Rear brake job .

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 08:37 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brake job .

Time for rear brakes. Looking to replace the rotors as well. Any suggestions on brands and it where to find them?
odd thing is the driver side is gone but passenger side is brand new looking-ish. Any and all help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:50 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
you have a dragging caliper. you might as well make a whole event out of it and change fluid, the dragging caliper, the pads and the rotors.

you can always go the tried and true route of centric rotors and pads...
I've also had GREAT results with Autozone's Duralast GOLD series of pads and rotors!
anything will stop the car, the issue is...how much are you willing to pay? if you arent concerned with high performance pads and rotors, I'd go with the Autozone route. Great results!!
if you want to step up the performance a bit, you could do the centric rotors and pair it with an EBC pad.
up to and your wallet.

Brake fluid is Hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from the atmosphere. Needs to be changed every 3 years, or water will collect in the brake lines and eventually causes the caliper to lock up with rust...I suspect that is what is happening to your rear driver side caliper. it has locked up and wore out the rotor/pad.
you can grab a replacement caliper from rockauto.com

last but not least, change the fluid!!!!
Only DOT 3 !!!!
if you want a higher boiling brake fluid, you could step it up to DOT 5.1
BUT NEVER DOT 5
The following users liked this post:
gatrhumpy (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 08:57 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brake job

Okay 👌 thanks.
appreciate the help
Old 10-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
you have a dragging caliper. you might as well make a whole event out of it and change fluid, the dragging caliper, the pads and the rotors.

you can always go the tried and true route of centric rotors and pads...
I've also had GREAT results with Autozone's Duralast GOLD series of pads and rotors!
anything will stop the car, the issue is...how much are you willing to pay? if you arent concerned with high performance pads and rotors, I'd go with the Autozone route. Great results!!
if you want to step up the performance a bit, you could do the centric rotors and pair it with an EBC pad.
up to and your wallet.

Brake fluid is Hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from the atmosphere. Needs to be changed every 3 years, or water will collect in the brake lines and eventually causes the caliper to lock up with rust...I suspect that is what is happening to your rear driver side caliper. it has locked up and wore out the rotor/pad.
you can grab a replacement caliper from rockauto.com

last but not least, change the fluid!!!!
Only DOT 3 !!!!
if you want a higher boiling brake fluid, you could step it up to DOT 5.1
BUT NEVER DOT 5
To add to this: It would be best to change both calipers. A good rule to follow is if you change anything that comes in pairs... then do it. Especially for high wear parts.

Also also: Rockauto might still have warehouse deals on brake pads and rotors. I got the email from them 2-3 weeks ago... I forgot. Time has been hazy since Covid lockdowns.
The following 2 users liked this post by o4Komodo:
justnspace (10-10-2020), Ted Kief (10-11-2020)