid and have not broke even at 550whp.

the front mounting tab on the xlr8 mount is not as meaty or thick as the innovative mount. imo thats why they broke. argue with me all you want but thats my opinion.

how many boosted and high hp cars are using the xlr8 mounts?

we can go back and forth on this all day. in the end you try to blame this on install error.

yes, you did send me new brackets and thats when i sold them.

im not bashing you but everytime this subject comes up, the story changes a little.
The following 2 users liked this post by libert69:
JavierC24 (06-06-2020), NBPacuraTL (11-11-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NBPacuraTL
One more question for Heeltoe. Are the bushings in anyway changed? Even with the stress distribution being different, I was looking at xlr8's thread on his mounts and his bushings are obviously meatier.
I don't know if the bushings are any different.

Obviously XLR8's bushings need to be meatier because they are used in the horizontal load application. The Innovate mounts don't need to be larger because the load is different.

It's just a funny question...almost like saying "Well I know the F250 is for a completely different use, but can you comment on why the engine is so much larger than in my Tacoma?"
NBPacuraTL (11-19-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im in the market for new mounts,but my question is...if xlr8 is quality if u will,whats up with having to use washers?...im not 550 hp or anything like that but i do have some mods,and i do like to beat up on my tl at the track sometimes...that being said ,i want a mount that i dont have to worry about ever again if possible,its a toss up to me so far xlr8 or innovative...libert69,i want you oppinion,if you had to do it all over again which choice would you have gone with? im at that point right now im about to just go and get oem and replace all 3 and worry about the next time they go out.....however id like to avoid that if possible, theres just so many mixed reviews on the mounts,all im worried about is the quality and exact fit without the "ill make it work with washers",so oppinions welcomed......
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Herro

I have had these mounts for about two weeks now. Vibrations have settled a little but still vibrates a good amount with a/c. If comfort is your issue, then I can say it's going to be a little uncomfortable, but nothing unbearable. My gf doesn't mind it.

Now with fitment and with using washers, I had to use 3 washers on each bolt on the side mount for the flange. The stock bolts are a little too long for the slightly smaller flange on the innovative mounts. Nothing to crazy. Also, you'll have to relocate the ground that used to be on the side mount.

These mounts are awesome but is also my first aftermarket mounts. I went out to test them out as soon as I put these on and I couldn't help but smile when I spun my tires with no wheel hop whatsoever.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm in the market for new mounts and I must say these innovative mounts look great! Since the bushings are mounted vertically, there will be more surface area for the poly filling to compress so in theory they should last longer than the horizontally mounted types when the engine is rocking up and down. I don't foresee doughnut issues with these due to the revised design. I'm also way too OCD about my engine bay to be stacking washers to get the side mount to line up right. The proper shorter bolts should be included with these IMO. If these Innovative mounts come with the proper length bolts or are made with similar dimensions as the stock side mount so I can reuse the original bolts , I'm sold

Last edited by 3gstealth; 12-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NBPacuraTL
I have had these mounts for about two weeks now. Vibrations have settled a little but still vibrates a good amount with a/c. If comfort is your issue, then I can say it's going to be a little uncomfortable, but nothing unbearable. My gf doesn't mind it.

Now with fitment and with using washers, I had to use 3 washers on each bolt on the side mount for the flange. The stock bolts are a little too long for the slightly smaller flange on the innovative mounts. Nothing to crazy. Also, you'll have to relocate the ground that used to be on the side mount.

These mounts are awesome but is also my first aftermarket mounts. I went out to test them out as soon as I put these on and I couldn't help but smile when I spun my tires with no wheel hop whatsoever.

Thanks for the review! I was looking for your little fitment snaggle in my inbox somewhere so I could relay the message to Innovative but I didn't see it...
Old 05-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
this is some good news, leaning towards the innovative mounts, really cant beat lifetime warranty. haha
Old 05-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EM2typeflex
this is some good news, leaning towards the innovative mounts, really cant beat lifetime warranty. haha
Yes but why get an inferior product with a better warranty? The Innovative mounts have not been anywhere near as durable as our XLR8 mounts and the bushings tend to "donut".
Old 05-12-2014, 05:44 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sold on the innovative new design, I want a direct replacement fitment don't want to mess around with bolts and washers. yes cant beat lifetime warranty, plus for me.

