AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/)
-   -   Rear muffler delete and resonator delete (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/rear-muffler-delete-resonator-delete-942792/)

SpeedyDino8 03-06-2016 12:45 PM

Rear muffler delete and resonator delete

Ok so I am currently running a rear muffler delete and a resonator delete. I'm think of welding a dynomax resonator. In my opinion, the exhaust setup I have sounds nice, but it's mostly just noise, no tone to it whatsoever. On WOT, it sounds pretty nice, but the rasp and drone is insane. I'm thinking the dynomax resonator will give a tone to the exhaust install, is this true?

bakaryu18 03-06-2016 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello there!

So your car has 3 mufflers after the resonator. You're telling me you cut our the stock resonator, the last two Mufflers, and left in the mid-muffler. Now you want to fix the noise, is that correct?

okay put your stock resonator back on and get two new exhaust pipes of your choice for the tail end. That should fix your problem.

Unless you want a "new" resonator to replace the stock one. Even if you do there wont be a difference in sound compared to the stock

This is what I did to my car. Let me show you with pictures

This is a mid muffler delete
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...54fb99a417.jpg

I replaced the mid muffler with a 22in MF glasspack aka resonator. You can kinda see that there are two resonators there. Having two equalizes the interior rattle/drone.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...deade040c9.jpg

This is the two muffler delete at the tail end of the car
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6a50979a09.jpg

TL;DR: I deleted all my mufflers and have two resonators. Stock and MF.

SpeedyDino8 03-06-2016 02:19 PM

I'm mainly looking to give my exhaust note a deeper tone and reduce the rasp without having to pay for a full catback setup.

bakaryu18 03-06-2016 02:38 PM

Do you still have the mid muffler???

Well since you cut out the stock resonator I suppose you wouldn't want it back on because you wont feel good about having an old piece welded back on.

Go to an exhaust shop and ask for a cheap large resonator that will fit and that should fix your problem. Did you straight pipe and get tips?

Can you show pics? go under your car and take pics of what you've had done.

SpeedyDino8 03-06-2016 02:43 PM

yes i still have mid muffler. It's just the rears and resonators that have been deleted and replaced with straight pipes. I also do have custom tips. I can't take pics of my car because I my jack is broken, but that's what I have done. I still have the oem resonators and rear mufflers sitting in my garage in case if I wanted to put the back on.

bakaryu18 03-06-2016 03:12 PM

Replace the stock resonator with a larger one.

Put your stock resonator in the trunk and take it with you as a reference.

foxriderar77 03-09-2016 04:03 PM

dynomax resonater will probably be worse, you need a super long resonator, or replace the rear mufflers with magnaflows

llllBULLSEYE 03-09-2016 05:07 PM

I replaced mine with Dynomax Resonator and sounds great no rasp.
This is on an automatic type S

champaned_out 03-09-2016 08:14 PM

why did you decide to remove the 2 rear mufflers?

i removed the mid muffler aka 3rd muffler and straight piped it, then replaced the stock resonator with a Dynomax 24215.. i also removed the air intake resonator as well

theres no rasp throughout the rpm range, just a deeper and more defined tone thats slightly more audible than stock.. with this setup 2500 rpm is the deepest and loudest it gets, it starts to level off a bit closer to stock then gets alittle louder as you reach redline. The tone is much deeper throughout the rpm band if that makes sense

heres the amazon link to the dynomax , theres even other 3rd Gen TL reviews on there so you can see what they said about it... also the 24215 is a direct swap, size is 17.5" which is just around what the stock resonator is and the in and outlet are the same size as well.. again there is absolutely no rasp or droning at all with my setup so you can ignore the people telling you that there will be more, they dont know what they're talking about

SpeedyDino8 03-10-2016 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by champaned_out (Post 15700124)
why did you decide to remove the 2 rear mufflers?

i removed the mid muffler aka 3rd muffler and straight piped it, then replaced the stock resonator with a Dynomax 24215.. i also removed the air intake resonator as well

theres no rasp throughout the rpm range, just a deeper and more defined tone thats slightly more audible than stock.. with this setup 2500 rpm is the deepest and loudest it gets, it starts to level off a bit closer to stock then gets alittle louder as you reach redline. The tone is much deeper throughout the rpm band if that makes sense

heres the amazon link to the dynomax Amazon.com: Dynomax 24215 Race Bullet Muffler: Automotive, theres even other 3rd Gen TL reviews on there so you can see what they said about it... also the 24215 is a direct swap, size is 17.5" which is just around what the stock resonator is and the in and outlet are the same size as well.. again there is absolutely no rasp or droning at all with my setup so you can ignore the people telling you that there will be more, they dont know what they're talking about

I don't know honestly. I guess I just wanted to go a different route and setup.

llllBULLSEYE 03-10-2016 04:36 PM

Oh yeah That' s the same resonator I got :thumbsup:
Speedydino8 put those mufflers back in there. I can only imagine how
loud that sounds.

SpeedyDino8 03-10-2016 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE (Post 15700906)
Oh yeah That' s the same resonator I got :thumbsup:
Speedydino8 put those mufflers back in there. I can only imagine how
loud that sounds.

lol i 'll make a video

SpeedyDino8 03-15-2016 12:07 AM

For anyone curious of what my setup sounds like, here's a link

Scottwax 03-18-2016 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE (Post 15700006)
I replaced mine with Dynomax Resonator and sounds great no rasp.
This is on an automatic type S

:thumbsup:

I've got the XLR8 v2 J-pipe and removed the mid muffler. Removed the stock resonator and got the same result as the TS (even though I still have the OEM rear mufflers) with the rasp, especially at part throttle. Added back a Dynomax like you did and rasp was instantly gone. Very quiet at freeway speeds, nice tone at idle and WOT without being ricer loud.

