Questions about performance mods ! AT

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016 | 09:44 AM
Bigboy6029

Questions about performance mods ! AT

Acura Tl 05 base model AT (live in quebec city, Canada)
So i have some questions about performance parts swap for my automatic Tl!
Here is what i have done already,
- Performance break pads/rotors
- Custom exhaust with magna flow mufflers and OEM tips
(can't find type s one -_-)
- CAI
I know some weight reduction could be good to but i keep this for last!
My questions are about LSD, flywheel, clutch, cams(type s) and springs(type s).

Can we put a lsd on the auto trans or not ? I read the manual model have it, could we swap one on the auto ? Is it worth it to change flywheel and clutch to reduce friction and thus increase power at the wheels ?

What advantage does the type s cams have over the stock one ? except 20 pounds less... What will it do ?

Anyone tried the type s springs ? Are they that much stiffer or any change ?

After getting all the parts install i'll get a dyno tune and post up numbers for what it's worth !

Thanks for the help, I speak french too if it is easier for yall!
Old 04-03-2016 | 10:02 AM
Pro

LSD, Flywheel, Clutch? Uh yeah no.

As for information on cams, take a look at this thread : https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...3-2-tl-872817/

If you want to go stiffer might as well go with some H&R/Tein springs which aren't too expensive and will perform better in terms of stiffness (not ride quality) than Type-S springs

To be honest, for performance the 5AT is a weak platform and you won't reap much reward from it. These are the WHP figures for AT/MT & Base/Type-S cars:
Originally Posted by truonghthe
Here how it goes.
Base AT 205-210 WHP
Base MT 225-230 WHP
Type S AT 230 WHP
Type S MT 250 WHP
All of the number above base on bone stock car.
My advice as many others would say, is to leave modifications to aesthetics. In the end modifying the engine in the 5AT platform will most likely leave you unsatisfied and that you've wasted a ton of time and money. Not to mention that the 5AT may be prone to failure and trying to put more power through it will just put more stress on it. If you wish to mod the engine maybe try & get into a 6MT as you can see the drive-train losses associated with both transmissions.

Just my

Last edited by mtiaz; 04-03-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-03-2016 | 10:18 AM
Bigboy6029

That's exactly what i wanted to know thank you! I wanted a six speed manual at first but they are so rare here it'a crazy plus if you find one it's 3-5k more expensive and 50k miles older -.- like WTH ! W/e thanks !
Old 04-03-2016 | 10:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Enrick Gatien
That's exactly what i wanted to know thank you! I wanted a six speed manual at first but they are so rare here it'a crazy plus if you find one it's 3-5k more expensive and 50k miles older -.- like WTH ! W/e thanks !
There are more and more decent examples starting to appear if you are willing to travel to Ontario or even the Prairies to get your car. You can do two things: either mod your current car aesthetically or keep the mods to an absolute minimum and find yourself a 6MT to mod.