Last edited by Joey tl; 05-12-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:04 PM
07 NBP 5A/T UA6 NAVI

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry for heading off topic a bit but do either come with a transmission mount? And if not are there any performance aftermarket transmission mounts?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

I wish both of these product have a hole for the grounding wire
Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes but why get an inferior product with a better warranty? The Innovative mounts have not been anywhere near as durable as our XLR8 mounts and the bushings tend to "donut".
You're right about there being a night and day difference between the mounts, XLR8 hands down, if it weren't for that lifetime warranty though on the other mounts though, I'd be sold on the XLR8s without even giving it a 2nd thought.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joey tl
I'm sold on the innovative new design, I want a direct replacement fitment don't want to mess around with bolts and washers. yes cant beat lifetime warranty, plus for me.
Ours are direct replacement. The only bolts needed were some shorter bolts for the side mount, which we include. Between bushings and brackets we've done about 5 warranties to date on hundreds upon hundreds of mount sets that have been sold. I did that amount of warranties on Innovative bushings in a week's time.

Originally Posted by JL-TL_07
Sorry for heading off topic a bit but do either come with a transmission mount? And if not are there any performance aftermarket transmission mounts?
No sorry, OE only.

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
I wish both of these product have a hole for the grounding wire
You can just re-locate the ground. That's what we do. Or sometimes my mechanic will drill a hole and tap the mount for a ground.

Originally Posted by EM2typeflex
You're right about there being a night and day difference between the mounts, XLR8 hands down, if it weren't for that lifetime warranty though on the other mounts though, I'd be sold on the XLR8s without even giving it a 2nd thought.
Between bushings and brackets we've done about 5 warranties to date on hundreds upon hundreds of mount sets that have been sold. I did that amount of warranties on Innovative bushings in a week's time. So I guess one is better if you don't mind spending the money in labor to change bushings often.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:06 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with your post 100%

Originally Posted by libert69
since i know i broke one of your mounting brackets i can only assume your talking about me. so lets get the numbers straight. TWO of your front mounting brackets broke on my car in the same exact spot. the mounting tab where the bolt goes snapped off. one broke when i was n/a and the other when i was slighlty boosted. this was with 75a bushings. this discussion has come up before so lets remind everyone that this was not due to an installation error. its only one bolt that connects the mounting tab to the motor and it was torqued properly. how can you mess that up?

second, i have not broke ANY innovative mounts ever. i have went through numerous bushings but the mounts and brackets are solid and have not broke even at 550whp.

the front mounting tab on the xlr8 mount is not as meaty or thick as the innovative mount. imo thats why they broke. argue with me all you want but thats my opinion.

how many boosted and high hp cars are using the xlr8 mounts?

we can go back and forth on this all day. in the end you try to blame this on install error.

yes, you did send me new brackets and thats when i sold them.

im not bashing you but everytime this subject comes up, the story changes a little.

The tab in the front mount snapped and the side mount bushing and housing failed on my xlr8 mounts and then when I called them about it they acted as if it was user error. Keep in mind I'm running a completely stock engine and my friend who is a mechanic with over 30+ years of experience was the one who installed them for me. The only mod we had to make of course was drill a hole in the side mount for the grounding wire. They didn't even bother to make things right. Way to stand behind your "proven" product xlr8. Oh further, it appears as if you can't even buy the mounts for 3 gen Acura TL on xlr8's site anymore when I called a 2nd time about my mounts issue some schmuck on the other end couldn't give me a clear answer and just said "they must have been discontinued". To me it appears to be an indication that xlr8 knows they put out an inferior product. I for one was not impressed with the so called quality or the way this was handled by xlr8.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:30 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
I have the current (as pictured) Innovative mounts...well, no longer the front mount because the tab on top broke pretty quickly after installation so went back to OEM. Have their side mount though, no issues and very little increase in vibration. Would have ordered the XLR8 ones but only urethane mounts I could find on their site were for the 6th gen Accords.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I have the current (as pictured) Innovative mounts...well, no longer the front mount because the tab on top broke pretty quickly after installation so went back to OEM. Have their side mount though, no issues and very little increase in vibration. Would have ordered the XLR8 ones but only urethane mounts I could find on their site were for the 6th gen Accords.
How long ago? Innovative stands behind their stuff pretty strongly...if something broke they will want to fix it!
Old 03-02-2019, 04:49 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
How long ago? Innovative stands behind their stuff pretty strongly...if something broke they will want to fix it!
I guess around April? Not sure it was their fault because the shop that did it said I had a couple transmission mounts that needed replacing (owner of the shop is no longer physically able to do the work himself after back surgery) so his employees swapped the engine mount but didn't even order the transmission mounts. Side mount turned out to be bad (had the Innovative side mount too when I went there) but they said it was fine and didn't change it out. Front mount failed pretty quickly. Didn't take it back there, now the shop is out of business anyway since the owner needed additional surgery and rehab and his employees ran it into the ground during his absence.