Actually gave a ride to a friend of mine who has an Audi Q5 and he wanted to know what I did to my car so he could make his Q5 sound like mine. :)

OculiAquilae 03-18-2016 02:15 PM

I have rear muffler deletes only on my 06 TL 6MT:
I know they're different cars, but with your setup it seems to have kept more of the low rumble tonality, most noticeably above 3k or 4k vs my setup.
I guess it depends on what you want sound wise from your exhaust. If you want it to sound pretty much exactly like it does, but without the drone.... I'd say reinstall your OE resonator....OR get an aftermarket res.

OculiAquilae 03-18-2016 02:19 PM

Also, since we're on the topic of exhaust.... I started a thread yesterday in the general 3G TL forum section called "Exhaust Setups - Collection/Archive w/audio"- I'm wanting to have an area where people curious about other exhaust setups can go to listen to (ideally) any variation of exhaust setups for the 3G TL. If any of you are willing to post clips of your exhaust setups in there and describe your setup, I'd appreciate it.

LucasG90 03-25-2016 06:04 PM

hey man, i just got a base tl 07. this is actually my first post here. I was looking to make my tl sound a little...well...nicer. im interested in switching the resonator for that amazon link you provided. should i also remove the mid muffler and str8 pipe it? what are your recommendations?thanks!

MarcoNorthPolo 03-28-2016 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by LucasG90 (Post 15712433)
hey man, i just got a base tl 07. this is actually my first post here. I was looking to make my tl sound a little...well...nicer. im interested in switching the resonator for that amazon link you provided. should i also remove the mid muffler and str8 pipe it? what are your recommendations?thanks!

Short answer, yes. You shouldn't have any rasp with that setup.

maharajamd 03-28-2016 10:13 AM

I have a base 6spd, rv6 v3 HFPCs and jpipe, stock exhaust with mid mufflers removed and quad tips. And I love the way my car sounds...

GroundedCustom 05-31-2016 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by bakaryu18 (Post 15697042)
Hello there!

So your car has 3 mufflers after the resonator. You're telling me you cut our the stock resonator, the last two Mufflers, and left in the mid-muffler. Now you want to fix the noise, is that correct?

okay put your stock resonator back on and get two new exhaust pipes of your choice for the tail end. That should fix your problem.

Unless you want a "new" resonator to replace the stock one. Even if you do there wont be a difference in sound compared to the stock

This is what I did to my car. Let me show you with pictures

This is a mid muffler delete
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...54fb99a417.jpg

I replaced the mid muffler with a 22in MF glasspack aka resonator. You can kinda see that there are two resonators there. Having two equalizes the interior rattle/drone.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...deade040c9.jpg

This is the two muffler delete at the tail end of the car
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6a50979a09.jpg

TL;DR: I deleted all my mufflers and have two resonators. Stock and MF.

And what did this accomplish?! Did you get a good tone out of it?! Any drone?!

Im looking to go the same route but i have a CLs, mid muff deleted with straight pipe. Looking to add a long 22" resanantor in its spot, loose both oem mufflers and replace with two dynomax resanators(linked above) in esch mufflers place and sttaight pipe the last foot to tips.

Any input

bakaryu18 05-31-2016 03:32 PM

It has better back pressure now that I added the second resonator to it and sounds much better with tail end straight piped. The car feels quicker and sounds better since those heavy mufflers were removed.

I seafoamed my gas tank, engine, and vacuum line and that also is helping my high mileage car breath better...

Hope you and your car are doing well brother.

getakey 06-25-2018 10:00 PM

I like everything but the stripe

bmoua15 06-26-2018 12:31 PM

A different set of rims would go great with the strips, great job man! Thanks for the upload.

wallyo 07-03-2018 07:41 PM

On the tires, I'm wondering about ride quality and road noise compared to the original Continentals, though perhaps those issues are not high on your list. Thanks, Wally

Shan786 06-26-2019 05:36 PM

Looks clean. I ordered the Vinyl and should be getting them tomorrow. Will be my project to delete chrome over the weekend.

This will be my first time doing this so any guidance would be great. I plan to black out the grill and chrome at the bottom (front & back)

EL.CHATO 06-27-2019 10:53 AM

Low Deep and Loud

I was looking to get a low rumble but at the same time I want it to be loud. I have a 2007 Acura TL Type S. Do y’all have some suggestions?

donluman 02-22-2021 08:14 PM

Exhaust

Ok.... I’m trying to decide between:
  1. resonator delete (all of them) and leaving the stock mufflers
  2. resonator delete and buy new mufflers (flow master, borla whatever)
  3. full cat back replacement system
obviously - not trying to spend thousand of dollars but I would really love to get a deep growl out of my V6 Aspec. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Blakep93 02-28-2021 01:40 PM

I recently did everything except delete the rear mufflers, mid muffler delete with dynomax 24215, and race pipe from ATLP "heeltoe"... I ordered the j pipe v2 and race pipe but the j pipe was delayed so I went ahead and put the race pipe on... I am pleased, if youd like to hear what that setup sounds like I'll be glad to post a video, honestly I think if I removed the rear mufflers it'd be too much, too loud.. which isn't what I was going for but I like the way it sounds now the race pipe (third cat delete) changed the sound and flow ALOT