Different shop put in an OEM front mount, the Innovative side mount and replaced 3 transmission mounts which they say probably contributed to the quick failure of the Innovative front mount.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
I recently installed a set of innovative mounts. They look impressive, minimal vibrations. Haven’t driven with them on yet though. Install was simple, but you may have to use two larger nuts as spacers on the side mount to get a right fit.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Can you guys post up what firmness you guys got on your mounts, how old they are and how they’re holding up? Between old threads and new ones my head is spinning with opinions
Old 03-05-2019, 11:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ossman14
Can you guys post up what firmness you guys got on your mounts, how old they are and how they’re holding up? Between old threads and new ones my head is spinning with opinions
Most people end up with the 60A or 75A. They feel pretty much the same but the 75A will allow a little less engine movement. As far as we know, customer reports, they have been reliable and we sell a really good solid volume on these every week.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
I got the 60A. I only idled the car with them on. There is a vibration, but it’s much less than I was expecting by other reports here.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:30 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I have had the 85A Rear mount for two years now. There is some vibration at idle, I hardly feel the engine moving now. Maybe the vibration isn't bad because I still have the oem trans mount and passenger mount. I do plan on replacing those with 75A.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
I've been running these 60a motor mounts since 2015. Purchased december 2014. The mounts are good but completely ruin the luxury car experience.

I waited 3 years for them to fully "break in". They never broke in. The vibration is very extreme, and especially noticeable in the summer. I can hear my car shaking/rattling in drive throughs and my dash cam vibrates like crazy when I watch the videos. The effect is most noticeable with the transmission in drive, and stopped at a red light with the a/c on. Everytime I visit a mechanic shop for some small reason they always give me shit for having these mounts because the car doesn't idle right.

With that being said the car drives pretty freaking good with them and I (supposedly) don't have to ever replace them.

Last year I changed the rear mount out with OEM and the ride now has the luxury feel again. The other 2 are still the innovative mounts. If you want to get the mounts don't be like me and wait for them to break in. Just install the front and side ones.
TigerJS (02-04-2024)
Old 03-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
i have the xlr8 mounts but similar to the comment above, i always tell people to only install the front and side of these. keep the rear oem. i've had both 60 and 75, to me there was no difference between them, but no matter what you do only use front and side if you want to keep any bit of luxury or respect when people ride in your cars haha

that being said, i absolutely love my mounts!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I want o know how bad the vibrations really are lol. Some say it isn’t bad. Others act like it’s the end of the world. I’ve already got the car lowered so I lost some of the “luxury”. I also have a 6mt so I’m wondering if that would make a difference in driving experience as well
Old 03-07-2019, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
I want o know how bad the vibrations really are lol. Some say it isn’t bad. Others act like it’s the end of the world. I’ve already got the car lowered so I lost some of the “luxury”. I also have a 6mt so I’m wondering if that would make a difference in driving experience as well
it's for sure objective. but i know i was embarrassed to have anyone in the car if the AC was running, for real embarrassed. and my car is far from luxury with all my mods on my 6mt
Old 03-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
ive been in plenty of lowered cars. they definitely don't lose their luxury aspect (if applicable) when being lowered

these mounts will definitely take the luxury out of the car

don't get me wrong i'm not trying to knock the product. it is a good product. but it is definitely extreme and will take the luxury aspect out of the car. definitely not a mod i would consider for a daily driver. but if you install 2/3 of them its a mod i would consider for a daily driver

Quick Reply: Redesigned Innovative Motor Mounts?